PDA

View Full Version : power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Pages : [1] 2

Jack Brown
03-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?

Jack Brown
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, unfortunately, the only answer I was able to get from Asus was that I needed to send it in for warranty repair. This means my nice laptop is not going to Milpitas, CA via FedEx (3-5 days) for a 3-4 day turnaround, and then another 3-5 days back to Minneapolis.

Makes me want to consider finding someplace that can do a modification to it, replacing the power supply connector with something like Apple does on their Macbooks.

SIGH.

So, has anyone else had this problem?

LoganJames
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Hey,

I had the exact same issue, and after doing some digging on other websites i found there are other people that its happened to.

The power port always felt loose, but the fact that the pin came out could mean some design/quality issues as the pin is typically soldered to a larger plate bigger than the hole so it cannot be pulled out... but here we are.

Im waiting to hear back from Asus if they have my 1 year accidental on file, and ill be sending it in as well.

Jack Brown
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
This should still be under your manufacturers warranty, rather than the accidental damage one... as this should be considered a manufacturing defect.

When I looked at the broken pin, it looked like it was less than a millimeter wide, down from around 2-2.5mm. Personally, I think that is far too thin for something as critical as this.

Checking around town here (in the Twin Cities), non-warranty repairs will run from $100-$150... and given the nature of this, I am fully expecting (unfortunately) this to happen again.

If you have links to sites talking about this problem, I would greatly appreciate it

Fredde
03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Clearly ASUS deserves a boot in the ass for sending "straight" power-connectors.. and mega-large ones too! :P

Built to fail.. Should be a free exchange or at least a free L-adapter..

Ratchet19
03-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I found something to solve the problem with this (CNT-LC53 LC53 - Right Angle 90 Degree Converter for 5.5x2.5mm Connector) http://search.store.yahoo.net/laptopupgrade/cgi-bin/nsearch?.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.net%2Fl aptopupgrade%2Fnsearch.html&catalog=laptopupgrade&query=CNT-LC53+LC53&x=20&y=23

Jack Brown
03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Now, do we know for sure that will work with the G53Jw?

I am assuming that there are more than one plug style.

Jack Brown
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, this is getting to be VERY freaking lame. First, this all happens. Then, it turns out that the turn-around time for the repair (after shipping it from MN to CA) is 7-10 days.

Now the RMA is tagged as "Customer Induced Damage"? WTF?
I did nothing wrong! I didn't abuse the machine, was always careful with it. I have never seen a laptop power connector fail, much less this quickly.

In almost 10 years of using dells at work (we have dozens, if not hundreds of them), I have never heard of this happening to ANY of them!

I am completely not happy with this situation. Talking with customer/technical support hasn't been of any help, because they can't get any information directly from the repair center. Still, I cannot believe this could be considered my fault.

Gatsby
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
This literally just happened to me. The plug is so weak that just me moving my laptop around in my lap an nudging the power cord broke the inside tip off. I'm pretty upset, I use this laptop for my school needs and I really don't think that there is any other option here but to send it in...

Jack Brown
03-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear that, Gatsby.

Did get a call from the RMA department, and they are fixing mine under warranty (not the ADW, either), and are investigating the problem. Evidently it is starting to happen a lot.

Hopefully, there will be a recall on these, and we'll all be able to get a better connector, or something.,

Gatsby
03-12-2011, 01:48 AM
That's good to hear at least. I'm not sure about the status of my accidental warranty, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay for it. Just looking at the way the connector is constructed makes me wonder why they would make it like that, it looks like its destined to fail.

Brunokr
03-18-2011, 02:34 AM
My pin came loose as well... My bew G53 is now broken!!! And even worst, i live in Brazil and there is no warrenty from Asus here! Global warrenty only for some contries...

Now, does any one know what is the power conector jack model or series number so I can change?

Thank you everybody and good luck with these problem,

Bruno

Brunokr
03-18-2011, 02:41 AM
My pin came loose as well... My bew G53 is now broken!!! And even worst, i live in Brazil and there is no warrenty from Asus here! Global warrenty only for some contries...

Now, does any one know what is the power conector jack model or series number so I can change?

Thank you everybody and good luck with these problem,

Bruno

Ratchet19
03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Now, do we know for sure that will work with the G53Jw?

I am assuming that there are more than one plug style.

Well this is what I bought after my research on the G53JW-xn1, it seems this was the only con I was reading on the reviews on Newegg and other sites, so I decided to get this 1 day after my laptop arrived ! I haven't had problems, I think the adaapter fits more snug in the power female adapter than the original!

zastotako
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Hey everyone,

I have exactly the same problem, central pin is broken, the only this is that i called Asus representatives in my country ( Serbia ) and they've told me that it's not under warranty, actually they've "sent" photographies to Netherlands, where is the main service department in Europe, and the answer was that is not under warranty, so i want to ask, how to solve this problem, because its not damage that i've made its their mistake, and i don't wanna pay anything. Any suggestions?

Jack Brown
03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Any suggestions?

I would try telling them that people are getting this repair completed in the United States... on exactly that same problem. That, and US support is supposedly looking into this being a chronic problem.

Worst case, this should be covered by your Accidental Damage Warranty.

zastotako
03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
yeah, i've already done that. The thing is that they still wont replace it.. i would like to contact Netherlands or even Taiwan but cant find the number. HELP ME PLEASE :)

zastotako
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
ok, they've told me to get confirmation letter from Asus about this problem, that they are fixing it anywhere on earth..

Jack Brown
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
That's good to hear.

Now, to add to MY issues... they made the repair, just fine... EXCEPT they didn't plug in the antenna lead for the wireless... so, now it is heading back to CA to have that repaired.

zastotako
03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
No news for now, im still waiting for Asus to confirm that this is manufacturer mistake, representatives from Serbia sent an email to Netherlands again, about this particular problem, with link to this forum.. Well, the thing is if you buy laptop or something else from Asus, you have global warranty, so it doesn't matter in which country you are you have that warranty. So if Asus in USA is fixing this under warranty, then why don't they fix it here...Also i've called Asus in USA to confirm it, they've told me that they are fixing it under warranty.

jigoun
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Hello Guys,

Just to let you know that in the French Forum dealing about Asus's laptops : http://www.forum-des-portables-asus.fr/viewtopic.php?pid=39934#p39934

We're actually about 12 people having the same problem with this power adapter on Asus G53JW.

Of course Asus France Helpdesk refuse to fix it under warranty.

In France We're going to make together a letter to Asus France Managers to ask them to accept the fix under warranty.
And plan to make a complaint in French Court if Asus France still refuse.

Kind regards from Paris

zastotako
03-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Good to hear!!!

Well, i'm already doing that, but i'm alone here, because i'm the only one at the moment that have this computer here. So, yes i spoke today with department of trade, and they've told me that if they won't fix it, they will send an email to Asus. So, practicly they are waiting for my answer.

atv3
03-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Hello all just bought a G53 & am now alittle freaked out about this. I bought the laptop acouple of weeks ago and was woundering if Asus may have updated their plug. My connector seems very snug when plugging it in and looking at my pin it really doesnt look that fragile to break. Can someone please post a pic of their broken pin for comparison?

zastotako
03-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think so, but anyway its made from gold, so it should be yellow, just check to color... Any news from france?

zastotako
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Btw can you please change the name of this thread?

xeromist
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Btw can you please change the name of this thread?

Change it to what?

zastotako
03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Something like : G53jw - power connector defect or something like that, and make it sticky so people can see it before buying.

xeromist
03-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I updated the title to reflect that this is specifically the connector pin on the G53JW since that seems to be the consensus.

zastotako
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Good :D, thanks :)

you can delete this last few posts, including this one :)

kiera2
03-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I had this problem back in January and my local Asus repair centre (Japan) initially refused to repair it under warranty. After a LOT of angry phone calls and a lot of emails exchanged with Asus customer support in Taiwan (where Asus is based) they finally agreed to fix it under warranty. It took me over a month to convince them, and another three weeks before I FINALLY got my G53Jw back.

Obviously after getting it back in early March I was super careful with the connector, tried to make absolutely sure I put no undue pressure on the connection, etc, etc.

Saturday morning I woke up to find that my laptop was out of power. THE PIN HAD BROKEN AGAIN. I'm going to take it in to the repair centre where I currently am (Melbourne, Australia) today, but even if they fix it under warranty I'm worried that this same problem will keep happening :/

zastotako
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that is the biggest problem, what happens when they fix it, well the answer is obvious... I hope they will change pin on motherboard...

kiera2
03-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Yeah, that is the biggest problem, what happens when they fix it, well the answer is obvious... I hope they will change pin on motherboard...
They certainly didn't change anything on mine, just put in the exact same part which broke a month later in the exact same way :/

And now it's going to take 14-21 days to repair it AGAIN, by which point I'll be out of the country, which means asking a friend to collect the computer and post it to me overseas at my own expense.

I suppose at least this time I didn't have to spend a month arguing that this KNOWN ISSUE should be fixed under warranty, unlike my experiences with the morons at the repair centre in Japan. (I've had nothing but great experiences with the Asus repair centre in Melbourne.)

By the way, if anyone is having trouble getting this issue repaired under warranty, try emailing tsd@asus.com.tw for support. They forwarded my email to their "Correlative Department" and after a few follow-up emails Asus contacted the uncooperative Japan repair centre on my behalf and got them to repair my laptop under warranty.

zastotako
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok, finally i've got an email from asus, they are fixing it under warranty :DDDDD

Stinky D
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
How were you able to get this repaired under warranty? I live in the US, MN and I called Asus twice, both times they said this would not be covered under the warranty, even the accidental damage warranty (WTF?). I sent out an email to the address above, but have yet to receive a reply.

I'm really at a loss for words as this laptop is just over a month old.

Gatsby
04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I got my laptop back with the same old pin. ASUS covered it, not sure which warranty it was covered under (accidental or regular warranty) but it was covered.

Now though I'm worried that even though I am very careful with it, I may accidentally nudge it lightly again. Quite the design failure in their part, hopefully they remedy it soon.

Stinky D- Who did you get your laptop through? I got mine through Xotic PC, and they have great customer service, and I just emailed them my info and they set the RMA up for me. If you got it from an online retailer or something I would try e-mailing them if nothing else works.

irdmoose
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I know this is about the G53JW, but doesn't the G73JW have the exact same connector? I've been exceedingly careful with my G73 so far (I have broken pins off in power connectors in the past, but those were in more easily damaged locations like the back center where the battery is on the 73), but I usually plug and unplug my laptop 2-3 times per day. Based upon the service experience people are facing here, I'm kinda glad I got the extended warranty when I bought mine.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, I don't need that kind of trouble.

youbeyo
04-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi,

I broke my electric outlet aswell. Unfortunately, in France they don't consider this problem as being guaranteed.
Indeed I'm looking for someone who could send me a proof, that in other countries, the reparation of the electric outlet broken, is guaranteed.

Thank you in advance for your help,

baca
05-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi,

Same thing happened to me, twice within the last 2 months. I just sent my laptop to repair today and I hope to get it back within the next 7-10 days. So annoying. At lease it's under warranty.

Did anyone figure out a way for this not to happen again? Is the Right Angle 90 Degree Converter for 5.5x2.5mm Connector any good and does it help?

Cheers

ds_rose
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
My g53jw pin has broken for the second time!!! So now I face another 2 week wait to have it repaired.
The first time it failed within 1 month of having the unit. It sits on an office desk all day and I take it home for safety, so there is no pressure applied to the adapter. It runs multiple VMWares and the temperature out the back vents gets to the point where you can't keep your fingers there.
Likewise I've noted the power connector can get equally hot which seems justifiable as you have a heater coming out the back the power to the pin is going to equally get as hot.
The pointy pin you are left with sticking out the out of your adapter makes me think this is the point of failure that the heat expansion and contraction at that point over time destroys however it is being held there. You look at the surface area of the tip and there is nothing there so is it just being clamped in somehow to the adapter. Whatever the explanation this is the second time in 6 months the pin has broken so I'm not looking forward to this computer going out of warranty.

At least in Australia they are happily repairing the computer. They did try to say it was my fault but like others I've had 10 years with Dell's and never a problem like this and now twice in 6 months.

This is definately a design flaw in a $2.50 component that is causing a great computer to have a lifespan that won't go past its warranty.

Good luck everyone and keep the pressure on Asus if they won't fix it. We will all be without a computer if they can't design a fix.

Chastity@ASUS
05-28-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't know about a design flaw. I have 3 in the house and no pin breakage. Perhaps you should review how you use it, and maybe invest in a "L" adapter for the plug.

pacificpikachu
06-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Another frustrated person adding to the thread! I got my ASUS G53JW in February from XoticPC.com, and the center pin broke within a month of gentle use. I got it repaired after a big hassle and weeks without being able to use the computer. Luckily, one of the repair stations is just about three hours drive from me so it only took maybe five or six days for the repair to be completed.

Now, a few weeks later and it's happened again! I feel like bashing my head against something. I use my laptop a great deal, so being without it for even a few days is a huge inconvenience.

I am going to talk to XoticPC and see if they will help me, as I am extremely frustrated right now. I want it fixed, and not only that I want it fixed so it's not just going to break again!

Chastity@ASUS
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I think what you need to invest in is getting a L-adapter to take the stress off that port. Get it fixed again under warranty, and then get the adapter for your power brick.

Kreaper
06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
same thing happened to me as well... warranty covered it but i use it for school as well and the fact that i had to send it in and pay for shipping there and then wait ten working days (not including the two weekends) was pretty crappy, not to mention that when they sent it back they did not include my apartment number in the address and it sat at a fed ex for a whole day before i figured it out and informed fed ex myself. had i not been calling the tech support hounding them about info on when they were going to send it back it wouldve sat at that fed ex distribution facility another day or two. pretty shoddy all the way around except for warranty covering it. its such a powerful laptop it just seems ridiculous that such a vital part of the machine is so weak. def hope some day there is a recal but until then im def going to grab one of those L adapters.

Gatsby
06-12-2011, 09:40 PM
So my pin just broke, again. This is getting extremely old, and I am even more careful than I was before it happened the first time. I really hope this gets covered out of warranty because it's complete crap.

LoganJames
06-15-2011, 03:40 AM
I think i will be taking Chastity's advice and ordering that adapter as my power pin pulled out yet again, despite keep precious care of it and being extremely anal retentive to anyone who walks near it or even stares at it! Its really just sad, the design is a flaw, the natural weight of the cord is quite high for a pin that comes to a point on the solder end to hold comfortably.

The turn around time is nice, but this time i believe i have the right to demand they pay for the shipping cost to their repair offices, this is not acceptable as the quality and caliber (not to mention cost) is much higher than an average laptop that will almost never have the same issue (in my experience 4-5 work budget price laptops)

I'll try not to sound to disagreeable on the phone, but good customer service knows how to handle these repeat issues, being in a tech services position myself i would hope they understand.

Buy the adapter! they wont ever give you one :D

Chastity@ASUS
06-15-2011, 05:07 AM
This is why I suggest many times the Targus APA05 power supply. It's 180w which is good for keeping the brick cool, and has extra potential for overclockers. Also, the tips are all L-shaped. And they're cheap as OEM / Refurbs.

LoganJames
06-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I like your suggestion, it is just very frustrating that so many people need to spend more on a laptop in upgrades when you expect it to function out of the box without having to worry too much. It would be like having to buy a new gas cap for your car because after a few months the threads weaken so you need to upgrade to the premier addition, silly is all :D since the pos Honda from '81 has had the same cap for years! ha ha.

Chastity@ASUS
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
TBH I haven't gotten a lot of complaints about the pin breakage. Some, but not a lot. At least there are some decent inexpensive options to rectify it.

LoganJames
06-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Myself and my father in law who is 1000 km away had the same issue within a week of the each other, its bizzare but true, maybe it was a Canadian version thing, i dunno.

If someone wasn't traveling a lot or moving the laptop around very often i can see the connection holding just fine but it seems that lights amount of stress over a period of time is what kills it.

reiyu
06-16-2011, 04:36 AM
anybody tried this out? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L74PGI

LoganJames
06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
That connector seems to be recommended, i have ordered 2 and hope they will help us out.

reiyu
06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
can you take a picture of it please? i'm thinking of getting one as well.

rocket
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Just happen to my 3yr old asus laptop.Same problem on last laptop a Benq. Fairly sure it is due to small plug just overheats to stage it welds itself to inside plug. This was my 3rd power supply in 3 yrs. With Benq I could not find anyone to fix.
So set too and pulled it apart and soldered 2 wires to inside power switch, led wire thru power plug hole and connected to power supply. Updated to Asus 3 yrs ago and same problem. Having quick look at back of Asus laptop it looks like it is going to be much easier to get to plug than benq. Design fault for sure. Dell seem to have larger plug to absorb the heat.

Hey,

I had the exact same issue, and after doing some digging on other websites i found there are other people that its happened to.

The power port always felt loose, but the fact that the pin came out could mean some design/quality issues as the pin is typically soldered to a larger plate bigger than the hole so it cannot be pulled out... but here we are.

Im waiting to hear back from Asus if they have my 1 year accidental on file, and ill be sending it in as well.

DarkLordTeddy
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Ugh... this issue just occurred to my G53Sw. Anyone else having this too? I'm gonna send it to my service centre in a couple of days to get it fixed... hopefully it'll be fixed for good.. the lappy is only about 3 months old =(

Right now, the pin is stuck in my charger.. Probably not gonna try to mess with either the lappy or the charger... Wierd part is that the pin just came off (while i was taking out my charger). Without any force or the like =(

Any luck this I won't face this problem again?

~Cheers.

Jezbot
08-03-2011, 01:55 AM
I just had the same thing happen to me. I did not mistreat the laptop in any way and the pin just came out one morning still stuck into my power supply cord. Unfortunate. I live in Japan. Is the warranty issue resolved or am I going to need to have ASUS call the Japan office. I dont know how it broke but I do know that I sure as heck did not break it. Also, should I go ahead and buy the adapter so this does not happen again?

DarkLordTeddy
08-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Gonna go get it repaired today.. will keep this post updated so as to what happens.. Maybe it'll do us affected by this problem some good

drakmon
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I bought my G53JW from XoticPC in December. In February, the power pin broke and I sent it back to get fixed. Fast-forward 6 months to the last few weeks... I'm noticing that my power plug sometimes needs to get rotated/jiggled in order to actually charge the laptop (i.e. the pin is on its last legs again). I'm considering sending this in for a warranty fix and then grabbing the Targus APA05US Adapter (http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=14373).

If the pin breaks again, I'm buying my next laptop from a manufacturer other than ASUS. I love the design and performance, but a repeating failure like this is unacceptable. If the part fails consistently, it should be replaced with a better part, not the same part ;)

DarkLordTeddy
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
So yeah.. sorry guys, I know I'm about half a year late in responding ;p..
Was really busy with college and stuff, so my precious G53 sat there for bout half a year getting covered by dust >.<

Anyway, this is how it went.
I rang my service centre last Friday and they offered to get my lappy shipped on Monday. So yeah, the delivery company picked it up on Monday and it reached the centre on Tuesday. Since I was watching the RMA status every hour, I was pleasantly surprised that Asus fixed up my problem only 3 hours after arrival at the centre. Needless to say, it was sent back on the same day... Though it finally only arrived on Friday.. (It could have arrived on Thursday, buy delivery messed up.. grrrr...)

Was kinda happy with the 3-4 day turnaround. All my files were intact too :D If ASUS RMA is usually this fast (and convenient), I'll definitely be checking ASUS out for my next lappy.

Ahh, but back to the main topic.. How was my laptop?

Well, First thing I checked out was the broken pin, It seemed like they had just soldered it back on, so I wasn't too happy... might break again who knows?

For now, that's the least of my problems..
When I got my lappy back, I noticed two problems.
1. Windows was asking me to reactivate. I was kinda confused with this.. Anyone has any idea why? I tried using the same product key, but received the error message that it wasn't valid.. The service centre didn't even reformat my disks..
2. My Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller was giving me the Code 10 ('the device cannot start') error.... Was wondering whether the service centre took it out.. Or knocked it loose from the mobo? Dunno ;p.. Some research online led me to conclude that I'll need to BIOS flash to fix it.. But I really, really can't be stuffed doing that now.. Too much of a hassle if I fail the flash...

Guess I'll just have to do without wired internet =(..
Unless anyone has a suggestion =)

xeromist
09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
It sounds like they swapped the motherboard. That would cause the activation message. You should be able to resolve this with a call to Microsoft.

The board that got put in may have a soldered connector to make it more robust or it could be a repaired board from another RMA. Either way I wish you the best of luck and hope it doesn't happen again.

I would try reinstalling the ethernet driver with the latest version. You never know if it might work.

ddelmas27
09-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, this happened twice to me....first time i called and shipped it in and now its starting to do it again and its the connector not the charger itself. This laptop is stupid...worse decision ive ever made buying this piece of crap

DarkLordTeddy
09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
With some advice from the MS forums, I fixed up my issue using the COA_SLP product key on the sticker behind my laptop... They found it wierd that I didn't seem to need to go through the phone activation to make it work.. But said it should be alright. maybe. As for the ethernet card.. If what you suggested might be true (that they replaced it with another mobo), it could already be broken... =/.. Driver updates keep giving errors like 'the device cannot start'... Am pretty sure I can live without it.. Next time I've gotta RMA, I'll mention it to the service centre

Also, just kinda noticed that with the stock charger, the cylindrical looking thing on it (located bout 13-15 cm behind the charger head, and it's significantly heavy too), hangs in mid-air, IMO, that's prolly the reason for this issue..
I'll get that recommended Targus charger soon. but for now, am using my calculator to hold it up :D.

btk131
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I have also been having the same problem with ASUS. My ASUS G53JW-XA1 has been a lemon ever since I bought it in March.

Today my connector pin broke for the third time in 6 months. I have sent it back two times to ASUS, with about 1 month of combined turnaround time. In other words, in my 5 months of usage, the pin breaks every 1.6 months.

Amazon has offered to refund 80% of the purchase price. I'll lose almost $250, but I can't take the chance that this continues to happen once the warranty expires. In all fairness to Amazon, they previously offered to give me a full refund a few months ago, but I decided to give ASUS a chance. I regret that decision.

In addition, the USB ports in this notebook have been loose ever since I received it. ASUS never fixed the USB's, despite my asking them to do so the two times it was sent for repairs.

Also, wrongfully ASUS denied a $100 rebate on grounds that I did not send them a proper UPC/bar code from the original box. However, their own rebate site has photocopies of all materials I sent, including the UPC code in question.

ASUS need to understand that this goes beyond not being able to play video games for a couple weeks. I use my laptop to conduct business, take college courses, communicate with people, pay my bills and do my banking. My family time is also spent watching movies using this laptop.

If this is indicative of ASUS, then I will never buy from them again, and I will warn others not to either.

It's a real shame, because the performance of the computer was great... when it worked. Initially I thought I got a great notebook, and I could see myself being a lifelong customer. I no longer feel that way.
Brian

JRd1st
10-08-2011, 12:01 AM
It's sad, but their build quality has really been on the downslope. You should have seen the EEE Pad Transformer. The unit was awesome in performance but the build quality was awful. I think they're trying to save money by nickle and diming themselves into the toilet. Real shame . . . :(

neville
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
It happened a month or so ago and again today the pin broke and is lodged in the end of the charger.

Jeeshman
10-20-2011, 02:59 AM
This happened to me, too. Thanks to whoever posted links to those L converters; I really hope they help because it's blatantly obvious the pin's going to break again and my warranty expires in November. :(

This thread NEEDS to be stickied!!! Pretty please.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Are these pins solid or hollow? I've never heard of big, beefy power pins like this breaking until now.

Are you people going to LAN Dance parties or what?

Jeeshman
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Are these pins solid or hollow? I've never heard of big, beefy power pins like this breaking until now.

Are you people going to LAN Dance parties or what?

LOL. No, I'm actually treating the laptop extremely gently. The problem is the power supply plug, which is extremely heavy and plugs straight into the side of the laptop. It's not an "L" or "elbow" connection; it's straight. Just by being plugged in, it puts a large amount of pressure on the charging pin (which is solid). I just got mine back from Asus yesterday, and if I nudge the plug it already moves the pin a bit. It seems so fragile that I've unplugged it and am not going to use the laptop until I get one of those "L adapters" in the mail. I'm hoping if I use the adapter and tape it in place so it can't move, it won't break the pin.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I guess it was sort of a bad idea to use a straignt connector . But, no matter how many break I wouldn't bet on Aaus using anything else unless it's by chance or if they get a better deal for adapters "L" connectors.

bigmedium
10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi guys.

Sadly enough this has happened to me now aswell. Problem is that Asus Nordic refuses to do this as a waranty issue, even though i have told them that Asus USA and Japan fixes this problem. I have also seen others with the same problem in Norway aswell, on the same model.

Strange thing is that the ping actually is stuck inside the charger, as it's melted stuck or something, i tried to remove it but is was completly stuck.
Hope they turn around in this matter, or i will have to take the matter further on. This has to be a production error, when so many people have this problem.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. Maybe if you PM Chastity she can do something for you.

Good luck! :-)

Chastity@ASUS
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi guys.

Sadly enough this has happened to me now aswell. Problem is that Asus Nordic refuses to do this as a waranty issue, even though i have told them that Asus USA and Japan fixes this problem. I have also seen others with the same problem in Norway aswell, on the same model.

Strange thing is that the ping actually is stuck inside the charger, as it's melted stuck or something, i tried to remove it but is was completly stuck.
Hope they turn around in this matter, or i will have to take the matter further on. This has to be a production error, when so many people have this problem.

The first time is usually fixed as a courtesy, tho technically it's classified as Customer Induced Damage. You could try and attempt their Customer Care group and see if they will fix it under warranty. If you have Accidental coverage, you can use that too.

bigmedium
10-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Chastity.

Thing is that i cant actually see why it's classified as Customer Induced Damage when it's clearly a defect on the manufacturing on the computer. The pin that was left in the carger even wouldn't come out again, it seems to be stuck somehow. Id it had just broken off from the computer ii should have been loose at least.

How do i know if i have the Accidental coverage? (computer is just 6 months old)

Btw, is there any place i can contact in other countries where they fix this problem? Probably gonna have to convince Asus Nordic about this problem.

Thanks for your help btw :)

DCV
10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
What a rip-off. As all of you, my pin just came loose last evening when unplugging.. amazing it took 7 months, because that 1 millimeter connection to the mainboard is not a very solid one ... A 3 year old kid could see that! How can it break when I only use it standing on table? This is definatly manufacturer or design error.
I thought Asus delivered good stuff, thats why I wasnt worried paying alot of money for this laptop .... I was so wrong...

It seems I'm the first user in The Netherlands, and I'm now fighting with Asus Holland to get it repaired without costs, as it's not a known error to them :(

JRd1st
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
They should read this forum, they'd know about it then! There's also a lot of reports of this issue over at NBR (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/)

Just curious, did the pin break or pull out of the assembly?

DCV
10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
As far as i can see, the surface of the tip seems to be pretty smooth and shiny, which I wouldn't expect on a broken surface, but it's hard to tell as its such a tiny surface..

-edit- All I know is that when I simply unplugged, it was stuck in the plug :)

-edit2- on NBR, user Kierra2 made a pretty good picture (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/527578-asus-g53jw-a1-3de-owners-lounge-81.html#post7308105) as how this problem looks :(

WhiteMatt
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
This happened to my lappy today as well.

And what makes this worse is that it happened 2 months into my 6 month deployment in Afghanistan -__-

bigmedium
10-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I have sent my computer to Infocare (norwegian service partner) to get it evaluated now, but all things seems to lead to Custommer induced Damage.

However we have a really good consumer regulation in Norway, so if they dont fix this in warranty we will deffinitly send a complaint for reclamation latent error.

I cant in my wildest imagination see how this is NOT a production error on their part? Specially when this happens more and more...

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I cant in my wildest imagination see how this is NOT a production error on their part? Specially when this happens more and more...

I'm becoming convinced that you're correct. I think they got some connectors with unreasonably brittle pins, somehow. There shouldn't be enough side to side play in those connectors for that kind of motion to break a normal quality pin in a lifetime. But if the pins are really brittle, then very small movements might cause fractures that are exascerbated by the normal connecting/disconnecting action.

Perhaps Asus should do some vibration testing on those pins...

I would fight them on this. Do you still have the broken pin? Use 2 pliers to see how easily it breaks.

DCV
10-28-2011, 06:22 PM
I've contacted a lawyer today, and as adviced, I've send an official letter to the shop that sold me this rip-off, to hold them responsible for selling me a bad product. They finally want to take at least a look at it, instead of hiding behind Asus repaircenter opinion.. But I'm not so keen on giving away legal evidence to them :S I'm glad Asus is so good, they can investigate problem through the telephone and decide its user error.

Secondly, I've tried getting in touch with Asus headquarters via the Escallation form on the international website ... and it got replied to by Asus Holland, to contact Asus Holland :(((

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/527578-asus-g53jw-a1-3de-owners-lounge-81.html#post7308105

That picture doesn't look like a broken pin, it looks like the pin pulled out of the assembly. Does yours look like that? Send Asus a link to that photo.

DCV
10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
It does (at least until i accidently pushed it in further), I did and they don't want to look at it...

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
It does (at least until i accidently pushed it in further), I did and they don't want to look at it...

Wow! Talk about sticking your head in the sand. :rolleyes:

DCV
10-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Here's a look of my plug and connector... Imagine that cone shaped of the other NBR picture, moved inside, and you can see clearly the tiny tip which should have been connected to the mainboard. On the mainboard connector you see the other end. There's hardly anything holding this 2,5mm plug, cone shaped to less then 1mm, steady... Now I'm not a notebook designer, but I would have never done it like this .... Neither would a 3 year old...

(and now my attempt to add images.. if it worked: YAY!)
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8554/g53insidepowerconnector.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2425/g53pininsideplug.jpg

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
You can see how thin the metal mount/connection is. It's almost as if it was designed to break away. :confused:

DCV
10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Lol yup, made to fail .. and failing to keep their customers... I mean, it would have worked, with the proper support on the thick part of the pin ... But there is none?!? Was it supposed to break after warranty? How can I get in touch with a proper Asus support technician, or maybe even the designer of this plug, instead of head in sand guys in Europe?

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Try gary_key@Asus.com but don't hold your breath.

You may be better off finding someone handy with a soldering iron and who also knows how to unsolder. Someplace either on this forum or on NBR (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/) there's a link to the replacement part.

DCV
10-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I'll try mailing him, it's worth a shot.

I have a degree in electronics, and therefor have done alot of soldering, unsoldering and even designing decent connectors that do keep functioning past expected life time ;) So I'm lucky to be in the position to fix it myself for less then 10 euro if needed. Too bad for the 15 months global warranty left, but that has showed off its true value.. As useless as my laptop currently is ;)

But unfortunately I'm a man with principles too. They sell me bad stuff, they can either do their best to find a solution, or I'll do everything a sane man can do to make them, even if it would cost more money then the repair itself, as this should not be the way companies should treat customers.

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
I agree with that sentiment, and I wish you luck.

therealedog
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I have the same problem, and support claims it's accidental damage. Time to hit all the review sites and discuss how poor ASUS warranty support is.

bigmedium
11-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Got my computer back from repair a few days ago, and they fixed it on warranty. But new problems have now risen after they changed the mainbord. Now the computer is just overall choppey, even when playing youtube....yey asus...

fuzon1337
11-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Got my computer back from repair a few days ago, and they fixed it on warranty. But new problems have now risen after they changed the mainbord. Now the computer is just overall choppey, even when playing youtube....yey asus...

Have you done a clean install after they repaired it? And also updated all your drivers (especially the atheros card!!)

bigmedium
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Yes did a clean install, working on updating drivers now.

Wonder why this problems occur, didnt have any problems before the repair...

fuzon1337
11-21-2011, 12:45 AM
New hardware can cause new problems, always a bummer. But you can try to download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run "register" and see if that program finds something that causing your problem.

Or

You can try: controlpanel -> System and security -> administrate tools -> show event logs
(to see if something is wrong, it would show up there)

bigmedium
11-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Could the new mainboard have a new BIOS version? And that creates some of the problems i see now?

Dont know what my old BIOS version was, but probably older.

Btw, after update of the atheros card it seems better for the moment

fuzon1337
11-21-2011, 01:01 AM
The Atheros Wifi card seems to do alot of bugs with your system, I've read in this forum, so let us hope that was causing your problem :)

Which notebook do you have? the same as listed on the thread name?

And if you want to check which BIOS verison you got you can download HWinfo32/64 from this New Drivers (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers) thread :)

Your new mainboard is probably with the new BIOS version, but it should not make new problems for you, it should do the opposite :P

bigmedium
11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Nopes still same problems, just took a few minutes to appear.

G53Jw.

Havent update the BIOS to the newest FW yet, but thats the next step. All logic says that if you have all the same components on a computer as before and nothing is changed, you should'nt have driver problems, at all.

Like they wasnt there before, on the old MB, but the new one got problems with all the same drivers and specs. So my only clue now is the BIOS FW, i cant think of anything else causing it?

fuzon1337
11-21-2011, 01:14 AM
If the BIOS version you got is not updated you could see if that fixes it, BIOS 211 says firmwareupdate, so perhaps it would fix it.
But, if you have tried everything to get it to work again I cannot think of any other reasons.

Perhaps other in this forum could help you out, if you still get the same issues after updating your BIOS.

Gatsby
12-12-2011, 06:36 AM
My pin just broke for the third time. I ordered mine through Xotic PC, and the last time I had it repaired they told me that ASUS was making the plug fit tighter, therefore making the pin less likely to break.

All they did was delay the inevitable apparently, because I am more careful with the plug every time this happens, and it still keeps happening!

My accidental warranty will be up by the time my pin breaks again, and I'm sure it will.

eskion
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I bought my G53JW back in April and had to send it in to replace the power pin. I like how the ASUS employee continues to state that it is customer induced damage.
My laptop sits on my desk unless I take it to work where it also sits on a desk. This will be the last ASUS non-motherboard product I purchase.

My laptop is currently going through another RMA for 6 dead fricking pixels, and a dead hard drive...also attached to this RMA is that my G53 is running extremely hot. Do I remember the temperature? No. I do remember that you can't touch either vent in the back without nearly burning your finger.

I can't believe I spent $1200 on a laptop that has more downtime than my Pentium D desktop...pathetic

edit--

I can't believe that someone from ASUS would have the audacity to say, you just spent $1200 on a laptop, now go buy a new power brick with an L adapter for $35, or just the adapter so you can use said laptop without worrying about the power pin breaking. WTF people...I bought an Acer 4 years ago for $500 and I didn't have to purchase any accessories to make sure it didn't give me problems...

TomicTrauma
12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
As recommended by Chastity@ASUS, I bought the right-angle adapter as soon as I received my G74SX-XT1 from TigerDirect. I have not experienced the problems seen by others (of course, I don't repeatedly disconnect the power that much). I ordered the adapter from BixNET (Merchant SKU is CNT-LC53 (Right Angle 90 Degree Converter for 5.5 x 2.5mm Connector - LC53) on Amazon Marketplace. It works for G73 series, too.

eskion
12-13-2011, 03:51 AM
I don't actually disconnect mine much either. I'm a stay at home dad and work weekends, but only take my laptop to work 1 or 2 times a month. Aside from that here is an update on my current RMA...
Just talked to tech support because there was no record of my RMA number when I checked on the web site. My hard drive is replaced so yay about that. However, they didn't do anything about the dead pixels in the LCD, and they didn't do anything about it running so hot. I know those things won't be checked now because it has already been shipped back. WTF...and by the way, I was just tole that I have over 2 years left on my warrenty, so why am I having to pay to ship my messed up $1200 paper weight to you guys everytime????

drizzy
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh great.. I just ordered an Asus G53JW-XA1. Looks like I'll be asking for a refund the first time it breaks.

tarmatt
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
This 90 connector on amazon, will it work on a broken one ?
The golden stick of my motherboard is broken. But will the computer take the charge anyway just with this adaptator ?

That is for the question.
Now if you want the story of the Global Warranty...

I am fighting with Asus Denmark. They are of course not considering the warranty and keep on answering like bots do...
I live in Iceland and bought the computer online in France.
No Asus backup in Iceland.
I first called England, declared the problem and been told that it was under warranty (nice). They also told me that they were'nt dealing with Iceland. They told me to call Ireland.
I called Ireland. They told me to call Denmark.
I went on duty, came back home when the warranty period was done. But the problem was already declared in the warranty period.
I called France. They told me it wasn't anymore under warranty. I told them that I declared the problem in England so they could check the SN. They told me they could'nt do that...
I sent a warranty message via Asus VIP club.
Daniel told me that the problem wasn't under warranty.
I told him it was.
He replied it wasn't.
So I finally called Denmark.
I had a cool girl on the phone. She told me that I declared the problem the 28th of september in England so the problem i was declared during the warranty period (This was cool). She also told me that she would ask to her +1 if they could do something and then she would send an email...
Never heard of her anymore.
So I called back.
I had Olaf on the phone. He told me that the computer was under warranty (awsome !) and that he will send me via email all the informations I need to send it.
Never heard anymore about Olaf...
So I called back.
I was told there that the problem is under warranty (i am starting to know that) but Iceland is out of the warranty.
I asked for a disclaimer of that warranty where I could see that Iceland is excluded. He said a level 2 agent will contact me about it.
Two days later, I received a mail from Patrick, level 2 agent I guess, saying that the problem wasn't under warranty and that:

"AS THE PROBLEM WITH THE COMPUTER IS PHYSICAL, THE WARRANTY WILL PROBABLY NOT COVER THE REPAIR."

I laughed, I sent a mail on fire to the dual level 2 bots Patrick and Daniel, and then I came here to cry with you guys...

dstrakele
01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
That is one sad tale of Customer (Dis)Service...

Dyskresiac
01-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Just a warning for people looking at the Bixmart 90' Angle connectors. They break easily. (Better it be a $7 part than a $100 repair, though.)

The male end of the connector is held in place ONLY by the rubber that surrounds it. It is not held in place by any means of solder, or fitting. Nothing. So if your now twirling power connector is bent the wrong way, it could potentially loosen the rubber, and thus the contact between the male end of the connector with the female base. You may notice that it only works when laying in a certain direction- that's your first sign.

On that note, Bixmart has been FULLY cooperative and is willing to issue replacement for my bent connectors, but I need to pay to ship them to Bixmart. >.> Better than nothing, I guess. It's amazing how much running ASUS has made us do, all to save $.05 or less per unit.

Mr. Hall
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Just Happend to me today for the second time .... sucks cus i really like how asus performs, but this power pin is very defective
and i do digital art and gaming 5-6 hours a day, such a frigin pain in the arse, i dont think my next laptop will be asus probably go viao or something

tarmatt
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Is the 90 connector a direct solution or should the computer be repaired first ?

dstrakele
01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
The 90 connector is only a preventative measure. It reduces the side-to-side pressure on the connecting pin.

nofun
01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Just came here to add my name to the list of people this has happened to. Haven't even contacted Asus yet, but fortunately this laptop is still under warranty.

This isn't my first issue with this machine, and I'm rather disappointed.

jkarchner
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Add me to the list as well.

Mine broke last night. I noticed my battery running low even though the laptop was plugged in. When i unplugged the power cord from the laptop, the connector pin was stuck inside the connector on the power cord.

With so many people having issues with this, I find it very to hard to believe it is not a manufacturing defect. If it did not void the warranty, I would look at replacing the connector myself. The part is only a few dollars and I'm sure I would be able to handle the solder portion.

BrodyBoy
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
With so many people having issues with this, I find it very to hard to believe it is not a manufacturing defect.
Or a design defect. Either way, I agree.....with so many occurrences, there's clearly something wrong. Given the warranty concern, perhaps you could see whether some local shop is authorized and can do the quick solder job...?

jkarchner
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Or a design defect. Either way, I agree.....with so many occurrences, there's clearly something wrong. Given the warranty concern, perhaps you could see whether some local shop is authorized and can do the quick solder job...?

I can try contacting support again to see if there is a local shop which is authorized to perform repairs. After performing a quick Google search, I could not locate any information regarding a local repair shop. It seems this would be much quicker than sending out the laptop and waiting for repairs. It should also be much cheaper.

houndazs
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Its too bad so many are having this problem. If anyone is in the San Antonio, TX area ill fix your laptop for you on the house! Just send me a PM. Its a very easy fix!

jkarchner
02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Its too bad so many are having this problem. If anyone is in the San Antonio, TX area ill fix your laptop for you on the house! Just send me a PM. Its a very easy fix!

If you ever do get a chance to fix one, you should record how you fixed it and post the video.
It may give people a more realistic look at exactly how easy it is and encourage others to make the fix themselves (if they have the experience to perform the soldering)

houndazs
02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
If you ever do get a chance to fix one, you should record how you fixed it and post the video.
It may give people a more realistic look at exactly how easy it is and encourage others to make the fix themselves (if they have the experience to perform the soldering)great idea will do!

Until then for those of you that feel comfortable with a soldering iron, and disassembly of their laptop, these two links will help you to fix the dc jack! I have also posted a link to a place in the US where you can buy the jack.

How to take the ASUS G Series apart: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html

How to repair a DC Power Jack:http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

Where to buy replacement Power Jack:http://www.amazon.com/Power-Jack-Plug-Laptops-Notebooks/dp/B005EM8JH0

Cavallari
02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I've also just gotten hit with this on my G53SW. Worse, apparently my registration for ADP didn't go through (I have no idea what happened there). I opened an RMA request but I've been warned that this could be considered accidental damage.

The plug hasn't been under any stress, and this is a hugely common enough problem that I doubt they'll determine it's accidental, but I'm hoping that it'll work out ok based on what I'm seeing here. It's some reassurance, anyway. :)

Additionally, since this seems to be specific to this power jack... Has the experience been a new motherboard, or soldering a new jack to the motherboard? I'm concerned that if it's the motherboard, it'll end up breaking again. And if I take it to a certified Asus tech who can just solder on a new one that perhaps doesn't SUCK, would that void my warranty? Thanks!

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 01:50 AM
I've also just gotten hit with this on my G53SW. Worse, apparently my registration for ADP didn't go through (I have no idea what happened there). I opened an RMA request but I've been warned that this could be considered accidental damage.

The plug hasn't been under any stress, and this is a hugely common enough problem that I doubt they'll determine it's accidental, but I'm hoping that it'll work out ok based on what I'm seeing here. It's some reassurance, anyway. :)

Additionally, since this seems to be specific to this power jack... Has the experience been a new motherboard, or soldering a new jack to the motherboard? I'm concerned that if it's the motherboard, it'll end up breaking again. And if I take it to a certified Asus tech who can just solder on a new one that perhaps doesn't SUCK, would that void my warranty? Thanks!
Don't let them get away with that "accidental damage" crap. This is clearly a common problem....I would call it a hardware defect.....in the G53. You can cite many cases posted on this forum and on NBR.

I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect they just replace the motherboard. I don't think this is a solder problem (which would ultimately come down to manufacturing protocols and QC) because loose jacks manifest differently....I've had that issue on other laptops. In the G53, it's specifically the jack itself....the pin isn't strong enough to withstand normal use. I think there must just be some bad ones getting installed.

hrmchan
02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
WOW - I didn't look at the PIN, but my power adapter stopped charging the laptop. The adapter was working fine and the green light was on, but the laptop wouldn't charge, so I thought it was the port. But could have been the PIN now that I think of it.

I just got it back from Asus in Milipitas. They PAID for shipping both ways, though I had to pack it up myself. Would have been great if they sent a shipper package, like the one they returned it in ... but I am satisfied. It took about week round trip, really pretty fast ... considering.

My G73SW was only a few months OLD and was table mounded most of the time so there wasn't a lot of mobility to blame physical handling on. So, that points to design or just poor quality ... if this is a popular problem as this thread suggests. Any way ... I'm glad I got this puppy BACK !

jkarchner
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Good news!

My laptop (G53) returned from Asus on Friday last week. It was at the Milipitas location. Took exactly 8 days from when I shipped out to when I received.

Highlights:
- The repair was covered under warranty
- Laptop was sent back using Fedex Saver and was received 2 days after shipping, Asus covered this cost. Asus also used their own shipping materials when the laptop was sent back.
- Shipping to Asus was paid by me.
- Asus did not provide shipping materials or shipping labels

All-in-all, I was not concerned with having to provide my own shipping material. My larger concern was having to cover the cost of repairs, luckily Asus placed it under the warranty (1-year standard).

If there is any additional information anyone needs, please let me know.

Good Luck to all of those experience a similar issue! I hope everything works out as it did for me.

BrodyBoy
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
@jkarchner: That's great news! I'm glad to hear of the fast turnaround....I know that's always a big concern when owners have to RMA their machines, so that should put a few minds at ease. :)

But you shouldn't consider yourself lucky that they covered the repair under warranty. The G53 power jacks are clearly defective.....if Asus REALLY wants to step up, they'd immediately offer prepaid shipping materials to any G53 owner who contacts them for this repair. 2-day each way. Prepaid. And how about a sincere apology for your inconvenience.....

Phate18
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
The same thing happened to my G53-SX a week ago, just got it back from RMA an hour ago.

This seems to quite a common issue, I agree that the pin is FAR too thin on the inside.

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
This seems to quite a common issue, I agree that the pin is FAR too thin on the inside.
Is that the problem....that the pin is actually skinnier than most? (I don't have a G53, so I haven't looked in there.....)

dstrakele
02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
There was a photo of the connector pin in one of these threads (or on the Notebook Review Forum). I believe it shows the diameter of the pin is ~2.5 mm where it fits into the adapter plug, but it shrinks to ~1mm before it gets to the motherboard. To me, it looked like an absolutely ridiculous design...

EDIT: Here's the link to the picture of the broken connector inside the power adapter plug from this very thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=38857&viewfull=1#post38857 That is how I would design the pin FOR break-away functionality....

zastotako
02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
So is it under warranty or not? I got it fixed under warranty here in Serbia. After 1.5 month :)

dstrakele
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
That IS the question. From what I've read, most users are getting it covered under warranty. That doesn't mean they don't have to fight with the ASUS Service Center over the issue.

And it is important to remember - the repaired units have the same power pin connector as the one that broke. Best to get the right-angle adapter and be very careful.

QuantumButterfly
03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
This is still a problem, five days ago the pin from my adapter port broke off.

I have an ASUS G53SW-XR1 from xoticPC, purchased five months ago. It's being fixed under warranty; I asked them about changing the type of port, and they told me:

"I know when the problems with this port first started, they only had parts to replace with a similar port . At this time, they have a better port to replaced it with which is better than the old ports that have the problem."

We'll see if they're true to their word. I hope so. It's a shame, I really like this line of laptops, they're great except for the defective port.

laameeba
03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Another G53JW
The pin had wroked 5 days ago. I sent the laptop this morning to the RMA. (Im from Spain and our RMA is in Portugal) They have accept the problem in garanty, by the moment. I know that they cans change them mind when they recieve, but I know thats a very common problem, too common problem, and I spects no problems.

Sorry for my horrible english. I add a picture for the collection.

Xjeff
04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
This literally just happened to me, right before I was going to finish a paper due tomorrow on it.

If I send it in will I lose any data currently on my computer?
Will this be fixed so that it doesn't happen in the future?

I'm freaking out man...

BrodyBoy
04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
You should either back up all your data, or remove your hard drive(s). Even though it's not needed for this repair, there's always a risk that Asus will do a factory restore. I wish I could say that they'll fix it for good, but I don;t think there's any guarantee that it can't break again.

dstrakele
04-02-2012, 11:39 PM
This literally just happened to me, right before I was going to finish a paper due tomorrow on it.

I'm freaking out man...

You'll need to get the file for your paper off the system and finish it up on a computer lab or friend's system. It won't be repaired by tomorrow.

They don't need to do an ASUS Factory Restore to fix this issue, but you can't be sure it won't happen by accident. Best to backup all important files. They will need a hard drive in the system to test the repaired laptop. If you have a dual drive system and your files are stored on a data drive, by all means, just remove it and send it out with just the OS drive.

Get a right-angle adapter to relieve pressure on the power pin to hopefully prevent a recurrence of this issue.

jerry kulleh
04-03-2012, 01:32 AM
is this problem happen to G53SX too??..seem like hard to avoid the problem..why must power connector?

BrodyBoy
04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
is this problem happen to G53SX too??..seem like hard to avoid the problem..why must power connector?
The G53s seem to be particularly vulnerable.

I've seen other laptops that have an especially weak power jack attachment, i.e., the whole jack works loose from the M/B over time. But this particular problem, where the pin breaks off inside the jack, seems to occur mostly in the G53s. (Personally, I think the assembling factory just sourced bad hardware).

If Asus repairs broken units with the exact same power jack hardware, the new one will be similarly vulnerable. Unfortunately, I don't think a right-angle adapter will help all that much with this specific issue. Those adapters can help prevent torque on the whole jack, thereby avoiding stress on the jack/motherboard solder connection and the kind of failure I mentioned earlier.

But this broken pin problem is different.....I suspect that inserting & removing the power plug may be the action that most stresses the weak pin. Aside from actually replacing the power jack with a better one, G53 owners might best prevent this issue by avoiding lateral stress on the jack, but also avoiding plugging & unplugging the power cord any more than necessary.

quiroga
04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Happened to me. It wasn't under warranty since they said that it evidently physical damaged caused by me. Had to pay 100sgd (about 80usd). Had no choice but to pay them or I can't use my laptop. BTW, I bought a right angle converter. Works pretty good.

jt128
04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
I had this problem and rather than send it to Asus and wait for a month I replaced the dc jack myself. What a PITA. Anyways, I started having problems with the replacement shortly thereafter. This dc jack is terrible, and it costed me like $20 with shipping. I decided to fix it permanently with a different jack.

Before:

After:

I actually just used a 2.5/5.5mm (same size as stock) panel mount dc jack from Parts Express; it costs about $2. It's as simple as drilling a hole in the side and soldering some wires (see the red and black wires) to the motherboard. And you can use the stock connector from the AC adapter.

I'll give this some time but so far it seems very robust. It's much better than stock. Anyways, I'll probably end up replacing this and the connector with industrial connectors/jack from Lemo or ODU. They make indestructible industrial connectors. I'll post future progress here.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Nice job, JT128.

kimiraikkonen
04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi jt128,
Where did you order this piece / adapter from? Could you post the link if i can buy it online? I have G53JW, too, didn't bash and played a lot with the port too much due to reports like yours but i'm concerning a lot for the future. I still can't understand how Asus allowed to let this really "silly" problem remain on a monster RoG notebook! What a pity!

It's a "bit" like having a poorly manufactured BMW with a broken fuel tank.

jt128
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi jt128,
Where did you order this piece / adapter from? Could you post the link if i can buy it online? I have G53JW, too, didn't bash and played a lot with the port too much due to reports like yours but i'm concerning a lot for the future. I still can't understand how Asus allowed to let this really "silly" problem remain on a monster RoG notebook! What a pity!

It's a "bit" like having a poorly manufactured BMW with a broken fuel tank.

Here is the jack I used:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-479

To make it fit the leads need bent. And I actually cut the earth ground tag off (it was in the way and isn't used anyways).

Now I need to find a black washer and nut to clean up the look a bit.

thcst8
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I had to RMA my G53sx for the same issue in this thread.

I hate that my laptop has such a simple flaw that renders the laptop useless.

I asked the Asus rep to pay for the shipping. I didn't feel like something that was at the fault of Asus I should have to pay for.

He told me I have a 1 time only free shipping so I used that. If they tell you have to pay shipping. Ask them send you a prepaid return shipping sticker. It worked for me.

btk131
05-19-2012, 10:57 PM
My adapter pin has broken for the fourth time since I purchased it in March 2011. My Asus warranty expired two months ago. I even bought an L adapter, which did extend the adapter pin's life by several months.

I'm really mad about buying a $1200 lemon. Did Asus ever come up with a long-term solution to fix this ongoing problem?

giaconep
05-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I just had the same problem and guess what?
ASUS Brazil told that they cant help me, and that i should go to a technical assistance of my trust and pay for the job myself...
I cant believe that i paid for a "global" warranty (which is built-in in the final price) so i could take my PC back to Brazil and enjoy the "pc of my dreams"...
I thought u guys were better than this... I just feel sorry for all my friends that asked me to help them to pick up a notebook in the internet and I foolish recommend them to buy one of your products...
You have to at least make sure that your company can do something in the seventh economy in the world before saying that you offer a "global" warranty...
I'll never recommend our buy a notebook from ASUS again, i feel stupid now with my ASUS backpack...
and I hope you guys do something about your service in Brazil... I can't understand why are you guys spending money in a useless business unit in here... is like using a broken refrigerator to store food, it sucks, smells bad and you are still paying the all bills!

And if you are thinking about getting a G53 and you were smart the enough to do some research on the internet, think twice my friend...

jt128
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
The reason why people have warranty problems in Brazil is the ridiculous import/export regulations there. Blame the government. Many companies totally exclude Brazil on warranties because of this.

My company once had to fly someone down there and pay a ransom to get an expensive instrument through customs for warranty repair. It's ridiculous.

BTW, it really is easy to fix this on your own. My fix earlier in this thread has worked great. It's much more robust, and it was a very easy fix. Don't be too intimidated to take your PC apart. Just look up some youtube videos and keep the screws organized. After that you can easily drill a hole and solder some wires. With a little bit of soldering practice anyone can do this. Trust me it's worth it!

Housewitz
05-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I want everyone who had gotten out of this warranty, write me a memo to me because I have big problems getting this injury on the warranty.

I want to know how you started and how it ended with mails, phonecalls and so on.

Would be grateful if you could send me an email over a print sreen of all the mail you got from ASUS were it says that the damage can get out of warranty.

All my dealer is saying is that I have caused the damage / problem and could NOT get it out of warranty.

Please help me I am helpless against them and it requires me to 370 to repair the damage / problem.

It would be helpful if you all my friends here could help me with this case.

Thanks in advance.

tarmatt
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I finally fixed mine with some qualified friends.
I ordered a new part on amazon (easy to find). It is not as easy to change it as some people here are saying (but I am not really qualified in it).

This problem IS UNDER WARRANTY
The real problem is to know if you can use this warranty depending on where you live.

I live in Iceland and Asus told me they could'nt do anything. I asked for a proof claiming that Iceland was out the warranty and they could'nt provide me any proof.
So I guess they are lying. As they are lying when they tell you that it is not under warranty.

Tired after fighting for 6 months against people with no will to help (Asus Denmark : thank you for nothing guys, you are all really useless), I can claim that I will never buy Asus anymore and I will do the worst advertising I can against this company.

:mad:

Apok
06-04-2012, 02:34 AM
I just experienced this about an hour ago. My laptop was plugged in and I was working on a graphic design project for a client when I got the low battery warning. Now I have to explain to my client who goes out of town later this week why I won't be able to complete this project for him before the deadline. Also won't be able to start my other project which I just got the go on a few hours ago. Super frustrating. It looks like the part that broke off was a lot thinner than the rest of the pin.

Also did not back up any work from this weekend nor do I have another computer that can run Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Posting from my Ubuntu netbook. Looks like I'm going to have a fun time paying the bills this month.

Gorman
06-04-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't know why ASUS isn't offering full refunds or a recall on this fault, "ASUS warrants that the product is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use during the Product Warranty Period." Clearly they shipped a faulty product...

@Apok: the worst part is that most people experience multiple failures from this problem, so from now on you have to work under the assumption that your computer could fail at any time. Plus the repair center usually takes a few weeks to fix this fault... Good luck paying the bills!

dstrakele
06-04-2012, 05:27 AM
@Apok - you should be able to pull the 2.5" HDD from the G53 and install it into another computer, even a more powerful desktop system of a friend or coworker.

n3tninja
06-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Seriously, are there any g53 users that HAVE NOT had this problem for at least a year of owning the laptop ?

Gorman
06-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Apparently it's not that ASUS doesn't want to help, it's just that they are ignorant of the problem...
"It's not a widespread problem or it would have prompted a recall given the cost to us" - MarshallR@ASUS
"Sounds like a very rare problem" - ASUS support hotline
"Please speak to your place of purchase about a refund." - ASUS member center/escalation mailbox
"As mentioned, this was not a defect that was noted to us ... so we don't offer a refund" - Retailer
"This is a very common problem, almost all G53's have this problem" - ASUS repair shop

Whoops, I guess that last one is a bad example huh. Well I guess those are the only people who won't profit from pretending there isn't a problem...

Well let's all help out ASUS by informing Marshall/calling the hotline/escalation mailbox of this problem. I'm sure if they had the info then they would definitely help us out!

[/optimism]

n3tninja
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I just want them to replace that defect power pin design with a new durable one. Thats all, is that something too much of a task for ASUS to do ???

n3tninja
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
And its not like they have to make like BILLIONs of them....

xcept10n
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi, I live in India , I got this Asus G53 JW from US through a cousin. I bought it around 10 months back.. treated it like a baby and suddenly today the DC Pin broke ad came into the power cord connector. I was shocked after a few mins of realization and googled for the issue and here I am registered and posting this here. I called Asus India Support and they said me to contact a third party repair shop which i guess asus had deal with in India. I called this 3rd party Neoteric Informatics and they say its not under warranty and we have to change the motherboard?? I was lyk wtf i have seen the ROG forums and almost many have this problem...they said they havet heard of such problem before.

I called back to asus support and they said you first take ur piece to Neoteric and get it analyzed..they take snapshots and send for reasearch and decide if its under warranty or not..

I am taking my Lappy rightnow and hope this goes well otherwise my studies will be drastically interrupted..!!

Please show some support ASUS!!

n3tninja
06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear that you're facing this issue, I'm pretty sure India could be really enduring if you need to get to service centres. Please take some page screenshots of the forum and other info related to this issue to show them at the service centre. Also, contact Chastity@Asus, he might be able to help you from there.

This problem is SUPPOSED to be under warranty and if I'm not mistaken, and please check your warranty duration [ HAVE THE RECIEPT PLEASE ].
Its pretty unfortunate that only the g53 series of the laptops are facing this issue.

Gorman
06-07-2012, 04:37 AM
ASUS tell me that the reseller is responsible for refunds, the reseller tells me ASUS is responsible for refunds...

cairde
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Add me to the list, getting my third RMA as we speak. power pin just broke.

Before this i have also had problems with the touchpanel, or what ever it is called, ON-button didn't work. And then the charger started acting up.

I also noticed that the mic is very poor. People can hardly hear what i am saying. Regardless of language so it is not my english pronounciation. And i get weird graphic defects and graphics related crashes when i play games. Not so nice feature on a gaming computer for which i paid 11 500 SEK ($1700).

Yes, stuff is expensive in sweden but on the other hand we got good consumer protection. If this happen again i might even get my money back.

As of now i am advicing all my friends and aquintences not to buy ASUS stuff. Already got one of them to return her newly bought computer.

HumanMineral
06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Seriously, are there any g53 users that HAVE NOT had this problem for at least a year of owning the laptop ?

I've had my G53JW since January of 2011 and I have not experienced this problem. I take my laptop to work and home everyday and often move it regularly throughout the day. I consider myself extremely lucky that it hasn't happened to me yet; I hope this post does not jinx me.

I have noticed over the last couple weeks however that the connection between pin and adapter is finicky. I have to "play with it" considerably to find a "good" connection that will allow the box to charge. Is this an omen or warning sign that my pin is about to break or a different problem all together? Has anyone else experienced this with their G53JW?

I called ASUS support and they said if might be covered under warranty but that I would have to send it in first for them to determine. Sounded fishy to me. I told them I would hang onto my box for awhile while I did some research. I found this thread after a little bit of research. Thank you all for sharing your problem and especially your solutions with the interwebotubiblogosphere.

n3tninja
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Btw, do you have a washer with your charging jack ? When I went to replace my asus charger, he gave me a washer with it. He said "It will help reducing stress on the pin".

Maxlewis92
07-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Well, I bought my G53sw for college, work, and home.

My power jack just broke for a 3rd (or was it fourth... I don't even remember) time.
I have 8 days left on warranty. Let's see if they fix it. I bought hardware that I can only use on my G53, I have all of my work on here (both school and job), and I was just given two more jobs to do ad designs for earlier today, with the intention of making a good chunk of change tonight.

I've RMA'd this thing so many times in the last year, I just kept my box and packaging.

HumanMineral
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Btw, do you have a washer with your charging jack ? When I went to replace my asus charger, he gave me a washer with it. He said "It will help reducing stress on the pin".

Any idea where I can get one of those washers? Is it just a normal rubber washer with the proper diameter that can be picked up from any DIY store?

inZombiac
07-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Well I've had my g53 for about 5months now and the power port has just gone for the second time....

First time was after only 2months and the eBay store I bought it from decided they would just ignore me.
So I replaced it myself and everything was good until last week when it stopped working again, this time without breaking the pin off tho.

I just assumed it was the power port again and ordered another. But this time when I went to replace it, one of the pins off it (the one that isn't soldered in) has decided to burn up a little part of the board.

I cleaned it up and replaced it anyway, hoping it might somehow still work with a new power port, but I get nothing.

so now I'm stuck with all my stuff on this laptop and no idea if it can actually be fixed.

n3tninja
07-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Any idea where I can get one of those washers? Is it just a normal rubber washer with the proper diameter that can be picked up from any DIY store?

Yup. You can use a rubber one or plastic one. The guy gave me a plastic one I think.

n3tninja
07-04-2012, 07:30 AM
BTW can some1 please let me know if the DC pins used on the mobo of th G53 is the same used on G73 or G74 ?

HumanMineral
07-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, it just happened to me. I bought an "L" adapter as suggested and the things became so hot on first use that the plastic melted to the pin and when the adapter was removed the pin came out. So I'm sending it to CA to get fixed.

On a side note, anyone who is looking for the washers, I found them at Lowe's (or any DIY store). You want rubber washers 3/16 x 1/2 x 1/16. Stack if necessary. This $0.92 solution would have kept this from happening.

n3tninja
07-04-2012, 07:03 PM
So I think it's safe to say that the Chargers are what is causing the pins to break.

From my view, I guess the plastic melts and causes a latch to the thinner part of the pin, and when you pull it out, the pin gets caught in the latch and comes out aswell.

Maybe you should get another charger that the newer models use perhaps ?

n3tninja
07-08-2012, 11:55 PM
BTW I just stumbled upon this, if this is true, then its a breath of relief for other G53 users.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/570676-asus-g53sw-owners-lounge-197.html#post8600469

Apparently, this person got another stronger variation of the DC pin and its hexagonal in some way.

TommyK
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I fixed the broken pin in just 5 min. (use at own risk):

1) disconnect the Power cord from the mains.

2) use a pinsett or a smal screwdriver to remove the broken pin from the socket.

3) put some tiny fragment of soldering pasta into the socket.

4) put the broken pin back into the socket, so it stands out just a littlebit.

5) start up your computer

6) stay away from asus (and their stupid image verification) the next time you buy a computer.

Mvh
TK

Carson
08-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Happened just like the rest of you. I've had my laptop since March 14th, 2011 and never experienced any real problems with it. The DC Jack would spark when I plugged the charger in, but that's about it. Anyways, about two weeks ago my power pin was pulled out by the charger. I do tech support full-time for my college, but I've never soldered anything and I still had a warranty on the laptop so I sent it in to ASUS. They just told me that they put a hold on the repair due to liquid damage. Now like I said, I had never experienced any problems with my computer and this is definitely not a problem that could be caused by liquid damage. ASUS told me I had to pay $20 for a new keyboard, $76 for a new motherboard, and $65 for labor. I called back to contest their reply and was told I would be contacted by management within 24-48 hours.

I do tech support for 11,000+ students at my college. When students ask me for computer recommendations, ASUS is always at the top of my list. But, that's going to have to change. I do not appreciate a design flaw being passed off as User Induced Damage. I took excellent care of my laptop. The "liquid damage" was from one of my study partners knocking his glass of water onto my laptop while it was already turned off. I left my computer off for 24 hours and never experienced any problems with it. That happened well over a year ago.

In my opinion, people who purchased this laptop should be compensated with a newer model that does not have the same faulty pin design. ASUS should take responsibility for building a laptop with such an obvious design flaw.

After seeing how many people have already had this issue covered under warranty, I'm especially put off that ASUS is still trying to dodge the issue. I'm also interested in why they think I would be willing to pay money to have them give me the same faulty product. I'll try to get back to this forum with how my conversation with management goes.

Gorman
08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Yup, if liquid touches the power pin it breaks off, ASUS support is right.

-________-

ASUS support will give you a replacement - but only of the same model. They are really just making more work for themselves... But how else can they get rid of this faulty stock of laptops...

I like when Marshal say RoG are generous for giving people washers to try and fix the problem... It's not generous to purposefully ship a laptop that will break every few months.

Welcome to RoG.

Carson
08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, it appeared to go well. I talked to the same lady who sent me the email so that was nice. I explained that my issue could not have been caused by water damage and she seemed very understanding. She sounded cute too. :o Glad I called.

"I'll see if they can replace only the DC Jack instead of the whole motherboard, and we'll look at the AC adapter too since that is still covered under warranty."

I feel a lot better now. Except, I learned that I had a "1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge" on my laptop as well as the 2 year parts/labor warranty. I had no idea. If I had known that, I would have sent it in when I tripped the liquid damage sensors just to be safe. I am still a bit on edge about them trying to sell me a new keyboard, but I'll just be happy if/when I get a working laptop back.

Gorman
08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
If they replace only the pin it is near 100% chance of failing again.

They have to replace the mobo to have any chance of fixing the issue. Tell them to stop screwing around and fix it already >_>

brecker
08-11-2012, 07:04 PM
that little part of the board you mentioned is probably a diode... could you take a high res picture and upload it?

basically what it does is force the current to go in one direction... if it is broken the current doesn't go threw... so your notebook won't work...

if it is a diode that burned the good news is that it is repleasable and it should cost you somewhere between .10 usd and 5 (really depends on where you get it from and which country you are at...)

the bad news is that to replace it you will have to unsolder the old one and resolder the new one to the board, and usually this pieces are arround 5 x 2.5 mm... so it is no job for beginners in soldering...

i think it is a diode because usually manufacturers put one in the board to protect all the other components... so if there is some sort of power spike or inverse current, the diode burns and the irregularity doesn't reach the other components... now if the part you are talking about it got burned by a loose pin, it might be something else...

so, high res pic please

Well I've had my g53 for about 5months now and the power port has just gone for the second time....

First time was after only 2months and the eBay store I bought it from decided they would just ignore me.
So I replaced it myself and everything was good until last week when it stopped working again, this time without breaking the pin off tho.

I just assumed it was the power port again and ordered another. But this time when I went to replace it, one of the pins off it (the one that isn't soldered in) has decided to burn up a little part of the board.

I cleaned it up and replaced it anyway, hoping it might somehow still work with a new power port, but I get nothing.

so now I'm stuck with all my stuff on this laptop and no idea if it can actually be fixed.

Bigcat27
08-16-2012, 06:11 AM
My connector on my asus laptop just broke and it sounds like a design flaw. i have already sent my asus back for repair of a defective screen and mouse button, now have to send back to fix this plug. It sounds like they should be sued by all those affected, as it seems to be the only way to get these big company's attention.

Carson
08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
I got my laptop back today and everything seems to be working fine. Let's see how long this lasts. :P

Zygomorphic
08-17-2012, 12:52 AM
My connector on my asus laptop just broke and it sounds like a design flaw. i have already sent my asus back for repair of a defective screen and mouse button, now have to send back to fix this plug. It sounds like they should be sued by all those affected, as it seems to be the only way to get these big company's attention.

Before things get out of hand, let us look at the number of computers that ASUS ships. While I do not deny that a sizable minority of G53JW users have this problem, my G53SX is working perfectly after 1 year of use. ASUS does fix their computers, so they are upholding your warranty. I do feel bad that you had to get the bad apple, but they exist in every manufacturer's line-up.

Gorman
08-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Before things get out of hand, let us look at the number of computers that ASUS ships. While I do not deny that a sizable minority of G53JW users have this problem, my G53SX is working perfectly after 1 year of use. ASUS does fix their computers, so they are upholding your warranty. I do feel bad that you had to get the bad apple, but they exist in every manufacturer's line-up.
"ASUS warrants that the product is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use during the Product Warranty Period."

They dun goofed.

I don't think you can brush this off as "just a few people". This thread alone has 170 posts. How many people in other threads our outside the forum are having the same issue?

This is a way bigger proportion than any "just a bad apple" situation.

Considering the way ASUS behave, class action is probably a good idea. Start writing up a list of people BigCat.

Zygomorphic
08-17-2012, 10:23 AM
How many people are getting their warranty repairs rejected? That would be my question. It seems like the ASUS admins are dealing with it.

Carson
08-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I agree that this product has a defect, but I do not agree with the notion to sue ASUS. There are two computer companies I trust in today's market. ASUS and MSI. I trust them to build good products. I trust them to provide adequate support when necessary. Now, if you want to start filing a law suit against Acer for using recycled parts or HP for building laptops that are literally time-bombs waiting to fail (or pushing updates to fingerprint scanning software that prevent users from being able to log in to their computer) then I am right behind you.

The point of this thread is to make the issue known to both ASUS and end-users. "Hey, this problem exists. Fix it under warranty" or "Hey, you're not alone. ASUS will fix it under warranty." And this thread has been effective in doing that. (at least in cases where ASUS knew that the end-user knew it was a known issue.)

Best case scenario: You file a law suit and it doesn't go through.
Worst case scenario: You file a law suit, it goes through, ASUS goes bankrupt, MSI monopolizes the gaming laptop industry (because Alienware just doesn't count), and then gaming laptops go up to about $3,000.

Zygomorphic
08-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Bingo! @Carson, +1 rep for thinking about the long-term results of a law-suit. If people sue, the price of ASUS computers goes up - and everyone looses. ASUS has been fixing these computers, so I would doubt that the lawsuit could be successfully won.

Gorman
08-18-2012, 07:31 AM
I agree that this product has a defect, but I do not agree with the notion to sue ASUS. There are two computer companies I trust in today's market. ASUS and MSI. I trust them to build good products. I trust them to provide adequate support when necessary. Now, if you want to start filing a law suit against Acer for using recycled parts or HP for building laptops that are literally time-bombs waiting to fail (or pushing updates to fingerprint scanning software that prevent users from being able to log in to their computer) then I am right behind you.

The point of this thread is to make the issue known to both ASUS and end-users. "Hey, this problem exists. Fix it under warranty" or "Hey, you're not alone. ASUS will fix it under warranty." And this thread has been effective in doing that. (at least in cases where ASUS knew that the end-user knew it was a known issue.)

Best case scenario: You file a law suit and it doesn't go through.
Worst case scenario: You file a law suit, it goes through, ASUS goes bankrupt, MSI monopolizes the gaming laptop industry (because Alienware just doesn't count), and then gaming laptops go up to about $3,000.

Yup, ASUS will go bankrupt by having to fix the faulty laptops they sold, that explains why they have such a terrible support department, apparently they can't afford it!

Who cares about MSI or HP or Acer? We are discussing ASUS here. If you want to talk about ticking time bombs then talk about G53's that fail every 3 months. I can't use my laptop seriously because it literally is a ticking time bomb waiting to fail.

The problem is that ASUS shipped a ton of faulty laptops, the solution is to refund or replace. All they want to do is resolder the pin or give us another of the same model (after it fails 3 times!). This is completely unacceptable.

Yeah man, MSI are the only gaming laptop makers, complete slippery slope logical fallacy. ASUS will not go bankrupt from honoring their warranty.

Bingo! @Carson, +1 rep for thinking about the long-term results of a law-suit. If people sue, the price of ASUS computers goes up - and everyone looses. ASUS has been fixing these computers, so I would doubt that the lawsuit could be successfully won.
ASUS has been doing quick and dirty fixes that will just fail later down the line, and they sold all these faulty boxes without a care.

Tell you what, if someone wants to pay up the 2-3 thousand dollars to each of us G53 owners so we can get a non-timebomb computer, then we wouldn't even have to consider this.

You are asking all G53 owners to just deal with having piece of **** boxes and horrible support because it will save you a few bucks next time you upgrade.

OlliePOP95
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Same thing happened to me, less than a month after I purchased it, in the middle of my HSC. Mine is under warranty, but I am paying for it to get fixed by a computer technician purely because I don't have the time for it to get sent off and fixed, then sent back, which could take weeks. I have also found some good alternatives if you don't have warrant or the money to get it fixed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-battery-charger-for-Asus-A42-G73-G73-G73JH-/350461184207?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item51991d48cf

Above is an external battery charger, which is annoying having to take your battery out and charging it every time it dies, but it beats not having a laptop.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=asus+g53+charging+port&_sacat=0&_odkw=external+battery+charger+asus&_osacat=0

These are replacement charging ports to install into your computer, although I assume you would need to be fairly tech-savvy and know how to desolder/solder fairly well to install them properly, but they are all less than $5 to buy.

redbomber@googlemail.com
09-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi all,
now i have the same problem. I already sent my notebook to the german RMA support (i'm from germany) one week ago.
I received today the message that the part which is needed to replace - G53JW MAIN_BD._0M/AS (6L) - , will be available at the 2012.10.20 at the earliest.
So this means at least another three weeks and then this part has still to be replaced.

So i think the complete repair will take 1.5 - 2 months. This is really a lot of time...

dstrakele
09-28-2012, 09:05 PM
You probably would've been better off if you had a local computer repair shop solder a beefier power pin connector to your existing motherboard as discussed earlier in this thread (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=97118&viewfull=1#post97118). The repair would've been completed much faster and would be sturdier than the connector pin on the new replacement motherboard.

Zygomorphic
09-28-2012, 09:20 PM
ASUS has been doing quick and dirty fixes that will just fail later down the line, and they sold all these faulty boxes without a care.

Tell you what, if someone wants to pay up the 2-3 thousand dollars to each of us G53 owners so we can get a non-timebomb computer, then we wouldn't even have to consider this.

You are asking all G53 owners to just deal with having piece of **** boxes and horrible support because it will save you a few bucks next time you upgrade.

@gorman, I believe that you are forgetting that I too am a G53 owner, and have had mine for over a year without problems. I unplug it every 2 days on average, but I have never had a problem. I am not denying that there are problems, and @dstrakele, your solution is definitely a decent one.

@gorman, with regards to me saving a few bucks, it is not that, it is the issue that everyone looses. Money that ASUS could have spent repairing the broken computers and redesigning the power pin assembly is now gone, so they have to make up the revenue somehow.

anvancy
10-05-2012, 08:17 AM
I am the latest victim for this issue. I have the G53SW instead of the J.

I have informed the service center and they have said that the motherboard will have to be replaced. Lets hope I get changed done fast.

the pin cannot be soldered back?just a random question. one pin change is requiring the entire motherboard to be replaced?

Also is the G53 discontinued?can a motherboard say from the N55SF work on the G53?

Anvancy

Zygomorphic
10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
The power-pin assembly is soldered to the mobo, making it cheaper to replace the entire motherboard than fixing/replacing the power-pin assembly.

Will a non-G53 mobo work, no:
1) Shape - notebook motherboards are custom shape, the mounts won't line up, and the heat-sinks won't be in the right place.
2) Processor - the N55SF uses a different chipset and CPU from the G53, hence, it isn't compatible.

Grendel
10-05-2012, 11:03 AM
These 5.5/2.5mm DC plugs are only rated up to 5A, and even then, only one manufacturer (Switchcraft) actually gives any rating.

If you use the laptop for anything power-hungry such as gaming, benchmarks, calculations etc and not cool-off periods, the pin will fail sooner or later. Think about it. The Power brick might draw more than 7.5 Amps, exceeding the thermal design by 50%. Something's gotta give.

When my jack fails I think a beefier connector with a small metal plate as extra heatsink is the proper solution. Obviously it would be nice if ASUS used a proper plug in the first place, that's why many other manufacturers use these 4 pin power plugs instead.

Gorman
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Selling us a faulty product, then not offering fixes, refunds, and having huge RMA turn around times... Worst part is when they act like they've never heard of this fault despite this thread being one of the biggest on the forum, nearly 200 posts over a year... Not even counting all the other threads.

It's embarrassing to say "no I can't benchmark this gaming laptop because it might break", but that's just the way ASUS likes it apparently...

Yes I still mad.

anvancy
10-08-2012, 05:57 AM
just spoke to the Service Center today. He was quick to say that I broke it and since the user broke it, its not covered warranty. Seriously, why will a user break the pin in the first place?

I told that its a manufacturer defect.I will visit personally the service center to check more on this.

Anvancy

Gorman
10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
ASUS believes the power pin issue is a conspiracy created by users.

Get used to it buddy, you will have to convince every ASUS employee you talk to that didn't desolder the pin yourself.

cybercb
10-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Mine G53SW brokes it's pin about 4 weeks ago, called Asus Denmark, and the guy i talked whit, HAD heard about it, and gave me a RMA number.
Sent my Laptop ind, and 2 weeks after i got it back whit a new mobo. Great service, and ofc under Warranty:D

Zygomorphic
10-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Mine G53SW brokes it's pin about 4 weeks ago, called Asus Denmark, and the guy i talked whit, HAD heard about it, and gave me a RMA number.
Sent my Laptop ind, and 2 weeks after i got it back whit a new mobo. Great service, and ofc under Warranty:D

Wonderful! Glad to hear that everything went well for you! :)

cybercb
10-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Wonderful! Glad to hear that everything went well for you! :)

Me too ;)
Hope it will hold the rest of the laptops lifetime ^^

anvancy
10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Just received the laptop today Zygomorphic.

My issue was dealt in warranty. But instead of replacing the entire motherboard, the dc jack part has been changed. Now the pin looks more of a hexagonal finish which was also reported on NBR.

Charging is now normal.all functions working properly at the moment. Fast 4 days service by my center here.

Anvancy

Zygomorphic
10-16-2012, 01:25 AM

My issue was dealt in warranty. But instead of replacing the entire motherboard, the dc jack part has been changed. Now the pin looks more of a hexagonal finish which was also reported on NBR.

Charging is now normal.all functions working properly at the moment. Fast 4 days service by my center here.

Anvancy

Wonderful! Glad to hear that the turn-around was quick! :) I had a PM from somebody asking the same thing about hexagonal DC power pins. I don't think that I have one, but mine hasn't broken so I can't rightly say.

Gorman
10-16-2012, 03:48 AM

Anvancy
Sounds like your locals got sick of official policy and decided to get the job done!

Nice, tell us if you have any problems (or no longer have problems)!

bakadeshi
10-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Well, after almost 8 months of no hardware issues, this just happened to me too :( Ugh. Except I live in Tanzania, so my nearest service center is apparently in South Africa! Between the long distance and corrupt officials at the post office, that's certainly not a valid option for me...

Dose anyone know if I could ostensibly get this fixed at a US service center? What sort of documentation would they need (what counts as proof of purchase)?

edit: Or better yet, any DIY options out there that work? Similarly, how do I get the pin out of my power adaptor? It's wedged in there...

Gorman
10-16-2012, 05:52 AM
If you want to DIY it, then buy a suitably rated socket online, and use pliers to pull out the pin. I would recommend replacing the power adapter entirely, since from what I've heard ASUS is giving out cheap underrated adapters which is part of the problem.

Zygomorphic
10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I've heard that people are having good luck with the newer design, which is a hexagonal pin rather than a round one. PM @cl-scott and see what he says.

Gorman
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
The annoying part is that you can't just RMA and ask them to swap you over to the new plug, you have to wait for it to break then they will swap it over...

Yes I have to break my laptop so they can then make it less likely to break >_>

anvancy
10-16-2012, 02:13 PM
what confuses me now is, why were the dc jacks not replaced the entire time this problem came out. i mean the motherboards had to be replaced.

what is the risk of changing an entire motherboard vs changing/soldering only the jack?

the fix has not caused any malfunctions as of now. all buttons,keyboard screen,speakers are running as normal.

Anvancy

Gorman
10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
So long as you are trained, then it's fine to replace the mobo or the socket. Of course, either will void your warranty.

n3tninja
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I've heard that people are having good luck with the newer design, which is a hexagonal pin rather than a round one. PM @cl-scott and see what he says.

Yup, apparently the hexagonal pins are really sturdy and durable.

Zygomorphic
10-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Good to know, now we need to tell @gorman this.

Gorman
10-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Message received loud and clear!

Now I just have to get one... somehow...

Which part of them is hexagonal? The actual plug? So would I need a new 90 degree adapter?

anvancy
10-17-2012, 06:29 AM
What I wanted to say Gorman was for the official replacement scenario. many G53s whose pins broke had the mobo changed. I am asking what risk is there in general for a mobo change vs the jack change. my jack was changed by the authorized center. if soldering the jack seams more fast and feasible why wait for weeks for a mobo change?This is what confuses me.

Anvancy

Gorman
10-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Maybe they just don't have replacement jacks. I've had mine RMA's for the problem 4 times, and they just replace mobo each time.

Has anyone had just the jack replaced?

n3tninja
10-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Whatever do you mean ? The DC power pin (Part of the motherboard) or the Power Chord Jack (Part of the power adapter) :S ?

n3tninja
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Message received loud and clear!

Now I just have to get one... somehow...

Which part of them is hexagonal? The actual plug? So would I need a new 90 degree adapter?

The DC power pin (the part of the motherboard where you connect your power plug) is the part that is hexagonal, at least for some of the Asus G53s including mine. Some Asus G53s also have the round pin types that have been notorious for breaking off.

I don't know if you would need a 90 Degree adapter. I personally don't use one because I'm still in my warranty years, so if something happens whenever I use a 90 Degree adapter, I don't want the blame on me, the warranty would just take care of it.

Gorman
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
s/jack/socket

It's possible to unsolder the socket and replace it, rather than replacing the whole mobo. Probably is more work intensive.

n3tninja
10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
s/jack/socket

It's possible to unsolder the socket and replace it, rather than replacing the whole mobo. Probably is more work intensive.

Its not that hard for an electrical engineering student at least, if you are really good with soldering, its a REALLLLLLLY CHEAP fix and you can just get a very durable part from the internet and solder it one there, without having to have the fear getting another crappy pin.

Gorman
10-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Yup, but it would void my warranty, so if something big breaks ASUS will just say "no you fixed your socket so we won't help".

We are forced to live with the terrible socket unless ASUS replace it for us >_>

wistryker
10-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Its not that hard for an electrical engineering student at least, if you are really good with soldering, its a REALLLLLLLY CHEAP fix and you can just get a very durable part from the internet and solder it one there, without having to have the fear getting another crappy pin.

I tried the unsoldering trick because it would only have cost me $4.00 to fix. It is a nightmare to change just the socket on the motherboard. What started out as $4.00 ended up being $274.00.:mad:

Zygomorphic
10-24-2012, 12:24 AM

Kudos to you...but not everyone (At least not me! :D) is a EE student. Still, that's good advice for anyone who knows how to solder and has some time on their hands. I don't know how to solder...then again, my pin hasn't broken, either.

rebel146
10-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Wowwww 22 pages.. what a long read that was, here is some more to add to that :)

My first post! but sadly because my pin broke and I received my new unit last week.

What I found helpful in the previous posts was accounts of what happened and asus service, so I will do the same. Skip this if you are disinterested.

When my pin broke I was actually very confused what happened. I bought my laptop g53S 4 months ago and it has been sitting on my desk ever since. Not on my lap, not moving it, my cord does not need to bend behind because my cord runs to the side to the outlet at desk level (no stress sideways or downward). Randomly I notice it stops charging and called asus right away.

Called Asus
Me" "something doesn’t seem right its not charging and I dunno whats going on"
Asus: "oh lets get you to send in your computer its the power pin"

....this means they obviously know about it.. I didn’t even mention a pin I really didn’t understand what was going on till after I made the call and then searched on the internet/saw pictures etc.

They got me my rma number and sent 2 emails with info. I had to pay for packaging but they paid both ways shipping.
Shipping repair turnaround time was 10days (I am in NY, repaired in CA)... which is honestly a lot faster then I expected so awesome for that.

Now after reading this I notice people talking about this new hex pin. I did not receive one, I have the same ol' pin. I even used a very bright light and looked at the sides of the pin, its smooth and round just as the original. So they must be trying to get rid of more of the older pins before putting in the new, or maybe they found some older ones laying around and decided to throw them in... kinda bummed they did this but what can i do.

This is most definitely a manufacturing defect, not a user one. This laptop had not moved ever, and had no stress on the plug (as I stated my plug goes sideways from the laptop and outlet is at desk level).

I am now super nervous to use the laptop... its been on only for 5min in the past week (just to test it) because kind of scared for this to happen again....a small pin should not keep a laptop hostage lol.

I will be buying a L adapter off amazon which was provided on this page but ONE of the reviews however states this same problem happened with the L adapter, so really not sure if it matters.

Hope another person (in the next 5 min probably) tonight whos pin breaks will find some of this info helpful.
I would compare this issue to smokers. If you smoke a pack a day for your entire life... some of you will get cancer, some a lung disease etc... and some people will just slide home free and nothing will happen. Its sadly a gamble.

Now for a question, what benefit would the plastic/rubber washer do? I am not understanding the mechanism how this may help the problem but willing to try anything to keep this from happening again :)

as I stated above, the L adapter wont help me much (but still going to buy it) because my outlet goes to side, I have no pull on the plug and one of the reviews states it broke anyways. Targus or similar products dont seem to be any different in mechanism from the L adapter. I am not a EE student so cant solder and if I tried would probably catch my whole laptop on fire. I am assuming this WILL happen again just incase it does.

Zygomorphic
10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
The washer can help reduce stress in the socket if our cord hangs down below the level of the laptop. If not, then I would say it isn't worth it. Glad to hear that you got good service! It seems that ASUS now realizes what is going on. :)

Gorman
10-25-2012, 05:46 AM
nah Zygo, the washer and L adapter don't help much. They certainly won't help, but from what I've seen and heard they won't fix the problem. Actually I'm half minded as to whether it would be good to use the L adapter. If the same problem occurs, then the pin might break off in the adapter, which means not only do you still need repairs, but you need to buy an adapter. It may just serve as more ammo for ASUS to claim it was your fault..

Generally the problem comes down to the poor quality of the charges sold by ASUS. If you make sure the cable is free of kinks and curls that can help, but you really should buy a new one. I got lucky and the repair centre gave me a new one and that has basically ended the 3-month cycle of failures.

I would say that the combination of poor design of the socket and the poor quality of chargers combined cause this problem.

n3tninja
10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Dear Rebel146,

it sometimes is not your pin's fault but your charger's fault. If you find your charger jack really heating up while playing a gfx intensive game, then its really the charger's fault your pin breaks. It may be true that the round pin is bleh but check your chargers too.

Tip: Never pull out your charger when its plugged in, always turn off your power supply then pull out the charger jack.

Another tip is please do NOT let your charger hang from the laptop down. That stress is really heavy, I've even compared it with other chargers. That asus charger jack is a juggernaut LOL.

This is my charger set up :

I keep like an eraser or some support under that cylindrical thing, so the stress is pretty less than normal.

daveconway18
10-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Just like everyone else, i had the same problem. First time the pin broke, and i didn't even know it until i read this forum. Sent it in, got it fixed. 1 month later it broke again, and i was VERY careful. The pin came out inside the charger tip! Sent it in, got it fixed. Finally they put a new hex shaped one in. So while they were in there monkeying around, they broke the blue tooth. Sent it back in, and you know the story. I'm ready to take this thing and chuck it out the window. Shame too, as it's a nice laptop and performs well. I keep my laptop on a flat table now, with something always supporting the power tip so there is no stress on it at all.

If anyone knows a better fix, please share. My warranty is up in a few weeks, and I'm sure it will break the next day. I'm not sure who has more hours logged on this machine...me....or Asus repair. By the way, my room mate bought a lesser model Asus laptop at the same time and it has worked fine since day one.

HumanMineral
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, it just happened to me. I bought an "L" adapter as suggested and the things became so hot on first use that the plastic melted to the pin and when the adapter was removed the pin came out. So I'm sending it to CA to get fixed.

On a side note, anyone who is looking for the washers, I found them at Lowe's (or any DIY store). You want rubber washers 3/16 x 1/2 x 1/16. Stack if necessary. This $0.92 solution would have kept this from happening.

I have the hex pin, but I use two washers (one supplied by ASUS and one purchased at a DIY store as described above). I believe that there are two reasons the washers work. (1) they they change the amount of the pin plugged into the adapter more shallow. As such the effect on the pin of any "play" on the adapter is reduced because the amount of contact between the two is reduced. I think it has something to do with levers and fulcrums, but I won't bore you with Archimedes principle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes); and, (2) The washers act as support for the more shallowly plugged in adapter. The washers make contact with the case and bear the weight of the adapter, thereby spreading the weight out more evenly along the plastic casing and washer as opposed to the pin itself.

Granted, these are just my theories. Someone should by the devil a parka before I'll use my box to experiment to prove them. However, I haven't had any troubles with my pin since implementing the two washer system. You should know, I move my system everyday, multiple times a day, and I have the adapter cord doing everything everyone says not to. This is by necessity, not design. The point is that for me, the two washer system is working really well. A added benefit of the more shallow connection is that if someone trips over the cord, it detaches super easily and doesn't damage the pin.

I posit that anyone who is concerned about their pin should also implement it. For the price of gas and $1.98, do you think it is worth trying?

Zygomorphic
10-27-2012, 01:54 AM
@HumanMineral, everything you said in your theories is true. I never plug my adapter in all the way (it resists going in that far) and so have never had a problem. The spacing of the washers will do more than the load bearing, because a friction force requires a significant normal force in order to work.

Gorman
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
@HumanMineral, everything you said in your theories is true. I never plug my adapter in all the way (it resists going in that far) and so have never had a problem. The spacing of the washers will do more than the load bearing, because a friction force requires a significant normal force in order to work.
I disagree, firstly because I don't force the plug in and it's broken 4 times.
Secondly because making it shallower would increase the likelihood of it breaking, not decrease.

I don't think the problem is caused just by stresses. Otherwise it wouldn't get hot, and plugging it in all the way would break the socket not the pin.

n3tninja
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Just like everyone else, i had the same problem. First time the pin broke, and i didn't even know it until i read this forum. Sent it in, got it fixed. 1 month later it broke again, and i was VERY careful. The pin came out inside the charger tip! Sent it in, got it fixed. Finally they put a new hex shaped one in. So while they were in there monkeying around, they broke the blue tooth. Sent it back in, and you know the story. I'm ready to take this thing and chuck it out the window. Shame too, as it's a nice laptop and performs well. I keep my laptop on a flat table now, with something always supporting the power tip so there is no stress on it at all.

If anyone knows a better fix, please share. My warranty is up in a few weeks, and I'm sure it will break the next day. I'm not sure who has more hours logged on this machine...me....or Asus repair. By the way, my room mate bought a lesser model Asus laptop at the same time and it has worked fine since day one.

Erm yeah, please keep it on a flat table. You really don't want the wire hanging down from the side and if you do want it like that I'd suggest a washer.

rafael.2ch
11-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Hello Everyone, I have a Problem :(, a few weeks before, I had to repair the power plug from my asus g53jw when I Finished and then connect the power cord, automatically the laptop seems to turn on, The leds on the right above of the keyboard turns on, the fans turn on for a moment but the screen continue black. I don't know what to do :(.

the technical support recomend to Change the chip of the Bios (hardware)
I can't continue bleeding money, I need to apply for the right solution.

Plz I need your help ASAP

Gorman
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
RMA it again. No question there, if they broke it they fix it.

Cabanaman
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow... Ok, so I've had my G53 for a little over a year now and my pin has broken 3 times. I've had to send it in for repairs 5 times with various little problems but right now this is overshadowing them all. With the warranty expiring in less than a year I'm really worried about the fate of my laptop. I just got it back from the repair center TWO WEEKS ago and its already swtiching from AC Mode to Battery Mode rapidly for no reason. This is insane. I was an exchange for a different model or a refund but I no that's not going to happen. I just think it's rediculous that I pretty much rented a laptop for two years for $1600 that's going to break the day after warranty.

Anyway, I want to send it in and get the new pin but I'm afraid I'll receive it back with the same old POS one. I was thinking if I could buy that pin somewhere I could send it in with the laptop to make sure they use that one? I don't know it sounds like something that is against policy but at this point I'm grasping at straws. I've tried the L adapter, and all it did was extend the lifespan of the pin a few months.

sebtrickstar
11-13-2012, 03:29 AM
i have a G53SW and the power connector pin broke for the second time yesterday. I brought in back to the asus service center and the guy told me that a revision has been made to the motherboard with a stronger power jack and also they are now replacing the power supply by a L shape jack. Finger cross, hope it will be better

Gorman
11-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Wow... Ok, so I've had my G53 for a little over a year now and my pin has broken 3 times. I've had to send it in for repairs 5 times with various little problems but right now this is overshadowing them all. With the warranty expiring in less than a year I'm really worried about the fate of my laptop. I just got it back from the repair center TWO WEEKS ago and its already swtiching from AC Mode to Battery Mode rapidly for no reason. This is insane. I was an exchange for a different model or a refund but I no that's not going to happen. I just think it's rediculous that I pretty much rented a laptop for two years for $1600 that's going to break the day after warranty.

Anyway, I want to send it in and get the new pin but I'm afraid I'll receive it back with the same old POS one. I was thinking if I could buy that pin somewhere I could send it in with the laptop to make sure they use that one? I don't know it sounds like something that is against policy but at this point I'm grasping at straws. I've tried the L adapter, and all it did was extend the lifespan of the pin a few months.
That's pretty much the way ASUS works. According to the warranty G53 users are entitled to a full refund or exchange to a model that doesn't have this ridiculous fault, but ASUS will run you around forever if you mention it. Some people have had ASUS detain their laptops for months as they 'assess if it is eligible' or other bull****.

You aren't the first or last person who is being ****ed by ASUS, they just don't care about their customers. Every now and then someone asks if we should start a class action suit, if someone wants to organise it I'm on board.

I don't think they will fit custom parts for you.

HumanMineral
11-13-2012, 04:11 PM

I feel for you! Having that warranty run down and getting worried about your box is tough. If you've been unsatisfied with the work they've done previous times, why not buy the jack and take your laptop to you local computer repair shop for them to soder and install? If your warranty is expiring soon anyway, you don't really lose anything by that. You'll certainly get better customer service and have more control over what parts are installed considering you will be supplying them. Thoughts?

Lamming
11-20-2012, 08:11 PM
seems to me that this is a problem with alot of customers, ive had the same problem and when i contacted asus about my warranty and getting it repaired they said the costs would be minimum of 278 dollars to upwards of 600 and that is under warranty apparently, so i am just wondering if anyone has incurred these costs as well and if yours was covered for the same problem at a much lower cost by asus could you please email or fwd me the RMA number so i can give them a reference and feel like i am not being taken advantage of, the whole process of dealing with asus has been very frusturating and extremely unhelpful, so please i am asking for some help and if anyone has had a much diffeerent expierence with asus support, please let me know how you handled it

dstrakele
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
If ASUS is telling you it will cost $278 to $600+, they are NOT covering it under Warranty.

Is your laptop still under Warranty? If so, from what I've read in other posts (even in this thread), this issue IS typically covered under Warranty with no cost to the customer. I recommend you PM cl-scott in this forum and request assistance with your RMA.

Gorman
11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Sometimes ASUS will swap your 2 year (or more) warranty to a 1 year warranty, so be careful. In that case you should tell them they can't just randomly swap your warranty.
They may also tell you that you broke it so they won't cover it, in which case you tell them that the issue is very common and is a design fault and using cheap materials/labour.

ASUS support will try and take advantage of you at every opportunity, you have to make them aware that you know their little tricks.

JR_12
11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Well after almost exactly a year, this pin broke again on my G53SW. Called asus and said it was still under warranty, generated the RMA and getting ready to send it in.

I get the feeling they are going to say this isn't covered and it was CID (since my 1 year accidental expired last week). Has anyone faced this before? With ASUS trying to say this was accidental and were you successful in getting them to cover it under the hardware warranty?

Also, I'm VERY tempted to replace the connector if it comes back with the original. I'm pretty comfortable with soldering & welding.. Anyone know where I can order the hex design that I've been seeing people get upgraded to?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

I'll let you all know how it turns out. *Keeping my fingers crossed*

Zygomorphic
11-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Well after almost exactly a year, this pin broke again on my G53SW. Called asus and said it was still under warranty, generated the RMA and getting ready to send it in.

I get the feeling they are going to say this isn't covered and it was CID (since my 1 year accidental expired last week). Has anyone faced this before? With ASUS trying to say this was accidental and were you successful in getting them to cover it under the hardware warranty?

Also, I'm VERY tempted to replace the connector if it comes back with the original. I'm pretty comfortable with soldering & welding.. Anyone know where I can order the hex design that I've been seeing people get upgraded to?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

I'll let you all know how it turns out. *Keeping my fingers crossed*

For what its worth, I checked my laptop and found out that I have the hexagonal design, which would explain why I have been having so much luck with it. Honestly, if you choose to replace it yourself, then just get a heavier-duty connector online. If ASUS gives you trouble, PM @cl-scott about it. ASUS knows about the issue, and generally people have been having good service, but that still isn't as nice as perfect computers, lol. :p

nadeem
11-23-2012, 05:59 AM
I live in India..and my chargin pin in motherboard section broke a few days back...It took the service center guys 4 days to reply saying that this is not under my global warranty..They can do nothing about the pin itself being weak....And they said they will charge me INR 12000/- i.e around $ 220..What do i do guys..they say that such a service(as in USA..being replaced free of cost) is not availabe in India.Some 3rd party guys are ready to replace it in INR 3500/- ...but that will void my warranty i think.Lots of my friends bought an ASUS laptop cause i recommendedd it to them...I will never do that any more....

Zygomorphic
11-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I live in India..and my chargin pin in motherboard section broke a few days back...It took the service center guys 4 days to reply saying that this is not under my global warranty..They can do nothing about the pin itself being weak....And they said they will charge me INR 12000/- i.e around $ 220..What do i do guys..they say that such a service(as in USA..being replaced free of cost) is not availabe in India.Some 3rd party guys are ready to replace it in INR 3500/- ...but that will void my warranty i think.Lots of my friends bought an ASUS laptop cause i recommendedd it to them...I will never do that any more....

The India repair personnel are likely trying to cost you money. If you have a global warranty, then you might have to get it sent out to USA, but it should be covered.

nadeem
11-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I bought through Ebay from USA.Everything worked fine until one day my display went out..for no reason.But the display again worked fine the next day on wards and never troubled me until I went back to my college and it started troubling me again.Then after a few days there were dead pixels on my laptop's screen.So when i went back home, I went to a service center around 150 KM (100 miles) from my house and they said replacing the screen will fix all the issues I was facing; but it didn't. And I had to return back to college with the issue of display as i had little time to get it fixed.

Now After having the laptop for less than a year, one day, out of no where the charging pin came out from the socket along with the jack when i pulled the charging jack out.When i checked the Asus ROG forums I found out hundreds of people having the same issue.Even their jack broke of and that ASUS USA was replacing the motherboard under warranty as this was the manufacturing defect as the jack was too thin and delicate.But these guys in India are charging me INR 12000 ($220) for this.Also they say the display is motherboard issue.Then i must be having the motherboard replaced under warranty itself as this issue was reported by me long back..but they never replaced my motherboard.

n3tninja
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
For what its worth, I checked my laptop and found out that I have the hexagonal design, which would explain why I have been having so much luck with it. Honestly, if you choose to replace it yourself, then just get a heavier-duty connector online. If ASUS gives you trouble, PM @cl-scott about it. ASUS knows about the issue, and generally people have been having good service, but that still isn't as nice as perfect computers, lol. :p

Same here.

n3tninja
11-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Your best bet is to send it to ASUS middle east and try if it can get fixed under warranty. If you have anyone in either Saudi or Dubai that could help you out, that would be pretty cool.

Gorman
11-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Why wouldn't they fix it? If you have a global warranty then it will cover it.

ASUS always try to weasel their way out, it definitely is covered.

n3tninja
11-25-2012, 11:44 PM
I bought through Ebay from USA.Everything worked fine until one day my display went out..for no reason.But the display again worked fine the next day on wards and never troubled me until I went back to my college and it started troubling me again.Then after a few days there were dead pixels on my laptop's screen.So when i went back home, I went to a service center around 150 KM (100 miles) from my house and they said replacing the screen will fix all the issues I was facing; but it didn't. And I had to return back to college with the issue of display as i had little time to get it fixed.

Now After having the laptop for less than a year, one day, out of no where the charging pin came out from the socket along with the jack when i pulled the charging jack out.When i checked the Asus ROG forums I found out hundreds of people having the same issue.Even their jack broke of and that ASUS USA was replacing the motherboard under warranty as this was the manufacturing defect as the jack was too thin and delicate.But these guys in India are charging me INR 12000 ($220) for this.Also they say the display is motherboard issue.Then i must be having the motherboard replaced under warranty itself as this issue was reported by me long back..but they never replaced my motherboard.

Its pretty bull**** that ASUS in India is trying to dodge the RMA. I suggest you ask cl-scott or one of the ASUS guys here to have a word with your nearest service centre.

As a side note, you should've gotten your motherboard replaced, you might've just gotten the hexi pin.

Zygomorphic
11-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Same here.

Glad you finally got to know that! :) I was just too lazy (posting on the forums and whatnot) to turn off the computer and carefully examine it. Finally, I had the computer off and unplugged and remembered to check. Yours looks like it has slight edges around the round? :D

n3tninja
11-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Glad you finally got to know that! :) I was just too lazy (posting on the forums and whatnot) to turn off the computer and carefully examine it. Finally, I had the computer off and unplugged and remembered to check. Yours looks like it has slight edges around the round? :D

Yup yup :D !!

JR_12
12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Sorry for the delay on this, been busy!

But the good news is that Asus completely repaired this with no hassle under the 2 year warranty (not the accidental warranty). They didn't use the hex pin that some people seem to have, but it's definitely a bulkier pin in there now. So other than the shipping costs (insurance also) and the 10 days I was without the computer - this actually went pretty smooth.

It's awesome that ASUS has such a long warranty - but still a shame we have to call it for things that shouldn't even be issues.

Mine went to the Milpitas center (In California) so hopefully that helps anyone who's facing this problem again. Glad that I still have this comp, but I will not buy another ASUS.

Gorman
12-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Isn't a 2 year warranty on electronics required by law in the US?

/me not an international law scholar

Zygomorphic
12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Isn't a 2 year warranty on electronics required by law in the US?

/me not an international law scholar

I'd highly doubt it. Most consumer laptops I know of are 1 year warranty. We have (or we're supposed to have) a free-market economy, so companies can set their warranty policies, but consumers set the prices by the things and way that they buy. :)

Gorman
12-11-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd highly doubt it. Most consumer laptops I know of are 1 year warranty. We have (or we're supposed to have) a free-market economy, so companies can set their warranty policies, but consumers set the prices by the things and way that they buy. :)
Ah capitalism.

Great if you want to sell things, not good for consumers huh.

Zygomorphic
12-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Ah capitalism.

Great if you want to sell things, not good for consumers huh.

Actually better in the long run...we get better products at a lower cost. Companies that make things cheap and unreliable are relegated to low-profit-margin budget products. Companies that get everything right at a slightly higher cost and then innovate make a ton of money that they can then invest in something else innovative. And before anyone thinks it, I'm not talking about Apple. Steve Woz said that MS is more innovative with their Slate than Apple is with the iPad.

Gorman
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
More like a string of half-working products with bad warranty and quality followed up by a string of promises to fix it in the next release.

EDIT: I guess it's good for people willing to buy new products every few months. I don't have 3k to burn every 3 months on a new laptop, but I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy capitalism because of that...

I'll stick with the cheaper better quality more reliable older gear.

garumba
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately my G53sx just had this exact same issue as everyone is describing, pin broke off last night inside my power cable. Was just sitting on the couch using my laptop like normal...

I called ASUS support last night and they are supposed to be getting back to me today on my warranty claim (i'm 12 days shy of my one year purchase anniversary on this laptop, when i gave them my serial number they told me it was out of warranty but i emailed them a copy of my purchase receipt from Tiger Direct so I hope i don't get grief on it). Terrible timing as i'm about to go on Christmas holidays and i need to do remote support for the next couple weeks. I wish i had known about this issue before i decided on purchasing one of these laptops...

Zygomorphic
12-19-2012, 01:32 AM
@garumba, if anything weird happens, contact @cl-scott and he should be able to help you.

anvancy
12-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Nadeem where you reside?Did you went to Neoteric Service center to check for your issue?my pin was replaced under warranty by them in Hyderabad.Just tell them to refer to this thread in the website.Or if you are in some other city ask that Neoteric to call up Hyderabad Neoteric and talk to Mr. Pradeep.He is the chief tech here in hyderabad.

Anvancy