PDA

View Full Version : Sabertooth Z87 - Bios Clock Issue

Krait
08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
The basic problem is that the clock in the UEFI bios stops working on a regular basis.

I can remove the battery and it will restart (at least for a day or two) but it always stops again - I've tried 4 different batteries and the longest that the clock continued to work was 8 days.
It's only the clock that doesn't work (at least as far as I know) - all the other bios settings stay the same (except when resetting cmos ofc)
I've tried it at stock and OC'ed and it still persists in stopping, I've also tried using my older PSU (Seasonic 860 xp1) and the same result.

I suppose it's either a bios problem (bios 1205) or a MB fault but if anyone has a suggestion for me to try, in case it's neither of these, it would be most welcome.
:)

Andydigital
08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I know this isn't the correct forum section to post in but the topic is relevant. I have the exact same problem with a Maximus 6 Extreme, bios version 711. Everything seems to work OK but the clock in the BIOS is frozen at whatever time windows set it to when closing down the PC. I first notice the problem when waking up from sleep and find out that the time froze at what ever time I put the PC to sleep. Time starts moving again in windows as you wake the PC but the clock will only carry on from where it left off when put to sleep. Clearing the BIOS and reloading my profile starts the clock moving again in the BIOS but it only lasts for a few days then does it again. I've not figured out what triggers it yet, but it certainly isn't a flat battery, I tried changing it.

Raja@ASUS
08-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Re-flash the latest UEFI, and clear CMOS with the board in standby (this will reset the management engine). See if that helps.

-Raja

RXweasel
08-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Hello Raja,

I have the exact same problem. I'd appreciate if you can suggest a solution to this problem. My RTC clock fails, too, after a few days or a week of regular use. I haven't been able to track down any trigger, either. The symptoms are:
-in BIOS screen (easy mode) the clock is stopped; if it is running, RTC is fine
-at every bootup the clock is reset to the time when it failed (until RTC is reset by unplugging PSU and triggering RTC reset with jumper on motherboard)
-the clock seems to fail at the time of Windows shutdown or overclock system bluescreen; or possibly it fails at startup of the system, one or the other of those two; I never noticed it to fail during use, the frozen RTC time is always a prior shutdown or reboot time
-stock clock, overclock, crashing overclock... can't see any difference
-when failed, the system resets the time to the original time of failure even after setting the time in Windows and properly shutting down / rebooting; therefore windows is not able to write the current time to RTC at shutdown when clock is stopped; when RTC is still running, Windows can either update it at shutdown or the RTC has been running in the background so it knows what time it is after shutdown
-battery has nothing to do with the problem (switched it twice)
-BIOS update to 1205 (the latest) had no effect
-resetting default BIOS settings has no effect, it does not restart the RTC clock

Hope this helps to track this down. The motherboard is excellent except for this problem. I can't use warranty to have it replaced because I bought it in USA and now I am in Europe. The current workaround I'm looking for is to try to develop a script or registry command to run clock sync to a time server at startup.

Best regards.

Praz
08-20-2013, 11:18 PM
-BIOS update to 1205 (the latest) had no effect
Did you reflash the UEFI and then clear the CMOS with standby power applied as Raja wrote above?

RXweasel
08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Ok I will try that and report back here if succesful. I understand that "with standby power applied" means that I should clear the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard without turning off the PSU from the mechanical switch. Is that correct?

Praz
08-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Ok I will try that and report back here if succesful. I understand that "with standby power applied" means that I should clear the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard without turning off the PSU from the mechanical switch. Is that correct?
Yes. Power supply on but the system off.

RXweasel
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Roger. Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try and will report after some days when I can be sure whether reflashing helped.

Praz
08-20-2013, 11:44 PM
You're welcome. :)

HiVizMan
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM
OP please confirm that the fix provided by Raja resolved your issue :)

Krait
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
The problem seems to have gone now. :)

I re-downloaded the bios, but I used the second mirror (the date of the bios was 2 days later, if I remember correctly) - not sure if that made any difference. I then cleared cmos as usual and flashed the bios with the flashback facility.
It's now been working perfectly for about 3 weeks.

Raja@ASUS
08-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Very good. The CMOS clear with the board in "standby" state after the flash is the key here I suspect.

RXweasel
08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Promised to report here... my RTC has not stopped yet and it's been over a week. It seems likely that either the re-flash or the standby-CMOS-reset was the solution. Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll let you know if the BIOS clock stop failure occurs again.

Praz
08-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Promised to report here... my RTC has not stopped yet and it's been over a week. It seems likely that either the re-flash or the standby-CMOS-reset was the solution. Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll let you know if the BIOS clock stop failure occurs again.
Thanks for the update. :)

tra67
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Hello Raja,

I'm new to this forum and I'm following this issue here for a while.

I have the same problem with the freezing BIOS clock with the Z87-Pro. I own this Z87-Pro since two months and during this time my clock stopped about 8 times.

I applied your fix several times. Each time reflashing newest UEFI (meanwhile 1405) and clearing CMOS in standby. This starts the clock, but the error reoccurs on my system. The time span until this happens varies from 24h to 14 days.

Thus I cannot confirm that the fix is resolving the problem for me. I would be glad, if you could investigate this topic further.

My spec:
- Asus Z87-Pro
- Intel 4670K
- Gigabyte GTX 760
- PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Best regards

Raja@ASUS
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM
How is the system setup - what else are you doing in UEFI?

tra67
10-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Hello Raja,

I apply the following changes to the standard settings:

AI Overclock Tuner: Auto -> XMP

CPU Core Ratio: Auto-> Per Core
Core 1-4: Auto -> 42
CPU Core Voltage: Auto -> Adaptive
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: Auto -> 1,110V

DRAM Frequency: Auto -> DDR3-1600
DRAM Voltage: Auto -> 1.5V
DRAM CAS: Auto -> 9
DRAM RAS: Auto -> 9
DRAM RAS Pre: Auto -> 9
DRAM ACT: Auto -> 24
DRAM Command: Auto -> 2

Intel xHCI Mode: SmartAuto -> Enabled

ErP Ready: Disabeled -> Enabled S4+S5

CPU Fan Speed 600 -> 300
Chassis Fan Speed 1-4: 600 -> 300

USB Support: Partial Initialisation -> Full Initialisation

Reasons for these Settings:

1) Problems with late initialisation of USB Mouse -> solved by Full Initialisation
2) Occasional wake up by WLan from Power off -> solved by ErP Enabled
3) After shutdown in Windows 7 (64) the computer turns off, but the Power LED sometimes remains illuminated -> not solved yet

By the way: When turning of my Computer I physically disconnect it from power by a switch after complete shutdown.

Best regards.

Raja@ASUS
10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
A few things:

1) Do not apply any overclock to the system for now. Run the CPU at total stock.

2) Check the CMOS battery is not "flat"/drained. Try a replacement battery if you have one.

3) What is the memory kit part number and how many modules do you have?

tra67
10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
1) I run the CPU at total stock now.
2) I replaced the CMOS battery, reflashed the BIOS (1405) and reset the CMOS on standby.
3) Memory: 8GB G.Skill RipjawX, 2*4GB, Part No: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (DDR3-1600-CL 9-9-9-24 1,5V PC3-12800 4Gx2 Intel XMP ready)

It seems, like the clock stops when booting the system (the frozen clock shows the same time like the last system boot in the Windows log file).

I will run my system with these settings now and will report what's happening.

tra67
10-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Hello Raja,

the clock stopped today again (with the new CMOS Battery insatlled and the CPU at stock).

It happened 26h after reset, 22h after the last power off, 4th power on after reset.

The frozen time was about 5 to 10 seconds after the time of pressing the power button.

trancefreak
10-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys this solved my issue on an ASUS SABERTOOTH z87 as well. I updated from bios 1007 to 1405. i followed the instructions here to the letter and I have been good for a week. Before the clock would change so randomly everyday. Much respect thanks. :cool:

Raja@ASUS
10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Hello Raja,

the clock stopped today again (with the new CMOS Battery insatlled and the CPU at stock).

It happened 26h after reset, 22h after the last power off, 4th power on after reset.

The frozen time was about 5 to 10 seconds after the time of pressing the power button.

This is bizarre. Your system is outsid the "norm" for these issues. Can you try a single memory module for a few days with the settings I gave you earlier (no-OC). If it keeps happening, flash UEFI one last time using USB BIOS flashback and try again. If it still does it, you might need to RMA that board. I can't help you any more than this with the RMA stuff as you are located outside my region.

tra67
10-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Hello Raja,

thank you for yout help.

I did some further research when the clock stops exactly. Compared to a synchronized outside clock ist stopped repeatedly 10s after pressing the power button, that's when the board goes through code 64. Might this give a hint where to search for the bug?

Concerning RMA I just learned from my local dealer, that RMA will take 3 to 4 weeks in Europe.
Since I'm not fully convinced yet, that changing the board will solve the issue, I decided to do some further investigation first.

Starting with the suggestions from your last post (one bar of RAM, USB BIOS flashback), I will also investigate the influence of unplugging the PSU after each shutdown, the influence of the ERP Ready Enabled and the Fast Boot option, since I think these are my main differences towards the "common" use of others.

I will report my observations (may take a while due to the nature of the bug).

Regards

Raja@ASUS
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
okay no probs.

As for the POST code is it 64 or b4? If its the former, try removing any extra USB devices etc from the board and see if that makes a diff. Might be worth listing all components plugged into the board at this point.

tra67
10-08-2013, 01:30 PM
So the POST code is b4, not 64 - didn't think of that. Does that also give a hint?

Raja@ASUS
10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Somewhere in the training process (off the op of my head). Would try bare minimum components and see if you can keep replicating as you remove devices one by one. Would go down to one DRAM module, minimal USB devices etc.

A comprehensive parts list is deffo recommended at this point...

tra67
10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I have more results now:

- 1 memory bar in slot A1: clock stopped after 18h
- USB BIOS flashback, then CMOS reset on standby: clock stopped after 20h

I’ll go on now with the minimized system on default settings:

Hardware:
- PSU now permanently connected to power
- Brand new Bios Battery (3,23V)
- All plugs on mainboard disconnected and reconnected
- 1 bar of Memory in slot A2 (4GB G.Skill RipjawX, Part No: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
- UEFI at “optimized default”, except minimum fan rpm (300)
- All usb unplugged, except Microsoft USB-Mouse
- USB2 / USB3 from casing disconnected from board

Software:
- AI Suite uninstalled
- Intel Rapid Storage uninstalled
- Intel Management Engine Interface uninstalled

So, the system consists of (comprehensive parts list):
Hardware:
- Mainboard: Z87-Pro
- I5 4670K with Noctua NH-D14, fans connected to mainboard (CPU_FAN + CPU_OPT)
- PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W
- Graphics: Gigabyte GTX760 OC on PCIEX16_1
- SATA 6G_1: SSD Samsung 840 Pro, 256GB
- SATA 6G_2:HDD WD Green 1 TB
- SATA 6G_3: BR-Drive LGBH16NS40
- SATA 6G_4:DVD LGGH24NS95
- 4 casing fans on mainboard connectors
- EPU: off, TPU: off
- PS2 Keyboard
- USB3 (AS-Media, KBMS_USB3_E34): Microsoft Mouse
- Wifi Antenna

UEFI:
- Rev 1405, installed by USB BIOS flashback
- At optimized defaults (F5) except fan min rpm set to 300

Driver (Windows 7 64, updated to newest versions from ASUS homepage):
- Chipset: Intel Chipset Driver V9.4.0.1017
- Audio: Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6853
- Onboard Graphics: Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V9.18.10.3186
- LAN: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V18.1.59.0
- USB: Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver V2.5.0.19
- WLAN: Wi-Fi Driver V10.0.0.216
- BT: ASUS Bluetooth4.0 Wi-Fi Driver V10.0.0.216
- SATA: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V12.7.0.1036
- SATA: Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V1.3.4.1
- SATA: Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V4.1.40.2143

Software
- ASUS Boot Setting V1.00.09

I will wait, if my clock keeps on stopping with this minimized system. I will report.
If you have any suggestions, let me know…

Regards

Raja@ASUS
10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Let me know how it gets on with minimum parts.

tra67
10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Hello Raja,

it's working so far, clock is running since 40h, meanwhile twice as long as before. I reconnected now the external usb devices (printer, game controller, usb hub). Let's see what's happening.

I read in the other thread (Frozen Time Clock in UEFI - The Fix ) the observations of WebMaximus concerning loading / saving of UEFI profiles. I think that's possible.

I restored the UEFI profile from USB stick each time after reset (XMP, OC Settings, ErP, xHCI, etc. - see post #17) and saved it to UEFI as O.C. Profile - and each time the clock stopped about a day later. I did that always except this time - and up to now it's running. Let's see, what WebMaximus is reporting - perhaps that's the clue...

But I'll stick now to my way first adding slowly further parts to rule out other reasons.

Regards

Raja@ASUS
10-10-2013, 08:02 PM
I am glad you mentioned you were doing this. I said the same thing to WM; you are likely restoring the cause of the fault with that profile. Creating a brand new profile after the process of clearing the issue is a good idea.

gouldy
10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
just joined to say i had exact same problem, clock freezing in bios, i just reset the cmos in standby and its now sorted
no need to re flash bios
mobo is a z87-a with a 4670k

thanks

trancefreak
10-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Update: I wanted to follow up on the Bios Clock Issue on my ASUS Z87 SABERTOOTH on this site. It has been 3 1/2 weeks, and I am still tick tocking just fine. Thanks again! :cool:

Chino
10-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Update: I wanted to follow up on the Bios Clock Issue on my ASUS Z87 SABERTOOTH on this site. It has been 3 1/2 weeks, and I am still tick tocking just fine. Thanks again! :cool:
Thanks for the feedback, mate. Continue enjoying your system. ;)

tra67
10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Meanwhile Iím closing in to the issue of the frozen time clock. It seems to be connected to the change of UEFI settings concerning CPU overclocking. So far I made the same observations as WM on the other thread.

In the last 14 days I tried to reproduce the phenomenon in a deterministic way:

After starting from a completely minimized system at default settings I added components and changed UEFI settings day by day. So far I can rule out an influence of the following components:

Addition of 2nd RAM Stick
External USB devices
Casing USB 2 / USB 3 Plugs
UEFI: ERP Settings
External Power off (Switched plug)
AI Suite III 1.0.0.56
Intel Management Engine
UEFI: XMP Profile
UEFI: Save and Restore of Default Profile from internal Memory in Profile#2
UEFI: Save and Restore of Default Profile from USB
UEFI: Save and Restore of XMP Profile from internal Memory in Profile#1
UEFI: Save and Restore of XMP Profile from USB

Until that point the clock was continuously running (13 days).

After that I started to test with my OC settings

CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP
I saved this profile in ASUS O.C. Settings Profile#2

With these settings the clock continued running.

After another 36h I started to set and store my other OC profiles:

Profile#3: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 44; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,200V, XMP
Profile#4: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 45; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,275V, XMP
Profile#5: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1,2: 46; Core 3,4: 45; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,275V, XMP

Each profile was set in UEFI first, then the system was rebooted, after that the profile was saved in internal memory and on USB stick.

In the end I restored Profile #2 (Core 1-4 42, Adaptive, 1,110V, XMP) from the internal memory.

After that the clock stopped about 15 minutes later!

My next steps:

Iím continuing to pinpoint the issue in a reproducible way.

Total reset of my system: Reflash UEFI 1405, clear CMOS on standy, Power off, remove all plugs from Mainboard, remove CMOS Battery. Reassemble, initialize UEFI at default.

Now I will check, if the clock continues running in the state before the last changes. (CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP)

If these settings prove not to halt the clock, I will start to alter OC settings one by one, until the clock stops.

Sorry for my lengthy post. I hope it will help to track down this nasty error, that seems to effect a lot of people.

If you have any other suggestions how to continue, please let me know.

Regards

Raja@ASUS
10-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks. The more you can nail it down, the better chance HQ have of replicating it.

-Raja

B\'Jamin da Bass
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi Raja,

Thanks for trying to help everyone.

I'm having a very similar (but slightly different) problem that is starting to drive me nuts. I have a ASUS Z87-Deluxe/Dual motherboard that was working fine for three months, and continues to work great whenever I'm in Windows (7, 64 bit). But whenever the computer:

a) goes into sleep mode,
b) powers down with power supply on
c) powers down with power supply off
d) is in any of the BIOS screens

the RTC just freezes. It never looses time (nor any of my other settings -- stock except for naming the SATA plugs, some fan settings and a slightly faster boot) -- the darn thing just stops updating itself. I can see this most clearly in the top BIOS screen where it just stays frozen.

I have tested the battery (it's fine, as expected). I've cleared the CMOS with the board in standby (twice for good measure), I've flashed to the latest UEFI (1504), cleared CMOS again, tried standing on my head, but none of the symptoms have changed.

What should I try next? Thank You in advance for your time,

- B'jamin

Ray Proudfoot
11-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I'm another customer affected by the BIOS frozen clock. I have the Asus Maximus VI Gene built and supplied by Scan Computers in Bolton, England.

The PC has been back to them once already since I bought it a month ago. They re-flashed the BIOS and kept the PC running over the weekend and when it was returned to me 11 days ago I thought that was it. But checking yesterday the clock had stopped the previous evening which is when it was powered down.

I have tried to reset / reload the BIOS but only using the ROG Connect button. The clock remains frozen. I am not prepared to start opening the case for a professionally built PC to change a jumper position. It could well invalidate the warranty.

When I bought my PC a friend also bought one with an different Asus mobo and he is having the same problem.

Given there is no clear resolution to this by Acer when I speak to Scan on Monday I'm going to ask them to swap the board for a Gigabyte one. I suspect my friend will do the same.

I've had PCs for 20 years and built the last 4 myself and have never had this kind of problem before. It does not reflect well on Asus.

Praz
11-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I have tried to reset / reload the BIOS but only using the ROG Connect button. The clock remains frozen. I am not prepared to start opening the case for a professionally built PC to change a jumper position. It could well invalidate the warranty.

Given there is no clear resolution to this by Acer when I speak to Scan on Monday I'm going to ask them to swap the board for a Gigabyte one. I suspect my friend will do the same.
The ROG Connect button does not reset the CMOS so the fact that you have not resolved this issue is not surprising. If you are not capable of or do not wish to perform the steps to successfully remedy this issue perhaps a different motherboard is the next logical choice.

Ray Proudfoot
11-09-2013, 04:22 PM
The ROG Connect button does not reset the CMOS so the fact that you have not resolved this issue is not surprising. If you are not capable of or do not wish to perform the steps to successfully remedy this issue perhaps a different motherboard is the next logical choice.
Perhaps I've misunderstood its purpose. What IS the purpose of the ROG Connect button? And is it possible to unfreeze the clock without removing the case lid?

B\'Jamin da Bass
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Anyone have any suggestions? What should I try next? Or do I just need to send this board back to ASUS for replacement?

- B'jamin

theCebu
11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi, I am having the same problem with my Sabertooth z87 motherboard. I have flashed the bios to the most updated version and i followed the step listed in previous posts (cleared the CMOS). My clock is still frozen, this is a real frustrating problem. I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Just for my understanding I want to make sure I did it correctly.
1. Flashed Bios to 1504 from 1007
2. Restarted after update was successful
3. Powered down system (kept the mechanical switch on the PSU turned on)
4. Removed the CMOS for 10 seconds
5. Powered on my system
6. Set the clock

Doing this, my UEFI clock still does not keep time when the system is powered off.

Praz
11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
4. Removed the CMOS for 10 seconds

Step #4 may well be the issue. To clear the BIOS the jumper needs to be placed on pins 2 & 3 not removed.

theCebu
11-14-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "the jumper needs to be placed on pins 2 & 3"

I made a mistake. I removed the CMOS for 10 seconds and then replaced it.

I should also mention that my motherboard is brand new, I got it less than 1 month ago.

I'm still having this problem and I really don't know what it could be or what I've done wrong. Praz, can you explain what you mean? Thanks.

theCebu
11-15-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm still having this problem. Spoke to 3 ASUS representatives and there was nothing they could do to help. There could be several issues including a faulty BIOS chip, and non-compatible RAM. Does anything here know a solution?

tra67
11-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello, after 4 weeks Iím back again. I did further experiments with my UEFI settings to pinpoint the origin of the frozen time clock issue.

My observation:
The issue is connected to the change of the following parameters in UEFI:

Set CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage:

My impression is, that the more you dial around with these parameters, the earlier the clock stops.

Now to the experiments:
Starting on the situation described in post #34 I did the following actions:

Total Reset (Reflash UEFI 1405, clear CMOS on standy, Power off, remove all plugs from Mainboard, remove CMOS Battery. Reassemble, initialize UEFI at default)
CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP)
Profile not stored in ASUS O.C. Settings

Result: clock continued running

After 9 days I did the next step:

Total Reset (Reflash UEFI 1504, clear CMOS on standy, Power off, remove all plugs from Mainboard, remove CMOS Battery. Reassemble, initialize UEFI at default)
CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP)
Profile stored in ASUS O.C. Settings in all profiles (Profile #1 to Profile #8)

Result: : clock continued running

After another 9 days I did the next experiment:

Total Reset (Reflash UEFI 1602, clear CMOS on standy, Power off, remove all plugs from Mainboard, remove CMOS Battery. Reassemble, initialize UEFI at default)
Store Profile in ASUS O.C. Settings profile Profile #1
Set CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 45; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,275V, XMP)
Store Profile in ASUS O.C. Settings profile Profile #4 -> System not reset!
Set CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 44; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,200V)
Store Profile in ASUS O.C. Settings profile Profile #3 -> System not reset!
Set CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,120V) Store Profile in ASUS O.C. Settings profile Profile #2
Boot System

Result: The clock stopped after exactly 7 days!

The result of my investigation is:

The issue is connected to dialing around with the parameters

Set CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage

The more you dial around, the earlier the clock fails.

The issue is not connected to

RAM
External USB devices
UEFI: ERP Settings
External Power off (Switched plug)
AI Suite III 1.0.0.56
UEFI: XMP Profile
ASUS O.C. Settings, saving / loading of O.C. profiles

Now Iím at the end with my ideas. If you have any other suggestions what to try, let me know.

Hopefully ASUS will sort this issue out soon - maybe my results might help.

Regards

Ray Proudfoot
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Interesting results tra67. Let's hope Asus read this and answer you.

Since I used the reset button on the back of my case 8 days ago the clock has continued to run. I haven't changed any settings in the BIOS and I haven't updated it from that running when I bought it. Fingers crossed!

stides
11-25-2013, 07:40 AM
I just had to make an account and chime in here. I had this same problem of the clock not running in bios and resetting back to when the computer was last shut down. Boy o boy I searched for like a month for a solution to this problem. I tryed everything, from software crap about windows time service, to reinstalling windows nothing. It was only blind luck I ran across this webpage after trying many different searches on google. (Like I said, I was looking for months for a solution to this time problem).

Anyways all I can tell you is the problem started after I overclocked my rig (i5 4670k, asus z87) and it blue screened for the first time.

Thank fully the problem was finally fixed by the suggestion from raja to clear the cmos while in standby. I was a little scared to try this because I've read that clearing the cmos while the computer is on standby can ruin some mobos. But it worked! Thank you so much raja for the solution! This problem has been driving me crazy!!!

Although I just want to add.. When I switched the jumper back to the normal position(not the clearing cmos position) my computer TURNED ON!!!!!! I didn't press the power button or anything. My computer just turned on from putting the jumper back in the normal position! my tiger v6 almost took my finger off lol!!! Is that normal to happen???

Raja@ASUS
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Although I just want to add.. When I switched the jumper back to the normal position(not the clearing cmos position) my computer TURNED ON!!!!!! I didn't press the power button or anything. My computer just turned on from putting the jumper back in the normal position! my tiger v6 almost took my finger off lol!!! Is that normal to happen???

That means the board was "on" when you cleared CMOS, not in standby. Standby means the PSU is switched on, but the board is not. The PSU is connected to the board and there is standby power present - the board is ready to be powered on if you press the power button. There is no risk at all from clearing CMOS in this manner.

Basically you confused standby to mean power on I think and cleared CMOS with the board in power on state. You got away with it, so can put this one to rest for now. Just be aware for the future that standby does not mean something is powered "on".

stides
11-25-2013, 09:32 AM
That means the board was "on" when you cleared CMOS, not in standby. Standby means the PSU is switched on, but the board is not. The PSU is connected to the board and there is standby power present - the board is ready to be powered on if you press the power button. There is no risk at all from clearing CMOS in this manner.

Basically you confused standby to mean power on I think and cleared CMOS with the board in power on state. You got away with it, so can put this one to rest for now. Just be aware for the future that standby does not mean something is powered "on".

Huh? What do you mean the board is in "power on state". The computer was off, (ie nothing running, fans, nothing, basically like when you shut down your computer.) What's did I do wrong in regards to standby? I'm glad I didnt blow anything up though!

Is there a board power switch? I feel stupid for asking...

Ray Proudfoot
11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
What Raja means is power is still getting to the board because the power switch at the back of the case is still on. Each PSU has a power switch but you probably never use it under normal circumstances.

stides
11-27-2013, 02:07 AM
What Raja means is power is still getting to the board because the power switch at the back of the case is still on. Each PSU has a power switch but you probably never use it under normal circumstances.

So the power switch on the PSU has to be in the "off" position for the board to be considered in "standby state"? So what is the boards "state" then if the computer is off but the PSU switch is on? (like how I did it)

raja has me confused

Raja@ASUS
11-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Neither Ray's post or mine suggests the PSU has to be off. The PSU is switched on, the board is not - that's standby.

If you don't understand, I suggest you contact someone who knows about PCs and get them to help you out.

Ray Proudfoot
11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Stides, When you're using your computer the board is 'on' and it's not in standby mode. When you shut Windows down and the computer appears to be turned off it is then in standby mode.

But power is still getting to the motherboard. That's when you should clear the CMOS. Don't touch the switch on the PSU. Leave it on so power gets to the motherboard.

7stein
12-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Same issue at my ASUS Z87-C.

BIOS: 1602 x64 (10/29/2013)
EC-Version: MBE2-Z87-0227
ME-FW-Version: 9.0.2.1345
Intel PCH REV ID: 05/C2

Clock stops sometimes at the time I shut down the computer. No CPU overclocking is set. Bios stock defaults are set for my Intel i7 4770K.
Battery is at 3.328V.
Hope ASUS will release a BIOS Update soon.

Raja@ASUS
12-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Battery has nothing to do with this. It's more likely something to do with the ME. In the meantime, use the ME clear method I posted earlier.

Ray Proudfoot
12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
After discussing the frozen bios clock problem with my supplier they recommended I install Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V9.5.14.1724 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL).

I have done this and hopefully it will finally resolve the problem. if it doesn't then they are prepared to swap my Maximus VI Gene for another make.

Horgi
12-02-2013, 07:27 AM
After discussing the frozen bios clock problem with my supplier they recommended I install Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V9.5.14.1724 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL).

I have done this and hopefully it will finally resolve the problem. if it doesn't then they are prepared to swap my Maximus VI Gene for another make.
latest Intel MEI is 9.5.15.1730
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=23091

and, may be help for that case update ME firmware for latest:
ftp://176.96.72.130/AiDisk_a1/Drivers/Chipset/Intel_ME_Firmware_9.0.30.1482.rar
or http://www.necacom.net/index.php/ssd-diskovi-sp-250259935/7746-intel-management-engine-me-firmware-9-0-30-1482-1-5mb
if, as in my sabertooth z87, your MB disabled read/write communication with ME, upgrade possible from DOS mode.
4 you ATTENTION: update ME firmware little bit dangerous (as update BIOS) and need some exp.

Raja@ASUS
12-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Updated post here with MEI driver step:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix

nathanielle7
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I am having the same issue I was wondering if I could get a very detailed instruction on how I should go about fixing this, even though the steps have been listed I am getting lost because I don't understand how to do every thing the proper way in the first place. Trying to look on google what the words mean and I usually find extensive instructions on things that are getting me mixed up. I have already attempted to reflash but the clock has remained frozen, but I think I did not do it the way you guys are talking about.

Praz
12-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I am having the same issue I was wondering if I could get a very detailed instruction on how I should go about fixing this, even though the steps have been listed I am getting lost because I don't understand how to do every thing the proper way in the first place. Trying to look on google what the words mean and I usually find extensive instructions on things that are getting me mixed up. I have already attempted to reflash but the clock has remained frozen, but I think I did not do it the way you guys are talking about.

The steps in the first post below are detailed and concise. Please list which of the steps you don't understand.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix&country=&status=

Ray Proudfoot
12-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Praz,

Point 4 refers to MEI driver. What does MEI stand for?

Praz
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Praz,

Point 4 refers to MEI driver. What does MEI stand for?

Management Engine Interface driver. vV9.5.14.1724 can be found using the link below by selecting Drivers and Tools and then Chipset.

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/45/MAXIMUS%20VI%20HERO/30/

Ray Proudfoot
12-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Thank you. It does help those of us who are not used to these terms if they are spelt out in full.

Praz
12-06-2013, 11:02 PM
You're welcome. :)

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi, i have the Maximus Extreme 6 motherboard an have had the problem with the clock stopping in bios since day one. Now it 3 month since i bought the board, and did follow the tip from Raja regarding flashing bios without the cmos battery. The clock have been keeping time and all god untill yesterday. Now the clock have stoped again. Its about 5-6 weeks since i did this reset.

What to do now? Any idee?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alex

Raja@ASUS
12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi, i have the Maximus Extreme 6 motherboard an have had the problem with the clock stopping in bios since day one. Now it 3 month since i bought the board, and did follow the tip from Raja regarding flashing bios without the cmos battery. The clock have been keeping time and all god untill yesterday. Now the clock have stoped again. Its about 5-6 weeks since i did this reset.

What to do now? Any idee?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alex

Try Intel Management Engine Interface driver. vV9.5.14.1724

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
ok. where to download from?

HiVizMan
12-10-2013, 09:22 PM
The ASUS motherboard support page it was posted up on 2013.10.04

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
ok, tnx HiVizMan!

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
hm, no result searching for it in the support area..
. = http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=Intel%20Management%20Engine%20Interface %20driver il found tthis one on google, but it dosent seem easy to find this "Management Engine Interface driver". Maybe il find it here ? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/#support_Download

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 09:54 PM
ok, found it and downloaded it. still freez in bios. what to do?

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 10:16 PM
ok, found it and its installed. still no movements in bios. Should i flash again in "standby" without cmos?

Logitrust
12-10-2013, 10:18 PM
ups, sry dubble post.

HiVizMan
12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
hm, no result searching for it in the support area..
. = http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=Intel%20Management%20Engine%20Interface %20driver il found tthis one on google, but it dosent seem easy to find this "Management Engine Interface driver". Maybe il find it here ? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/#support_Download

Just went to the Sabertooth page, and it is the very first driver in the chipset.

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V9.5.14.1724 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

nathanielle7
12-11-2013, 03:58 AM
I am attempting to fix the problem step by step now I will let you guys know if it works.

nathanielle7
12-11-2013, 05:08 AM
So far so good it is now showing the correct time and is not frozen in the uefi, I did have trouble clearing the cmos due to the fact it wasn't as simple as pushing a button... I basically had to remove a little cap that sits next the the motherboards LED and recap it one prong to the right for 10 seconds, and I had to look up instructions on how to do that before I figured it out.

Edit: Sorry for double post I didn't realize I did it, you can erase this last post if needed

Update: I turned off the computer and turned it back on and the time no longer seems to be frozen thank you for the instructions raja your work is appreciated.

Raja@ASUS
12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Let us know if it freezes again please. If it does your board might be a candidate for sending back to HQ...

Aleksandr_Iskander
12-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone, I’m from Chile, and I have been following this topic for about two months, because I have the same issue that here is described. I have a Maximus Extreme 6 motherboard: I bought it three months ago and after two weeks of working I started having problems with my Windows time, at first I thought it was a software issue, but after discovered this topic, I realised that the problem was with the UEFI clock. I have followed all the the tips from Raja, and after the procedure the clock starts again and works well for two or three weeks but always stops again. I have tried all the suggestions described here:
• From begining I have been working with my BIOS in standard settings
• I have replace the BIOS battery
• I have flashed bios from version 0903 to 1102
• I have followed the Raja reflashing/clear CMOS method
• This board have two BIOS. I have switched between both and have applied the Raja's method again, but the problem persist
• I also changed my memories modules. I had two modules G.skill Trident X 2x8 Gb, and now I’m using two modules G.Skill Trident X 2x4 Gb
• I installed Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
• I also emigrated from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and the problem persist.

My impression is that this issue is not connecting to any BIOS settings, because I have using the two BIOS that comes with the board, and I have been always using the standard BIOS setttings and the result is always the same, the BIOS clock freeze.

Today I experienced a new clock freeze, but before this happened, I discovered something that might be interesting: A few minutes before the clock stopped, I entered the BIOS to check that all was well (because it have been passed 14 days since my last clock freeze and I was optimistic that the problem was gone), and once in BIOS I noticed that the clock was still working, but strangely the steps between the seconds were “irregular” (I made a video of the clock running in this irregular way), and after that, I left the BIOS and entered in Windows, and to my surprise the windows clock had been freeze again. After that I entered to the BIOS again and I noticed that BIOS clock stopped one minute later I recorded the video.
I’m not sure if this incident is significant, but It makes me think that clock don’t stopped abruptly, but it should experience some kind of desynchronization before it freeze.
Here I left you a link of the video if someone want to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PI0p4L9Cm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXrn3spOGU

Well, that's my contribution , I have just notice that Asus Web have added a new version of my BIOS (1102), and I’ll go to install it and see if it provides the solution to the problem.

Regards,
Alejandro

TwoPacks
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Just adding that my newly installed motherboard, Z87 Sabertooth, is having the clock issue. Did all the recommended stuff but the clock is still ffrozen. Is there a fix in the works? Clearly this is a serious problem with the z87 Sabertooth from Asus.

Raja@ASUS
12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Twopacks, we need a board to send to HQ to fix this - hard to replicate. If you're willing to do that, let me know. I want the board with the clock in frozen state if possible.

Logitrust
12-16-2013, 04:07 PM
@Aleksandr_Iskander; @Raja@Asus

Hi, i have the same board(Maximus6) and have done the same without any luck.

First time i did the reset without CMOS in standby, it keept the time for about 5 weeks. Clock stoped again and did the reset for 2 days ago, and updated to 1102. Problem is back :-/

I think highly of asking to cancel the purchase and get me another type of card. Have two other friends that have the same problem with the exactly same card.

Logitrust
12-16-2013, 05:02 PM
testing with the reset on the 1102 now. see how long it will run this time. my last reset where on the 0903

Raja@ASUS
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Are all of you updating the MEI driver as well?

Logitrust
12-18-2013, 01:07 AM
hi, yep, im set with the Intel Management Engine Interface V9.5.14.1724 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Raja@ASUS
12-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I still haven't found a US based customer with this issue that's willing to do a board exchange, so there's not much I can do until that happens. In the meantime I suggest those of you from other regions contact your local support departments.

TwoPacks
12-18-2013, 09:36 PM
I still haven't found a US based customer with this issue that's willing to do a board exchange, so there's not much I can do until that happens. In the meantime I suggest those of you from other regions contact your local support departments.

See PM. I would be interested in getting you one of the boards.

Logitrust
12-18-2013, 11:31 PM
can report that the clock stopped for me now after warm booting. il contact the dealer and asking to get another board to morrow..

Raja@ASUS
12-19-2013, 08:54 AM
See PM. I would be interested in getting you one of the boards.

You have a return PM.

azeroth182
01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi Everyone... had the same problem with the system or BIOS clock. I went to the store where purchased the motherboard and we notice that the seconds on the BIOS clock is stock. They tried BIOS flashback but the result is the same... STOCK CLOCK!!! So they gave me a nw SABERTHOOT and it works... Thank GOD I'm still covered with the warranty..

MaxThrust
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Raja,
I've just purchased a Maximus IV Hero board and assembled it this past weekend. I too am having the stopped clock issue. I'm not overclocked and have only changed the fast boot options. I have an i7 4770k, 16Gb RAM (2 sticks), EVGA GTX 770, WIN7 64 with all updates and the latest BIOS.
I have not tried a reset yet, but I keep setting the system time and it keeps reverting to some random time. Sometimes the previous boot time, sometimes a time in the past, sometimes something apparently totally random.
I am willing to send this board in without changing anything at this point. I would need a replacement board and rather quickly as I am a student with online classes.
Please contact me if you still need a board.
Thank you,
Mike

Ray Proudfoot
01-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Although I had a Maximus VI Gene it still had the frozen clock problem. After applying a MEI update a few weeks ago I thought it was fixed.

Sadly the problem started again last week so I've now returned my PC for the motherboard to be switched to a Gigabyte. I've lost faith with Asus.

azeroth182
01-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Im still holding on.. Im going to go back to the store and have them diagnose it again.. I know they will get the same result... CLOCK PROBLEM!!! I'm sure they will RMA this board to ASUS make me wait for the replacement.. Can anyone from Asus figure this out.. The store where I purchased this board is very far away from my place.. going back and fourth is just so frustrating.. Raja? anyone? please help...

Raja@ASUS
01-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Azeroth,

Cant help you in the Phillipines - you'll need to go through your own support.

I have arranged for one of the users that offered his board to have it swapped but unfortunately the user has yet to respond to our RMA guys about his swap so that has gone nowhere so far.

If the user does not respond by the end of the week, I will ask someone else with the issue to swap their board with us. It will need to be a user based in North America.

-Raja

NOUMAN
01-17-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi ! I have the same problem. Few months ago (July 2013) I bought Asus Sabertooth Z87 and I observed this clock problem. At first I thought it was OS problem but soon I realize that something was wrong with the system itself. I tried to troubleshoot it but was unable to isolate the problem.

Following are the methods I performed:

1. I was using Windows 8. So, I installed Windows 7. (Did not helped at all)

2. In Bios I applied default setting. (No overclocking) .

3. Replaced Bios battery.

4. updated the bios. (At this very moment I have 1707 version)

5. I followed Raja@Asus method of flashing and clearing bios. (This method fixes the problem for days and sometimes weeks but later clock gets messed up again)

6. Checked the my hardware with the SABERTOOTH Z87 Memory Qualified Vendors List and Sabertooth-Z87 Device report that is available on Sabertooth Z87 page. Everything was right.

What I think is the cause:

1. May be a Motherboard or Bios issue.

2. May be because of the Fan overtime option. When I turn off my computer and unplug it from wall outlet computer Fans runs for 2 minutes. This might be draining the battery.

3. USB devices like keyboard and mouse their lights remain on for 1 or 2 minutes even when I turn off computer and unplug from wall outlet.

But guys @Asus you are the professional please test it and let us know what is the solution.

I live in Pakistan and I understand that you in my situation will not be able to help but I am following this thread for long time now. Please keep us updated.

Hardware: Sabertooth Z87, Intel 4770K, Corsair DDR3 @ 2666 MHz (4 x 4)=16 GB, Corsair Neutron Gtx 240, corsair H100i CPU cooler, Corsair AX1200 PSU

Thank you ! :cool:

Oubadah
01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Having this issue on a Gryphon. Standby RTC jumper worked temporarily. I hope Asus is working on a fix.

Raja@ASUS
01-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Waiting to get a user board back to HQ. AS soon as we get the board back and can pinpoint the issue we can start looking at whats needed to fix it.

Aleksandr_Iskander
01-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Update: I wanted to follow up on the Bios Clock Issue on my ASUS Maximus VI Extreme, it has been 38 days since I updated to the last BIOS (1102), and my UEFI clock is still working well. In my case, it seems that the last BIOS version resolve the problem.

Oubadah
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Waiting to get a user board back to HQ. AS soon as we get the board back and can pinpoint the issue we can start looking at whats needed to fix it.

Are you waiting for a user to send a board, or has someone already sent one and you just haven't received it yet?

Raja@ASUS
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Are you waiting for a user to send a board, or has someone already sent one and you just haven't received it yet?

Both. There is a user in the process of sending his board to us in the US (he had something come up which caused a delay on his side) which we will forward to HQ. The user needs to be based in North America for me to be able to setup the swap. AS soon as that completes we can move forwards.

rogerthat1945
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I am about to buy the Asus Maximus Gene for my backup PC (Athlon 64) and give it an i5), so wondered what the latest situ is on the `clock` issue/s; because on my Z87 Sabertooth rig I had real problems updating to the 1707 Bios. It would take 7 hours to boot-up sometimes. It was a Bios renamer problem or someting. HAd to flashback and forth many times. Its fixed now (problem was locking up as BIOS update was on an older USB drive, NOTE:- YOU HAVE TO USE USB 2 Stick for BIOS updates!!!!!!

I have a permanent solution for all Motherboards/Asus for BIOS Problems; but want paying for the concept which could make Asus an extra million sales here and there (and save a million upset customers over ten years doing Bios Updates).

Any takers?
me @ yahoo

Oubadah
01-27-2014, 02:44 AM
I am about to buy the Asus Maximus Gene for my backup PC (Athlon 64) and give it an i5), so wondered what the latest situ is on the `clock` issue/s; because on my Z87 Sabertooth rig I had real problems updating to the 1707 Bios. It would take 7 hours to boot-up sometimes. It was a Bios renamer problem or someting. HAd to flashback and forth many times. Its fixed now (problem was locking up as BIOS update was on an older USB drive, NOTE:- YOU HAVE TO USE USB 2 Stick for BIOS updates!!!!!!

I have a permanent solution for all Motherboards/Asus for BIOS Problems; but want paying for the concept which could make Asus an extra million sales here and there (and save a million upset customers over ten years doing Bios Updates).

Any takers?
me @ yahoo

The latest 'situation' is that we're waiting for Asus to fix the issue.

Flegma
01-27-2014, 11:10 PM
I have same model of MBO and maybe this is silly question but what is symptoms of frozen clock? Clock is frozen only in BIOS or both, BIOS nad Windows?

I asked this because Windows has Internet Time.

Oubadah
01-28-2014, 03:31 AM
I have same model of MBO and maybe this is silly question but what is symptoms of frozen clock? Clock is frozen only in BIOS or both, BIOS nad Windows?

I asked this because Windows has Internet Time.

The clock is frozen in the BIOS and then you start to see odd behavior in the Windows clock.

Flegma
01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
The clock is frozen in the BIOS and then you start to see odd behavior in the Windows clock.
What odd behavior?

Oubadah
01-29-2014, 04:34 AM
What odd behavior?

I first noticed it one night when I glanced at the time, continued working, then looked down at the time to see that it was still exactly the same. I remember thinking what a long minute, but it was late and I decided I must have been imagining it.

The next day I looked at the clock when it should have been ~11PM and it said 2.00AM. This time I immediately remembered this thread and guessed that the issue must extend beyond the sabertooth. I then looked in the BIOS and sure enough, the clock was static.

While the BIOS clock is frozen, the windows clock seems to fluctuate between being completely wrong and sometimes displaying what seems to be the correct time (I guess it eventually syncs with an internet clock).

Ta-k007
01-29-2014, 05:18 AM
hi, I bought a z87-deluxe last week.
I have the same problem. BIOS clock is frozen.
Please fix it.

F-15E
01-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Problem solved. :) Now I am waiting for ASUS to send me a gift (GTX 780 ti preferable ), and then there will be full description of the process.

F-15E
01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Is it still frozen after you flashed the bios and resetting it .

RXweasel
02-09-2014, 11:51 PM
My BIOS clock has frozen again 3 times after updating BIOS to 1707.

Before this, the re-flash & reset advice has kept my BIOS clock running since last August. The BIOS update to 1707 broke it again.
After the update, i've tried the re-flash and reset -solution that helped before, but in about 1-3 weeks the clock stops again until i reset it with the CMOS jumper.

Should I try to downgrade back to 1405 ?

Raja@ASUS
02-14-2014, 03:41 PM
My BIOS clock has frozen again 3 times after updating BIOS to 1707.

Before this, the re-flash & reset advice has kept my BIOS clock running since last August. The BIOS update to 1707 broke it again.
After the update, i've tried the re-flash and reset -solution that helped before, but in about 1-3 weeks the clock stops again until i reset it with the CMOS jumper.

Should I try to downgrade back to 1405 ?

Praz is trying to replicate the issue so please post full setup of UEFI for him to mimic.

-Raja

RXweasel
02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Ok, I use a list in the "favorites" section of UEFI. I attach two pics of that screen. Only boot priority has been changed in addition to the settings in this favorites list (removed all but the SSD where Win7 starts from).

CDreier
02-24-2014, 02:22 AM
Okay, so I'm another one with the clock issue on the Sabertooth Z87. I'm glad to have found this forum's thread after spending much time searching elsewhere for answers. We're eagerly awaiting a solution as the problem is quite severe in the long term. Having said that, I know ASUS will find the answer and get it to us!

Fredericksburg
02-24-2014, 06:41 AM
I'm yet another with the same problem. On an 87 Sabertooth.

Here's something interesting, however. Do any of you have programs that read info off of motherboard data? I have AIDA 64 (you can download a free trial from their website if you wish) reading temps and data (memory usage, disk space, etc.) and outputting it to a Logitech G15 keyboard LCD screen and a Rainmeter app (a desktop customization tool, I have the temp and cpu usage graphed out in front of me). Well get this: when the clock stops, so do they. They freeze up the same way. The clock gets stuck at 1:23am and if the temp at that time was 43C then 43C it will stay.

Until I manually tell windows to sychronize it's clock with an available internet server. As soon as I do that, and the clock starts to work, AIDA 64 starts working again, and my LCD screen and desktop displays start moving and responding the current data.

What the hell?

I thought it was because I had the time measured, but I took otu the time measurement from AIDA 64 (well... as best I could, simply un-checking it as a shared value), yet it still freezes its data (the program doesn't actually freeze up)- EXACTLY AT THE SAME MOMENT AS WHEN THE CLOCK FREEZES.

I think this thing has deeper implications than just the clock.

A note: I also have AI Suite III running, and as far as I have bothered to take note, it is unaffected. The fans also spin up whenever I am using CPU intensive programs, even though the temperature readings I am receiving from AIDA 64, the Logitech LCD, and Rain meter are frozen.

What the hell is going on here?

Fredericksburg
02-25-2014, 01:43 AM
EDIT: I just realized, much like some guy before me somewhere on this thread who set Windows to resync the clock every 15 minutes, what the problem might be: AIDA 64 is set to update the data at regural intervals, down to the millisecond. But if the clock freezes, how does it know how many miliseconds have passed? Maybe it doesn't, and so it waits for the next 5000 milliseconds to pass, and keeps waiting. So perhaps it's not "frozen" but "indefinatly waiting" for a time to pass that never shows up.

Man, this clock situation eff'd everything up. Will do the reflashing and resetting of cmos, but if the people on this board are to be believed, the problem always comes back.

Also, I was thinking, perhaps it has nothing to do with the settings themselves, but the amount of times that the settings are changed? I remember that when windows 8 first came out, there was an error with the screensavers. If you changed the picture more than 8 (or maybe it was 10, i forget) times, it would stop updating the pictures and continuously reuse the old ones, even if you tried to change the picture manually. It had nothing to do with the pictures themselves or even their format, but the amount of times that the picture had been changed. Perhaps due to a part of the code which a programmer had placed a low amount of variables when testing or something, and then forgot to change it.

It seems the only regular variable is the fact that it happens to people who are changing their bios settings, and some are saying they think the amount of times they change it has an effect. I myself tried to load a profile from before the problem occurred, but the problem STILL showed up. The problem can apparently also be brought about an unaffected machine by bringing in a profile that it has occurred on. I would think the only way this could be is if there was a hidden parameter somewhere that could be transferred through profiles but was also independent of the profile settings themselves.

Perhaps there is some setting or file or line of code that tracks user history and changes, even just counting the number of times something has been switched, that is broken or something. Perhaps, for those trying to replicate the problem, you could try sticking with just one motherboard, and see if after numerous setting changes the problem appears.

I'm no expert though, so I have no idea, I'm just throwing out some thoughts.

CDreier
02-27-2014, 01:06 AM
EDIT: I realize this is a technical forum, not a complaint site. But I've got to say this clock issue is becoming a real annoyance. It has repercussions in almost every aspect of my daily computing; time stamps on financial spreadsheets and programs, logbooks, verification of the time emails are sent and received, on and on. I trust this is THE thread to find out the latest on what's being done to fix the problem. By the way, I notice this thread began on August first of last year. There's been no resolution and we're now going into March! This is a concern. Thanks.

Fredericksburg
02-27-2014, 06:45 AM
I second CDreier thoughts.

And also, I take back the part about ASUS Suite III working fine. It's working... but I just noticed that sometimes it would just...

This never happened before the clock started screwing up. I've had this board up and running daily for almost 6 months now. The clock stopped functioning properly about a week ago. And also: since ya'll don't know the cause, ya'll don't know how big the problem might be or what all may be affected. It may be more than the clock that is messed up. and the clock is just a symptom or side-effect of sorts.

This needs to get fixed. ASUS has a reputation of being a world class company so I do hope they want to keep it and that they will keep working on a solution to this issue until they figure it out, because this is a make it or break it deal-breaker sort of problem for most.

EDIT: I uploaded the pic three times, sorry about that, didn't know it would just post the non-marked ones down at the bottom. I deleted one but having the site isn't responding to the others. My bad.

Praz
02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Hello

Those screenshot point to a ME issue.

adonisx4
02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
also having the same problem

Nicholas Steel
03-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone. We found this thread after experiencing the same issue of the RTC stalling whenever the computer was switched off, after upgrading the BIOS. The solution of simply resetting the BIOS via the Jumper Pins appears to have worked great (It's been numerous days/weeks now).

I like to imagine that the newer BIOS simply doesn't recognize some of the values that the older BIOS was using for various settings and the Jumper Pins completely erases the old configuration files allowing for completely fresh, fully compatible files to be generated.

Fredericksburg
03-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks Praz for the tip. I completely uninstalled AI3 for the time being. I'm at the point (not just due to this problem, but it's about that time...) to where I'm going to clear, reflash, and then reformat, and reinstall (windows, all drivers etc.) for a fresh start (fingers crossed). Just waiting for some free time.

Nicholas Steel

I like to imagine that the newer BIOS simply doesn't recognize some of the values that the older BIOS was using for various settings and the Jumper Pins completely erases the old configuration files allowing for completely fresh, fully compatible files to be generated.

Time will tell whether or not it comes back like some here claim must happen. I am starting to wonder which BIOS version they are using. Maybe your theory explains why one user said a recent BIOS upgrade "broke" it again.

I did find a somewhat hilarious consequence of this broken clock thingy, an small upside if you will (glass half-full..): several time-based software trials and demos couldn't figure out how much time had passed since I started using the software, and so therefore it now appears that the trials seem to stay open indefinitely... heh... one of them even informed me though a little periodic popup that it couldn't tell how much time had passed since I started my trial and urged me to make sure that "such-and-such-trial-monitoring-service" was running... as if I was actually going to take the time and go troubleshoot around to make sure that the service responsible for cutting me off after I'd hit 10 hours or whatever was running properly, haha!

desolator4u
03-03-2014, 04:27 AM
EDIT: I realize this is a technical forum, not a complaint site. But I've got to say this clock issue is becoming a real annoyance. It has repercussions in almost every aspect of my daily computing; time stamps on financial spreadsheets and programs, logbooks, verification of the time emails are sent and received, on and on. I trust this is THE thread to find out the latest on what's being done to fix the problem. By the way, I notice this thread began on August first of last year. There's been no resolution and we're now going into March! This is a concern. Thanks.

^^^

Nicholas Steel
03-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Time will tell whether or not it comes back like some here claim must happen. I am starting to wonder which BIOS version they are using. Maybe your theory explains why one user said a recent BIOS upgrade "broke" it again.
Well, the theory is based on the fact that the motherboard uses a UEFI BIOS which is essentially an operating system, which is vastly more complex (code wise) then the low level BIOS that we're used to.

It's not too surprising that early motherboards supporting UEFI are prone to problems, I imagine it will be a year or 2 before motherboard manufacturers become completely comfortable with the new system and develop methods of avoiding this kind of thing in the future.

Triplexbeatz
03-03-2014, 11:25 PM
The fact this this issue is still ongoing....well, frankly.... it worries me. That's in addition to being frustrated, pissed off, stuck with an expensive sub operational system, and at a loss for a bunch of cash and time spent chasing the issue and reading page after page of the same issue, the same fix, and the same re-occurrences. Did I mention infuriating?

My board isn't a Sabertooth or a RoG for that matter, but it boasts the same Z87 chipset, and a majority of the same features on Premium boards.
Same issue as everyone else. Specs below.

EDIT:
FYI I posted here> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix&p=379758&viewfull=1#post379758 which is why I did not go into greater detail on THIS thread.

kdk_warhead
03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
System install September 2013

Problem with clock started late January 2014.

Symptom: system clock changes irrationally (usually a couple of hours). Date changes a couple of days.

System:
MB: Gryphon Z87
CPU: 4770k (no OC)
Mem: G.Skill Ares Low Profile 2x4Gb DDR 1866Mhz
GPU: 6970

CPU & GPU water cooled.

Bios: 1504 (Date 10/03/2013) until 2014-02-20

Loaded optimized default 2014-10-18, same problem.

Updated bios: 1707 (Date 12/13/2013) 2014-02-21, 4 hours later clock shows approximately the same as after flashing.

2014-02-21 22:00 noticed that the clock was stuck in bios (entered bios during startup). Did a 10 sec CMOS CLEAR (MB).
This started the clock but it was of by about one our (how can the computer now the time and date after a CMOS CLEAR . Maybe the intel I217-V took set the time from a NSA time server (spooky..).

2014-03-09 17 days and still working fine.

I might get the problem back but at least I know what works for me... (10 sec CMOS CLEAR).

2014-03-12 20 Days and still working fine.
2014-04-04 35 Days and still working fine.
2014-04-17 48 Days and still working fine.
2014-05-11 79 Days and still working fine.

KevinMillican
04-13-2014, 10:54 PM
My Z87 Pro motherboard developed an identical problem with the RTC after just under 3 months use.
Whilst I could get it replaced/refunded by the retailer, the hassle of reworking my PC and uncertainty of whether this would just go wrong again on a replacement, means that I prefer to workaround this issue.
I have done so successfully using the NTP service software on this site:-
http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm
You have to turn off the Windows internet time updates to get this to work properly but it's completely unobtrusive once set up.
Overall this works better anyhow because my Windows clock is never out by more than a second now, except for the initial login screen.

Dorosh
04-25-2014, 04:08 PM
My point on this issue already stated here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix/page22)

M.Elglasi
04-28-2014, 11:51 PM
Hello
My MB : Z87-Pro

I have this problem I faced today was exactly I initially thought that the reason lies in the operating system until you ship the BIOS again with removing the battery for some time.
Please for your consideration of this matter, I believe that I am not the only one who suffered from that problem
Less management Must be issued a new update acres stability of Bios

ialej95
05-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Any fix at this point guys?
It's becoming very frustrating...
Thanks,
Alex

Kattegrus
05-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Hello,

Just pitching in here; I am having the exact same issue with my ROG Maximus VI Gene motherboard.
After updating a few days ago from BIOS rev. 1302 to 1402 my RTC clock just froze.
I haven't done any overclocking on the board sporting an Intel 4770K.

I've written ASUS about this and will post here if they give me any useful advice/instructions.

Any discoveries yet?

WinTech95
05-28-2014, 05:34 AM
How long are we going to have to wait for a fix? This is really bad. A BIOS clock issue come on! This is motherboard 101, never in a million years would I have thought that an ASUS premium board would have this issue. I am currently recommending to all of our clients to avoid all ASUS motherboards because of this very fundamental issue. Please please please please please fix it!

I have 3 boards with this issue in my shop and EVERY client system I built has this problem. I have tried EVERY fix in this thread, nothing works for more then a few days. Flashed BIOS, reset to factory, replaced batteries. NOTHING.

kmjsuperfly
05-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Has anyone had this issue with the Z97 boards? It sounds like ASUS hasn't identified what the problem is and its pretty clear there is a wide spread problem. I'm helping my brother with a build and I'm a little gun shy about recommending an ASUS board with this issue still floating out there. I'm still personally dealing with the same clock issue with my Z87 Sabertooth.

Phantom Mark
05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
I have a Maximus Extreme VI C2, and have also got the knackered clock again, this board has been nothing but problems since the day I installed it, I have a cheap Gigabyte here im seriously thinking of replacing it with now after being continually let down by this ASUS piece of garbage, I don't even overclock and my system is the worst unstable piece of junk I have ever had the misfortune of owning in 30 years of PC building, my first was a 386sx16

I would understand if I was overclocking the hell out of it but no........

Over and out.

Helevitia
06-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Add me to the list that's seeing this issue. I'm surprised this has been going on for so long with no fix. Asus, I love you guys, but please let us know what's going on or fix this ASAP. It has actually caused me to miss a work meeting as I use my computer for work as well.

Raja@ASUS
06-11-2014, 11:23 AM
UEFI builds 2*** released or will be up shortly on the support pages - fix list states RTC stop issue cured:

Model Name

BIOS

ECN NO.

Z87-A

EN-0204103

Z87-C

EN-0204123

Z87-PRO

EN-0204140

Z87-PLUS

EN-0204149

Z87-EXPERT

EN-0204089

Z87-DELUXE

EN-0204139

Z87-DELUXE-QUAD

EN-0204143

Z87-DELUXE-DUAL

EN-0204141

GRYPHON-Z87

EN-0204171

VANGUARD-B85

EN-0204173

ROG boards to follow.

Wickman
06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Christmas is coming in summer this year.

:D

Raja@ASUS
06-11-2014, 05:36 PM
It's always Christmas in Sweden :)

Wickman
06-11-2014, 05:53 PM
It's always Christmas in Sweden :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MFducncsg

:)

geneo
06-13-2014, 05:58 PM
UEFI builds 2*** released or will be up shortly on the support pages - fix list states RTC stop issue cured:

Model Name

BIOS

ECN NO.

Z87-A

EN-0204103

Z87-C

EN-0204123

Z87-PRO

EN-0204140

Z87-PLUS

EN-0204149

Z87-EXPERT

EN-0204089

Z87-DELUXE

EN-0204139

Z87-DELUXE-QUAD

EN-0204143

Z87-DELUXE-DUAL

EN-0204141

GRYPHON-Z87

EN-0204171

VANGUARD-B85

EN-0204173

ROG boards to follow.

Will these new BIOS will be based off of the non-beta version BIOS and not the DC beta?

Raja@ASUS
06-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Look at the version number - that will tell you which build it supersedes.

geneo
06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Look at the version number - that will tell you which build it supersedes.

What I was getting at is I hope the fix is not applied only to a beta revision of the BIOS, but at least/also to the most recent stable revision.

Oubadah
06-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Why doesn't it actually state that in the changelog on the download page? All it says is something about "System performance".

zeraoo98
06-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Model Name

BIOS

ECN NO.

Z87-A

EN-0204103

Z87-C

EN-0204123

Z87-PRO

EN-0204140

Z87-PLUS

EN-0204149

Z87-EXPERT

EN-0204089

Z87-DELUXE

EN-0204139

Z87-DELUXE-QUAD

EN-0204143

Z87-DELUXE-DUAL

EN-0204141

GRYPHON-Z87

EN-0204171

VANGUARD-B85

EN-0204173

ROG boards to follow.

When is "to follow"?

Raja@ASUS
06-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Whenever the builds are ready is "to follow". I don't give estimates.

Raja@ASUS
06-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Why doesn't it actually state that in the changelog on the download page? All it says is something about "System performance".I don't write the change logs so don't know.

kmjsuperfly
06-16-2014, 02:36 PM
I don't see the Sabertooth on the list. Is that also going to get the update?

Rahn1701
06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Has anyone had this issue with the Z97 boards?

Yes. I just did a build around the Sabertooth Z97 Mk 1, and I have had the same clock issue. I've tried all mentioned methods. Resetting the RTC worked for a few days, but the problem returned. I tried again, making sure to use the 'reset during standby' method. It's only been two days, but so far, so good.

I have always used ASUS boards. From my A8V Deluxe to the Maximus Formula, and now the Sabertooth Z97 Mk 1. I find it disturbing for such an issue that is so wide spread and (now) dated to have not been corrected on a new generation of boards.

EDIT: Now, two and a half weeks after I thought I had the issue solved, it has returned.

I went through the steps again. This will get old fast.

I have also noted the same symptom as another poster:

If I understand correctly that 'stand by' means the PC is shutdown, but the PSU is on...

I move the jumper to pins 2 & 3, no problem.

When I remove the jumper to place it back on to pins 1 & 2, the PC starts up.

DrFPS
06-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Maximus VI HERO users:

The above information does correct the clock issue. Its been 12hrs, I'm putting the board through it paces. It seems to be fixed **YEA

dmz0427
06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
I would like to know who took my last post out/down,
What assus can't you handle the truth, well then you should not have sold us all crappy Mother boards ,,,, what any body says ,, you should suck it up and move forward and fix or correct the problem .... or issue new boards to the consumer that you screwed, that work right and can keep time
a simple things as the clock ,,, and you cant get it right ,,,, and you people know that all computers, work everything by time (the clock)

take another one of my post down ,,, I promise that I will follow through with the complaint to the US attorney general and get a investigation on/against you ( a class action suit)
quit being morons except that you screwed up and correct it ,,, you did it ,,, now correct it ,,,, at what ever cost .... PERIOD
DMZ

Raja@ASUS
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Any threads about the Maximus boards will be moved to the Maximus clock thread. I moved a bunch the other day and just moved a couple more.

Any posts with expletives or personal attacks will also be removed.

As long as a post is free from the things above the post can stay.

JackNaylorPE
06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Maximus VI HERO users:

The above information does correct the clock issue. Its been 12hrs, I'm putting the board through it paces. It seems to be fixed **YEA

I have gone six weeks w/o the problem surfacing .... also had it happen 3 times in a day. Until Asus officially says "We fixed it", I don't think we can say we're OK.

And thanks again Raja for sticking with us on this issue. I called Asus TS this morning and they say they are "unaware" of the issue. And while I appreciate the offer to RMA the board, I think it would better serve Asus and its customers if everyone wasn't wasting their time and money sending boards back and forth for a fix that's supposed "in the works" to come via BIOS update.

ws2014
06-29-2014, 04:10 AM
Maximus VI HERO users:

which above information are you referring to exactly?
I recently bought a maximus vi and having problems with the clock... :(

Nicholas Steel
07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Is the Sabertooth motherboard recieving a BIOS update to this issue? The v2004 BIOS update (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z87/HelpDesk_Download/) listed on the ASUS website that was released in June only mentions:

SABERTOOTH Z87 BIOS 2004 and BIOS updater
Improve System performance

*Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors.
Note: I am specifically asking about the first version of the motherboard, not the MKI or MKII.

CDreier
07-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Is the Sabertooth motherboard recieving a BIOS update to this issue? The v2004 BIOS update (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z87/HelpDesk_Download/) listed on the ASUS website that was released in June only mentions:

Note: I am specifically asking about the first version of the motherboard, not the MKI or MKII. I applied the update to my Sabertooth Z87 several weeks ago. Knock on wood, but up to this point I've not had any issue with the clock.

deWiced
07-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Hello!

I really don't know where else to turn since I have a month old asus z97-A motherboard with the clock issue. New boards, so there doesn't seem to be much written about them so far.

From what I gathered there's no need for opening the case and reseting the clock etc? Just flash bios and voila? Is it possible that the latest bios could fix the same issue for my z97-A?

edit: Forgot to ask if "standby cmos reset" is still needed after flashing? And isn't this dangerous for me/frying the board, since I'd be touching the cap/pins while there is some current stil flowing in the motherboard? Do I need to ground myself or at least connect the antistatic bracelet to the case? Also while the pc is turned off but still plugged in I see no red light, only the green "pwr_led" one. Is that the same one as the red in z87 boards?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to accidentally bust the board.

Thanks in advance!
iced

edit: Flashed bios to version 1205 and clock started ticking without performing the standby cmos reset. Of course this is on default settings. Will try with xmp and ram on 1600.

JackNaylorPE
07-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Nothing suggested so far has been a permanent fix. I have a least 8 builds stacked up waiting .... if not fixed by the time the M7F drops, I'm gonna reconfigure the builds with alternate board selections. Was really looking forward to FanXpert3 and the extra PWM Headers but w/ no fix will figure something else out.