PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Matrix 5870 Platinum Lag with World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

acid_rain
12-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I'm having terrible frame-rate issues with the new World of Warcraft expansion, Cataclysm. Standing still, I get over 100 fps on maximum settings but the moment I move to the left or right, my framerates go under two. I've done everything, like check my DirectX version, and updated to latest. Flashed my rom, updated to the latest possible release of the driver from ASUS, put the settings of WoW and Catalyst both on the lowest settings possible. My CPU is not getting a heavy load, and neither my CPU or graphics card is overheating while in game. I have no other FPS problems with any other game, and I can run Crysis at full settings with absolutely no frame-rate issues. I have plenty of RAM available, and my hard drive still has plenty of free space to keep things running quick. Any help?

My System Specifications

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):
System Memory (GB):
Video Card Model:
ASUS EAH5870 Series
Video Card Driver:
atklumdisp.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080
Hard Disk Size (GB):
Hard Disk Free Space (GB):

Brian@ASUS
12-12-2010, 12:17 PM
try getting the latest catalyst drivers from ati's site.

Takornok
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Brian@ASUS, In a totally hetero way, I LOVE YOU. I searched through countless forums, and sadly had to find this post deep in a google search about to give up when... oh great another generic answer. I was almost certain your answer was more generic BS... But then i noticed the post was over a week ago, and the original poster did not reply, usually meaning problem solved... THANK YOU SO MUCH how could i overlook something so simple. I really didnt think Catalyst CC had much to do with the lag i was experiencing on world of warcraft cataclysm. I would have never tried it and was very skeptical, as my VGA Driver is up to date. Now im running effortlessly like every other game i play. And this post doesnt even apply to my particular video card. (EAH5550) Thanks again, and i hope you can figure out how to make this post easier to find for anyone else experiencing these FPS problems with WOW/Cataclysm... as this is the only forum post that didnt say, oh you should upgrade everything... its all your fault! Your the man brian@asus!

Swiss Invaders
12-23-2010, 05:50 AM
always start with a driver.

its the only way to go

Takornok
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Thats the thing tho, i just got my new card, 3 weeks ago. and the driver i installed with disc was the most current, i double checked that in control panel. i didnt know that catalyst(CCC) had drivers you need to upgrade over your vga driver...

XZEMi
12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Ok, i'm going to be mean today, Return it for a NVIDIA based card.

Takornok
01-01-2011, 07:57 AM
You know something, i think your right xzemi... i had the same problem after solving the issue 2 days later... updated Catalyst drivers again, Bingo!! 2 more days of maximum settings with no fps issues... Next thing you know i have 0 fps, on lowest settings. This problem is only with world of warcraft. and ive heard now that there have been problems before with WOW and ati cards. Wonderful. I'm pretty happy with the card in general, but if it wont run my favorite game consistantly then its worthless to me. I'm off to update drivers again. Woohoo 2 more days of clean play if im lucky. *cross fingers*

Carbon00ace
01-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Having the same issue as Tak and Acid. I was just in a Raid boss tonight and died because my whopping 6FPS didn't allow me to see fire on ground. I have the g73jh-A1 with the HD5870 and CCC 10.12. I have tried EVERYTHING and at this point I think I'll have to quit the game I bought this PC for. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian@ASUS
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
carbon, have you looked into the G73 thread and the GSOD Vbios update? it realllllllllly like realllllllllly helps with FPS issues. and for everyone else, USUALLY its best to keep up to date on nvidia and ati driver sites as they will always always come out with updated drivers and performance enhancements. and it is quite possible from many years of experience that any company whether its asus, nvidia, or ati may have a wonky driver issue but this should get resolved within the next update because everyone will complain.

currently, nvidia supposedly has the best support for wow. non the less sometimes ati and its drivers may have issues, and that is entirely on the ati side. all ASUS can really do is make the best product possible with the GPU core that is provided. i would say 70% relies on the GPU manufacture, 30% is on the partners like ASUS to enhance the quality from our competitors. hope this helps.

Carbon00ace
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Brian, I just updated the Vbios this past wednesday from the instructions on the G73 forum. Still no luck man. Just frustrated beyond belief at this point that ATI has not addressed this issue as WoW has the highest user base and it's a known issue. Any recomendations on another bad ass MMO that I can sink another 2+ yrs of my gaming career into? Thanks for all your help.