PDA

View Full Version : SSD Boot Drive Help

ES Designs
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I got my G53SW yesterday and today I got my 128gb Crucial M4 SSD. I think I know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up the OS on the SSD, but what I'm not sure of is what the best way is to clear the OS and data from factory HDD and format it so it can be used as the secondary drive for data storage and user profiles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JRd1st
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
You should wait a few days to be sure your ssd stays working. I see stries all the time where people install an ssd and it seems fine then it craps out.

Anyway, go into Administrative tools, then Computer management and there are tools in there where you can delete a partition, add a partition, and change drive letter.

ES Designs
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
You should wait a few days to be sure your ssd stays working. I see stries all the time where people install an ssd and it seems fine then it craps out.

Anyway, go into Administrative tools, then Computer management and there are tools in there where you can delete a partition, add a partition, and change drive letter.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a backup image to DVD yesterday. I'm going to use the DVD image to install the OS on the SSD (that way I'll know if the DVD backup is good) and then I'll have the DVD backup in case my SSD were to fail. Does that make sense? I also plan on backing up the SSD image to the secondary HDD.

JRd1st
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I guess it makes sense as long as the tool you used to make the image knows how to resize when you go to restore the image to your ssd.

I use Acronis and it DOES. I don't know the capabilities of the other imaging tools. Also, it's better to make images to hdd rather than on dvd as dvd images aren't nerly as reliable. I guess because they are usually split.

ES Designs
10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Ok, I have both drives physically in laptop. I ran my DVD recovery and image, but apparently it didn't apply it to the SSD even though I had placed the SSD in the physical position of the HDD. So, I basically copied onto the original HDD what was already on it. So now what? What's the best thing to do from here? I'd prefer not to have to take drives out and back in again. How can I get the drive letter on the SSD to be C: when the letter C: is already assigned to the HDD? I made my recovery image DVDs using the built in Windows utility.

JRd1st
10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
1. Didn't the ssd drive you bought come with a program to clone your system to the ssd?
2. Does that Paragon program you have allow you to make a bootable version on dvd or cd?
3. In any case, you need something on bootable media

ES Designs
10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I have bootable DVD image. I guess my main question is how do I get the drive letter on the SSD to be C: when it's already taken by the HDD?

JRd1st
10-05-2011, 12:25 AM
You need to have a program on a bootable cd with which to change the drive letter. Change c: to e:, change d: to c:, change e: to d:

You'll probably have to change the boot order in the BIOS, too.

ES Designs
10-05-2011, 01:40 AM
You need to have a program on a bootable cd with which to change the drive letter. Change c: to e:, change d: to c:, change e: to d:

You'll probably have to change the boot order in the BIOS, too.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Do you know of such a program? Is there one you recommend. I can clone the SSD with the image currently on the HDD, but the drive letters on the SDD partitions would be E: and F: or something like that. I'm assuming that I could boot from the SSD then (SSD is first in the bios), but I don't want my primary drive being E: instead of C:

Kipper
10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Remove the Spinning drive, install the SSD, boot to the DVD with the image on it.

When it finishes the system will automatically label the SSD as Drive C.

I would leave the spinner drive just setting there for a week without wiping it just in case the SSD does fail. After a week and if you are happy with the SSD then you can put the spinner back in the other hard drive slot and boot up the system and then go into the systems tools, disk management and format it.

Or use a free tool like this format program (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html) to wipe the old drive and then create a new volume on it for storage or whatever.

I think it would have been safer for you to have used an external hard drive to save your image to; much more reliable than anything burned to a DVD or CD for sure.

ES Designs
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Or use a free tool like this format program (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html) to wipe the old drive and then create a new volume on it for storage or whatever.

Thanks for all the help Kipper.
Will this free program allow me to get rid of the D: partition on the SSD and expand the C: partition to use the space that the D: partition previously occupied? I plan on making my 500gb HDD drive letter D: and storing my data on that hard drive. Also would it make sense for me to get rid of the hidden backup partition and then put a hidden partition on the HDD with a backup image of the SSD? I have the SSD up and running. Much quicker to boot up! Thanks again for the help...really!

xeromist
10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes, the partition program should be able to delete and expand like that. Or if you want you can just delete the partition from within Windows and expand using the Disk Management interface included in Windows 7.

I would not mess with the hidden partition if you want the restore to work. You have to be able to boot from it to use the F9 option and I'm not sure what having the restore partition on a separate drive from the one you want to use would do for you. Of course you don't really need it if you have a win 7 DVD available. You can just install the OS from scratch and install drivers as necessary. Usually you have to put the wireless driver on a thumb drive and then once you connect to the internet you can download everything else.

ES Designs
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
xeromist, thanks for tip on the hidden partition. Would I be able to shrink the size of the hidden partition? Or will that also cause problems with F9 backup option? I'm at work so I don't remember exactly how large it is, but it seemed to be larger than necessary.

Is it safe to install the original HDD internally again, or will it cause problems since both the SSD and HDD will have OS on it? In the bios it is set up to boot from the SSD. Or should I use the USB to SATA cable to format the HDD before installing it back in the second hard drive bay?

xeromist
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
It's ok for them to both exist. You could have two copies and boot back & forth if you wanted.

You could probably shrink the partition but I'm not really sure why it's sized that way. It could be larger because it uses the space to unpack things and that would break the restore if it needs the space. I suppose you could try shrinking it on the spinning drive before you clean it and see if that drive can do the restore process properly.

ES Designs
10-05-2011, 07:49 PM
It's ok for them to both exist. You could have two copies and boot back & forth if you wanted.

Ok, I just wasn't sure since the drive letters are the same on both drives, or will windows automatically change the letters on the secondary drive?

This might seem dumb, but once I get things set up on the SSD the way I want, would it be possible to clone the OS partition from the SSD onto the HDD? If so, would that allow me to boot from the HDD if the SSD were to die or stop working for some reason? I'm not worried about the space the OS partition would use on the HDD, I would still have more than enough storage. Does this make sense?

xeromist
10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, you can clone the partition. The key is to make sure that you use a cloning program that is compatible with Windows 7 installations. Windows 7 does things differently so older cloning programs don't always work. The best thing would be to create the clone and then try booting from that drive to make sure that it actually works.

As to the drive letters, they should default to the next highest available letters. Worst case scenario, if for some reason they are trying to use the same letters the drives just won't appear in Explorer.

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks xeromist.

I have copied the OS partition to the spinning drive, my next question is should I make that partition the primary partition on that drive or keep it a logical partition? Also how does the hidden partition work? Is that something I should be doing regular back ups to? Sorry for all the questions (if you can't tell this is my first time dealing with this kind of stuff) I appreciate all your help.

xeromist
10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
I believe it has to be primary in order for Windows to boot; at least that used to be the case. If you can boot to that drive without it then it doesn't really matter. The hidden partition is just a clean installation of Windows with the ASUS drivers & such already applied. It doesn't take regular backups or anything.

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Alright, good to know.

Now that I have the SSD running how do I check to see if Trim is working properly and how do I make sure that Windows will not try to defrag it? Are there any other essential things I should check on the SSD?

xeromist
10-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Win7 has any automatic schedule for defragmentation. You have to manually execute it and obviously you wouldn't do that.

to check on TRIM, go to the command prompt and type:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

If it's 0 then you're good, if not type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Win7 has any automatic schedule for defragmentation. You have to manually execute it and obviously you wouldn't do that.

to check on TRIM, go to the command prompt and type:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

If it's 0 then you're good, if not type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

Trim was enabled and when I went into schedule defrag, the SSD doesn't show up as drive that can be defragmented, just my HDD. Way to go Windows 7.