PDA

View Full Version : OC-Key

Michixxx
02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
hi!

I am a happy owner of the R4E. Today I took a look at the OC-Key. I can see the OSD, but there is no chance to navigate in the OSD menu, although I put a Keyboard into the OC-Key!

Hope you can help me,
Michixxx

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Are you able to navigate with you use only one keyboard (PS/2) type?

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi there mate,
Congrats, you have a marvelous board there!! However the OC Key does have some limitations, to navigate you need a PS2 keyboard or a USB keyboard with NO built-in hub in-order for it to work.

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
http://rog.asus.com/57532011/guides/rampage-iv-extreme-extreme-oc-tool-setup-video/

Michixxx
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I have currently no PS/2 Keyboard at home. But my I have several USB-Keyboards and none of them have a build-in Hub.

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I have currently no PS/2 Keyboard at home. But my I have several USB-Keyboards and none of them have a build-in Hub.

Slso check the manual, it does tell you what to use and where to plug things.. you can even upgrade the firmware later, bear in mind this OC key doesn't work with 120hz displays.

DooRules
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
That dongle sticks off so far and the weight from the dvi cable , too much for me. I was worried it was gonna damage the gpu dvi plugin. Tossed it back in the box.

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
LOL yeah the only time I would ever use it is when LN2 is flowing. For 24/7 no need for me.

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
They're useless for me too, weirdly Asus didn't add support fot large panels.... Guess gamers invest all their money in games they can't afford hi-res displays. :eek:

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
The OC key is not aimed for gamers Neo. It is for OC's or they would have called it a gamers key I guess. :D :D

DooRules
02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I mostly over clock as opposed to gaming, but to me that is just something else in the way. MSI afterburner for me all the way.

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
The OC key is not aimed for gamers Neo. It is for OC's or they would have called it a gamers key I guess. :D :D

I stand corrected... I would of thought they'd included a extension cable... Me, I stole a few from some old apple things

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey I did not think of that. WOW talk of improvise.

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey I did not think of that. WOW talk of improvise.

Push comes to shove, i'll take out the screw driver and resort to soldering :)

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm wondering what ASUS engineers we're thinking when they designed and built this device. Did it once offer additional bandwidth for dual-link panels but due to cost, it was crippled? cause it's strange to discover the input is single-link. However the output has connections for 'link 2' connections.

http://img.skitch.com/20120226-g18s189kyhqytwjqsi3umab4is.jpg
interesting circuitry under the RF shield by the way...

also.. what's the op_sw do?

HiVizMan
02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
You know that at the end of the day it is the accountants who make the call, the best products are crippled if need be just to save a few pennies. Has that happened here I do not know.

UltraNEO*
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
You know that at the end of the day it is the accountants who make the call, the best products are crippled if need be just to save a few pennies. Has that happened here I do not know.

I'd wonder what could ASUS do if they produced a limited edition product with all costs cutting strategies thrown outta the window
(charge user a small premium for ownership, simply to cover costs...)

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Trying to get this friggin thing to work. I had never used it as it seemed kind of useless. BIOS seemed just fine. I have three 120Mhz monitors when I looked at the DVI connector I was awestruck. 60mhz. Come on. I grabbed one of my old Apple monitors out of my storage closet. Unplugged my G19 and so far have tried 5 keyboards that don't have hubs. No dice. My mouse just sits behind the OC screen. Now of course it is a mission. I'm sure you guys can relate! Lol.

I watched the videos and wanted to go get some Nitrous and pour all over the place with no gloves. Lol. Anyone know what the heck is happening here. I know it is going to be a 5 am deal. And surely not worth it.

HiViz you probably have never even used the thing but know how to get it going.

I was just going to switch out some ram and I saw the OC key on the floor and decided to give it a whirl. Well I am whirling. I don't even understand what the USB cable is for? The manual made absolutely no sense.

HELP would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Gnarly you made me laugh and today that is a good thing I promise you.

OK OC Key 101

Connect the OC to the graphic card.
Connect the VGA cable to a non-120MHz monitor :p
Connect the OC cable to the OC key and the motheboad
If this is the first time you are using the OC Key please flash to latest firmware*
* Manual does tell you how to do this I just checked :)

Now we have two options here.
One keyboard and you toggle between OS and OC Key
Two keyboards and each is dedicated to either OS or OC Key

One Keyboard
(Seems to work best with a PS/2 keyboard)
Power on your PSU
When the mobo lights up you can hold ROG connect button at back of IN/OUT panel down for 3 secs
Overlay now on screen
Arrow keys to navigate as needed
When in OS you need to tap ROG connect briefly to switch between OCKey and OS
F10 to save your settings you make in OCkey

Two Keyboards
Connect your second Keyboard into the white ROG connect USB port.
Press the ROG connect for 3 secs to get the overlay up
Good to go. 1 keyboard for OS and one for OCKey

And no I have no idea where the firmware download is currently located. Having a blonde moment.

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply mate (Normally don't use that except at Irish/English pubs. Unfortunately none are open yet).

I have done everything you listed. Funny you mentioned the firmware. I was just trying to locate it. Perhaps that is the issue. It's strange, and soon as I toggle the ROG button as I get into the OS I get the menu but it is like a silhouette. In other words my mouse is behind the menus. I can't click on it or anything. I am essentially in explorer behind it. It is good to know that you can use two keyboards.

Unfortunately the only PS2 keyboard I have left is shot. My EX-cat urinated on it. Lol.

I am going to locate a firmware update. Nothing on ASUS as far as I can tell.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help!

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah your mouse is meant to be behind it so to speak. The navigation as you know is only via the keyboard.

Will try and find the firmware for you.

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Found the firmware: http://driverscollection.com/_44016331986b213c590b0b082c0/Download-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Firmware-v.1.0.0.3-free

Updated, same problem. I am thinking I need to grab a PS2 keyboard. I dunno....

It is still displaying all my stats and voltages....

Weird. I can only boil it down to the old keyboard...

I will post once I pick one up.

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?4pdqefzwa41bdpj

Ah to slow I am.

Are you doing the single tap to get into the keyboard access?

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
No. What is that?

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Gnarly you made me laugh and today that is a good thing I promise you.

OK OC Key 101

Connect the OC to the graphic card.
Connect the VGA cable to a non-120MHz monitor :p
Connect the OC cable to the OC key and the motheboad
If this is the first time you are using the OC Key please flash to latest firmware*
* Manual does tell you how to do this I just checked :)

Now we have two options here.
One keyboard and you toggle between OS and OC Key
Two keyboards and each is dedicated to either OS or OC Key

One Keyboard
(Seems to work best with a PS/2 keyboard)
Power on your PSU
When the mobo lights up you can hold ROG connect button at back of IN/OUT panel down for 3 secs
Overlay now on screen
Arrow keys to navigate as needed
When in OS you need to tap ROG connect briefly to switch between OCKey and OS
F10 to save your settings you make in OCkey

Two Keyboards
Connect your second Keyboard into the white ROG connect USB port.
Press the ROG connect for 3 secs to get the overlay up
Good to go. 1 keyboard for OS and one for OCKey

And no I have no idea where the firmware download is currently located. Having a blonde moment.

That part where you tap once to enter into the OCKey menu

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah. Tried it, still didn't work. Gonna get a PS2 keyboard. I need to go to the computer store anyhow.

I believe that may work (said that before).

HiVizMan
05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Please don't make me take my OC key out and use it..... :D

How did you know that I did not like to use these gadgets by the way?

Gnarly
05-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Okay. Got it going. I went out and purchased a new PS2 keyboard (first one in years). $13.00 US. I can switch easily between the Key and my G19 as per your recommendation.

All that you can change is VCCSA and VCORE, although, I think holding down the delete key at startup was causing Carpal Tunnel So perhaps it was worth it.

Thanks HiViz.

Maybe others can learn from my foibles.

Gnarly
05-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I knew because it's just as efficient to get into BIOS and have access to more of the options would you need anyhow. However, I do like the sensors and the POST visual. Spent 3-4 hours getting a 60hz monitor out of the attic, trying multiple keyboards, finding the current BIOS and ultimately unhooked it! All it really did was save about 5 minutes avoiding the BIOS restart. This all started with a RAM kit switch. I saw it on the floor and decided to give it a whirl. Now I'm not even in the mood to switch my RAM!

These things are always worth it. Now I now the deal.