cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing driver issues after crash

Retired
Not applicable
Model: G72GX-RBBX05 (best buy model)

My system recently caught a virus that destroyed my hard drive files... it took out the recovery partition along with it sadly.. So I had to use a Windows 7 disc from my other machine to reinstall everything.

I've managed to get a lot of drivers reinstalled but the system is still not what I'd consider stable.

I'm a gamer and I need my sound drivers functional 100% of the time. Since my system crash I have yet to get my sound fixed. I do have sound, but things like Ventrilo and Windows show me with things like having 2 microphones which messes vent up all the time. I also have very low volume on the laptop speakers, my Creative HD panel says I have no device anymore.

I'm really at a miss here. I'm open to suggestions on my sound drivers. I also need to find a link to purchase restore CD/DVDs.

Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

Retired
Not applicable
Can anyone point me in the right direction for drivers? I hate the Asus download section because there to many choices and no way to tell which one I need. Which is probably why I have my current issues with sound.

xeromist
Mostly the ASUS download section is sorted by the order in which things were released with the most recent at the top. With the "Download from" options under any given item they are all the same file, just some might be faster than others.

One thing to be careful of is to get the correct driver for your version of Windows. Sometimes there are 32 and 64 bit drivers. I've never tried it but it may be possible to install both at once and that would definitely cause two of everything to show up. If you think this is what has happened then I would uninstall all audio drivers and software and then just install one and only one driver package.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Well heres the bad part for my system.. theres 2 sets of drivers in the download section. One is Realtek and the other is Creative. Creative is what the computer had pre-installed before my system crashed. I was able to use the Creative volume panel and utils all that jazz.

Now I have a standard Windows "High Definition Audio Device" driver installed because neither driver on the Asus download site work. Creative tells me it can't find a compatible device on my system and the Realtek ones setup.exe is corrupt.

Its coming down to just ordering the recovery CDs and just wiping again to Asus factory settings. Kinda sad.

xeromist
You may still be able to recover by uninstalling everything carefully but if they have any shared resources one install may have overwritten the other and uninstallation would be a manual job. I would try to uninstall all of the software that you can find and then make sure that the device is uninstalled from the device manager. If you reboot and it's still installed then you may have to find the driver cache that it is reloading from. If you can do all of this to the point that it will no longer install or only show up as a generic device then you should (in theory) be able to just install the package that you want and not have conflicts.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the help.. but sadly this still didn't resolve my issue. Regardless of what I do Windows 7 always installs the crappy universal drivers. So far the sound on this laptop is the only thing I can't get working properly on a fresh windows install.

xeromist
Hrmm, bummer. Sometimes you can uninstall the drivers for a device and as long as Windows isn't connected to the internet it cannot download a new one. Beyond that you'd have to manually remove them from whatever driver cash it is using which is a pain. Usually it won't reinstall during the same Windows session so if you can uninstall everything and then reinstall the appropriate driver before rebooting that might work.

Retired
Not applicable
in win7 you have the default audio but you should also be able to install the realtek drivers.

you can try downloading the latest drivers from the realtek website: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

Retired
Not applicable
it's an easy fix really i mean i went to asus web sight support and got all my drivers downloaded from there all i did was type in g72gx and model number and bang all the drivers i needed were right there and everyone was the correct driver if you have 64 bit or 32 bit most these drivers are packed with both drivers for 32 and 64 bit systems. and will auto detect while installation begines. thats really the only answer just reinstall the drivers they will be over written and im sure this will work..i also have the best buy version g72gx it has never been a problem with viruses but mine frezzez up with yahoo messenger and skype i ccant even get on. but i lost the driver disk that came with this asus and then i used the sight to get all of them and see it works great if you want i could email you the correct sound driver lol that would bbe easyer. my email is pcwizard37@yahoo.com hope i can help bye

Hi,
No need to worry you can fix up your drivers issue by using the Driver Navigator Software. It helps you to fix up any sort of driver issue such as missing driver disc or any other driver related problem.
http://www.softwaredownloadcentre.com/software/driver-navigator.php