- Graphics Cards
- Peripherals & Accessories
- Why ROG?
- ROG PRO
- About ROG
The first ever 14″ G series gaming notebook has just launched, named the G46VW. The aim of the G46 was to make a smaller, lighter and easier to carry gaming notebook, while still retaining all the performance of its bigger brothers.
Building on the 5th gen design with its rear exhausts, the G46 tweaks the styling with slightly more angular rear vents, versus the G55. Even though the G46 is smaller it keeps the dual-cooling setup, with independent fans for GPU and CPU, so the thermal performance is never compromised on these two major components. The entire backlit keyboard and wrist-rest use a single piece of brushed aluminum, which tapers downwards towards the user by a few degrees. This ergonomically tailored incline has been a feature on all G series models since the G74, and it continues to be a part of G46 design.
Connectivity along both sides includes 3x USB 3 ports, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, 802.11n or .ac WiFi, Bluetooth v4, Gigabit Ethernet & SD/MMC card slot. A Kensington lock is at the back.
- Intel Core i5-3210M or Core i7-3610QM
- 1366 x 768 anti-glare display (additional resolutions to be added at a later date)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 and Nvidia Optimus Technology to dynamically switch between Nvidia GPU and Intel IGP.
- 3D display support to an external display via HDMI 1.4 & DisplayPort 1.2
- Intel Thunderbolt option at a later date
- ASUS SonicMaster Lite audio (2.0 stereo speakers. 25x14mm: same size as G75)
- Up to 16GB DDR3 1,600MHz (2x8GB)
- 1x mSATA SSD slot and 1x 2.5″ HDD/Hybrid HDD options (RAID 1/0 options between the two)
- 802.11n and 802.11ac Wireless options
- Bluetooth v4
- ASUS Super Hybrid Engine II with 2 second resume time for up to 2 weeks (depending on battery level). No loss of data even if battery empties.
- Built in HD camera and array microphone
- Windows 8/Windows 8 Pro options
- 34.8 x 26.1 x 2.3-3.8cm dimensions.
- 2.5kg (5.5lb)
As you can see from the list above it packs the same GeForce GTX 660M as the G55, making it the fastest 14″ gaming notebook in its class. It also now has Nvidia Optimius dynamic switching technology built in too.
If you still can’t live without HDD capacity, spec’ing an mSATA SSD boosts speeds with SSD performance, while the standard 2.5″ drive offers the extra storage size. There’s also Hybrid HDD/SSD options as well, which offer performance approaching full SSD through advanced caching technologies.
Intel CPU options include the full Core i7 3160QM quad-core with HyperThreading that boosts to 3.3GHz or fast Core i5-3210M dual-core with HyperThreading, depending on your needs and budget. Both use Intel’s latest 22nm technology with the lowest power transistors to date, maximizing battery life, although the offset of opting for the dual-core is that it’s TDP is 10W lower, affording slightly better battery life again.
Given its smaller, slender size there’s no room for an optical drive, but since most games are available direct through Steam, Origin or your favorite digital distribution service these days it’s likely not missed by most people, and you can supplement any optical Blu-ray requirement via a USB drive, like the ASUS SBC-06D2X-U.
Please note that currently the G46VW is limited to the US market only. Announcements about availability in further markets and specification updates will be made in due course. Any questions comments, drop them in our forums!
▼ Related Articles
ASUS ROG Releases the 14” G Series G46VW Gaming Notebook
( Relevance » 13.8 )
ASUS Unveils The ROG TYTAN CG8890 Gaming Desktop PC
( Relevance » 8.8 )
ASUS ROG G75VW Gaming Notebook: Two New Videos
( Relevance » 9.9 )
G75VW Gaming Performance
( Relevance » 9.7 )
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Learn To DIY
Want to learn how to best build your own PC? Download or read our free guide right here!
ROG Forum Hot Threads
A word of warning regarding GEN3 support and SB-E.
- A word of warning regarding GEN3 su...
15:31:53 4 May, 2013 · 56 replie(s)
- PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU...
09:09:29 8 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won...
14:27:23 4 May, 2013 · 55 replie(s)
- Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Prote...
16:12:58 17 May, 2013 · 53 replie(s)
- Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got rea...
03:22:07 4 May, 2013 · 47 replie(s)
- ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
15:25:40 4 May, 2013 · 46 replie(s)
- Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Cros...
09:16:05 2 May, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- Can't find video card in Windows
22:43:31 19 May, 2013 · 41 replie(s)
- Air Cooling in very Hot Climate - t...
11:56:01 3 May, 2013 · 40 replie(s)
- Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totall...
20:17:26 9 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
06:15:48 4 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Ima...
19:44:00 12 May, 2013 · 36 replie(s)
- rampage will not boot
10:13:56 6 May, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BH...
01:46:34 30 Apr, 2013 · 34 replie(s)
- Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
11:46:52 18 May, 2013 · 33 replie(s)
- Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
19:15:53 27 Apr, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel st...
11:14:08 7 May, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- What are normal temperatures at idl...
19:17:17 24 Apr, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- Wtf is up with this site???
05:29:17 19 May, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- New bios 4004
17:09:36 14 May, 2013 · 29 replie(s)
I've been working a lot on my work projects these last few days and...By Nodens, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"PC Fails to POST after swapping GPU's around
Hi All, Could someone kindly assist me with the following issue ...By Malachor, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Cant get RAID0 working, Drivers won't take.
I just installed my samsung 840 pros, set up the array with latest ...By Lynkdev, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Discuss: Asus Doesn't Listen! Protest OS support! We Pay No SAY? BS!!!!
[SIZE=2]I gave Asus support an ultimatum, two weeks for Win 7 suppo...By Arif013, in "General Discussion"Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got really hot and shut everything down!
Hello ROG, I just recently built a new desktop for the first tim...By ToddJW, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"ASUS Z87 Motherboards Unveiled
[url]http://wccftech.com/asus-z87-motherboards-unveiled-maximus-vi-...By kkn, in "General Discussion"Freezes on Windows 7 with ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z + AMD FX-8350
Hello, I have a big problem with my new system building. I us...By ibogee, in "Crosshair Series Motherboards"Can't find video card in Windows
Hello all!! I recently bought a maximus v formula board, but I a...By bigmen2007, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"Air Cooling in very Hot Climate - the Sandro way
Hi people, This is a modification,... since I have no other choi...By sandro c, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Asus DCU II 7970 Top voltage totally unlocked - 2nd time by DJ_OXyGeNe_8
Before we did it with matrix bios, but now we'll not use Matrix bio...By DJ_OXyGeNe_8, in "Radeon Series Graphic Cards"Maximus IV Extreme problems. Help Please
Ok its a bit of a long one this. I just purchased a second hand Ex...By kPATm, in "Maximus Series Motherboards"AsusBacktracker Backup Factory Image Windows 8 G75VX
Hi. New in Asus Download. -Backup factory Image: Usb Device +14Gb ...By DvvDROG, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"rampage will not boot
Hi, gotta problem. computer will not boot at all, no post, no fans,...By hohmann, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Just Ordered A Refurbished G75VW-BHI7N07 From Newegg...
...And I'm hoping you kind folks (with much more knowledge than I) ...By SHADO, in "G75, G55 & G46 Series Notebooks"Strange Memory Failure extreme iv
Hallo, Im expiriencing very strange memory behavior. I get Bsod's...By kocy33, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Gamer Boyfriend-Girlfriend
How many of you here have Gamer partner... I haven't met gamer gir...By Pratham, in "General Discussion"G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel stopped working, CPU idle temp 60.
Hi guys, just as the topic says. Well here is info, hope you can ...By Sttyx, in "Older G Series Notebooks"What are normal temperatures at idle/load/extreme load modes?
I have Ramapge IV Extreme, Core i7 3930k, Corsair Dominator GT CMT1...By Pratham, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Wtf is up with this site???
why do i now have to enter a password and a verification code every...By m.oreilly, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"New bios 4004
There is a New bios 4004 and there is this : Rampage IV Extreme ...By MMXMMX, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"
- A word of warning regarding GEN3 su...
- ROG is proud to present.. Maximus VI Hero!! http://t.co/xqp6UwPC2d about 8 hours ago
- Annnnnnd the new Maximus VI Gene! http://t.co/XV2quosy8G about 3 days ago
- TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 with Thermal Armor, TUF Fortifier, and Dust Defender. http://t.co/OcTeH7Kcrf about 4 days ago
- GRYPHON ARMOR KIT http://t.co/7Jrr0Vcd2N about 4 days ago
- TUF GRYPHON Z87 http://t.co/YVWc4tEQYs about 4 days ago
- The new Maximus VI Extreme. Full details coming soon! http://t.co/2Vwn5SHQQN about 5 days ago