PDA

View Full Version : How to reinstall Windows 7 64bits ?

grosbill
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I got a newbie question. I didn't get a DVD/CD to reinstall the system on my G74. I know the reinstall system is a part of the notebook (on a hidden partition), how can I reinstall my system then ?

There is a button / menu I should push/go ?

Thanks.

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
If you want to do a restore I can't help you because the first thing I did was to reformat the HDD, get rid of the hidden restore partition, and clean install windows. But I think f9 at the POST screen is supposed to take you into ASUS recovery.

But if you want to Clean Install Windows 7 Home Premium, go HERE (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers)and download the Windows 7 iso, burn it to a DVD, and you're almost all ready. That post has most of the drivers you need so download them and put them on your other drive or a flash drive.

Let your notebook reboot with the DVD you just burned (you may have to set boot priority in the BIOS to 1st - dvd, 2nd - HDD), and follow directions. (I would get rid of the Restore Partition, too.)

Once you have windows installed you need to install the chipset drivers, then all the rest - nVidia Graphics, WLAN, LAN, Realtek HD Audio, Touchpad, USB 3.0, mouse if applicable, etc, until you have no more unknown devices in Device Manager.

I'll be around part of today if you need advice. Good luck!

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Here is a page that discusses how to perform an ASUS Factory Restore: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4162-restore-an-asus-netbook-to-factory-settings

You can do the Factory Restore from the DVD's you create or just hit F9 at the ASUS splash screen to launch it from the hidden ASUS partition. The result will be Windows 7 and all the pre-installed ASUS programs will be installed, just as it was when it came out of the box.

NOTE: If you want to eliiminate the ASUS bloatware, JR's clean Windows 7 installation is the way to go....

grosbill
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Great, thanks a lot !!

gnrpatience
12-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Hello,

I want to restore my Asus G73S by using the Asus restore utility F9, I have four partitions:
C:(Windows 7 Installed, Primary Partition),
D:(Logical Drive where i have all of my Data),
E: Primary Partition and some Data
F:Primary Partition Empty Partition

When pressing F9 it gaves me 3 options to reinstall Windows
Reinstall Windows Primary Partition,
Reinstall windows Entire HD
Reinstall Windows Entire HD with Two Partitions

If i choose First option will only format C: drive ? I dont want to lose all my personal data.
What will do each option ?

Thanks!

xeromist
12-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Yes, the first option is just for windows the second wipes everything and only installs windows and the last wipes everything and also gives you a data drive.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Would Asus backup/restore work with a clean install? Not that I'd use it, I'm just curious.

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Would Asus backup/restore work with a clean install? Not that I'd use it, I'm just curious.

I knew you'd be cryin' because you're missing that Rotational Desktop! ;>{)>

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 02:57 PM
no, i mean to make a backup of the clean install. to use it as an actual tool instead of as a curse. lol

xeromist
12-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Good question. I'm pretty sure it's considered read only by all of the ASUS tools. That is to say that there is no function within the tools to update the restore partition with your own configuration. That would pretty much be a recipe for more support calls when people hose their restore partitions. You might be able to hack your own image into it but I don't know how the restore process works exactly. I'm think the files are compressed or packed into cab's to reduce the footprint. It's not just a loader and a system ISO or something.

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
No, it's very much a "closed" installer. If you knew what you were doing, you could set up a similar unattended installation routine for your own install, but there's no advantage. The point of the factory restore is to get back the Windows OOBE, and there's no need for that with a clean install. An image immediately after the clean install would be faster and better.

gnrpatience
12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Hello,

I want to restore my Asus G73S by using the Asus restore utility F9, I have four partitions:
C:(Windows 7 Installed, Primary Partition),
D:(Logical Drive where i have all of my Data),
E: Primary Partition and some Data
F:Primary Partition Empty Partition

When pressing F9 it gaves me 3 options to reinstall Windows
Reinstall Windows Primary Partition,
Reinstall windows Entire HD
Reinstall Windows Entire HD with Two Partitions

If i choose First option will only format C: drive ? I dont want to lose all my personal data.
What will do each option ?

Thanks!

Thanks.

So first option wont touch any other drive than C: ? D:, E:, F: Will remain the same.
Second option will format all drives and allocate all space into C: drive ?
Third Option Wwill format all drives and reinstall windows into C: drive and will create the other three partitions d:, e: f: ?

Many Thanks!

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks.

So first option wont touch any other drive than C: ? D:, E:, F: Will remain the same.
Second option will format all drives and allocate all space into C: drive ?
Third Option Wwill format all drives and reinstall windows into C: drive and will create the other three partitions d:, e: f: ?

Many Thanks!

Not quite.

Option 1: Uses only your current primary partition (C) for Windows
Option 2: Uses all hard drive space after the recovery partition, including (C) and any other partitions you have on that hard drive
Option 3: Also uses all the hard drive space after the recovery partition, again overwriting all partitions on that hard drive. But it divides the space into one partition for Windows and one for data.

None of the options does anything at all to your secondary hard drive. Only the primary hard disk (the one that currently has Windows on it) it used by the factory restore.

gnrpatience
12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply!

BrodyBoy
12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply!
Just keep in mind that "drives," as designated by drive letters (C, D, E, etc.) is not synonymous with "hard drives." It's important to understand WHERE your lettered drives (partitions) are physically located, i.e., which hard disk they are on. You and I might both have a (D) partition, for example, but yours might be on your primary hard disk, right after the (C) partition, while mine might be on my second hard disk.

Sometimes people doing the factory restore don't realize this and assume that (C) is their whole primary hard disk. If they select Option 2 or 3 in the factory restore, they accidentally wipe out other partitions that they didn't realize reside on that same hard disk with (C).

Though this sounds pretty basic to those who already understand this stuff, lots of people don't, and they easily make the mistake (in factory restores and new Windows installs) of unknowingly deleting/overwriting the wrong partitions. :(

johngloid
12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Just wanted to say THANKS for this thread.

I don't get why Asus a) shipped without a recovery CD and b) had to leave all their bloatware on the recovery partition

And their tech support wouldn't give me this option (download Win7 and install with cdkey under machine).

Cheers!;)

dstrakele
12-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Just wanted to say THANKS for this thread.

I don't get why Asus a) shipped without a recovery CD and b) had to leave all their bloatware on the recovery partition

And their tech support wouldn't give me this option (download Win7 and install with cdkey under machine).

Cheers!;)

These days, most computers ship without a recovery CD. You are prompted to create your own when you first access Windows Setup. It's a way for computer manufacturers to save some money in this low margin business. They may make deals with software developers to include applications installed with the Windows OS or in ASUS' case develop some of their own applications to pre-install in an attempt to make their systems more competitive with other companies.

ASUS tech support probably didn't offer the clean Windows 7 install option because they are trained only to support the OEM Windows 7 install with the ASUS Bloatware and all the drivers pre-installed. Problems with a clean Windows 7 installation are handled by Microsoft Technical Support.

reifnotreef
05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know of a Recovery Image I could download?

I'm looking for a recovery image of a fresh windows install+drivers to use with the Windows Image Recovery

BrodyBoy
05-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know of a Recovery Image I could download?

I'm looking for a recovery image of a fresh windows install+drivers to use with the Windows Image RecoveryThere's no such image available. If you don't have the recovery partition (or a set of recovery DVDs) for your laptop model, you have two options:

If you want the original Asus software installation, with all the programs and drivers that shipped on the computer as new, you can buy a set of recovery disks from Asus. The ones I've seen go for $50.
If you still have a valid OEM Windows license associated with that computer, you can use a Windows installer to perform a manual clean install. In this case, you'd need to download and install all the drivers and programs yourself.