PDA

View Full Version : G55 Thunderbolt clarification

MarshallR@ASUS
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Is Thunderbolt retroactively applicable to existing G55 models via BIOS or driver update?
Current G55 models are NOT upgradable to Thunderbolt via BIOS or driver update. They contain no Thunderbolt hardware inside.

What is that port used for on non-Thunderbolt enabled models?
The port is used as a DisplayPort video output. You can hook up DisplayPort monitors or use an adapter for other connections. DP is great for super-high res monitors as it can output 2560x1440/1600 resolution whereas HDMI cannot.

What is that port icon then? It looks like Thunderbolt
It does not confirmation that your G55 contains Thunderbolt inside, as all G55 chassis are identical.
The Intel Thunderbolt icon is a circle+bolt, however the G55 icon is a square+bolt to indicate the duality of DisplayPort (square) and Thunderbolt (where available). This icon decision was made early and couldn't be replaced - we're very sorry if this causes confusion.

When will Thunderbolt models be avilable?
Thunderbolt enabled G55s will be available 'from July', but it won't be in all regions simultaneously: local distribution can take time and retailers get to choose when/if they stock them.

Will all G55s in July have Thunderbolt?
No. Not every G55 will have it. G55s non-TB will exist alongside G55s with-TB. You MUST check the retailer specs page first.

How will I know the model is Thunderbolt enabled?
Retailers will list 'Thunderbolt' or 'Intel Thunderbolt' under the specs on their G55 product pages: you MUST check before you buy as it cannot be enabled retroactively.

Retailer X shows a G75 with Thunderbolt available!
This is falsely listed. Please give me a link and we will get it corrected.
G75s with Thunderbolt will be available later this year and we will announce availability when they are ready.

Thank you all!

Myk SilentShadow
06-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Figures and here I thought I was actually right about something lol!!! cheers for the clarification

MarshallR@ASUS
06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Figures and here I thought I was actually right about something lol!!! cheers for the clarification

Sorry I've made the post clearer now ;);):) I do appreciate your efforts to help!!

Myk SilentShadow
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
No worries, haha though i see you pinched my idea of Q&A from the Forum Rankings Explanation thread I made :p :D

Arvinaaaaa
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
dissapointing that my s1095v does not have thunderbolt..nevermind, no choice :):)

and thank you marshall for clarification

Muskoka
06-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Canada Computers is still listing both the current G75 and G55 as having Thunderbolt.

G75 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=asus+g75

G55 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=asus+g55

======

In July is only the G55 getting Thunderbolt, or is the G75 also getting it?

Also, since the stores already can't keep it straight, if we go in to buy one how can we check to see if it has Thunderbolt or is an older version? Will it say something on the box or have a different model # ?

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Canada Computers is still listing both the current G75 and G55 as having Thunderbolt.

G75 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=asus+g75

G55 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=asus+g55

======

Also, since the stores already can't keep it straight, if we go in to buy one how can we check to see if it has Thunderbolt or is an older version? Will it say something on the box or have a different model # ?
you can on the lapto pand check in the hardware/device manager

MarshallR@ASUS
06-14-2012, 01:18 PM

======

It's a mistake by this retailer and it will be removed. No G75 update yet.

you can on the lapto pand check in the hardware/device manager

Actually it won't be listed because 'Thunderbolt' is seen as just an extension of PCI-Express so it'll be mixed in with the PCI-Express hardware, and I can't remember if it only activates once it's plugged into something.

HOWEVER, I think Thunderbolt is specifically listed on the outside box sticker and on the palmrest spec sticker (if it's out the box). I'm checking this detail to confirm.

mrhobbeys
06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Lists thunderbolt

http://www.btotech.com/product.asp?pf_id=g75vw-bt1

http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_G75VWDS733D/

MarshallR@ASUS
06-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Lists thunderbolt

http://www.btotech.com/product.asp?pf_id=g75vw-bt1

Thanks! We're getting them removed.

Individ
06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm very glad I found this thread, just in time too!

Here are a few more (one of which I was just about to purchase based on the Thunderbolt port) :

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-eta-midjune-p-4475.html

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds71-p-4323.html

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds72-preorder-p-4325.html

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds733d-p-4324.html

GamerGirlAlice
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
wow this post saved me a mistake. so the g75 will get a tunderbolt option in the future huh. ill defiantly have to keep my eye out.

WolfZap
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Is there any date or month estimated when G75 will get thunderbolt? And will the G55 come cost more with thunderbolt?

Aston01
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Is there any date or month estimated when G75 will get thunderbolt? And will the G55 come cost more with thunderbolt?

I have heard July, but nothing beyond that. I am waiting for a G55 with a Thunderbolt port so would like some more info as well.

Individ
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM

+1

waiting on the G75 with Tb...really hope it's not too long a wait. :eek:

Aston01
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
It is a shame they can't just come out and say mid July ... end of July etc. its not like its the debut of a completely new device that needs a huge reveal.

kikich
07-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Mid July and No G55 with thunderbolt yet :(

Techinstein
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
So I got the ASUS G75VW-BBK5 and it comes with the thunderbolt port. I also have a gateway HD Display HDMI , where can I get a thunderbolt cable and how can I connect it from my notebook to the monitor?
:confused:

colpolite
07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you guys even need thunderbolt that's the question when usb3 is more than enough. Alienware, Clevo/Sager gaming machines don't even have it and a lot of asus g series users don't have it.

I think the reason some guys that are saying that they want it is just to show off and say they have thunderbolt just for bragging rights. :p

WolfZap
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Well, I want the thunderbolt so I can be able to use an external graphicard. :)
So yea, I will definitely put it use. But a G55/G75 is nowhere to be found with TB :(.

MarshallR@ASUS
07-19-2012, 02:12 AM
G55's with Thunderbolt are shipping out next week.

Aston01
07-19-2012, 03:29 AM

I much appreciate the update. Do you think there is much chance they will be in stock anywhere before the end of the month ?

...I am leaving on a trip and was hoping to pick one up before then.

colpolite
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM

Is this all over the world or just the asian market? Reason i asked is because reselleres in America said it'll be Q4 of this year.

Individ
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info Marshall... any news on the new G75?

Mako
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I just bought this

http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_G75VWDS71/

JR still says the machine has thunderbolt... is this a thunderbolt machine or not?

Individ
07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
For:

So I got the ASUS G75VW-BBK5 and it comes with the thunderbolt port. I also have a gateway HD Display HDMI , where can I get a thunderbolt cable and how can I connect it from my notebook to the monitor?
:confused:

and

I just bought this

http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_G75VWDS71/

JR still says the machine has thunderbolt... is this a thunderbolt machine or not?

Please see:

Retailer X shows a G75 with Thunderbolt available!
This is falsely listed. Please give me a link and we will get it corrected.
G75s with Thunderbolt will be available later this year and we will announce availability when they are ready.

noctiswwy
07-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Why not a gtx670m model ? Just let consumers decide what to buy. Don't waste G55 cooling system. Msi does much better at this point. It can be upgraded more powerful. I'm looking forward to listening to this news.

Almost Tactful
07-24-2012, 07:07 PM

I ordered my G55 2 weeks ago, it arrived yesterday and it has the TB port on it...any idea how I got one early?

Almost Tactful
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Never mind, I read the first post and now realize it's a mis-branded port. That's kinda messed up but whatever lol

MetalSnake
07-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I ordered my G55 2 weeks ago, it arrived yesterday and it has the TB port on it...any idea how I got one early?

where did you order yours? I'm not sure where I should buy one...

Almost Tactful
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I got mine at B&H Photo for 1349 shipped and it came with the 12GB/750GB Model, backpack, and mouse. Can't beat it.

colpolite
07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
You sure that one has thunderbolt port in it?

kikich
07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Where i can order G55 with Thunderbolt , any idea?!

MetalSnake
07-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Where i can order G55 with Thunderbolt , any idea?!

I'd like to know as well. However,

so most likely, retailers will not sell them until either next week or the week after, since they are shipping out this week.

Also, I have emailed Asus and they said the G55VW with Thunderbolt will get a new model number (the end tag - ex. (not real) G55VW-DS71-T or G55VW-DS72) note: the G75VW-DS72 does not have Thunderbolt

MarshallR@ASUS
07-27-2012, 02:28 AM
I've just heard this morning that the G55s with Thunderbolt won't be available in the US until Q4. Please understand I didn't make this decision and would have informed those waiting earlier if I'd have known, as I don't particularly enjoy letting down those who have waited patiently. Please accept my apologies for that. Our communications could be better.

All I know is that they have shipped in a limited capacity to France so far. As I eek out more I will report it here.

Basically if you're in the States - every TB G series is Q4.

rampig
07-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Hi MarshallR, most of us won't blame you for that & i trust that your effort in keeping things transparent & updated is still very much appreciated

"The best things in life are worth waiting for, fighting for, believing in, and just never letting go of"
we hope Asus ROG won't let us down:)

dbassnut
07-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Marshall,
Keep up the good work. The only reason that I still have faith in Asus is because of the few helpful people like you here & Kevin Lai in Asus Malaysia.Most of us would agree that we wish that there more helpful people like you around.
So far I've email Asus in Malaysia about 9 times & only one of the replies actually answered the question I posed. Kevin Lai from Asus Malaysia said that the G55s with Thunderbolt would launched in Malaysia sometime mid August, to be confirmed later.

rampig
07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
PMdbassnut,oh thx for the update...it's great tat finally arriving Malaysia

kikich
08-04-2012, 03:42 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/676600-list-thunderbolt-enabled-laptops.html

Asus G55 with Thunderbolt in Q4 ?!
Is there some new information about this?

bignazpwns
08-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Wish i knew this before buying my G75. I was looking for a new laptop at best buy and one of the requirements i had was a display/thunderbolt port since i do a lot of work with big 3d files and we are making the transition to thunderbolt. In my 30 days i tested out a few laptops and on the 30day i picked up a G75 so im stuck with it "knowing this i would of looked at another laptop and not this".

I checked the ports and saw what was the display port and thunderbolt logo. Guy said it had it so i bought it. So i hope Asus plans on doing something about this. Perhaps upgrades to units with thunderbolt. As far as i can see this was bait and switch and pretty much like ford putting 5.0 badges on all the 6cyl mustangs. I lost a lot of respected for Asus on this and i feel cheated and how they handle this issue will determine my actions as well as if i ever buy or recamend another Asus product again.

There should of been a sticker on the outside of the box clearly stating this mess up and or a sticker or peace of paper when you open your laptop to power it on so that is is known the first moments you buy it so you may have the option to return it.

MarshallR@ASUS
08-15-2012, 05:53 AM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/676600-list-thunderbolt-enabled-laptops.html

Asus G55 with Thunderbolt in Q4 ?!
Is there some new information about this?

Q4 for most regions as stated in post 35.

bignazpwns - Very sorry for the confusion in your purchase. We endeavor to make it as clear as possible to our retail and distribution partners that the products do not currently contain Thunderbolt. I'm very sorry if you've been mis-sold by the sales person at your point of purchase - perhaps you can return it for an exchange. The included spec list would not have contained Thunderbolt as there is no hardware inside the machine.

The icon is not official Intel Thunderbolt (which is a circle and bolt). It was designed as merely a generic icon to represent a combination port of Display Port (the square) and Thunderbolt where available (bolt) as we have one chassis design for all models. On feedback this has since been removed to avoid potential confusion, but there will still be some older chassis - such as yours - that remain on shelves in the short term.

Shawnnepc
08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Wish i knew this before buying my G75. I was looking for a new laptop at best buy and one of the requirements i had was a display/thunderbolt port since i do a lot of work with big 3d files and we are making the transition to thunderbolt. In my 30 days i tested out a few laptops and on the 30day i picked up a G75 so im stuck with it "knowing this i would of looked at another laptop and not this".

I checked the ports and saw what was the display port and thunderbolt logo. Guy said it had it so i bought it. So i hope Asus plans on doing something about this. Perhaps upgrades to units with thunderbolt. As far as i can see this was bait and switch and pretty much like ford putting 5.0 badges on all the 6cyl mustangs. I lost a lot of respected for Asus on this and i feel cheated and how they handle this issue will determine my actions as well as if i ever buy or recamend another Asus product again.

There should of been a sticker on the outside of the box clearly stating this mess up and or a sticker or peace of paper when you open your laptop to power it on so that is is known the first moments you buy it so you may have the option to return it.

Your issue is more or less with the Best Buy.

I would let them know you were mislead by one of their employees. I have yet to meet a Geeksquad member or floor salesman who fully understands the products on the floor.

ASUS took steps in inform retailers that these laptops do NOT have thunderbolt, in your case the fault is with Best Buy.

dbassnut
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Marshall,
Keep up the good work. The only reason that I still have faith in Asus is because of the few helpful people like you here & Kevin Lai in Asus Malaysia.Most of us would agree that we wish that there more helpful people like you around.
So far I've email Asus in Malaysia about 9 times & only one of the replies actually answered the question I posed. Kevin Lai from Asus Malaysia said that the G55s with Thunderbolt would launched in Malaysia sometime mid August, to be confirmed later.

Just dropped by the computer shops in Penang, Malaysia yesterday evening. No Thunderbolt equiped G55s available yet & its already mid August as they seem to be trying to clear the older G55s.., which are not on display. You only get to see them if you pay first. grrr.
Oh well, guess, since I've waited so long, a few more weeks won't kill.

rampig
08-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Just dropped by the computer shops in Penang, Malaysia yesterday evening. No Thunderbolt equiped G55s available yet & its already mid August as they seem to be trying to clear the older G55s.., which are not on display. You only get to see them if you pay first. grrr.
Oh well, guess, since I've waited so long, a few more weeks won't kill.

Exactly the same here in KL area, no display unit..pay some down-payment, wait for few hours/days to get 1 G55VW (w/o thunderbolt):mad:

true oso, best thing worth waiting:o

dbassnut
08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Rampig,
I'm current on face slap basis with the sales people at Gadgetzone, Penang as I've been there so many times since the Asus G55 came out that the sales people there face slap themselves everytime they see me approaching. lol.
Still no sign of Thunderbolt equiped Asus G55s as I get the feeling they are trying to clear the non TB G55s before bringing in the new ones.

dbassnut
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi Rampig,
I'm current on face slap basis with the sales people at Gadgetzone, Penang as I've been there so many times since the Asus G55 came out that the sales people there face slap themselves everytime they see me approaching. lol.
Still no sign of Thunderbolt equiped Asus G55s as I get the feeling they are trying to clear the non TB G55s before bringing in the new ones.

Latest update on the Thunderbolt equipped G55s from an email from the Asus Service Center. "please check with your local reseller". lol. Should the Asus service center know more about this, as they, well, work at Asus?
Hoping to see TB G55s in September. :).

rampig
09-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Latest update on the Thunderbolt equipped G55s from an email from the Asus Service Center. "please check with your local reseller". lol. Should the Asus service center know more about this, as they, well, work at Asus?

Indeed, very diplomatic reply from Asus Service Center, responded yet didnt answer us directly :p
Wish to get it in Sep too...my birth month :o

MarshallR@ASUS
09-01-2012, 01:29 PM

It's completely down to resellers whether they stock the models. Most ASUS staff don't know what is stocked at any particular time, as we don't control the point of purchase.

kikich
09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
:D Asus G55 & Thunderbold is like the holy Grail ;)

Abby
09-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I was shopping around for a site to customize an Asus for me. I came across a site that is advertising two different Asus computers with a Thunderbolt port. I almost ordered it and am glad that I asked someone who knows computers. http://www.agearnotebooks.com/shop-by-brand-asus.html

Agear has the G75VW DS71 and DS73-3D as having Thunderbolt :(

Abby
09-16-2012, 04:06 PM
BTO still has the G75 listed with Thunderbolt. I just came across it...

http://www.btotech.com/_e/loc/sproductdetail/1022248285/Asus_G75VW_DS71_17_3_Notebook_Intel_Core_i7_i7_361 0QM_2_30_GHz_Black.htm

Shawnnepc
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
It's incorrect.

There's no G series out in the states that has Thunderbolt.

I just e-mailed them and made them aware of the error :)

BTO still has the G75 listed with Thunderbolt. I just came across it...

http://www.btotech.com/_e/loc/sproductdetail/1022248285/Asus_G75VW_DS71_17_3_Notebook_Intel_Core_i7_i7_361 0QM_2_30_GHz_Black.htm

Dolce
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
2020PC.com and J&R listing G75VW-DS73-3D with THUNDERBOLT
http://www.2020pc.com/_e/Notebooks/sproduct/1022235446/Asus_G75VW_DS73_3D_17_3_3D_Notebook_Intel_Core_i7_ i7_3610QM_2_30_GHz_Black.htm

Mr_SoundMan
10-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Is this finally it, do they really have thunderbolt? Are these listings for real, or are they more of the same misleading ads?

Fallin2Rhythm
10-09-2012, 02:03 PM
This is the email I sent to ROG, if anyone can answer these same questions please do!

"Hi, I was wondering when the G55 laptops with thunderbolt ports with be shipping out to the U.S. And if possible, could someone let me know via email or on the forum thread named "g55 Clarification"? Also if possible, could you let me and others on that forum thread know which retailers will get the laptop first?

Thanks so much!
Jon Bouchey

Ps.
These new G series laptops will be the first laptops that will match or beat the macbook pro in all aspects of functionality, besides weight and size (for good reason) and retina display (not needed), all for much less money and the ability to upgrade internally nearly everything. You probably already knows most of this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to state why it is important to give us up to date knowledge about your potentially ground breaking product :D"

Thanks!

x Kram 24k x
10-11-2012, 05:02 PM
hello, im from Philippines..i wanna ask about my new brought G55VW-S1055V i5 last month.:(
this doesn't have TB. do all i5 processor of G55vw dont have TB or it just because this is not a DS71?? :confused:
but this has a mini port but dont have a Thunderbolt logo on top.

Thanks in advance!

dbassnut
10-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Asus hasn't released any TB equipped G55s yet *sigh* but I think there is a competition online where you can win one as soon as its available if you're an existing G series laptop owner.

MarshallR@ASUS
10-12-2012, 03:43 AM
We have released them but in limited quantities unfortunately. There will be more hitting stores with the Windows 8 launch later this month I'm told :)

dbassnut
10-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi Richard,
Thats great news. I can't wait til they reach Malaysian shores. :)

Fallin2Rhythm
10-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks Richard! Do you know of any specific ship dates or specific stores stores receiving them in the U.S.?

Mako
10-14-2012, 06:46 PM
How can we identify the new TB equipped systems?

gicrose
10-15-2012, 12:03 AM
mine just got to my door saturday
it has the port on the right side..in between HDMI and 2 USB 3.0

Mr_SoundMan
10-15-2012, 12:21 AM

Where did you order yours from?

MarshallR@ASUS
10-15-2012, 12:40 AM
How can we identify the new TB equipped systems?

Unfortunately there is no new ID. You have to check the specs (I know, we in marketing don't like it either.. :()

Can you tell me the full product code with suffix? Thanks.

For those wanting to know where to buy: it's best you ask local ASUS Facebook pages - they are operated by local teams who will be in earshot of sales in the same office. This is the best I can do sorry.

Fallin2Rhythm
10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Does anyone happen to know what the facebook page for USA ROG is?

pillowpants
10-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately there is no new ID. You have to check the specs (I know, we in marketing don't like it either.. :()

Can you tell me the full product code with suffix? Thanks.

For those wanting to know where to buy: it's best you ask local ASUS Facebook pages - they are operated by local teams who will be in earshot of sales in the same office. This is the best I can do sorry.

I found the G55VW-DH71 on gentechpc. Here's the listing:

http://www.gentechpc.com/showpages.asp?pid=1202

It lists it as having a Thunderbolt port and Windows 8. Listings of the DH71 on other sites don't mention the Thunderbolt port, though. And the DH71 listed on newegg lists it as having a 750GB HDD + 256GB SSD. So it's all over the place at this point. Hoping things will be clarified in the next few days.

MarshallR@ASUS
10-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Does anyone happen to know what the facebook page for USA ROG is?

www.facebook.com/asus.n.america

They don't have an ROG specific page.

MarshallR@ASUS
10-16-2012, 01:40 AM

It lists it as having a Thunderbolt port and Windows 8. Listings of the DH71 on other sites don't mention the Thunderbolt port, though. And the DH71 listed on newegg lists it as having a 750GB HDD + 256GB SSD. So it's all over the place at this point. Hoping things will be clarified in the next few days.

I would call GentechPC to double-check but I think the DH71 is not Thunderbolt given Amazon/Newegg.

MarshallR@ASUS
10-16-2012, 01:40 AM

I would call GentechPC to double-check (maybe their product code is wrong) but I think the DH71 is not Thunderbolt given Amazon/Newegg.

Fallin2Rhythm
10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I just called gentechpc and they told me the preorders will ship the day windows 8 comes out. They also said that any of the new asus g55s that they're sending out with windows 8 will also have the thunderbolt port. The first lady I talked to before talking to the sales rep told me that any preorder involving windows 8 should be getting processed within the next week once Microsoft gives them the go.

Xoticpc also has this preorder set up but I don't think it comes with a razer mouse. It only comes with the backpack. Gentech has both :D

MarshallR@ASUS
10-18-2012, 01:37 AM
I just called gentechpc and they told me the preorders will ship the day windows 8 comes out. They also said that any of the new asus g55s that they're sending out with windows 8 will also have the thunderbolt port. The first lady I talked to before talking to the sales rep told me that any preorder involving windows 8 should be getting processed within the next week once Microsoft gives them the go.

Xoticpc also has this preorder set up but I don't think it comes with a razer mouse. It only comes with the backpack. Gentech has both :D

Excellent news :D

Fallin2Rhythm
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I have another question kind off topic for the G75... I was wondering if having a thunderbolt port is just as rare on the g75s as the g55s?.. I've also taken buying the G75 into consideration. (Gentechpc.com also has the G75 for pre-order as a DH71[sounds iffy] model and it is also advertised as having thunderbolt. The only difference on this website[compared to the g55] is when you go into the customize options it does not show the thunderbolt as a selected or selectable option [there is just no indication of it being there].)
I will call them again to see if they meant to do it but in the meantime I hope you can answer my question.

Thanks!

Fallin2Rhythm
10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I just contacted Gentechpc.com about the g75 with windows 8 pre-order and they said that it will not come with thunderbolt port and they will change the advertisement banner that says it will. Still wondering on the status of the thunderbolt port for the G75 (Wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to put it on the gtx670mx version.... which would suck... cause we still don't know the release date, and for people like me, who will use thunderbolt for recording with firewire and will not need/afford the higher graphics card, will not want to upgrade graphics in order to get that port.) Will repost all of this on G75 Thunderbolt thread :)

MarshallR@ASUS
10-31-2012, 06:52 AM
G75VX will introduce Thunderbolt yes. G75VW is being phased out so will not receive it.

coffeepot
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
@ MarshallR@ASUS

Could you say if a g55 with thunderbolt will be released in germany?
And could you also say a release date for it? (more or less)

thx

kikich
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
@ MarshallR@ASUS or anyone who can help

Okay i think we all have problem with this thunderbolt, we know for sure that there isn't and we can't buy Asus G55 with thunderbolt in Europe, i asked most of the retailers around my country (Bulgaria) that i found i they told me that they are not going to sell such thing this year for sure , so THE QUESTION is how we can order Asus G55 from our countries(in Europe) for us in reasonable time and price (Amazon or any other international site is not an option i want to order it from the official ASUS Local retailer) .

coffeepot
11-04-2012, 09:17 AM
@kikich

i found some official (french)retailers about the rog.asus.com site. I also found with google in Swiss some offers(g55 with thunderbolt).

Here the site: http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_292430.html Maybe it's a help for you.

For me it isn't a help, because i want to have the normal standard german keyboard layout.
That's why I'am looking for help in this forum. :(

MarshallR@ASUS
11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I've just received this. Here are the countries that currently have had G55 with Thunderbolt shipped to them:

CZECH REPUBLIC
FRANCE
GERMANY
LITHUANIA
NETHERLANDS
SLOVAKIA
USA
VIETNAM

kikich
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I've just received this. Here are the countries that currently have had G55 with Thunderbolt shipped to them:

CZECH REPUBLIC
FRANCE
GERMANY
LITHUANIA
NETHERLANDS
SLOVAKIA
USA
VIETNAM

thank you very much :)

If anybody find where we can order this TB notebooks, post the link here please

coffeepot
11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
MarshallR@ASUS
I already know this list(from Menu: Where to buy ;) ), but in Germany there are no g55 with thunderbolt and there is no preorder for it?!? =(
Only in France and in Swiss an order is possible.

Or are your news brand new and damn hot? =) Then i would be more than happy!!!

Do you know any reseller for germany? Asus doen't listed the g55 with thunderbolt neither the g55 on
http://rog.asus.com/de/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

thanks

MarshallR@ASUS
11-12-2012, 01:33 AM
I only know what's been shipped out from here currently. I'm going to try and get a where to buy update from all our regional teams this week/next week.

We don't list Thunderbolt as a separate product, it's an extra addon only sorry :(

coffeepot
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
That would be great, if you could tell us where to buy. =D

The Thunderbolt-Addon makes G55 product for me perfectly!

coffeepot
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
@ MarshallR@ASUS
Two weeks are passed. Do you have any updates?

GenTechPC
03-13-2013, 10:36 PM
New models came with Thunderbolt Port are:
- G55VW-DH71 Windows 8 (Windows 7 SKUs does not)
- G75VX-DS72 GTX670MX / Windows 8 (G75VW GTX670M/ Windows 8 does not)

cl-Albert
03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Be aware of the full model names like G55VW-DH71 and G75VX-DS72 since other 'full model names' will be different.
If you only know you are getting a G55VW or G75VX model, this isn't enough information, so check for the full model name to be sure you are getting what you want.
Also, those are US and Canadian region full model names only (which should be printed next to the serial number under the notebook), so customers in other regions will need to check with their local sales and support for more details.

Every region can and will usually be different regarding the models and variations they sell.