+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BIOS Flash - External Harddrive Not Recognized?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt AdelaisAer +10 AdelaisAer's Avatar

Question BIOS Flash - External Harddrive Not Recognized?

Hey guys, so I FINALLY got my new G74SX and I wanted to flash the BIOS, but it didn't detect my external harddrive.

The instructions said to format it to FAT32, but the only option that was available for my external harddrive (other than NTFS) was exFAT, which supposedly is a better version of FAT32? Any way to make it work, or do I have to find some USB flash stick to use instead?
    deviantART | Personal Site | "One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambiance and nurturing."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]
    • 16GB RAM
    • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM [304.48 BETA]
    • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
    • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

ROG Guru: Black Belt BrodyBoy +20

Quote Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
    Hey guys, so I FINALLY got my new G74SX and I wanted to flash the BIOS, but it didn't detect my external harddrive.

The instructions said to format it to FAT32, but the only option that was available for my external harddrive (other than NTFS) was exFAT, which supposedly is a better version of FAT32? Any way to make it work, or do I have to find some USB flash stick to use instead?
    I wouldn't recommend an external hard drive.

Even if you have to buy a cheap one, use a USB thumbdrive, formatted to FAT32 only.

ROG Enthusiast Signal2Noise +10

If you can't wait until you get a thumb drive, which is highly recommended, an alternative method could be to use a CDR with the BIOS update burned to that then boot from CD.
    G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
    Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt AdelaisAer +10 AdelaisAer's Avatar

Thanks, guys. I used a USB thumb drive (formatted to FAT32) and the BIOS was flashed successfully!
    deviantART | Personal Site | "One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambiance and nurturing."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]
    • 16GB RAM
    • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM [304.48 BETA]
    • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
    • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

+ Reply to Thread