PDA

View Full Version : Please help with BIOS!!!!

slpstang02
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi, I hope i am in the right area. I recently purchased an G73JH off ebay. However the bios is locked with a password. Does anybody know a working backdoor password or know of any way to reset it? Please!!

I have tried using different software's (Hirens boot disc etc). I have been unsuccessful in all attempts. Please does anybody have any ideas?! Thank you

HiVizMan
02-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Contact the person you bought if from and ask them. That is the most logical answer.

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi, I hope i am in the right area. I recently purchased an G73JH off ebay. However the bios is locked with a password. Does anybody know a working backdoor password or know of any way to reset it? Please!!

I have tried using different software's (Hirens boot disc etc). I have been unsuccessful in all attempts. Please does anybody have any ideas?! Thank you
The easiest solution would be be to get the password from the seller, as HiVizMan suggested.

If that doesn't work, I think a CMOS reset will clear the BIOS and reset it to defaults. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that applying to BIOS passwords....I never use one 'cause I'd be too apt to forget it!)

Unfortunately, a CMOS reset in laptops usually requires disassembly to the point that you can physically pop out the CMOS battery. If you have to resort to this, you can find G73 disassembly guides & videos online.

slpstang02
02-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Contact the person you bought if from and ask them. That is the most logical answer.

Trust me i tried. He can't remember the password.

slpstang02
02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
The easiest solution would be be to get the password from the seller, as HiVizMan suggested.

If that doesn't work, I think a CMOS reset will clear the BIOS and reset it to defaults. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that applying to BIOS passwords....I never use one 'cause I'd be too apt to forget it!)

Unfortunately, a CMOS reset in laptops usually requires disassembly to the point that you can physically pop out the CMOS battery. If you have to resort to this, you can find G73 disassembly guides & videos online.

From what i have heard, Is that removing the battery on the motherboard does not work for these latptops due to a seperate module that retains the password info? I dunno.

I spoke to the previous owner who stated that he had taken the cmos battery out of the mother board for like 9 hours and replaced it and it still showed that it was locked with a password.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 01:08 AM
From what i have heard, Is that removing the battery on the motherboard does not work for these latptops due to a seperate module that retains the password info? I dunno.
The only two user possibilities I can think of are resetting the BIOS (as previously described), or performing an emergency BIOS flash. I don't believe a "regular" BIOS flash will erase the user settings. though there's no harm in trying. I'm not sure that the emergency flash erases that data either, but if nothing else works, it's also worth a try.

fostert
02-21-2012, 02:32 AM

I can't really see this being true? Why would ASUS allow you to clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS to defaults, but then not allow you to get back in??? I mean the point of a password lock is to prevent people from entering the BIOS at boot and mess with your settings...if they could just do it by shorting the clear CMOS jumper in a desktop without even having to worry about the password, what would be the point?

WhitePaw
02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
This sound a little shady......:cool:

ColonelS
02-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Im not sure if this helps but erm take a look at least?

http://www.geckoandfly.com/6940/reset-or-remove-bios-password-for-acer-dell-hp-toshiba-asus-and-apple-laptop/

evgasr2
02-21-2012, 04:04 AM
STOP!!!!!
I have the solution , If you want I can help you,
I have a modded bios , with it you can change the bios password to default , all options will be unlocked , can even enable xmp profile without xmp ram. and can change cpu multiplier,
btw: with that bios , when you enter bios it will request a new password, so you can set somting and reflash it with original bios, so your safe, do you want it?

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 04:39 AM
@slpstang02: If the computer is working okay and the only problem is that you cannot currently access the BIOS, I wouldn't take the risk of a user-modded BIOS. As a used computer, a bricked BIOS has no warranty coverage.

If you're able to use this machine in the meantime, keep exploring your options. I really think a CMOS clear or emergency flash should work.....but it might be a good idea to simply contact Asus support and find out what the easiest user option is.

ColonelS
02-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Mod:

Evgars2

Please read my pm to you.

Thanks

evgasr2
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
nice moderators,
useful posts are gone. feel shame on you:p

slpstang02
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
How do i go about an emergency flash?

I contacted ASUS and they want me to send it in for an RMA? I don't know what that is. Yes i can access the computer but i can not access any settings. such as turbo boost etc. Which i beleive is off. I have researched many many hourse but i have not found the right solution as of yet. Plus i would hate to have to send it off to ASUS. That can take weeks.

Could you please explain an emergency flash? I think this has the latest bios flash but im not sure.

And who commented about the shady party. There is nothing shady about it. I simply bought this laptop used off ebay. The previous owner was unable to remember the bios password thus its locked for me. Im sure its probably a common concern that happens often. Thanks for the input.

I was going to check to see if their was an updated bios and try to flash it, in hopes that it will set everything to default. I thought about reflashing with the a previous or current bios also but im scared of bricking my laptop.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
This is the emergency flash procedure for AMI Aptio BIOSes. From anecdotal reports I've read, it does not work 100% of the time, so please consider this and use at your own discretion. (I have never had to use this procedure myself, so I can't be any more specific that these instructions as commonly described online.)

Download the latest version of the BIOS file for your computer. BE SURE you get one specifically for your model.
Extract the downloaded zipfile, and rename the extracted BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
Copy the BIOS file to a USB thumbdrive formatted in FAT32.
With the computer OFF, insert the thumbdrive into a USB 2.0 port.
Turn on the system. Press and hold CTRL+HOME.
The system should access the thumbrive (indicated LED will light up).
Confirm that you want to flash the BIOS, if prompted.
You may get either a reboot prompt or 4 beeps to indicate the flash is complete, or the computer may just shut down on its own.
Remove the USB thumbdrive, and restart the computer.

Apparently, some models can be particular about the name used for the BIOS. IF this procedure as described doesn't work, there are some other naming options you can try.

slpstang02
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
I formatted my drive and downloaded the newest bios. I plugged it in and held down ctrl + home, it bypassed the usb and windows started as normal. Do i need to have usb as boot primary? I dont think i can access that option in bios :(

I cant change the boot order. Its Cd drive then HDD.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
No.....you don't need to change the boot. If you pressed/held CTRL+HOME immediately after power up, that's supposed to tell the BIOS that you're doing an emergency flash.

I would try some other renaming options with that BIOS file. Give these a shot....

G73JH.ROM
G73JH213.ROM (assuming it's the 213 BIOS)

slpstang02
02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I made three files. All with the separate names you provided. Shutdown laptop placed in usb and hit power then immediately hit ctrl + home. Nothing. I tried holding the keys down as i powered on the laptop as well. Nothing either. It just boots right to windows.

Seems im screwed i guess :( thanks for the attempt though.

Oh also i spammed f4 at boot up and it put me in the EZ flash area. Appears i can still do a standard flash. Do you think flashing my bios the standard way can get rid of the password?

evgasr2
02-21-2012, 11:07 PM
aflash2 is the best way to falsh your bios , because it doesnt need bios pass to access it.,
flash it with modified bios of mine..

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Oh also i spammed f4 at boot up and it put me in the EZ flash area. Appears i can still do a standard flash. Do you think flashing my bios the standard way can get rid of the password?
Certainly worth a try. You're a step ahead of most owners with serious BIOS issues, in that you can still access the flash utility. (If that makes you feel any better.... ;))

evgasr2
02-22-2012, 01:51 AM
he doesnt have a bricked bios, but a locked bios. even though you try flashing it with several bios found in asus website the password wont go off because there are 2 section in bios chip one is firmware and software , you cant access firmware or change any values of it by flashing the bios with another ver , the only thing happens when you flash is the software changes ( its not called a software ,its somting else I fogot the name) when you set up a password it will be saved in firmware area , thats why even though you flash more than 100 times password wont go off, and software is the path that can disable this feature only by its real password, then the pass will go off from firmware.
solutions
1.flash with my modified bios ( but idk all other members dont like that idea).
2.remove your bios chip and reprogram it with spi programmer, but you should have soldering skills.

one more thing, I also bought my g73 from ebay and it had problems but now its solved , then i was a newb but now im pro thanks g73 , because of it I learned a lot.
now I live with bios , can do any custom tweaks in bios to make a laptop like a computer.
does any one want any help in bios ,please contact me.

MarshallR@ASUS
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
What exactly did you do?

slpstang02
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
There has got to be a way!

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
There has got to be a way!
I agree....but I'm not convinced it's an easy way. I've researched this online a bit, as you probably have as well. There are many owners who have battled this same problem, and the forums and threads I've seen all cover the same ground....none providing a simple fix. The most common solutions discussed are the CMOS reset, a list of "universal" AMI passwords, and the Aptio emergency flash procedure.

I know the previous owner said he already did it....but I think you should at least try a CMOS reset. It's a pain to have to disassemble for this, I know, but if it were me, my next step would be to pull the CMOS battery, leave it out for a long while, then try a re-flash again upon start-up.

(I'm assuming your tried a "regular" BIOS flash, to no avail?)

slpstang02
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Yea I just flashed it to the newest bios which is 213. Didn't fix it. But like the other guy was saying I think it's a two part CMOS. Yea I will take the CMOS battery out here soon. I really don't want to ship it to asus. I heard horror stories. I have tried every admin password I could find. I'm thinking the specific password is created with the date on my laptop which is 2010-05. I wounder if I drop it off at bestbuy the geek squad could fix it? I dunno. Do you know if these boards have the jumpers?

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Yea I just flashed it to the newest bios which is 213. Didn't fix it. But like the other guy was saying I think it's a two part CMOS. Yea I will take the CMOS battery out here soon. I really don't want to ship it to asus. I heard horror stories. I have tried every admin password I could find. I'm thinking the specific password is created with the date on my laptop which is 2010-05. I wounder if I drop it off at bestbuy the geek squad could fix it? I dunno. Do you know if these boards have the jumpers?
Laptop boards don't usually have jumpers.....I've never seen any on my Asus laptops M/Bs. In any event, those jumpers do the same thing that popping the battery does.

I seriously doubt the Geek Squad could do anything for you, but if want them to try ,make sure somebody there seems to understand the problem and sounds like they KNOW a solution. (You don't want to get charged for their time to sit and repeat all your efforts.....)