cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help With Finding The Correct SATA Cable For G74SX Internal HDD

Enigma
Level 9
A few weeks ago I bought a 2nd internal notebook HDD so that I can place it in my G74SX's 2nd empty drive bay. So I already have the drive caddy and the HDD. But when I tried to install it, I noticed that I would need a SATA cable that would connect the drive to the motherboard, as it doesn't hook in the way I thought that it would. I bought the HDD from NewEgg and no SATA cable was included.Here is a link to the sales page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136545

So I searched the ASUS E-Store for " sata cable" and a few entries came up but it looks like none of them are compatible with G74SX model. After that I called the E-Store hotline, they confirmed that none of the cables will work in my situation. So it looks like I'll have to buy one from a 3rd party. I've already been to Best Buy, CompUSA, and a few other computer supply stores, none of them have what I need. The SATA cables they sell are for desktops rather than notebooks.

So my question is, can someone please point out a website that sells the cable I need that will be compatible with G74SX. A direct link to the product page would be even more helpful, since I have absolutely no idea which cables will be compatible and which will not, much less which website sells what I need.

Thanks!
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".
14 REPLIES 14

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Did you check your G74's packaging very carefully? The SATA board and cable should be in there somewhere. They're missing in some boxes, but check thoroughly before you order any parts.

Note that I said "SATA board" and cable. You need more than just a cable.

Here's what the two parts look like:

I actually have the box right here with me in the same room, just checked it and couldn't find anything that looks like the picture you posted. I bought the laptop from CompUSA, it was supposed to be new, not a refurb. There are a few pieces of paper in the box but that's it. So now I need to know where I can buy what you posted a pic of on the ASUS eStore, or where else I can find the correct cable.

Thanks!
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

BrodyBoy
Level 10
The Asus eStore has the cable, but not the board. You can order the whole HDD accessory kit on eBay.

Thanks for the link, but when I called the E-Store hotline they had me under the impression that they didnt have the cable at all. They never mentioned anything about needing a board. the kit youve linked to on eBay seems to have everything i need so im going to buy it. Although the kit includes a HDD caddy but i already have one, im only missing the cable/board. i guess it cant hurt to have a spare caddy around though.

Thanks for the help!

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Thanks for the link, but when I called the E-Store hotline they had me under the impression that they didnt have the cable at all.

Remember, they are a store....not tech support. Considering the scores of Asus notebook models, and the thousands of parts that go into all of them, you can't really expect a phone rep there to know the specific parts required for each model.

Even though you'll have an extra caddy, at least you'll know you have all the right parts when you go to install your drive. (And there are places that charge almost that much just for those little screws!)

-Prophet-
Level 7
Considering that the seller on ebay no longer has the board on sell, I thought that I should include a link to a new location.

http://pcpartsnmore.ecrater.com/p/16225270/asus-g74sx-usb-board-and-cable

This place has both the cable and the board. I hope this helps anyone looking for the part!

I've been searching for a few day now trying to find a source online that would still have the 2 hard drive connector for sale. I bought my G74SX about a year and a half ago, I can't find it ANYWHERE! Does anyone have one they'd like to sell / trade perhaps?

-Prophet-
Level 7
Check the link above. I just purchased mine so the are in stock there.

Best regards

I'm also trying to find this part and the link above is for a usb card, does anyone else know of another place I really need this ASAP
Thanks