cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer screen freezes then goes black

WalkingHeart
Level 7
hey all.. First post in this wonderfully designed website.. now for the question.. i have an asus g73sw, and i can Not get it to stay unfrozen.. I tried getting help from asus, and there answer is always the same for all problems, either system restore, or go back to how it came out of the box.. and I have tried Everything every website has told me to do, and I've gotten Nowhere.. Now I don't know if its the screen or the computer or what it is.. It started (screen) go out, then come right back on when i moved my computer.. didn't do it again until my computer started freezing up, which was around the first of the year, and I blamed that on something else.. then I started doing something on it friday night and the screen froze up again, Plus the screen went black.. I waited a good 45min later and turned it back on.. Screen lit up, no problems.. Until I went to do something again, it froze up, but the screen went black Right after it froze up.. am I making any sense at all to y'all?? i was up all day yesterday trying to figuring it out, and i've been up since 6:30am reading So many things, and I am pooped out right now.. Please help if you can.. tia..
6 REPLIES 6

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You say you've tried "everything." Can you elaborate? Did you actually do the factory restore? Did you repair/update any drivers? Did your try a system restore back to a point before the issue started.

Also, when you say the screen freezes.....are we talking about a display issue only, are do you mean to say that the system freezes? It's difficult to tell, from your description, whether this is purely a "screen" or display issue, or whether you're a broader Windows/system issue?

BrodyBoy wrote:
You say you've tried "everything." Can you elaborate? Did you actually do the factory restore? Did you repair/update any drivers? Did your try a system restore back to a point before the issue started.

Also, when you say the screen freezes.....are we talking about a display issue only, are do you mean to say that the system freezes? It's difficult to tell, from your description, whether this is purely a "screen" or display issue, or whether you're a broader Windows/system issue?

Tried the system restore, didn't do the whole, 'factory restore' i have lots of programs i'd like not to lose.. i haven't repaired any drivers or install any.. What I mean by 'freezing up' is I'll be doing something on it, then all the sudden the cursor won't move, it won't go into task manager, none of the f keys work.. oh, when the system froze one time, the screen went black. I forced shut down, then when i tried to boot back up, there was just a black screen.. i hope that helps, if not i'll try my best to answer what you need to know.. thank you for your quick response.. i will be out for a few hours but will get Right back to you when i get back.. thank you again..

dstrakele
Level 14
How long have you had your G73SW?

Have you installed any temperature monitoring software, such as SpeedFan, HWINFO64, or RealTemp? It would be useful to determine the idle temperatures of your CPU and GPU as well as log temperatures so you can see where they're at when the system freezes.

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software have you installed to your system?

What version video driver are you currently running?

Don't be afraid to get a friend who is experienced with computers to help you and/or help you answer these questions.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
How long have you had your G73SW?

Have you installed any temperature monitoring software, such as SpeedFan, HWINFO64, or RealTemp? It would be useful to determine the idle temperatures of your CPU and GPU as well as log temperatures so you can see where they're at when the system freezes.

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software have you installed to your system?

What version video driver are you currently running?

Don't be afraid to get a friend who is experienced with computers to help you and/or help you answer these questions.

Thanks for getting back with me.. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I closed the lid on my computer and let it alone yesterday i was so flabbergasted over this.. Now to answer your questions.. I have Avast Free Antivirus, IObit Malware Fighter (free), I use Windows 7's Firewall, and as far as I know I've not installed any Remote Access Software..

The version of video driver is a Nvidia Geforce Cuda, GTX 460m 1.5gb.. and I'm reading that off the front of the computer where it shows what all the computer has in it..

And I know a Little about computers.. not much but I've installed a hard drive and done two clean installs.. I know that's not much, but I Do Love to learn all I can about them..

Guess what? I think it's my screen.. I just turned my computer on, and waited because i had to force shut down on it yesterday, and knew it had to go through the, 'start windows normally' thing, and sure enough it made the sound like it does when i have to put my password in.. could the connection be loose??.. I don't know, I'm at a loss here.. my brother is coming over with his old screen (same make and model) he has because he upgraded his screen, and he's coming after work and helping me.. in the meantime if there's Any other advice you can give me it would truly be appreciated.. especially if there's someway i can save My screen, and I don't have to send my computer back for a new screen..

dstrakele
Level 14
1) How recently have you experienced these lockups where the screen goes blank? If recent, using Wiindows Restore to restore your system to an earlier time before the lockups is your first troubleshooting step. If that fails, you can restore the most Windows System State backup you made where your system was in a stable state.

2) If you uninstall Avast Antivirus and IObit Malware Fighter, does it resolve your lockup issues? I use Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Never had an issue with 'em...

3) I was interested in the version number of the NVIDIA software driver currently installed on your system. This number may be obtained from the Properties of your NVIDIA display adapter in Device Manager. You may wish to re-install or update the video driver to further troubleshoot this issue.

4) If you attach your laptop to an external monitor via the HDMI or VGA ports, does it display Windows properly when your laptop display is blank? This will help determine if the video issues are limited to your laptop display.

5) How long have you had your G73SW?

6) As I posted earlier, it is important to choose a utility that monitors CPU and GPU temperatures to determine if your system is overheating. Any one of the three I mentioned in my previous post will do. We'd like to get the CPU and GPU temperatures of your system at idle as well as when the lockup occurs. You will have to configure the software to log temperatures to get the latter data.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

The issue is when the laptop sits idle for a period - the OS goes away and the system is sitting at a cursor on a blank screen. Also have been getting errors when rebooting that their is no bootable device. I have to completely power down and reboot sometimes multiple times before it finally boots and takes me to the windows recovery screen. I have a U46E.