cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Built in Web Cam

Werewolf13
Level 7
Never ever have I used a web cam. Sounds like kind of a cool thing to have though.

How would I go about testing the one on my unit to see if it works and see the quality of the video it generates?

Skype seems like a neat way to communicate with family all across the country - but I'm the explorer/first adopter so they won't go for it unless I know how it works and can convince them it is worth their while to do it.
9 REPLIES 9

thesting
Level 7
You are making it sound like webcams are a new invention. In-built ones are usually crappy and you cant move them around very well.
Of course skyping is a good way to stay in touch with family living far away... go ahead (as long as their internet speed is fast enough).
In the Skype options if you check your video settings it automatically runs your webcam and you get some kind of impression i guess.

thesting wrote:
You are making it sound like webcams are a new invention. In-built ones are usually crappy and you cant move them around very well.
Of course skyping is a good way to stay in touch with family living far away... go ahead (as long as their internet speed is fast enough).
In the Skype options if you check your video settings it automatically runs your webcam and you get some kind of impression i guess.

I'm aware that webcams have been around a very long time. I've just never found the need for one. Since one came built in on the G74 I've got thought it would be nice to use it.

But with no experience using one I figured testing it out to see if it worked and how well would be in order.

Still no response on how to test whether or not the thing works and can't find anything on the ASUS support site either.

dstrakele
Level 14
Werewolf13 wrote:
Skype seems like a neat way to communicate with family all across the country - but I'm the explorer/first adopter so they won't go for it unless I know how it works and can convince them it is worth their while to do it.

You'll like Skype and using your webcam. While the built-in speakers on the G74SX aren't the best for music, they're way better than phone speakers. You'll enjoy seeing your family as well as talking to them. Plus the price for all this is right.... ;>{)>

If your family members have a computer, but no webcam, they are readily available and inexpensive accessories they can add to their present system. Skype can also be used audio only, so a webcam is not absolutely necessary for a free conversation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

380mcn
Level 9
WEBCAM is crap, but is more than enough to skype! 🙂

im triying to turn on my webcam but can't ,I have the right drivers for the webcam i also downloaded the asus virtual camera but my webcam wont open , can anyone help me ? i would like to test my webcam , i have an hp and it has an icon for the webcam and opens when i click in it but i can't seem to get this one open ,,,,,,
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

gilbert wrote:
im triying to turn on my webcam but can't ,I have the right drivers for the webcam i also downloaded the asus virtual camera but my webcam wont open , can anyone help me ? i would like to test my webcam , i have an hp and it has an icon for the webcam and opens when i click in it but i can't seem to get this one open ,,,,,,

If you wan't to use the webcam without using it through chatt programs, you can download Life Frame 3 (link to N73SV support -> go to utilities, find the program named LifeFrame 3 download and use that 🙂 )
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

life frame3 did the trick ......................
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

380mcn
Level 9
the g74 doesn't have the camera icon on My computer.
But if you run facebook chat, msn.. whatever the program that uses a webcam, it will pop out and the image will be visible!
I dont have any software from asus installed, and it works very well.

in Device MAnager, under Imaging Devices you should see USB2 UVC 1M Webcam.
1.3 MPixel which is lame because all laptops of this range have at least a 2MP.
But altough it is a lame cam it works.

dstrakele
Level 14
I recommend you download the latest version of Skype. When you configure video in the program, you will be able to see how your webcam works.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT