PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75V 1 day of life, soft noise from fans

Daevart
05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
So dear sirs we have this problem. The Fan of the Asus G75 is turned on non stop. Even if it is spinning at low rpms, it is noticeable when I am in quiet rooms. Don't take me bad, the noise is soft , but there still exist, it's an humming noise, low tone, clearly from ball bearings.

Looking for a bios revision which definitively turn off the fans when the machine is not doing anything, like it was happening on my previous notebook, an alienware m17x r3. Don't tell me pleae that I have to have my machine always noisy!

Daevart
05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
up, looking for a reply.

Holy
05-16-2012, 08:11 AM
yes i have this slight noise but mine is not on all the time there are plenty of times it just sits there doing nothing. you have the bios updated to 207?

Daevart
05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Yes, 207

Actually I am looking for some fan speed controlling software, for a temp fix. I repeat, it's not a problem, but it is just annoying that it stays always on at 1900-2000 rpm even when the machine is chilling cool.

Holy
05-16-2012, 09:06 AM
yea i agree but there will not be a software. Ive searched and all i have tried Have not worked.

Daevart
05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Oh not. There is a good software made here in Italy, but actually it supports the G75V "reading only". I have already contacted the author, giving him an hand to extend the support to the new RoG toy.

Holy
05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Yea alot of programs will read the speeds but will not just them

MarshallR@ASUS
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I have forwarded this concern to the PM

Daevart
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Marshall, it is related to the GPU fan, which is always active and produces this low tone noise! Not the CPU, the gpu fan, I messed with the two fans dring the explanation. Thanks for your time.

PS: the ideal solution is a vBios that turns the fan off below the 55Celsius, or that uses a lower RPM on the fan when the machine is in IDLE mode, than the current rpms.

Holy
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Lol wow i would not like that vbios lol my gpu idles at 37-40 and barley hits 54 while gaming.

Daevart
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Maybe you do not ant, but many of us want their machine being silent when it is not doing anything.

MarshallR@ASUS
05-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote from RD:

With the fan on the machine is only 28.6 dB, while if we turn the fan off the noise will only decreases to 27.8 dB due to the dual HDD. The human ear can only detect increments of 3dB so it won't appear any quieter even with the fan disabled or lowered.

The fan is kept on for 3 reasons:

1) It's FAR MORE noticeable to turn the fan on and off constantly as it heats up/cools off, versus keeping a consistent background hum. This is why most people aren't bothered by AC, for example.
2) It prolongs the life of the hardware to keep them at a consistent temp and not do (1) as much as possible.
3) It helps the performance (Turbo) to keep it consistently cool as the CPU/GPU registers they have 'thermal overhead' to use when required. If you let it heat up, then require it to run a program you'll get inconsistent performance depending on the state of the idle temp.

For our reference, could you please let us know which high performance laptop is silent when idle? :)

Daevart
05-18-2012, 05:03 AM
So it is not possible to obtain a bios version that turns the GPU fan off, isn't it? There are people that do not like this sound, trust me. Or, at least, a bios that uses a lower rpm in idle mode than the current one. I have put SSDs in mine, just not to ear the HDD noise.

"For our reference, could you please let us know which high performance laptop is silent when idle? "

Alienware M17XR3, Alienware M17X R4, Alienware M18x, Alienware M14X R1-R2, according to our tests.

The main problem is the tone of this fan, not the fact it is always on. Looks like it's clattering, and it is not defective, since other G75s do the same. When the machine is on, first start, it is ok, but after you use it for some 3D, the GPU fan starts spinning and never turns off, even when the machine is reverted into IDLE mode, and it's not nice. It's ok to have the fan on under any type of load, not in idle.

OR, even more simple, a version of Power4gear that REALLY makes the machine silent when you select the "Silent Mode". It is a fact that a computer running at 50-55C does not have any long life and reliability problem.

MarshallR@ASUS
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Can you check if the fan grills are still in place - maybe they have come loose?? It should be a gentle hum not a clattering - that's very strange.

I'm gonna check this G55 but I don't think it has the 'spin-up never spin down' problem as I've been gaming on it all day on and off. EDIT: I'm running the G55 with Skyrim right now - the 660M is turbo'd to 950MHz constantly and the fan is only a gentle hum. I know the 670M is a different chip but the fans between them should be the same.

I will relay the request about a P4G or BIOS switch to a quieter mode.

Daevart
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Can you check if the fan grills are still in place - maybe they have come loose?? It should be a gentle hum not a clattering - that's very strange.

I will relay the request about a P4G or BIOS switch to a quieter mode.

The fan grilles are still in place. The sound of the two fans seems different, though. The level of noise is very low, I repeat, but the tone is not nice. Now, you let me to start thinking I prolly got a defective fan :D
Either the dba stays low even when the fan spins up for gaming (it keeps a very low noise level)...that's why I am so concerned! If it would have made an hell of noise, for sure = defective...Like this, no idea.

If I turn the pc Upside -> Down, suddenly the GPU fan voice "changes" to an acceptable tone. Should I return it? Can you confirm these 2 fans make a different noise? The hum is gentle in both cases, the tone is different.

The first review of this notebook has been made on notebookcheck, and here what they said:

"Noise

The Asus high-end notebooks (since G73) are relatively quiet. The latest addition to the family maintains that high standard even in 3D mode. The two fans run at an acceptable level. A lot of the competition gets louder under full load: the industry average is between 40 and 50 dB(A). The noise will only rise if the G75 is at 100% load (Furmark & Prime).

While idle, the G75 test model revealed some quirks. The notebook was quiet at the start of the test: both fans were often off and the only emissions came from the hard disk (31-33 dB). During testing, the GPU fan (33-35 dB) rarely switched off (suddenly with minimal clattering) - the noise reached an audible level. This oddity is probably due to the precursor state of our model.

Still, most competing laptops are much louder than the G75."

I opened the case to take full pics of the cooling system. The fans are bot in place, firmly anchored to the internal chassis. The turbines themselves are firmly in position on their axis, they have zero tolerance movement (so it cannot be some sort of de-alignment).

A "quieter" BIOS can do the job, it would be really appreciated! For quieter, it would be perfect just to set the fans to spin at lower rpms when in idle, not even needed to turn them off!

Our tests are almost done, we are setting a very high score for this notebook. We have found almost no defects (the fans are the noticeable ones) and loads of power - build quality - screen quality.

Rapbando
06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I think that the gpu fan issue is a big production defect that asus have to manage ASAP!!!
I mean, is clear that a notebook like this cannot make any kind of noise!!!
I was thinking that mine is a unfortunate notebook...but when i saw this comments over the internet,
i became very upset!!! :@ :@ :@

ForCeV
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I have same issues... It i so annoying while I m working with using word and power point.. This should be fixed some other ways. We are not talking about fan spinning noise. We are talking about annoying bearing sound in IDLE MODE... When the fan can be turend off, I think it will solve the problem.. We don't care when we play the game and the fan sound increase because the fan sound in full load can be covered by the game sound.. I need to work with using word and power point. but it is so annoying bearing sound especially, silent environment.

Manzier
10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Recently started to have this problem too. A few days ago my laptop ran completely silent at idle. Now, the GPU fan is constantly humming even when temps are 40 and under

c_man
10-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I have right now one that makes much less hum noise, but also the fan works more irregular.

WontonNoodle
10-05-2012, 01:46 AM
omg yes I have this problem. It's a HUGE issue. Can we please get a fix of bios update ASAP? 1500$ for a machine that doesn't know how to turn the fan off when idle/reading a pdf! (especially when I'm in the quiet room in the library, it's annoying to everyone around me)

temps are absolutely fine with 38-45 temps for cpu when idle. I don't need the fan spinning at 2000 RPM and making 50 DB of noise all the time! Please, I'm requesting a proper fix from Asus either through bios update or drivers. Thank you.

Manzier
10-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Sitting in a quiet room, browsing the internet, I'm noticing the GPU fans are just randomly running at high and low speeds. One second they're quiet, the next they're running at full speed.

KiwiG75
10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I want my fans at full speed at any time I desire. I want my laptop to run as cool as possible. Except for the problem that this will lower the life expectancy of the fans.

WontonNoodle
10-05-2012, 08:26 AM
ok, so it's not just me with the loud fan problem. it's one of the most annoying things about this laptop

please, im begging you, asus! Please provide a fix. g55

ben02
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I am experiencing this issue also. Of all the forum threads, you guys/gals described it the best!

The noise is soft but very distracting while reading/writing papers. It sounds like a single clear note, humming/buzzing. Usually it comes from under the keyboard (left side) and the left fan (right fan, if looking from behind). Sometimes it comes from both fan vents. It's more clearly audible coming through the keyboard than out from the fans.

I guess it's because the left (CPU) fan is ALWAYS on, while the right (GPU) fan turns on and off. They both make the same noise, and it actually gets quite loud whenever both fans are going.

Data from hwinfo64:
Idle: CPU 37 C, 2000 rpm constantly / GPU 37 C, 2000 rpm for ~60 seconds then off for ~60 seconds (repeating constantly)
Heavy load: CPU 68 C, 3000 rpm constantly / GPU 55 C, 2600 rpm constantly

Obviously the cooling system performs excellently. While gaming, nobody minds the noise. But during idle, the noise can drive you silly.
I bought ASUS largely because of its reputation for quietness.
Is it hard to make (optional) drivers or BIOS where both fans take a break during idle? Did anyone find a fix, during the few months from last post?

jflourenco
08-03-2013, 08:34 PM
this s big ****. i bought this pc in december and he fan have 55db. it's imposible be one day with this stupid noise. :( i'm thinking in give up to asus again.

mitchouf
08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Just to chime in, I just bought a G46VW last week and have the same problem. While I'm typing this message, the GPU sits @35C and 0% load and I still get random fan activation. Definitely a bios / fan profile problem. I'm amazed that such a power user oriented machine doesn't let me set my own fan profiles.