- Graphics Cards
- Headphones & Headsets
- Keyboards & Mice
- Sound Cards
- RAIDR Express SSD
- Why ROG?
- ROG PRO
- About ROG
3. Adjusting Voltages
- Extreme Tweaker – Scroll down to the voltages:
- CPU Voltage – Manual
- CPU Manual Voltage – Type in the value 1.250 or use the + symbol on your keyboard until you see the value 1.250 in the active pane.
- DRAM Voltage – Set the voltage to the recommended voltage as specified on your DDR3 set of ram.
- There is no need to change any other values at this time.
- Press F10 and select yes and enter.
- Allow the motherboard to boot into Operating System. The board might reboot itself a few times; that is normal and nothing to worry about.
- AI Suite II (available from the product pages): This includes hardware monitor, CPU frequency checking, temperature status and fan monitor.
- Download and install CPU-Z.
- HWMonitor – this is a handy tool that is very useful for monitoring your temperatures.
- CoreTemp – exactly what the name says, this application will monitor your temperature of the motherboard.
Tip: Never have two temperature monitoring applications active at the same time. This will likely result in one or both readings being incorrect and just confuse the issue. Use only one.
4. Stress Testing
Download a stress test of your choice, there are many different variations and each one has their own strengths and weaknesses. I use Prime95 but any one of the following will be suitable such as IntelBurnTest, LinX or OCCT to name a few.
Now that we have overclocked our system a little, currently we are at 4GHz it is important to constantly monitor stability and temperature.
- Open Prime95 and when asked if you wish to use the program as it was originally intended or the stress testing, select the stress testing.
- Now select test from the navigation bar at the top, and run the Torture test.
- You have 4 options I suggest you choose Blend as it stress every aspect of your overclocked system.
- Select 8 threads if you are using a 2600K or 2700K processor or 4 threads if you are using the 2500K processor.
- Open your temperature monitoring application and note the idle temperature. I suggest writing this number down.
- Start Prime95 and let the application run for an hour.
If your system crashes or is unstable you can tell by the following:
- Errors in Prime95 will result in the green icon turning red and stating a thread has been terminated.
- Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)
- Screen lock-ups
- System Restarts
How to fix instability or crashing:
- Go back into the BIOS and navigate back to the Extreme Tweaker tab
- CPU Manual Voltage – use the + symbol on your keyboard, increase the voltage up one or two notches. You should not need more than 1.3V.
- F10 to save your new settings, then repeat the stress test.
During the test you will need to monitor the temperature of your processor. Depending on your cooling, at 4GHz your CPU should not exceed 55ºC when at 100% load. Typically using a Cooler Master 212+ (mid-range cooler) @ 4.4GHz the maximum temperature is around 60ºC depending on your ambient air temperature (those who live in hotter and humid countries will see a higher temperature).
Learn How To PC DIY
You've got the hardware, now crank it to the max! Check out our full coverage of PC build, overclocking, and feature guides.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
What makes ROG kit so special? Discover its unique innovations and exclusive technologies.
ROG Forum Hot Threads
Winter Wonderland 2013
- Winter Wonderland 2013
10:27:05 3 Dec, 2013 · 119 replie(s)
- 3770k temps at 4.8ghz
20:37:44 28 Nov, 2013 · 97 replie(s)
- Random freezing and glitching
16:09:10 29 Nov, 2013 · 87 replie(s)
- What is LINUX?
17:36:03 11 Nov, 2013 · 80 replie(s)
- Addicted to Hardware more than gaming?
05:18:15 26 Nov, 2013 · 78 replie(s)
- BSOD "0x0000000a Hero
20:16:26 26 Nov, 2013 · 65 replie(s)
- New Black Edition worked for about ...
15:02:26 29 Nov, 2013 · 62 replie(s)
- Maximus Formula VI Bios 1002 - now ...
17:39:25 18 Nov, 2013 · 47 replie(s)
- What are best graphics cards for 2-...
18:21:58 27 Nov, 2013 · 45 replie(s)
- My god, it's done. No going back...
00:35:26 30 Nov, 2013 · 44 replie(s)
- Broken seal
18:33:44 14 Nov, 2013 · 43 replie(s)
- Nvidia GeForce 331.82 WHQL Driver
11:08:33 19 Nov, 2013 · 38 replie(s)
- Asus Maximus VI Hero Issue - Need a...
11:36:32 28 Nov, 2013 · 38 replie(s)
- Arne's Linux adventure
12:04:04 30 Nov, 2013 · 37 replie(s)
- ASUS ROG is not always what it looks
13:45:41 11 Nov, 2013 · 32 replie(s)
- ASUS-Z87-A problem with sound. Help...
16:26:44 23 Nov, 2013 · 31 replie(s)
- Anyone Have a Look? (Vbios, Overclo...
02:59:45 30 Nov, 2013 · 31 replie(s)
- Christmas Season STEAM giveaway!
18:23:10 28 Nov, 2013 · 30 replie(s)
- Help please, New Build.. MAX VI GEN...
05:13:39 23 Nov, 2013 · 28 replie(s)
- Company Of Heroes STEAM Giveaway
22:35:14 18 Nov, 2013 · 27 replie(s)
It is that time of the year when folks in the Northern Hemisphere a...By HiVizMan, in "Team ROG & Competitive OC Discussion"3770k temps at 4.8ghz
hello guys i have a custom watercooled pc with 360 mm rad and 28...By Braindamage, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Random freezing and glitching
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2...By Korvan, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"What is LINUX?
I know I probably sound lame, but could someone please explain to m...By TotalONE, in "ASUS Software, Windows, Linux or SteamBox"Addicted to Hardware more than gaming?
Whats up y'all. Just curious if anybody here gets overwhelmed with ...By John Smith, in "PC Gaming"BSOD "0x0000000a Hero
Hello guys! New to the forum :) I have the same problem and it dri...By septerra, in "Maximus VI Series Motherboards"New Black Edition worked for about 20 mins
4930k 2 titans rampage iv black 900d dominator plat ax1200i ...By BeeF_DriPPings, in "Rampage Series Motherboards"Maximus Formula VI Bios 1002 - now missing from asus update site??
So this weekend i went to support on asus and downloaded the latest...By mcurtis, in "Maximus VI Series Motherboards"What are best graphics cards for 2-WaySLi/Crossfire under 650$ (in total)?
Well, most of you would have already seen my post asking about my b...By Hyper Droid, in "Build Advice"My god, it's done. No going back...
That's it guys, I've done it, there's no going back.... What am ...By Hyper Droid, in "PC Gaming"Broken seal
Hello guys I have just bought a new evga 780 hydro cooper classi...By Braindamage, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Nvidia GeForce 331.82 WHQL Driver
Havent installed and tried them yet. But here's the new WHQL fo...By Krebb, in "G750 Series Notebooks"Asus Maximus VI Hero Issue - Need advice dont know what to do
Hello all, I completed a new comp build with the following compo...By RickH89, in "General Hardware, Overclocking & Tweaking"Arne's Linux adventure
So, have Ubuntu "up and running" on my RIG...like the look so far. ...By Arne Saknussemm, in "ASUS Software, Windows, Linux or SteamBox"ASUS ROG is not always what it looks
I am a regular user of computer products, I am also engaged as a co...By Aurvangir, in "G750 Series Notebooks"ASUS-Z87-A problem with sound. Help required.
Hello guys, today i got my new hardware, i got this motherboard Asu...By Madnix, in "TUF and ASUS Motherboards [Intel]"Anyone Have a Look? (Vbios, Overclock) 765, 770 and 780m
Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon e...By abeepak1, in "G750 Series Notebooks"Christmas Season STEAM giveaway!
[B][COLOR="#B22222"]Hi ROGers![/COLOR][/B] Time for my second [B]S...By EnthusiastBuild, in "PC Gaming"Help please, New Build.. MAX VI GENE.. Power cycling..
Hello.. When I power it up... I see the Q-Code go to b6 and then I ...By Apex2Apex, in "Maximus VI Series Motherboards"Company Of Heroes STEAM Giveaway
Hi! Since i really like this forum and its awesome community a lot...By EnthusiastBuild, in "PC Gaming"
- Winter Wonderland 2013
- Could not connect to Twitter
Article TagsAMD asus cheap games Competition Crosshair V Formula-Z DirectCU II eSports event Extreme Overclocking Gallery gaming GeForce GPU Tweak graphics card guide HD 7970 Intel LN2 Maximus V Extreme Maximus V Formula Maximus V GENE Maximus VI Extreme Modding motherboard NVIDIA Overclocked overclocking overview PC PC gaming PC Mod PC modding PC Mods Pictures PR Rampage IV Extreme review rog Super Alloy Power TOP unboxing video watercooling World Record YouTube