PDA

View Full Version : 6Gb/s RAID

mkvtec
06-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi all

Im starting a new thread because i cant find nothing answering on my question

On Rampage III BE there is 2 SATA III ports so i thought i throw 2 that kind of HDD's on it and RAID them. Having that i cant go to RAID manager and MB just see one of HDD. Is it possible to do that kind of configuration?

PS. Everything is set up for Raid in BIOS and two of the HDD are exactly the same.

mkvtec

xeromist
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that you want to see the drives presented as a single drive and they are not, or you want to access the drives individually and you can only see them as a single drive? What RAID level are you trying to set up (RAID 0, RAID 1, etc)?

Z3roSix
06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
I believe the sata 3 does not use the intel controller but another one, i think it can be found "onboard devices configurations" and labeled "Onboard SATA6G Controller" you probably find the setting there, that said i don't know if the onboard controller supports raid.

KILLER_K
06-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Jmicron raid is what you are using. Go into the bios and select, Advanced and then onboard devices.
1) Jmicron controller {raid}
2) Onboard sata6g controller {enable}

Then when you see the jmicron screen hit ctrl +I to go into the setup. Select both drives using the space bar. And then go through each step, they will all be set correctly. Good luck.

mkvtec
06-26-2011, 07:40 PM
KILLER_K there is no options for Jmicron controller in BIOS and sata6g controller is enabled.

mkvtec
06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that you want to see the drives presented as a single drive and they are not, or you want to access the drives individually and you can only see them as a single drive? What RAID level are you trying to set up (RAID 0, RAID 1, etc)?

Hi xeromist THe idea was to buy 2 of SATA6 drives plug them into SATA6 sockets on MB (gray one's) and then put them into RAID0 mode.
I can only put them in to RAID0 config when they are plugged in to normal SATA2 socket.

Raja@ASUS
06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi xeromist THe idea was to buy 2 of SATA6 drives plug them into SATA6 sockets on MB (gray one's) and then put them into RAID0 mode.
I can only put them in to RAID0 config when they are plugged in to normal SATA3 socket.

Hi,

We are still waiting on an updated Marvell OPROM that allows us to incorporate RAID into the current R3E BE BIOS - provided that Marvell come through with the OPROM.

-Raja

kfc
07-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi,

We are still waiting on an updated Marvell OPROM that allows us to incorporate RAID into the current R3E BE BIOS - provided that Marvell come through with the OPROM.

-Raja

Hey is there a time frame of the new BIOS?

with friendly greetings

ppdrx2
07-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Hi,

-Raja

Hey is there a time frame of the new BIOS?

Hi,

I too am interested in setting up a 6GB/s RAID0 partition. Can we get any confirmation as to whether Marvell are actually working on this?

Thank you in advance.

Raja@ASUS
07-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Hi Folks

We will ask Marvell for a timeline on the FW if possible. When I get some news I will update this thread.

-Raja

ppdrx2
07-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi Folks

We will ask Marvell for a timeline on the FW if possible. When I get some news I will update this thread.

-Raja

Thanks Raja, much appreciated.

kfc
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Folks

-Raja

Sounds Great ! ;) look forward to hear from you ...

TrickMasterPC
07-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Folks

-Raja

Yes, please do update this post to let us know! We want RAID functionality on the Marvell 88SE9182 SATA III Controller!

I upgraded from the Rampage II Extreme to the Rampage III Extreme and was sadly disappointed to find that the Marvell 9128 Controller was a piece of junk when running RAID0 (Huge waste of money $380). I just bought the Rampage III Black Edition specifically to take advantage of the PCI-e 2x Marvell 9182 controller. Based on all of the reviews of this controller I was extremely stoked to RAID0 my OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS drives.

I have a water cooling system with Dual GTX590's so to swap out motherboards takes about 8 hours of work. I finally booted Rampage III Black Edition today with both of my OCZ drives on the SATA III ports. After many hours of attempting to enter the Marvell RAID utility post BIOS screen, I called up ASUS Technical Support. I was on hold for ever and they kept hanging up on me, so I just gave up on ASUS Phone Support (horrible BTW). I spent a few more hours searching Google for the answer, and then I found this thread. I REALLY honest to GOD hope that RAID functionality is released in the next BIOS update for this motherboard. If not I will have yet again wasted another $600, that's damn near $1000 wasted on ASUS motherboards attempting to to achieve true SATA III speeds using RAID0 on the SATA III Controller.

Also, ASUS keep it in mind that your competitors are offering x58 Motherboards with nearly the same specs running the Marvell 88SE9182 SATA III Controller and they all have SATA III RAID functionality out of the box! It just blows my mind that this functionality didn't ship with the board and that the information wasn't disclosed in the specifications for the motherboard.

Thanks Guys! Here's to keeping our fingers crossed that a BIOS update with this functionality is released soon! My $8000 PC is currently a paper-weight.

Search Engine Query Tags:
- Rampage III Black Edition, I can't seem to enter the Marvell Raid configuration utility
- Ctrl + M is not allowing me to enter the Marvell Raid configuration utility
- Rampage III Black Edition, Marvell Raid Configuration. It tells me to hit <Space> to proceed, but does not allow me to enter the raid configuration
- How do I configure SATA III Raid0 on the ASUS Rampage III Black Edition
- Where is the SATA III RAID configuration for the ASUS Rampage III Black Edition

Idonno
07-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Sata 6GB/sec sounds great but unfortunately The Intel Sata 3GB/sec is faster in Raid. The Marvell Sata 6GB/sec seems like it's still beta to me. It does not work like a finished product should. Another thing to consider is that the only hard drives capable of using Sata 6GB/sec speeds (with the exception of maybe the cache) are some of the newer SSD's and again your still stuck with the fact that in raid 0 they are still faster on the Sata II ports, So all the advantages of buying fast and rather expensive Sata III SSD's are lost.

At this point in time [with the exception of REVO] if you want really fast hard drives, Sata II SSD's in raid 0 on the Sata II ports are your best bet. I have 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 And I get a read speed of 549MB/sec and a write speed of 534MB/sec.

I use the Marvell Sata III ports for my optical drives only. There is a driver/Firmware update for the Marvell 9128 Controller however it doesn't address the poor raid performance.

If anyone wants the update it's here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

FYI this isn't just an Asus problem. All the other MB manufacturers have the same issue with the X58 chipset and the Marvell Sata III ports. Marvell's Sata III ports just aren't ready for raid yet.

Idonno
07-16-2011, 03:08 AM
I Just found this posted on the Intel forum:

"In this case, the Marvell chip used by all existing X58 boards with SATA3 has only been designed by Marvell to use a single lane. I'm not aware of any alternatives that would be better - it's not like Marvell also offers an x4 option or something.

So it's a technical limitation - it's just a poorly performing design shared by all X58 boards. The only worthwhile SATA3 controllers are the new chipset-based ones (like the Intel one on the P67), or PCIe cards that use an x4 or x8 interface.

Now, 350MB/sec reads (for one port) is still faster than the ~260MB/sec that SATA2 tops out at, but because the Marvell goes through additional interfaces it's slower performing in almost all other performance indicators than the ICH10R's SATA2 ports, so in the end the benchmark performance improvement is a wash... and for almost all real world performance situations the ICH10R wins out."

Full Thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/19714?start=0&tstart=0

If this is true and I believe it is, the Marvell Sata III ports with the X58 chipset will never be useful for Raid 0.

MY SOLUTION ?

2 - optical drives on the Marvell Sata III ports.
2 - Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 on the Intel Sata II ports, read speed 549MB/sec, write speed of 534MB/sec.
4 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 on the remainder of the Intel Sata II ports, read speed 386MB/sec, write speed of 341MB/sec [Max] complete specs here [http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20101212103013900&board_id=1&model=Rampage+III+Formula&SLanguage=en-us&page=4]

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

There are other solutions as well like a good PCIe Sata III raid card, a REVO drive or even 3 (or more) - Sata II SSD's in raid 0. All these solutions will turn your $8,000 paper weight into the killer PC it's destined to be. Good luck!

TrickMasterPC
07-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Idonno, you are right the a RAID0 on the Intel SATA II Controller is faster, but it is only faster if your are comparing it to the Marvell 88SE9128 SATA III Controller. The 9128 controller found on the Rampage III Extreme has a one lane PCIe bus with a maximum throughput capacity of 5Gb/s which is roughly 600MB/s. So to run two SATA III drives on this controller would net you roughly SATA II speeds. When you use the ATTO disk benchmark application it appears that your speeds are a little less than SATA II RAID0 speeds. This is partly related to the maximum stripe size supported by the 9128 controller is only 64KB. The standard stripe used by most people is 128KB.

Now, with that being said the Rampage III Black Edition features Marvell's latest SATA III integrated controller the Marvell 88SE9182 Controller. This controller has a two lane PCIe bus with a maximum throughput capacity of 10Gb/s each lane running at 5Gb/s which would net you roughly 1200MB/s data rates. The GIGABYTE G1.Assassin motherboard is one of the very few motherboards on the market which also features the 9182 controller. I have seen many benchmark results of the controller's performance metrics. Here's a bench of two 120GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS drives running in RAID0 on the Marvell 88SE9182 Controller on the G1.Assassin Motherboard:
http://img.techpowerup.org/110503/Atto%20SSD%20RAID.jpg

GIGABYTE has the 9182 firmware and all of the drivers posted to their website. The Assassin G1 board shipped with SATA III RAID functionality. The Rampage III Black Edition doesn't have the right firmware for the 9182 controller to enable RAID as of yet. We're all still waiting. I think ASUS (the power-house that they are) needs to flex a little muscle and lay the smack down with Marvell. Straight-up light some fires under Marvell's ass to roll this firmware out for us, especially after spending such an obscene amount of money. Sure the board comes with a some audio/nic card, but it's garbage. No 5.1 channel, no xram, and all bench tests of the nic compared to the intel nic show the exact same performance. We're paying the additional money for the Black Edition exclusively for the 9182 controller.

With regard to setting up my RAID0 on the Intel Sata II controller. I don't want to install my operating system and all my apps, games and updates, then have to reformat again when the firmware comes out. It's a waste of time. No to mention that I have to call Microsoft every time I re-install windows 7 or office 2010. Now, with that being said, if ASUS doesn't release a BIOS within 2-3 weeks I may just have to set-up my RAID on the Intel SATA II ports. I can't go more than 1 month without a desktop PC. My laptop is a piece and hurts my wrists.

COME ON ASUS!!! Your last ROM update was in March that was 4 months ago!!! You wanna sell more Black Edition Motherboards?? Better escalate the situation and start talking to some VP's at Marvell. They could provide you with the firmware in one week if you put the pressure on. Another week to release it on support.asus.com with a ROM udpate.

Idonno
07-17-2011, 10:24 PM
GREAT Benchmarks! I can see why you would want that firmware on your Black Edition's Marvell controllers and I didn't know that the Black Edition's Marvell controllers were different. Thanks for the info

TrickMasterPC
07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Are you tired of waiting around for ASUS to help out their customers? I took the liberty of helping out all of us Black Edition owners by assembling this post:

The ASUS Rampage III Black Edition BIOS version 0501 can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t5ef3v45u9yb94e

Some items to note:
- The ASUS Rampage III Black Edition 0501 BIOS (http://www.mediafire.com/?t5ef3v45u9yb94e) (leaked) DOES allow you to enter the RAID configuration utility for your Marvell 88SE9182 controller (GOOD)
- The RAID options on the Marvell 88SE9182 controller include: RAID 0,1 ** Stripe Sizes of: 32KB, 64KB, 128KB ** Write Back Cache On/Off (recommend on for 5-10%higher performance) (GOOD)
- 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS speeds on the 0501 BIOS running Marvell 88SE91xx driver 1.2.0.1003 WHQL (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm) are max 750MB/s Read and Write (NOT BAD)
- The 0501 BIOS runs perfectly stable on stock clock speeds. When I try to use the previous overclock settings which worked on my Rampage III Extreme the system (on boot up) sometimes messages "Overclocking Failed" (NOT BAD)
- Hopefully, once Marvell provides ASUS with an updated firmware image for 9182 controller and a set of appropriate drivers we will see the true speed potential which should be around 1000MB/s Read and Write on the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS drives.

Have the OCZ Vertex or Agility 3 Series SSDs?:
1) Upgrade your OCZ drive firmware to version 2.09
- Unfortunately, the only way to do this right now is using the Bootable USB stick method. The updater application on OCZ's website will only update to version 2.08 (even though it says 2.38-2.09, it's not the case).
- Follow these instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?89670-Bootable-Tools-for-OCZ-Vertex2-3-Agility2-3-Solid3-Revo-and-Ibis-SSD-s&p=652679&viewfull=1#post652679
- Your drives will appear during windows install after you load the RAID driver found here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm The driver file is located in the Floppy 64 folder.

2) RAID Drives for your Marvell 9182 Controller:
Since ASUS has no Marvell 9182 RAID drives and RAID software on their website yet for the Rampage III Black Edition, you can download them from Gigabit's website. The Gigabit G1.Assassin has the same 9182 controller as the Rampage III Black Edition, so this will work for you (it worked for me perfectly): http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3752&dl=1#dl

I performed all of the steps as outline above and was able to install Windows 7 Professional an all updates without any problems. I ran the Intel Burning Test and passed with flying colors. I also ran the ATTO disk benchmark application and was pretty happy with the results (screen shot coming tonight). Basically I was able to achieve 750MB/s Read and Write. A huge improvement in RAID0 speeds over the 9128 controller and over using Intel's onboard SATA II controller which maxed out at 550MB/s Read and Write.

Area 66
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi,

-Raja

How come Marvell make one for Giga and not for Asus ?

TrickMasterPC
07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Gigabyte probably engaged with Marvell in the development cycle of the G1.Assassin before ASUS did, so Marvell is laggin behind on this one, or ASUS is lagging and just not letting it be known.

Praz
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
- Unfortunately, the only way to do this right now is using the Bootable USB stick method. The updater application on OCZ's website will only update to version 2.08 (even though it says 2.38-2.09, it's not the case).
Not sure why you had an issue. 2.38-2.09 updates the drives to v2.09 just fine.

TrickMasterPC
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it did work at some point, but recently they removed 2.09 from the server and updated this post stating that 2.08 was put back into production: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?90191-FW-2.09-is-live-Instructions-on-how-to-update-your-Vertex3-Agility3-Solid3-SSD-s...Update-ONLY-flash-this-FW-if-you-have-issues-with-other-FW.

When did you update to 2.09 using the 2.38-2.09 application? It did not work for me starting on Thursday 7-14-2011

Praz
07-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, it did work at some point, but recently they removed 2.09 from the server and updated this post stating that 2.08 was put back into production: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?90191-FW-2.09-is-live-Instructions-on-how-to-update-your-Vertex3-Agility3-Solid3-SSD-s...Update-ONLY-flash-this-FW-if-you-have-issues-with-other-FW.
That is correct. As the first post states that you linked to using the normal Toolbox will only flash the drive to v2.08. That is why we posted the link for Toolbox 2.38_2.09. It updates the drive to v2.09 regardless of the current version of firmware. Post #5 in the link below.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?79667-OCZ-Windows-Toolbox-for-Vertex2-3-Agility2-3-and-Solid3-SSD-s

Brandon980X
07-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Onboard sata 3 raid might be my only option. Will try and see what the new bios does. Does anyone have a sata 3 pci-e raid card working on the BE, my LSI 9265 has been a paper weight. Very disappointed that such an expensive board doesn't have support for hardware raid.

sephirex
07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Are you tired of waiting around for ASUS to help out their customers? I took the liberty of helping out all of us Black Edition owners by assembling this post:

The ASUS Rampage III Black Edition BIOS version 0501 can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t5ef3v45u9yb94e

Some items to note:
- The ASUS Rampage III Black Edition 0501 BIOS (http://www.mediafire.com/?t5ef3v45u9yb94e) (leaked) DOES allow you to enter the RAID configuration utility for your Marvell 88SE9182 controller (GOOD)
- The RAID options on the Marvell 88SE9182 controller include: RAID 0,1 ** Stripe Sizes of: 32KB, 64KB, 128KB ** Write Back Cache On/Off (recommend on for 5-10%higher performance) (GOOD)
- 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS speeds on the 0501 BIOS running Marvell 88SE91xx driver 1.2.0.1003 WHQL (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm) are max 750MB/s Read and Write (NOT BAD)
- The 0501 BIOS runs perfectly stable on stock clock speeds. When I try to use the previous overclock settings which worked on my Rampage III Extreme the system (on boot up) sometimes messages "Overclocking Failed" (NOT BAD)
- Hopefully, once Marvell provides ASUS with an updated firmware image for 9182 controller and a set of appropriate drivers we will see the true speed potential which should be around 1000MB/s Read and Write on the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS drives.

Have the OCZ Vertex or Agility 3 Series SSDs?:
- Follow these instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?89670-Bootable-Tools-for-OCZ-Vertex2-3-Agility2-3-Solid3-Revo-and-Ibis-SSD-s&p=652679&viewfull=1#post652679
- Your drives will appear during windows install after you load the RAID driver found here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm The driver file is located in the Floppy 64 folder.

2) RAID Drives for your Marvell 9182 Controller:
Since ASUS has no Marvell 9182 RAID drives and RAID software on their website yet for the Rampage III Black Edition, you can download them from Gigabit's website. The Gigabit G1.Assassin has the same 9182 controller as the Rampage III Black Edition, so this will work for you (it worked for me perfectly): http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3752&dl=1#dl

I performed all of the steps as outline above and was able to install Windows 7 Professional an all updates without any problems. I ran the Intel Burning Test and passed with flying colors. I also ran the ATTO disk benchmark application and was pretty happy with the results (screen shot coming tonight). Basically I was able to achieve 750MB/s Read and Write. A huge improvement in RAID0 speeds over the 9128 controller and over using Intel's onboard SATA II controller which maxed out at 550MB/s Read and Write.

Hi, I currently have a R3BE and after flashing to 0501 I am able to create a RAID array (two Crucial M4s), however, when installing windows (it goes to about 2~3% then stops), I get a 0x8007048F error and it says files cannot be read.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction between the RAID driver (the ones I downloaded from station-drivers, also the ones I have to loadup during windows installer for it to recognize the drives), and the other RAID driver which you mentioned that you downloaded from the gigabyte.us website.

Thanks in advance. Your guide was a great help anyways.

TrickMasterPC
07-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Let's try some of the simple solutions first:
1) Are both of your Crucial SSD exactly the same model and size?
2) Do you have the latest firmware updates for your drives?
3) Are you using SATA 6Gb/s SATA III Cables? Some drives have issues unless you use a SATA III rated cable. If you are using SATA III rated cables have you tried swapping out the cables with new ones?
4) Is your power supply in excellent condition and delivering enough stable power?
5) The SATA III Controller should be set to RAID, the Jmicron eSATA and Intel SATA II Controllers should be set to AHCI
6) Use the Marvell Raid driver found here: Marvell 88SE91xx driver 1.2.0.1003 WHQL (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm) When you browse for the driver it's in the Floppy 64 folder. Ensure that you are not diving into one of the AMD folders.
7) After the RAID0 is recognized by Windows, click on "Drive options (advanced)". Then click on "New" to create your new system partition. It should make a 100MB partition and the rest will be allocated for your system C drive. The system reserved 100MB much exist or Windows will fail install every time.

If these steps do not work, then your SSD's could have a firmware issue. The OCZ Vertex 3 drives that I have would not work at all when they had firmware version 2.08 installed. After I flashed the drives to 2.09 they immediately were recognized by Windows after loading the RAID driver. It just goes to show that SSD firmware can make or break compatibility. You can try to test whether the drives are valid by hooking them up on the Intel SATA II ports and doing a Windows Install. If that works, then it's a Marvell RAID driver issue specific to your SSD's and the driver.

Also, I am happy to report 100% system stability under overclock using the 0501 BIOS. I haven't had a single issue. SSD performance has been stellar as well

fg1981
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone!

Which values in RAID options on the Marvell 88SE9182 controller are prefer to use (I mean Stripe Size, Write Back Cache ) for 2x Vertex-3 in RAID0? Thanks

TrickMasterPC
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
- The RAID options on the Marvell 88SE9182 controller include: RAID 0,1 ** Stripe Sizes of: 32KB, 64KB, 128KB ** (recommend 128KB for better overall performance 2-4% better than 64KB stripe) Write Back Cache On/Off (recommend ON for 5-10% higher performance)

RaptorX86
08-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a Gigabyte X58A-OC, with Marvell 9182 controller ... Looking at the result I wanted to take another Vertex 3 But I have not had the same results of this test. Why? I go up to 700 MB / s

"stripe" used in this test? The drivers used? thanks

By chance, have used the 1.2.0.1002 drivers? And Marvell's Storage Utility 4.1.0.1915 driver?

TrickMasterPC
08-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Update your Vertex-3 firmware (http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Vertex_3_Max_IOPS,_Agility_3,_Solid_ 3_and_RevoDrive_3_Series/) to the latest version. As of today that version is 2.11

Next use the Marvel driver version 1003 found on Intel's Website (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3381&DwnldID=20297&OSFullname=Windows+7%2C+32-bit*&lang=eng)

Get a copy of Diskeeper 2011 Professional with Hyperfast and "Optimize" your drive. Then run the test. You should see around 500-550MB/s on a single drive. Two drives in RAID0 will net you 780MB/s on the 0501 BIOS and driver 1003.

sisco
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello all, I apologize for my bad English, but I wanted to point out that ASUS, the department dowunload, has already made ​​available some time, a driver for the Marvel 9182 raid mounted on Mainboard Maximus IV Extreme Z, by downloading the latest revision of manual describes how to set the 9182 raid bios mode, just on page 118 of 196, by the same manual can also verify that the mainboard is powered by the same controller rampage black edition.
I would like to know the reason for this behavior to us, maybe our money worth less?

denrus
11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Dear ROG community,

It seems like I need your professional help.

I have some doubts about my SSD RAID0 (2x Crucial 4M 64GB).
For the first time I decided to make a RAID0 i connected my SSDs to SATA3 (MARVELL). Fresh install, AS SSD Benchmark showed following results: R ~360MB/s W 70MB/s. After applying the latest SATA Driver from ASUS (Marvell 9128 Controller Driver Disk for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7. Version 1.0.0.1034) i had: R ~370MB/s W 190MB/s. Though it fixed the Write speeds I would like to point out that these speeds seem to be unstable, jumping from 190MB/s to 120MB/s and back.

Figuring out that SATA3 MARVELL was not the best solution I decided to switch to Intel SATA2. Fresh install, AS SSD Benchmark showed following results: R ~517MB/s W ~205MB/s.
I'd be happy to leave it as it is atm, but I still hope to get a 500MB/s + speed with RAID0. According to Crucial community's results such RAID0 can do an insane R 1000MB/s.

Is there any solution to "Fix" Marvell SATA3?

I have latest MB BIOS (0903) and latest SSD FW (009)

I would appreciate any help!

Kind regards,

Den

drtharryt
02-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Idonno, you are right the a RAID0 on the Intel SATA II Controller is faster, but it is only faster if your are comparing it to the Marvell 88SE9128 SATA III Controller. The 9128 controller found on the Rampage III Extreme has a one lane PCIe bus with a maximum throughput capacity of 5Gb/s which is roughly 600MB/s. So to run two SATA III drives on this controller would net you roughly SATA II speeds. When you use the ATTO disk benchmark application it appears that your speeds are a little less than SATA II RAID0 speeds. This is partly related to the maximum stripe size supported by the 9128 controller is only 64KB. The standard stripe used by most people is 128KB.

Now, with that being said the Rampage III Black Edition features Marvell's latest SATA III integrated controller the Marvell 88SE9182 Controller. This controller has a two lane PCIe bus with a maximum throughput capacity of 10Gb/s each lane running at 5Gb/s which would net you roughly 1200MB/s data rates. The GIGABYTE G1.Assassin motherboard is one of the very few motherboards on the market which also features the 9182 controller. I have seen many benchmark results of the controller's performance metrics. Here's a bench of two 120GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS drives running in RAID0 on the Marvell 88SE9182 Controller on the G1.Assassin Motherboard:
http://img.techpowerup.org/110503/Atto%20SSD%20RAID.jpg

GIGABYTE has the 9182 firmware and all of the drivers posted to their website. The Assassin G1 board shipped with SATA III RAID functionality. The Rampage III Black Edition doesn't have the right firmware for the 9182 controller to enable RAID as of yet. We're all still waiting. I think ASUS (the power-house that they are) needs to flex a little muscle and lay the smack down with Marvell. Straight-up light some fires under Marvell's ass to roll this firmware out for us, especially after spending such an obscene amount of money. Sure the board comes with a some audio/nic card, but it's garbage. No 5.1 channel, no xram, and all bench tests of the nic compared to the intel nic show the exact same performance. We're paying the additional money for the Black Edition exclusively for the 9182 controller.

With regard to setting up my RAID0 on the Intel Sata II controller. I don't want to install my operating system and all my apps, games and updates, then have to reformat again when the firmware comes out. It's a waste of time. No to mention that I have to call Microsoft every time I re-install windows 7 or office 2010. Now, with that being said, if ASUS doesn't release a BIOS within 2-3 weeks I may just have to set-up my RAID on the Intel SATA II ports. I can't go more than 1 month without a desktop PC. My laptop is a piece and hurts my wrists.

COME ON ASUS!!! Your last ROM update was in March that was 4 months ago!!! You wanna sell more Black Edition Motherboards?? Better escalate the situation and start talking to some VP's at Marvell. They could provide you with the firmware in one week if you put the pressure on. Another week to release it on support.asus.com with a ROM udpate.

I too was looking to raid a couple of 500 mb/s + drives on SATA III (6Gb/s) X58 platform. I is nice to see the benchmarks of the Gigabyte G1.Assassin working on the crappy Marvell controller. I purchaced a I7 965EX for $1000 2 years ago and am absolutely not willing to go to another platform that supports native SATA III, for those that have already purchaced a Rampage BE you might try as I have heard on other forums to use the Gigabyte drivers from thier site. Unless it is mandatory for there to be a Bios firmware update for the Marvell controller?