cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing repair turn-around time

Retired
Not applicable
I've now been quoted (twice) that it will be 8-10 weeks turn-around time from repair.

Why is this not stated in any of the warranty information? Dell doesn't even take that long to repair an issue (longest turn-around from Dell that I've experienced: one week for a bad North Bridge).

I'm pretty disappointed. This is not just a gaming PC to me, but a production system as well. 8-10 weeks is a significant amount of time to be out of business.

I'm now wondering why I chose this over one of the other options. If I have to be without this for 8-10 weeks, I'd rather ship it to repair under RMA and go buy a replacement from another manufacturer and sell this on Ebay or somewhere.

I'm out of options, and actually feeling regret for choosing this laptop.
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Was this quoted by BestBuy or ASUS?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Was this quoted by BestBuy or ASUS?

Both. Best Buy yesterday, Asus today.

Retired
Not applicable
unfortunately, people that purchase units from bestbuy need to go through and get it fixed by geeksquad. not directly from ASUS. so... its not really ASUS thats to blame for the delay, its more on geeksquad.

Retired
Not applicable
I had an almost DOA G73JW-A1. It lasted three hours.

Because I'd picked it up in the US and live in the UK, and I was told by Asus over the telephone it'd be a ten-working day turnaround I let Asus pick it up.

8 weeks to the date later it was returned. That was Friday. Since then I've had 3 x BSoD and 2 x complete reset (just like back in the days of PC's having a physical reset button).

I spent quite some time choosing this notebook and apart from the sheer grunt I need it to be reliable - I write long docs and cannot be in a position where my computer could shut down at any sudden point.

The first thing I did was a clean OS install with just the latest WHQL certififed drivers.

I did get a buy-back offer from Asus but I said I wanted the notebook - I'm wondering if I should now go down this route and choose an Alienware instead 😞

mertesn
Level 7
Ok, let's talk about non-BB repair turn-around time. Every time my G73 (or any other Asus notebook I own still under warranty) has gone in for an Asus RMA repair (purchased from a non-BB source) I'm quoted two weeks once the laptop is received. It takes at least one month in the repair shop each time. This does not include shipping either. The G73 has been in three times now, each time taking one month minimum. The first time, the display died. The second time the primary HD died. Third time was the GPU issues that now seem to be solved by the new vBIOS (Asus told me there was no problem on this one BTW, just returned it after holding it for a month).

The laptop has been in for repair a full 1/3 of the time I've owned it (three of nine months). Wish I could just get a refund, but it's far too late at this point.

Ninjak
Level 7
I bought my G73JW on Sept 13, and the motherboard failed spectacularly on Oct 19. I shipped it to Asus for RMA and they checked it into their system on Nov 1. Here it is Dec 21 now, and I'm still waiting for a replacement mobo and GPU from Taiwan. It took me an entire month just to get confirmation that it was waiting for parts in the first place. The situation is frustrating, to say the least. They've had my laptop longer than I did. And Tony Kilburn makes a good point, which I posed to the Asus reps myself during a call:

"What if this was the only system I owned and needed it to do business? I shouldn't be forced to purchase another replacement system with money I don't have because of your terrible turnaround time."

Sure, they can't control how long it takes parts to arrive by boat from Taiwan. But they also need to take that into account when they advertise their 14-business-day turnaround time. Users need to know up front that they could be inconvenienced for months depending on their problem. It'd be great if Asus was up front about just long long it could take, but that wouldn't be good business sense on their part. If I knew if advance I might need to wait over 2 months to receive a repair back from a vendor, I'd very likely never buy their products. When people get their card serviced, at least they get loaners. Heck, even iPhone users get a temp phone if they need a battery replacement. Asus needs to do something like offer some kind of refund/credit option after a certain amount of time has gone by (if in warranty) or send out a loaner system at the least. Sure, it won't appease everyone or be the best option, but it's better than what we have now - just plain waiting.
1) Asus G73JW-A1 🙂
2) Samsung Series 7 Ultra
2) Toshiba Satellite T235D-S1360

It's been a month so far for me this time, and they once again have no idea where my laptop is.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Did you send in your notebook for warranty service and which service center was it?

Don't believe you are located in the U.S., but if you have a pending RMA and want to send me a private message (PM) with your RMA number to cl-Albert as mentioned in the thread below, I'll ask if someone can help us keep an eye on it.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48883-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

You probably cannot send me a PM until you post 4 more times though, so you need to do this first (I may delete your extra posts if it doesn't stop you from sending me PMs). Thanks.