PDA

View Full Version : Can't load Intel RAID drivers during Windows 7 Professional Install...any advice?

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Looking for a little advice.

Rampage IV Formula motherboard
BIOS version: 2105 x64 (latest at the time of this writing)
SATA Mode: RAID Mode
2 x 128GB Samsung 830 SSDs detected and configured for RAID 0 (2 drive set) via Intel's RAID configuration utility (<Ctrl>-I)
Windows 7 x64 SP1 Professional loaded on a bootable USB inserted in the ROG USB port
Intel RAID driver also available via USB stick

Windows starts to install, doesn't see the SSD RAID array, and prompts to load drivers. I've tried what I believe are just about every driver known to mankind here, but they all fail to install.

Has anyone out there been able to get past this issue? I've scoured both these forums and the weeb, and tried various configurations, but so far haven't had any luck.

Thanks for your time,

FirstFlyte

cx-ray
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
From the Intel site download the x64 RSTe 3.5.0.1101 F6 drivers. After you load the iaStorA.inf file, you can proceed with installing Windows.

Nodens
10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
In addition to what cx-ray said, make sure you put them either on a usb flash disk on a USB 2 port or a floppy disk.

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 02:23 PM
In addition to what cx-ray said, make sure you put them either on a usb flash disk on a USB 2 port or a floppy disk.

Ummm...what's a 'floppy disk'? :D

Thanks for the responses cx-ray and Nodens.

I'll give this a whirl and report back. I am using a 2nd USB 2 stick for the driver install.

Cheers!

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
No luck.

"The [Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller (C:\RSTe_f6_iaStorA_64bit\iaStorA.inf)] device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated driver."

...msg appears after some sort of time-out I believe, as the green progress bar cycles thru multiple iterations and then the driver install eventually gives up.

Win7 Professional SP1 is on a bootable USB 2 stick inserted into the ROG USB 2 port.
I tried putting the drivers on a separate USB 2 stick, and also on the Windows bootable stick. Neither worked.

Any other options?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe for any assistance provided.

Cheers,

FirstFlyte.

Nodens
10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Try a different driver version. The one before 3.5.0.1101. If that fails as well then there's something wrong with your setup as the driver files read must be corrupted. That could be for a variety of reasons but try using another driver version and if it fails we'll get to that:)

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Try a different driver version. The one before 3.5.0.1101. If that fails as well then there's something wrong with your setup as the driver files read must be corrupted. That could be for a variety of reasons but try using another driver version and if it fails we'll get to that:)

So...I gave the drivers listed in this thread (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1678573#post1038475956) over at hardforum.com a whirl and they worked! (wasn't entirely thrilled that the driver file was a Mediafire download - typically try to stay away from that sort of thing).

Snippet from the txtsetup.oem file:

# Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Intel Corporation
# ************************************************** ************************************************** *
# ************************************************** ************************************************** *
# ** Filename: txtsetup.oem
# ** Revision: 12/02/2011,3.0.0.3011
# ** Abstract: Windows* OEM File for Intel(R)Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise RAIDPort SATA Drivers
#

Regardless, I seem to be much further along now. Thanks very much for the 'try a different driver' suggestion. I'd already tried several, but thought I'd give this one a whirl, and voila! :)

Cheers,

FirstFlyte

ps. the Starting Windows screen is up now...has been for a while. Fingers X'd.

Nodens
10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Glad you sorted it out. Any of the RSTe drivers should be installable on your board though so try installing the latest from Intel after the installation finishes. Get the installer package for this not the F6 one :)

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Glad you sorted it out. Any of the RSTe drivers should be installable on your board though so try installing the latest from Intel after the installation finishes. Get the installer package for this not the F6 one :)

But alas, no success just yet. The Starting Windows screen remains for quite some time, eventually crashing and causing a machine reboot - this in a loop. I will try the other RSTe drivers from here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22raid+drivers%22) and see if that helps any.

Cheers,

FirstFlyte

Nodens
10-15-2012, 06:06 PM
If the Starting Windows remains for extremely long seemingly loading (the animation is not frozen). Turn off Fast Boot in the UEFI.

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
If the Starting Windows remains for extremely long seemingly loading (the animation is not frozen). Turn off Fast Boot in the UEFI.

So, the animation is not frozen, and I turned off Fast Boot, but it still sits at the Starting Windows screen forever.

The number of drivers (older versions) are quite perplexing to me. Not exactly sure what other versions I should be trying. Any ideas?

Cheers, and thanks for your help!

FirstFlyte

Nodens
10-15-2012, 08:58 PM
It's not supposed to give you such a headache. It's supposed to work with every driver version, I suggested using another one just in case there was an issue with that particular version and windows installation. If more than 2 drivers exhibit the same symptoms (which they do), it is safe to assume it's not a driver issue.
A few things to check:
1) Test your RAM with Memtest86.
2) Try installing only 1 RAM module on the D1 slot. See if it makes any difference.
3) Try different SATA cables.
4) Make sure every cable is properly attached.

snout
10-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi,

Looking for a little advice.

Rampage IV Formula motherboard
BIOS version: 2105 x64 (latest at the time of this writing)
SATA Mode: RAID Mode
2 x 128GB Samsung 830 SSDs detected and configured for RAID 0 (2 drive set) via Intel's RAID configuration utility (<Ctrl>-I)
Windows 7 x64 SP1 Professional loaded on a bootable USB inserted in the ROG USB port
Intel RAID driver also available via USB stick

Windows starts to install, doesn't see the SSD RAID array, and prompts to load drivers. I've tried what I believe are just about every driver known to mankind here, but they all fail to install.

Has anyone out there been able to get past this issue? I've scoured both these forums and the weeb, and tried various configurations, but so far haven't had any luck.

Thanks for your time,

FirstFlyte

Ok i see your having problems , i too had similar with my Samsung 830s. Try slipstreaming the drivers ! with this = http://www.rt7lite.com/downloads.html (RT Seven Lite) that's what i used ! Additionally once the whole process / Usb stick has completed, create a separate folder on the same USB stick and add the drivers in again .
This worked for me. It seems that the drivers need to be on the same USB stick for them to work. But like you i was getting really frustrated , so i put them in twice 'lol' once with the slipstream and a separate folder.

FirstFlyte
10-15-2012, 11:19 PM
--- snip ---
1) Test your RAM with Memtest86.

Oooooo...

So I created a bootable USB stick and ran Memtest86+ (I picked this because I wasn't sure how exactly to create a bootable USB stick with Memtest86 on it.)

Set the BIOS target memory frequency to 2400 - my memory is Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 (4 x 4GB) (http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/dominator-platinum-ddr3-memory/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-65v-16-gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd16gx3m4a2400c9.html) for a total of 16GB. Booted from the USB and let the test begin (no mods to the config). This resulted in a whack (thousands) of errors.

I stopped the test and reset the target memory frequency to AUTO. So far no errors. But the current config is the same one that Windows doesn't seem to like.

FirstFlyte
10-16-2012, 01:12 AM
- snip -
2) Try installing only 1 RAM module on the D1 slot. See if it makes any difference.
- snip -

Same result. :(

ps. all 16GB tested ok with Memtest86+ with BIOS on default memory settings. By default I mean I plugged in the memory modules and ran the default memory test suite from Memtest86+.

FirstFlyte
10-16-2012, 01:14 AM
-snip-
It seems that the drivers need to be on the same USB stick for them to work. But like you i was getting really frustrated , so i put them in twice 'lol' once with the slipstream and a separate folder.

Thanks snout. The driver files are indeed on the same USB stick. Still no luck. :(

FirstFlyte
10-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Hey snout, quick question...which driver version did you load?

Nodens
10-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I don't think snout's issue and yours are related. I believe your system is unstable. What is the default SPD values of the RAM? Can you take a screenshot of the RAM settings page and the SPD values?

snout
10-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Hey snout, quick question...which driver version did you load?

3.5.xx something, not at my pc right now, but it was the latest RSTe,
Dont forget to slipstream the drivers too, not just in a folder !! AND just slipstream W7 Without the service pack 1 !!! Keep it clean from all other crap !

FirstFlyte
10-17-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't think snout's issue and yours are related. I believe your system is unstable. What is the default SPD values of the RAM? Can you take a screenshot of the RAM settings page and the SPD values?

Hi Nodens, not sure which page you are referring to when you say 'RAM settings page' but here are some screenshots. This evening I enabled XMP prior to taking these. I also ran MemTest86+ 4.20 again on the full 16GB (4 sticks) with zero errors reported.

FirstFlyte
10-17-2012, 04:44 AM
Yowzers! I has success!

Unfortunately, I practiced a wee bit of 'slot machine management' - made several changes so I'm not exactly sure what fixed my problem.

1. I did enable XMP mode.
2. I used the driver download I found (see post #7 in this thread).
3. I installed from different media (CD vs. original USB attempt).
4. I re-seated all SATA cables.

Anyway, I'm up and cookin' with gas. Many thanks to all respondents for your invaluable help along the way.

Cheers,

FirstFlyte

Nodens
10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
The timings were not matching what was stored in XMP. I'm willing to bet it was the reseating of the SATA cables, the RAM timings or a combination of the two. Glad it's working properly now :)

DummyPLUG
10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
for memtest86+, you need to let it to run for 4~5 cycle before you can say it is stable. (I will let the it run for at least 48hrs, then run the prime95)