PDA

View Full Version : Unable to play Blu-Ray on fresh Windows install

qwertymodo
09-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I just got my first Blu-Ray today (The Avengers, w00t!), but I am unable to play it on my G75. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I did a fresh OEM Windows 7 Pro install, but I did install all of the drivers and utilities from the G75 product page, and I did install the video driver update from a couple weeks back. I have tried playing it in WMP, MPC-HC, and VLC, all of which fail. I have attached a screenshot of the errors. What am I missing?

TSC-Ops
09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
you need codecs or a saftware blu ray player

KiwiG75
09-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Maybe you just don't have a blu-ray player on your model? Mine has played blu-ray discs perfectly since I got it in July.

qwertymodo
09-30-2012, 11:07 PM
I definitely have a BD-ROM drive. I can browse the disc just fine and view all of the files. I have a feeling this is like the XP days when there was no DVD decoder included in Windows and you needed to install Cyberlink PowerDVD which would typically come with your video card drivers. So yes, I probably need a software decoder, but how do I get it? I ordered my laptop with the BD-ROM, so I should have access to the required software, but none of the downloads on the Asus site include the Blu-Ray decoder. My factory installation has been wiped, along with the recovery partition, so that is not an option, nor should it be a requirement to enable a feature for which I have already paid. Please can somebody help me get my hands on the requisite software?

ZeroBarrier
10-01-2012, 12:18 AM
My factory installation has been wiped, along with the recovery partition, so that is not an option, nor should it be a requirement to enable a feature for which I have already paid. Please can somebody help me get my hands on the requisite software?

So let me get this straight. You pay for a working notebook which has working blu-ray playback out of the box; which is exactly what you got when you paid for said notebook. Then go and alter the notebook in a way that breaks the blu-ray playback; and it's not your fault and fully expect for someone at ASUS or even one of the forum members here to bend over backwards and find a solution for you?

Don't answer that question please, it's my attempt to open your eyes to how irrational your post was. Just think about it.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 12:41 AM
I bought a laptop, to which I added a solid state drive. I also own several copies of Windows 7 Professional. I upgraded the drive and the OS. I did not break Blu-Ray playback. Blu-Ray playback requires a licensed Blu-Ray decoder, which I paid for. I am asking for access to the software which I paid for. This is not illogical. If I pay for software, I should be able to reinstall it at a later date. I should not require a factory image in order to obtain a single piece of software which I have purchased.

ZeroBarrier
10-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Never mind, my post clearly went over your head. Carry on.

dstrakele
10-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Try AnyDVD HD or the Roxio CinePlayer that shipped with your laptop.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Never mind, my post clearly went over your head. Carry on.

Nope. I'm just sick of laptops coming with the recovery partitions completely absolving manufacturers of providing the software they factory install separately. I understand exactly what you are saying, and I don't appreciate the condescension. I've been building computers for over half my lifetime. I purchased a laptop that came with software. I want access to the software that I purchased. I don't want to have to spend $80 to re-purchase software I've already purchased. This isn't a Mac forum, don't get all pissy because somebody actually likes to install their own software instead of letting their manufacturer hold their hand through the entire process.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Try AnyDVD HD or the Roxio CinePlayer that shipped with your laptop.

Sounds great. How can I go about activating the license that came with my laptop considering I'm on a fresh Windows installation?

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 01:08 AM
I just got my first Blu-Ray today (The Avengers, w00t!), but I am unable to play it on my G75. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I did a fresh OEM Windows 7 Pro install, but I did install all of the drivers and utilities from the G75 product page, and I did install the video driver update from a couple weeks back. I have tried playing it in WMP, MPC-HC, and VLC, all of which fail. I have attached a screenshot of the errors. What am I missing?

You should have the "Asus Drivers Disk" with your purchase of the G75VW.
just pop the drivers disk in you drive and let it "auto play".
when the program opens select "Sonic DVD Suite", and then click on the start button.
this will install the Roxio CinePlayer.
you just uncheck all other drivers, and utilities you don't want to install.
once you install the "Roxio CinePlayer" you should be good to go with Blu-Ray play.
the install should install all the codecs you should need for playback.

Good luck, and enjoy.

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Sounds great. How can I go about activating the license that came with my laptop considering I'm on a fresh Windows installation?

the install from the driver disk should have the license.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 01:32 AM
You should have the "Asus Drivers Disk" with your purchase of the G75VW.
just pop the drivers disk in you drive and let it "auto play".
when the program opens select "Sonic DVD Suite", and then click on the start button.
this will install the Roxio CinePlayer.
you just uncheck all other drivers, and utilities you don't want to install.
once you install the "Roxio CinePlayer" you should be good to go with Blu-Ray play.
the install should install all the codecs you should need for playback.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Aha. I totally missed the nifty little cubby where they packed that disk away in the original packaging. Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.

Redneck_Randy
10-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Odds are it won't work on a none Asus OS. It will probably detect it's not the Asus OS there for it will not let you install.

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Aha. I totally missed the nifty little cubby where they packed that disk away in the original packaging. Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.

You very much welcome!
Glad I was able to assist you.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Odds are it won't work on a none Asus OS. It will probably detect it's not the Asus OS there for it will not let you install.

Nah, the license is tied to the disk, not the OS. That's how it always was in XP, pre-SP3...ish with DVD decoders. The disk usually came with your graphics card.

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 01:50 AM

should detect the "machine" as being an Asus G75VW.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 02:07 AM
should detect the "machine" as being an Asus G75VW.

That too. IIRC, that's at least part of what the ATK does. I know a lot of the utilities wouldn't install before installing the ATK, saying "this can only be installed on an Asus laptop" or some similar error, then after installing the ATK they worked.

GottiBoi55
10-01-2012, 02:28 AM
That too. IIRC, that's at least part of what the ATK does. I know a lot of the utilities wouldn't install before installing the ATK, saying "this can only be installed on an Asus laptop" or some similar error, then after installing the ATK they worked.

Yes, the "installers" have to detect ,or confirm the machine as being an Asus product before it will install.

Redneck_Randy
10-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Good to know. Thanks By the way, what is ATK ?

TSC-Ops
10-01-2012, 02:47 AM
. some people are asses and dont understand how real people like to clean install.

if you didnt get a app install disc or make on.

you can try http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

otherwise you need a software app

Bundy_Drop_Bear
10-01-2012, 03:04 AM
atk is on the drivers disc, install it and all should work, google atk if ya want to know what it is.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 03:04 AM
It's one of the downloads on the driver page. Not sure what it stands for, but my guess is Asus Tool Kit.

qwertymodo
10-01-2012, 03:11 AM
To be clear, thanks for the tips I found my disc and I am now able to play Blu-Rays just fine now. Continuing the discussion on other topics is fine, but my issue is solved (does this forum have a solved tag?), so I don't need any more suggestions.

ZeroBarrier
10-01-2012, 04:04 AM
some people are asses and dont understand how real people like to clean install.

if you didnt get a app install disc or make on.

you can try http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

otherwise you need a software app

If you quoted me just to call me an ass, your quote failed; and so did your attempt to call me an ass. I run a clean install, but I don't come on forums blaming others for my mistakes. My post apparently went over your head too.