PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off the laptop fan for G55

WontonNoodle
10-03-2012, 08:28 AM
The laptop's fan is always on and it's very annoying and loud. I'm idle and it still makes this loud noise. How do I turn off the fan completely? The fan shouldn't even need to be spinning when I'm idle or typing a document or casually browsing the web. Is this a defect?

EDIT: It's around 50 db. All the time. I saw reviews that say it should be in the 30's.

rewben
10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
could it be dust? g55 should be quiet when we are doing word processing or web browsing.

WontonNoodle
10-04-2012, 01:55 AM
quiet like 30 db? How do I replace the fan filter on the G55? It's different than the G75. I need a definition of 'quiet'.

rewben
10-04-2012, 02:49 AM
my definition of 'quiet' is no sound. i basically don't hear any fan sound from my g55 when i am using ms.word, or browsing the web.

first you can try to blow the vents using strong air (compressed air, blower etc.). i don't know the right way to do that, sorry.

for proper clean-up of the fan parts, you can try a service center. for g55, it's relatively hard to get to the fans, and dis-assembly normally means warranty void.

Redneck_Randy
10-04-2012, 03:26 AM
first you can try to blow the vents using strong air (compressed air, blower etc.). i don't know the right way to do that, sorry.

Not a good idea. Over spinning the cooling fan can and will cause bearing damage.

WontonNoodle
10-04-2012, 03:46 AM
do you mind doing a db check? I just want to know if mine is defected or not cause it's at a constant 50-60 db in a silent room.

rewben
10-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Not a good idea. Over spinning the cooling fan can and will cause bearing damage.

ok please share how you clean up the dust? i would like to do that from time to time too :)

@WontonNoodle, please teach me how to check the db thing hehe.

Myk SilentShadow
10-04-2012, 06:23 AM
ok please share how you clean up the dust? i would like to do that from time to time too :)

@WontonNoodle, please teach me how to check the db thing hehe.

To check Db levels, you'll need a Db Meter.

rewben
10-04-2012, 06:32 AM
ah .. there are some apps at the appstore. many of them so which one should i use?

edit: my surroundings is about 50dB :/

WontonNoodle
10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
yeah that's insanely loud. So is there any way to turn the fan off? This is a real problem.

rewben
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
uh? loud? maybe i am used to it already :)

er.. turning off the fan means you have no cooling for the CPU and GPU. this becomes a bigger problem. i am not sure if that can be done, sorry.

WontonNoodle
10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't need cooling when I'm reading a pdf or typing a document or when I'm idle.

Redneck_Randy
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM

With my G75 I just use a toothpick or screw driver to keep the fan from spinning when I use compressed air to clean it. On the G55 you may have to use a cloth hanger to stick inside the exhaust to keep the fan from over spinning because the G55 from my reading is a PIA to get to the cooling fans but doing it that way only blows the dust bunnies inside the laptop which may cause other problems.

rewben
10-05-2012, 01:38 AM
@ Redneck_Randy, thank you.

yeah for a g55, i am yet to find out the way to clean up the fans myself without voiding warranty :/

currently i guess the only way is to send it over to ASUS service center and hope they can help me on this.

samine
10-07-2012, 12:00 AM
@ Redneck_Randy, thank you.

yeah for a g55, i am yet to find out the way to clean up the fans myself without voiding warranty :/

currently i guess the only way is to send it over to ASUS service center and hope they can help me on this.

i had the same problem with my G53sx for a week or two until today ... i hope will work for u ...
i just went to "msconfig" "advanced boot" change cpu boot from automatic to 4 cores boot ... and the noise disappear and fans turn running at 2600 rpm ... magic

bignazpwns
10-07-2012, 01:32 AM
With my G75 I just use a toothpick or screw driver to keep the fan from spinning when I use compressed air to clean it. On the G55 you may have to use a cloth hanger to stick inside the exhaust to keep the fan from over spinning because the G55 from my reading is a PIA to get to the cooling fans but doing it that way only blows the dust bunnies inside the laptop which may cause other problems.

Yup and doing so is causing that fan to draw way more current then full load and can cause problems ie blowen circuits.

Yes you do need cooling when your idle and reading a PDF. Without active cooling letting the heatsink sit and build up heat will require way more cooling power to bring it down then if it were just at a lower RPM.

Yes you can control the fans on the G55 and G75 and you can disable them via software. However i will not post how to do this as Asus decided that they do not want to allow user's to control system cooling "And i'm with them on this" Your system 's fans are hardly spinning if your reading a PDF or stuff like that. If they are so loud that you need to disable them the fans may be faulty or you have some backround stuff running and ramping that cpu usage up. Messing with a laptops cooling is not somthing you want to do as you can mess up and not have the fanns cooling enought to the point that solder joints heat up and crack and you get a xbox 360 ROD type deal.

rewben
10-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Yup and doing so is causing that fan to draw way more current then full load and can cause problems ie blowen circuits.

i think what Redneck_Randy meant is putting the toothpick in while the laptop is turned off.

bignazpwns
10-07-2012, 02:18 AM
i think what Redneck_Randy meant is putting the toothpick in while the laptop is turned off.

My bad i thought he was doing it to keep it from spinning lol. Dident read it all i was on my phone lol. Sadly i have seen people do that. One of the funny things was when someone attempted to stop a 220 cfm delta at full power in a desktop with their finger. On the upside to that i got to see what bone looks like lol. Its really really white.

WontonNoodle
10-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Yes you do need cooling when your idle and reading a PDF. Without active cooling letting the heatsink sit and build up heat will require way more cooling power to bring it down then if it were just at a lower RPM.

Yes you can control the fans on the G55 and G75 and you can disable them via software. However i will not post how to do this as Asus decided that they do not want to allow user's to control system cooling "And i'm with them on this" Your system 's fans are hardly spinning if your reading a PDF or stuff like that. If they are so loud that you need to disable them the fans may be faulty or you have some backround stuff running and ramping that cpu usage up. Messing with a laptops cooling is not somthing you want to do as you can mess up and not have the fanns cooling enought to the point that solder joints heat up and crack and you get a xbox 360 ROD type deal.

could you PM me how to do it? It makes no sense how my old laptop was silent when reading a pdf/idle and still works to this day. And my old laptop had a graphics card and everything. Fan would turn on when watching videos/playing games but it was absolutely silent when doing everything else. That just doesn't make any sense. I think the culprit is actually the GPU fan, cause my old laptop's CPU fans were always on but they were silent. The G55's gpu fans are always on even when clocks are down and i'm not using it.