cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix fullscreen issue

kouotsu
Level 7
So I have had this extremely frustrating issue with Netflix that apparently only a couple of people have had, so I just want to know if anyone else here has run into it.

I have a G74SX-XT1 with a clean install of Win7 on a SSD. I am using two monitors. My computer runs great, the only issue is that when I fullscreen Netflix, it does not ask if I want to keep it fullscreen when I click out of it.

Please note:

- This does not seem to be an issue with Silverlight as any other site using a Silverlight video player WILL ask if I want to stay fullscreen.
- I did not just accidentally tell Netflix I don't want it to stay fullscreen. There is no record of any Netflix permissions in the Silverlight settings, so I cannot just change it there. There is just nothing, my permissions are completely empty.
- I have tried 3 different web browsers and they all behave the same way.
- I have reinstalled everything I could possibly reinstall rather than Windows itself. It's annoying but I don't care quite enough to reinstall everything on my computer since the SSD was such a pain to get stable. I can't recall if it worked properly before I cleaned off the factory image; I doubt I even tested it.

I really have no idea what the reason could possibly be. I can only believe it's a problem on Netflix's end, but like I said I've only seen 1 or 2 instances of this problem on the internet, and nobody was able to help them (everyone assumes it's a simple problem of changing the permission etc).

At the end of the day I can always just watch Netflix on my PS3 on my second screen, but it's just one of those things that bugs you because there's no reason it SHOULDN'T work...? lol
G74SX-XT1 / OCZ Agility 3 120GB / 16GB RAM
http://kouotsu.tumblr.com
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you come across this thread in your research? http://www.mitchellenright.com/2010/01/01/netflix-wont-stay-full-screen-exits-full-screen-mode-unexp...

Is your Windows account a password-protected administrator account?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I doubt that post is relevant, I believe Silverlight didn't have the option to stay fullscreen when out of focus back then. Plus, nothing else I watch has problems staying fullscreen. I watch hour-long videos on Youtube like every other day with no issues.

Yeah, it's a protected admin account.

xeromist
I know this doesn't solve the problem but it really sounds like something built into the Netflix player. I'm guessing you haven't seen many reports because not many people have a dual monitor setup and only a fraction of those have tried to watch Netflix full screen while working on the other.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I know this doesn't solve the problem but it really sounds like something built into the Netflix player. I'm guessing you haven't seen many reports because not many people have a dual monitor setup and only a fraction of those have tried to watch Netflix full screen while working on the other.

I often use Netflix on my second monitor and it stay full screen when I do other thing on my other monitor,

BUT I use it on a desktop. I guess the problem of the OP is related on the fact he is using a Notebook

kouotsu
Level 7
I had a G50V before this G74SX and it had no issues with this, so I just don't know. Since I have seen only one or two other people complain of this problem online, I am hesitant to call Netflix's customer service, which is apparently the only option. I don't want to speak to some overseas guy who will have no way of actually technically troubleshooting this and instead takes me through basic fixes for 2 hours like "restart your computer" lol.

Thanks anyways, just had hope that maybe it was related to this particular notebook. Maybe some day I'll just do a clean Windows install again and see what happens.

xeromist wrote:

This is the setup I have on my G53SW. I run Netflix on Chrome fullscreen on my second monitor while playing Skyrim on the laptop's screen.

No problems.
G53SW-A1
Core i7 2630M
Gtx 460m

smellons wrote:
This is the setup I have on my G53SW. I run Netflix on Chrome fullscreen on my second monitor while playing Skyrim on the laptop's screen.

No problems.

I'm having the same problem (G74). This is my temporary solution as well

Watching netflix in Germany is a breeze due to streamingvpn on my laptop. Where does leave all those people who put up unnecessary IP restrictions?