PDA

View Full Version : Asus Crosshair V: boot_led & vga_led

CrackBabySPORTS
03-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Motherboard: In title
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
Memory/RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (1.35 Low Voltage DDR3 1600 kit)
HD: Western Digital something
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 2GB (I have two of these with SLI to make a total of 4GB)
My disk drive is Sony something, I believe. Too lazy to check.

I just purchased an upgrade for my computer; made the switch from Intel to AMD processor to match the specifications listed above. The only thing I changed in the process was the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Immediately upon receiving the new components, I began to install them and placed the power cords in the spots designated by the labels. My CPU and video cards I'm fairly certain that I connected properly, and for the RAM I placed the two cards into the black slots (I tried them in the red slots as well at first, as the guide states, but had the same result).
When I boot up the computer, the LED warning lights all blink up one-by-one as they test each specification. First, the vga_led comes on almost immediately, then after several moments I will hear one long beep that is soon followed with three short beeps along with the boot_led coming on. The monitor remains in sleep mode the entire time and leaves me with no interface at all so I cannot enter the BIOS or see what processes are active in the system aside from what's indicated by the motherboard LED's. I've also attempted using the 'Jumper' feature that is listed in the guide, and it has no effect on the system at all - I'm wondering if I installed the SATA cables incorrectly, but I don't necessarily see any specific recommendations for where they should be placed and just placed the red with the red, and the two blue with two of the many blue slots.
Any suggestions? I'd really not rather send my $600 worth of upgrades back, nor pay an extra $200 just to have some supposed 'professional' let my computer sit in the back room for a week before calling me up and saying they can't do anything, as I've heard such people envy doing.

Chris Manico
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
What bios revision firstly, and then personally i'd try to remove one of the video cards, and start off with just one.
Off the top of my head seems like maybe the the bios you have isnt the one that supports the new FX cpu, but you'd think you'd get a cpu led if that were the case. or the Power Supply isnt enough to push 2 gtx 580's. try one card, in the top red slot.

HiVizMan
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
If you look on your motherboard you will see a series of numbers and the last four numbers are the shipped bios version. The FX8150 CPU requires a updated BIOS to work on the motherboard.

NemesisChild
03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
And btw, you don't have a total of 4GB graphic card memory with your 580's.

In SLI, apps & games share the memory, so with your 580's, it's a total of 2GB shared memory.

CrackBabySPORTS
03-02-2012, 04:41 PM
What bios revision firstly, and then personally i'd try to remove one of the video cards, and start off with just one.
Off the top of my head seems like maybe the the bios you have isnt the one that supports the new FX cpu, but you'd think you'd get a cpu led if that were the case. or the Power Supply isnt enough to push 2 gtx 580's. try one card, in the top red slot.

Well I bought both the most recent CPU and Motherboard that I found so I'd assume that they are compatible with each other, and yeah there's no CPU_LED either..but sometimes computers are able to incorrectly tell you what really is wrong with them, as I've learned through the years.
I'd expect that the power supply is enough to run the two GTX 580's since I just had them on my previous computer and it ran flawlessly, but I have already tried running the PC with just one video card placed alone. Only difference was on my previous computer was the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I've listed the specifications for my previous setup at the bottom of my post.
The shipped BIOS version for this Motherboard is 1102.

(PREVIOUS SETUP)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 Motherboard - Socket 1366
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
CPU: Intel i7 950 3.1GHz
Memory/RAM: Corsair 3 x 2GB (6GB total) 1600MHz
HD: Western Digital something
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 2GB (I have two of these with SLI to make a total of 4GB)
My disk drive is Sony something, I believe. Too lazy to check.

CrackBabySPORTS
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
If you look on your motherboard you will see a series of numbers and the last four numbers are the shipped bios version. The FX8150 CPU requires a updated BIOS to work on the motherboard.

And btw, you don't have a total of 4GB graphic card memory with your 580's.

In SLI, apps & games share the memory, so with your 580's, it's a total of 2GB shared memory.

Good to know. First time completely building my own computer aside from changing something small (used to just CPU, video card, or RAM..never Motherboard)

HiVizMan
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Cheers mate - your board has a FX bios.

Right please do the following.

Visually inspect the board and ensure that each of the power connectors is correctly seated in the correct socket. The user manual is your friend and refer to it just to make 100% sure that things are in the right place.
Check that your keyboard and mouse are connected. Remove any other devices from the in/out panel please.
CPU fan header is populated.
One stick of ram
One graphic card
HDD is optional.

The cable to the monitor is connected and that the monitor is powered on and the correct input selected.

We are no ready to power up.

If you have done all the above your system should boot to BIOS no problem.

CrackBabySPORTS
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Cheers mate - your board has a FX bios.

Right please do the following.

Visually inspect the board and ensure that each of the power connectors is correctly seated in the correct socket. The user manual is your friend and refer to it just to make 100% sure that things are in the right place.
Check that your keyboard and mouse are connected. Remove any other devices from the in/out panel please.
CPU fan header is populated.
One stick of ram
One graphic card
HDD is optional.

The cable to the monitor is connected and that the monitor is powered on and the correct input selected.

We are no ready to power up.

If you have done all the above your system should boot to BIOS no problem.

I've done all that and I still get all the same problems, though I haven't done it without the HDD plugged in
However after I get out of work I will record a short video to show all of you how I have setup my system and allow you to hear the beeps; but it will be done with the camera on my phone so even though its a 1080p camera phone, I lack sufficient lightning in my apartment

NemesisChild
03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I see that you have low voltage Crucial memory, would not be among my choices.
Try booting with one stick of Corsair memory from your previuos build.
Secondly, there is no way that you are going to adequately power two 580's with a CM 850W PSU.
Yes, it's 80+ Bronze certified, but keep in mind that just one 580 requires min. 42 amps on the +12v rail.
You have to consider the PSU output under continuous load, not just it's rated output.
And now you're throwing a 125W CPU into the mix with your PSU, ever think about that?

Corp$e
03-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Secondly, there is no way that you are going to adequately power two 580's with a CM 850W PSU.
Yes, it's 80+ Bronze certified, but keep in mind that just one 580 requires min. 42 amps on the +12v rail.
You have to consider the PSU output under continuous load, not just it's rated output.
And now you're throwing a 125W CPU into the mix with your PSU, ever think about that?

That shouldnt matter what hes running, an 850w is just fine. Look at my rig, I have no probs.

I would keep switching parts around if u can, if everything is hooked up just right you should have no probs booting. Im wondering if your mobo or cpu might be bad. Where did you get these parts?

AMD FX-8150 CPU
CORSAIR WATER COOLING
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
2 x 120GB OCZ AGILITY SSD RAID-0
8GB CORSAIR 1866
2 x GTX550Ti SLI
850 CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
3 x DELL MONITORS

Chris Manico
03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Evga gtx 580 -Requirements
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

EVGA GTX 550 TI - Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)

pretty sure everything i've read was saying you need a high quality 1000 wat PSU atleast to SLI the 580's.

not sure if the info i put in is going to be there but, if you input the info, even asus reccomends 1000 watts.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en

NemesisChild
03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
That shouldnt matter what hes running, an 850w is just fine. Look at my rig, I have no probs.

I would keep switching parts around if u can, if everything is hooked up just right you should have no probs booting. Im wondering if your mobo or cpu might be bad. Where did you get these parts?

AMD FX-8150 CPU
CORSAIR WATER COOLING
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
8GB CORSAIR 1866
2 x GTX550Ti SLI
850 CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
3 x DELL MONITORS

Huge difference in power supply requirements between 560Ti's and 580's in SLI.

Not even close in comparison...

CrackBabySPORTS
03-03-2012, 12:38 AM

I thought I already went over this? I ran a system before with the two GTX 580's in place and had absolutely no problems - I don't.see how that would change when all I did was change the RAM, CPU, and Motherboard..especially when each actually consumes LESS wattage than what I had before.

AMD FX-8150 CPU
CORSAIR WATER COOLING
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
8GB CORSAIR 1866
2 x GTX550Ti SLI
850 CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
3 x DELL MONITORS

I got them brand new from NewEgg, but I've already tried switching components around..also, I have tried with just one video card and RAM stick

Corp$e
03-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Well then something is wrong with one of your new hardware, either the cpu or the board. something isnt comunicating right,

I just got my rig from newegg too, i did alot of searching and alot of ppl got DOA boards from newegg.

CrackBabySPORTS
03-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Well then something is wrong with one of your new hardware, either the cpu or the board. something isnt comunicating right,

I just got my rig from newegg too, i did alot of searching and alot of ppl got DOA boards from newegg.

Is there a known method to determine whether or not the motherboard is DOA for sure?

pkthekiller
03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi there, i,m having a similar problem....my config is:

CPU: FX 8120
COOLING: CORSAIR H80
RAM: 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE 1600 CS9
MB: CROSSHAIR V (BIOS 1102)
GPU: XFX RADEON 7970 3GB
PSU: COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO 850M

My problem is that i get the vga led red all the time (after cpu and ram leds flash for once). I dont have any signal on the monitor. The fan on the gfx is spinning full speed. The PSU has 6 "6 pin to 6+2 pin PCIe connectors. As you might know te 7970 need 8+6 for juice. In the first 2 pcie slots, card wont work at all. In the 3rd one it actually worked quite some times. I was able to get into windows but the screen had flashing lines/ artifacting all along (from post to windows - though only for a few cold boots and then it was ok as long as the colours were 16bit or less. But this was only with catalyst installed(the windows part only). with standard vga drivers, no such artifacting. On top of that, the card was always downclocked (core 300 and mem 150) with catalyst. Lauching anything 3d would bring the artifacting back and eventual full system hang.
I have tried everything (like clearing CMOS, plugging the additional 4 pin molex for gpu on MB even though it should not be required, reseating everything, boot with only 1 ram in the last slot, boot with no I/O connected etc)
And now.....its not working at all.....vga led is devil red......
Just to check, i tried my old radeon 4870 512mb (6+6 pin).....and it works flawlessly....
So guys.....is it the GPU, the MB or the PSU......