PDA

View Full Version : BSOD might be the display driver - but it could be ANYTHING !!

bigpygme
05-10-2011, 07:55 PM
hardware's an Asus EAH 5770, updated today to this month's ATI driver. but i have been getting, and am still getting, BSOD, no matter what driver i try to use. even when i rolled it back.

windows BSOD error codes 0x00000??? include those ending in 1A, 1E, 7E, 3B, 19, 50, 124, 126, and 135. many point to the display driver as a possible culprit -- but what am i going to do? i've tried so many DD's my head is spinning.

could it be something else?

mobo is an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. CPU = AMD B60, which is a 560 unlocked to 4 cores. 8 GB Crucial XMS RAM. not overclocking anymore - had a modest O/C before, but it screwed up waking from Sleep. anything else you need to know to perhaps help me troubleshoot this? (Is this the right forum ?)

thanks a million if you chime in ...
Michael

xeromist
05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Is this issue happening mostly under load, idle, or seemingly random? One thing I don't think we asked you in your other thread is what kind of power supply are you using for this system?

Also, for anyone that hasn't read your other thread I will point out that you passed a 12 hour memtest with no issues.

bigpygme
05-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Ultra LSP 650 W modular power supply. plenty of power, i think, since i only have one vid card ...

thx for posting that memtest for me

xeromist
05-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, should be plenty of power. Sometimes power supplies go bad though and that could cause all of the problems you've been experiencing. It's still possible that something's up with the motherboard so don't run out and buy a new power supply, but is there any way you have access to another power supply for testing?

bigpygme
05-12-2011, 12:28 AM
wish i did have access to another power supply - regretably i don't.
so it aactually could be the mobo ???

xeromist
05-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Well, as you said anything is possible. I know you said that the BSOD tends to indicate video sometimes so I guess I'd lean towards the card but both the PSU and the motherboard are integral parts of the system and can cause strange problems.

bigpygme
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
xeronist -
someone said to use MSI overdrive to bump the core mV to the gpu up just a little, since the problem occurs on simple desktop useage, not in games - i really don't play many games with this. (seems like keeping it in good repair is all the games i need !! <LOL> )

could be a fault in the vid card, huh ? hmmmmmm ... Asus tech support, accessed directly, is really a frustrating pain to deal with. i have Asus mobo and vid card ... if i'd known they were going to be difficult to deal with, i would have gone with another manufacturer ...

xeromist
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I think the logic there is that it may be dropping the voltage too low for continued operation and causing your problem. This really shouldn't happen with a properly functioning card so even if you can fix it with a voltage adjustment it's a band-aid at best.

Sorry you have had problems with ASUS support. I can say that I've had good and bad experiences with many different companies over the years (even with the exact same RMA) and sometimes it just depends on who answers the phone. I hope you have better luck if you need to contact them again.

bigpygme
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I think the logic there is that it may be dropping the voltage too low for continued operation and causing your problem. This really shouldn't happen with a properly functioning card so even if you can fix it with a voltage adjustment it's a band-aid at best.

Sorry you have had problems with ASUS support. I can say that I've had good and bad experiences with many different companies over the years (even with the exact same RMA) and sometimes it just depends on who answers the phone. ... I hope you have better luck if you need to contact them again.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - VERY INTERESTING. I DEFINITELY SEE YOUR POINT - BUT YOU KNOW, I'M SEEING A LOT OF TALK ON THE NET ABOUT THE 5770 FROM VARIOUS MANUFACTURERS NOT BEING STABLE AT IDLE.

Sorry you have had problems with ASUS support. I can say that I've had good and bad experiences with many different companies over the years (even with the exact same RMA) and sometimes it just depends on who answers the phone. ... I hope you have better luck if you need to contact them again
PHONE ??? I CAN'T GET THEIR NUMBER ! IT'S ALWAYS THE ASUS TECH SUPPORT PAGE, WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO FILL OUT DETAILS OF EVERY COMPONENT. DIDN'T EVEN THINK THERE WAS AN ASUS TECH SUPPORT NUMBER

ANYWAY, THANKS - I APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP MORE THAN I CAN SAY ... I will involve M$ in this when i have the time, since I can under warranty, and if they come back to the card as the problem i'll RMA it.

working with M$, they rolled the display driver back to theirs, the one that comes with Win 7, but i am still getting blue screens. is there some reason you know of not to try updated ATI drivers and CCC that i don't know about ?

Michael

xeromist
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, if there actually is a flaw in the 5770 reference design & firmware then perhaps an adjustment is needed but I stand by my assertion that it should not be required for a properly functioning card. (I don't consider a card with a design flaw properly functioning :D)

V2-V3 posted a phone # in the warranty/RMA section so you can give that a go if you'd like:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?531-ASUS-Republic-of-gamers-Graphics-Card-Warranty-amp-RMA

Microsoft would ask you to roll back the driver because that is the only one MS has actually tested itself. Unfortunately for MS there is a mind boggling number of hardware options that run on Windows so getting drivers tested as soon as they are available is pretty much not possible. Whatever is available through Windows Update is usually several major revisions behind. Using a known good configuration is standard troubleshooting practice but once you have finished with tech support and proven that the driver is not at fault I would upgrade again.

bigpygme
05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
thank you for ALL of that. you;'ve been GREAT ! i don't see a "thanks" button on this site as there are on so many help/support sites. i'm not missing something, am i ?
i too thought it made sense to update the DDrivers. when i'm through with M$, this weekend or by tuesday, i'll do that. no point before then.

and thx especially for a phone number !! i have never seen an Asus tech support or RMA phone #.

this morning, with the mV increased slightly, i've already gotten 2 BSOD. so problem is definitely not solved ...

Regards,
Michael

xeromist
05-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Glad to help!

At the bottom left of every post there are a set of buttons where you can +rep, report a post, etc. I'm not sure if the report function is working since our move to the new server, but if it's not you can always send me a message.

Edit: just checked and report function isn't working. Maybe sometime when Brian isn't having such a hectic period we can get that fixed. In the mean time you can always send a message to me or another moderator.

bigpygme
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
wanted you (andothers who may check into this thread) to know i RMA'd my Asus 5770 card. am running off the on board video of the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. have not had a blue screen since switching over to that output. i'll check back in when i get my card returned and have something to report about stability, drivers, etc.

thanks for your help - contacting Asus was made MUCH easier with that phone number !

Michael

bigpygme
05-17-2011, 06:58 PM
well, after a bit i WAS still getting the BSOD, so i called MS.

Microsoft reviewed the event log file and is of the opinion that my BSOD errors are a result of ... ... superantispyware app !

very curious, this. any others having a similar experience?

i used msconfig so that superantispyware is not running on start up in apps and services - turns out the default installation does set that up. also used compatability mode to set it up under an older ver of Windows. if nec i will uninstall it, but it is a damn handy program and i'd rather not be without it. but i'd even more rather not have these frequent BSOD's, so i will report back on how things go.

Michael

xeromist
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I've not heard of this but I suppose it's possible. SAS might be messing with memory at a low level in an effort to detect when malware is present. I'd think if this was a problem with a legitimate piece of software that the creators would have heard about it already. You might want to see if they have a forum.

bigpygme
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
well, after trying the cut-off the O/C idea to fix the will-not-wake-from-sleep problem, which seemed to work for a while, i am all the way back to Ground Zero.

Not waking from Sleep, BSOD and then these odd bar lines across the screen at times are the major complaints. it also doesn't boot at times.

to address the BSOD issue, i pulled the Asus EAH5770 out and RMA'd it and am using up to date drivers for the built in Radeon 4290 on the mobo. random BSOD still happens.

i pulled two sticks of RAM re: the not-booting sometimes, even though memtest86 ran overnight and found zero errors, and that random boot failure still happens anyway.

i have a new mobo coming, same one, a replacement Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. what are the odds that that will fix anything ??? i don't know, but it's worth a try. and it's the only hardware issue i haven't tried out except the CPU. if the mobo replacement doesn't work to change anything, it's GOTTA be software (doesn't it?)

woe is my computer !! <smile>

Michael

bigpygme
06-10-2011, 11:12 PM
ok, basically re-built my machine with a new mobo and a new CPU. no BSOD for days now, and it wakes from S3 sleep fine. haven't tried hybrid sleep yet.
i have NOT re-installed the refurb (i assume it's refurb) 5770 video card, yet, amd using on board graphics (which is radeon 4290). if things stay stable i might need to try that. but good news so far.
and that's with SAS on the machine ... so much for M$'s hunch !

thanks for all your support through this.

Michael