PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Backlit Keyboard not working!

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 02:04 AM
I have the ASUS G74Sx...

Here is the story:

I had some problems with my laptop due to poor habits and had to send it in for repairs.

Before I sent it in, the keyboard light worked well. I sent it in and when I got it back all my problems were fixed. Although now at boot it doesn't come on and I cant turn it on by using Fn+f3/f4... (I held onto the hard drives.) So I sent it in with Bios Version 201, it now has 203, that is 1 of 2 things I think it could be. The other is that they didn't hook the light back up. I REALLY don't want to send my laptop back that is just annoying and cost money...

Backlit worked before I sent in the computer, now it doesn't. Cant find an answer on Google, please help!

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?

fostert
02-21-2012, 02:26 AM
I note that when I first power on my G74 the KB back-light illuminates briefly during POST and the turns itself off forever as I continue booting into Linux. Does yours at least light up during the period right after powering on?

PILGRIM
02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..:p
I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here. :)
At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)

ColonelS
02-21-2012, 02:31 AM
+1 with reinstalling the drivers..

Try reinstalling the driver first and see if it helps

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Sorry guys I had a problem logging in, I will reply in a minute

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?

I dont know of a software fix, although I had ATK 1.00..8 from the DVD, and it did work prior to the RMA. I did uninstall that and install 1.00..14. YES your 1-4 steps are 100% accurate. I have not changed anything besides the ATK. They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..:p
I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here. :)
At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)

I did that, however, I uninstalled .08 and installed .014 of the ATK and rebooted after all that. I did not reboot after uninstalling .08, is that a problem?

PILGRIM
02-21-2012, 03:08 AM
I did that, however, I uninstalled .08 and installed .014 of the ATK and rebooted after all that. I did not reboot after uninstalling .08, is that a problem?

Not rebooting after uninstall of the older ATK Package could cause a problem. Driver remnants in the
File Registry can interfere with the newer version. And sorry, I forgot to tell to clean the registry
(use CCleaner or IOBit uninstaller with its "Powerful Scan") just after uninstall of the older version,
reboot, then install the newer version.

This time, you may try uninstalling version 1.0.0014. Clean the registry, reboot, re-install it, reboot.
Check if the keyboard lights up briefly during POST, (in Windows) press Fn + F3/F4 to test.
If there's none, reboot again.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 03:11 AM
On it I'll edit when back.

Ok well I uninstalled ATK 1.14, rebooted, ran CCleaner, did 3 registry scans till nothing came back, installed 1.14 again, rebooted, no luck.

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 03:16 AM
II have not changed anything besides the ATK. They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

If the backlights do not flash on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

On the other hand, the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-after-bios-flash-209-a.html indicates a BIOS flash can disable the keyboard backlights on G73 systems. I suspect this may also be possible on G74 systems.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 03:19 AM
If the backlights do not light on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

I have tried that and no luck. How would I go about that power cable? Can I do it from home?

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 03:56 AM
If the backlights do not flash on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

On the other hand, the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-after-bios-flash-209-a.html indicates a BIOS flash can disable the keyboard backlights on G73 systems. I suspect this may also be possible on G74 systems.

So what do you suggest I do? Go back a bios? How do I do that??

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 04:00 AM
As discussed in the referenced thread, ASUS posted a firmware fix for G73 systems that had keyboard backlights disabled on BIOS updates. Unfortunately, I think RMA is your only option in this case.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:03 AM
As discussed in the referenced thread, ASUS posted a firmware fix for G73 systems that had keyboard backlights disabled on BIOS updates. Unfortunately, I think RMA is your only option in this case.

I cant reflesh the bios myself??? I Hope I dont have to RMA again for I got it back TODAY...

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:06 AM
I'll try that flash. Thanks, I'll post my results after I finish eating. lol

fostert
02-21-2012, 04:08 AM
I cant reflesh the bios myself??? I Hope I dont have to RMA again for I got it back TODAY...

You could try reflashing the BIOS for your G74 back to 202...goto http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/, choose Download tab, select Operating System "Others", and grab v. 202 from there. Then follow the simple directions here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Updating-The-G74SX-BIOS-with-EazyFlash-quot&p=77597#post77597

If this don't work, the some cable that has been unplugged during your RMA fix didn't get out back in...you could snoop around inside or (unfortunatley) RMA again to get that fixed.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:29 AM
You could try reflashing the BIOS for your G74 back to 202...goto http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/, choose Download tab, select Operating System "Others", and grab v. 202 from there. Then follow the simple directions here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Updating-The-G74SX-BIOS-with-EazyFlash-quot&p=77597#post77597

If this don't work, the some cable that has been unplugged during your RMA fix didn't get out back in...you could snoop around inside or (unfortunatley) RMA again to get that fixed.

Alright I am going to flash back to 202, here goes...

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Alright I am going to flash back to 202, here goes...

Well that was a failure... :( thats just great... Huh......

fostert
02-21-2012, 04:38 AM
What failed? The BIOS flash, or your KB backlight is still toast? Did you reset the BIOS to defaults after you flashed it? Tried booting windows and using the hotkey combos to brighten it up (Fun+F3, Fun+F4)?

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:41 AM
What failed? The BIOS flash, or your KB backlight is still toast? Did you reset the BIOS to defaults after you flashed it? Tried booting windows and using the hotkey combos to brighten it up (Fun+F3, Fun+F4)?

Sorry for that confusion, Bios Flash was success. But the light is still inactive... Also I did go into the bios and set defaults... So I guess I'll have to RMA, this is a pain... I hate shipping. (I even went as far as repairing the ATK and rebooting...) Also tried Fn+f3/4 on all parts... Boot up and all. Nothing. No lightup on the splash startup screen either..

fostert
02-21-2012, 04:43 AM
Not good...sorry to hear of this trouble. May your RMA be as swift as meal with exlax... ;)

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Not good...sorry to hear of this trouble. May your RMA be as swift as meal with exlax... ;)

I do too. I'll just wait till I move. Thanks for all your help it means something to me!

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 04:55 AM
I do too. I'll just wait till I move. Thanks for all your help it means something to me!
If the lights don't even flash when you boot up, I think the tech just failed to connect that cable properly. That's incredibly annoying! There are only five cables between the keyboard and the M/B....you can't miss them! This is just incredibly sloppy work....

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
If the lights don't even flash when you boot up, I think the tech just failed to connect that cable properly. That's incredibly annoying! There are only five cables between the keyboard and the M/B....you can't miss them! This is just incredibly sloppy work....

Yeah... Well hey thanks for making me feel better about it. Now after I move, I'll start an RMA and sent it back down. Thanks again!

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 05:02 AM

Is there a way I can reconnect these cables myself? I mean I know how to install hard drives and change ram, etc. Is there a guide you know of???

dstrakele
02-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I've confirmed the keyboard backlights will flash on boot even if they were turned off with Fn-F3 prior to boot. It looks more like a hardware issue (i.e bad cable or bad cable connection).

http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525 has photos of a G74sx disassembly.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 05:07 AM
I've confirmed the keyboard backlights will flash on boot even if they were turned off with Fn-F3 prior to boot. It looks more like a hardware issue (i.e bad cable or bad cable connection).

Would this void my warranty???

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Is there a way I can reconnect these cables myself? I mean I know how to install hard drives and change ram, etc. Is there a guide you know of???
You just have to remove the top cover. I'm actually in the process of writing up a guide on this, if you can wait a couple days.

It doesn't void the warranty if you're careful and don't damage anything.

The one thing I would warn about that guide, Drew, is that it's meant for complete breakdown, all the way to M/B removal. So there are a lot of steps that don't apply to top cover removal, making it more complicated, time-consuming, and, frankly, riskier than it needs to be.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 05:11 AM
You just have to remove the top cover. I'm actually in the process of writing up a guide on this, if you can wait a couple days.

Yeah I can totally wait! Could I message you my email so you can let me know when its ready? I likely wont get on here much. I came here for support. ;) I may come back time to time thanks to the service I am getting! :D

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Yeah I can totally wait! Could I message you my email so you can let me know when its ready? I likely wont get on here much. I came here for support. ;) I may come back time to time thanks to the service I am getting! :D
Sure...no problem. I'll shoot you a PM.

jamcghie
02-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Sure...no problem. I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks, your the best! Haha I'll come back time to time, I promise lol. Thanks for all the help. I'm happy it wont void the warranty. :D

Thai09
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Why would you recommend a RMA when it was RMA that caused this stupid problem???

I'm in disbelief of the pure amateur nonsense which you guys presents as knowledge and assistance!

So now the G74 has the same problem as the G73?

Send it to RMA, and get a non-functional laptop back?

The clever former Asus users are moving fast forward to other options:

"If only Asus would focus on a high end gamers I would certainly be straight back as the bells and whistles well, we all like a few neon lights here and there "

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/635561-hey-all-need-some-friendly-advice.html

Asus ROG is a joke, for kids only, the rest is moving fast forward to the real deal, Clevo/Sager!

fostert
02-22-2012, 04:06 AM
We're giving @jamcghie the same advice an owner of a clevo or a sagar would get if they had this problem, step by step attempts to get it to work before giving up for RMA#2. That includes attempting to fix the problem by opening up the notebook and reconnecting an unconnected cable. This is far better advice than "aw, just chuck your g74 and get a more expensive model: that'll solve you problem". And I don't seem to remember your posts on advice here: if the OP shouldn't RMA again, then what do you suggest?

jamcghie
02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
We're giving @jamcghie the same advice an owner of a clevo or a sagar would get if they had this problem, step by step attempts to get it to work before giving up for RMA#2. That includes attempting to fix the problem by opening up the notebook and reconnecting an unconnected cable. This is far better advice than "aw, just chuck your g74 and get a more expensive model: that'll solve you problem". And I don't seem to remember your posts on advice here: if the OP shouldn't RMA again, then what do you suggest?

And I thank you all. Thai09, that was not acceptable. I am happy with the outcome thus far so why even waste your time coming here and trolling Thai09?