- Graphics Cards
- Peripherals & Accessories
- Why ROG?
- ROG PRO
- About ROG
Firstly, a huge thanks to ROG forum member, Cecil_2099, for putting this guide together. We’ve modified it only slightly from the original forum thread, which can be found here for further discussion.
Using ASUS AI Recovery Utility To Backup A G75
- Firstly - make sure you update the AI Recovery Utility to at least 1.0.24 to enable to support for >1TB hard drives. See the G75 product page (download tab –> utilities) for the update.
- If you haven’t already, use the AI Recovery Utility to version 1.0.24 or newer to burn your ASUS Recovery DVDs. You should do this prior to uninstalling any software prior to reformatting/wiping/re-partitioning your hard drive. For example, on the Best Buy G75VW-BBK5 you will end up with three (3) DVDR/DVDRWs.
Using ASUS AI Recovery DVD To Restore A G75
- A few notes/assumptions prior to starting:
- Your computer is off and no DVDs are in the optical drive.
- You have only one drive connected to the G75 on the right-hand drive bay (based on the drive caddy letter) and that is the drive you want to restore TO.
- It doesn’t matter if the drive is an HDD or SSD and the size does not matter.
- Start up your computer and immediately press the ‘Esc’ key until you see the following screen appear:
- Place the first ASUS Recovery DVD into your optical drive.
- Select your optical drive (on my G75VW-BBK5 that is the HL-DT-ST drive) and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- You will get a black screen with the words “Windows is loading files…” above a grey bar at the bottom, that will eventually fill white:
- Windows will load and you will get a dialogue box titled “AI RECOVERY” saying “Are you ready to restore this image?” Click the ‘OK’ button.
- You will get another “AI RECOVERY” dialogue box, this time telling you “Restoring will overwrite your hard drive. Do you want to continue?” Click the ‘OK’ button.
- If you are using the ASUS Recovery DVDs to restore onto a new hard drive, you may get another “AI RECOVERY” dialogue box saying “Your disk layout has been changed. AI Recovery needs to partition your disk again. You will lose all the data in your disk if you continue with the data recovery operation.” (Bold highlight is my own). Click the ‘OK’ button.
- Otherwise you will see an “AI Recovery Restore” dialogue box that says “This DVD/BD will help you recover a hidden partition. Check the AC adapter connection and do not interrupt the restoration process.” This will now show a progress indicator.
- The computer will automatically eject the first DVD and prompt you to insert the second DVD, then later the third DVD.
- When that is complete, the last DVD will eject and an “AI RECOVERY” dialogue box will tell you that it has “Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD/BD. Elapsed time: XX:XX:XX”. Click ‘OK’. (It took me 00:43:23 (43 minutes) to restore the recovery partition.)
- The computer will restart and you’ll get another black “Windows is loading files…” screen.
- Windows will then start and you will get a menu screen followed by an “ASUS Preload Wizard” dialogue that asks you to select your language to continue. Pick your language and click the ‘Next >’ button.
- Click through the next screen.
- On the next screen you can choose which ever option you feel is best.
- Click through the next screen.
- Click ‘Finish’ to start the process.
- There is no further input required, so simply leave the computer alone to install Windows. You will see a series of loading screens and the computer will restart itself at least 6 times. Whatever you do, do not disturb the process. It doesn’t matter if it prompts you for something or restarts on its own, it’s best just to leave it alone to finish everything.
- When you see the following screen, you know the recovery process has completed successfully.
Congratulations, your G75 is now back to it’s factory-like condition!
In total, it took about 1.5 hours to complete: 43 minutes to recreate the recovery partition from the DVDs and another 50 minutes to restore back to factory state.
Source: ROG Forums
▼ Related Articles
ASUS Z77 Motherboard UEFI BIOS Tuning Guide
( Relevance » 6.7 )
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Learn To DIY
Want to learn how to best build your own PC? Download or read our free guide right here!
ROG Forum Hot Threads
Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Protest OS support! We Pay No SAY? BS!!!!
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
16:12:58 17 May, 2013 · 66 replie(s)
- A word of warning regarding GEN3 su...
15:31:53 4 May, 2013 · 56 replie(s)
- Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won...
14:27:23 4 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU...
09:09:29 8 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got rea...
03:22:07 4 May, 2013 · 47 replie(s)
- Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Cros...
09:16:05 2 May, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
15:25:40 4 May, 2013 · 43 replie(s)
- Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totall...
20:17:26 9 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Ima...
19:44:00 12 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
06:15:48 4 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- Can't find video card in Windows
22:43:31 19 May, 2013 · 35 replie(s)
- Newly Build System gets stuck on St...
12:49:48 23 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- rampage will not boot
10:13:56 6 May, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BH...
01:46:34 30 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
11:46:52 18 May, 2013 · 33 replie(s)
- Last desperate attempt to cool the ...
11:56:01 3 May, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
19:15:53 27 Apr, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- What are normal temperatures at idl...
19:17:17 24 Apr, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- Wtf is up with this site???
05:29:17 19 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel st...
11:14:08 7 May, 2013 · 29 replie(s)
[SIZE=2]I gave Asus support an ultimatum, two weeks for Win 7 suppo...By Arif013, in "General Discussion"A word of warning regarding GEN3 support and SB-E.
I've been working a lot on my work projects these last few days and...By Nodens, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won't take.
I just installed my samsung 840 pros, set up the array with latest ...By Lynkdev, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU's around
Hi All, Could someone kindly assist me with the following issue ...By Malachor, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got really hot and shut everything down!
Hello ROG, I just recently built a new desktop for the first tim...By ToddJW, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z + AMD FX-8350
Hello, I have a big problem with my new system building. I us...By ibogee, in "Crosshair Series Motherboards"ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
[url]http://wccftech.com/asus-z87-motherboards-unveiled-maximus-vi-...By kkn, in "General Discussion"Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totally unlocked - 2nd time by DJ_OXyGeNe_8
Before we did it with matrix bios, but now we'll not use Matrix bio...By DJ_OXyGeNe_8, in "Radeon Series Graphic Cards"AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Image Windows 8 G75VX
Hi. New in Asus Download. -Backup factory Image: Usb Device +14Gb ...By DvvDROG, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
Ok its a bit of a long one this. I just purchased a second hand Ex...By kPATm, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Can't find video card in Windows
Hello all!! I recently bought a maximus v formula board, but I a...By bigmen2007, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Newly Build System gets stuck on Starting Windows screen?
Hey everyone... ^_^ How r u all? Nice to meet u all... ^_^ Wel...By syaoran7li, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"rampage will not boot
Hi, gotta problem. computer will not boot at all, no post, no fans,...By hohmann, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BHI7N07 From Newegg...
...And I'm hoping you kind folks (with much more knowledge than I) ...By SHADO, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
Hallo, Im expiriencing very strange memory behavior. I get Bsod's...By kocy33, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Last desperate attempt to cool the CPU by air!
Hi people, This is a modification,... since I have no other choi...By sandro c, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
How many of you here have Gamer partner... I haven't met gamer gir...By Pratham, in "General Discussion"What are normal temperatures at idle/load/extreme load modes?
I have Ramapge IV Extreme, Core i7 3930k, Corsair Dominator GT CMT1...By Pratham, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Wtf is up with this site???
why do i now have to enter a password and a verification code every...By m.oreilly, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel stopped working, CPU idle temp 60.
Hi guys, just as the topic says. Well here is info, hope you can ...By Sttyx, in "Older G Series Notebooks"
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
- Annnnnnd the new Maximus VI Gene! http://t.co/XV2quosy8G about 1 day ago
- TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 with Thermal Armor, TUF Fortifier, and Dust Defender. http://t.co/OcTeH7Kcrf about 2 days ago
- GRYPHON ARMOR KIT http://t.co/7Jrr0Vcd2N about 2 days ago
- TUF GRYPHON Z87 http://t.co/YVWc4tEQYs about 2 days ago
- The new Maximus VI Extreme. Full details coming soon! http://t.co/2Vwn5SHQQN about 2 days ago
- http://t.co/1OoRwZXwHM about 3 days ago