cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB ports stops working randomly.

effendi360
Level 7
Hi, here how it goes:

I had mouse and keyboard connected to two highest placed ports on back of my mobo. Randomly when I'm starting windows both ports are not working, mouse and keyboard are off. Can U tell me what is the problem ? I've had before asus motherboard as well and I was experiencing the same problem. Ended up seling mobo. I have nothing else connected to any of USB ports. Aha and the other thing, sometimes when I switch on computer, after a while it goes of and goes back on itself continuing starting OS. Is that normal ?
35 REPLIES 35

houndazs
Level 9
What power supply do you have, and how many Watts? What motherboard do you have?

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

Corsair TX950W and Maximus 4 Extreme.

do any of the other USB ports work? Are all your drivers installed? Are you Overclocking? Have you installed the Latest BIOS? Have you tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS?

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

The answer for all your questions is YES.

Try bring the system back to default clocks, and see if that solves the issue. if it does it sounds like a power problem. Also, try using the additional 4-PIN power connector on the Motherboard just above the PCIe x16 slots.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

My friend, about this extra power, I was thinking about it, I got two places where I can plug it, the one U mentioned and second on the bottom. Is there any diffrence to witch one I plug extra power conection ? Because I prefer bottom one.

i would plug 4-PIN connectors into both. They supply "backup" voltage to your Motherboard when it is needed, usually when overclocking.

Do you get anything on the Digital Diagnostics Readout on the Motherboard when this happens?

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

xeromist
Do you have the latest BIOS 2105? If not put it on a FAT32 flash drive and update from the BIOS easy flash utility.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Guys, look I now U R trying to help but please dont treat me like I am retarded or something. For U the fact that I bought MOBO for ~400$ sould be enough prove to clear this that instaling new bios, drivers etc. is first thing I am doing when getting new hardware. Till now I was on EVGA P55 FTW and never had similar issues there. I will try to conect extra power to mobo and will see how it goes. The strange thing is that it is second asus mobo where I'm experiencing the same problem. Any other Ideas ?