cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCC overheating protection

rocknroll237
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have an Asus Ares and I'm using the 11.11 Ati drivers.

I was wondering, if I tick the 'enable graphics overdrive' and set a manual fan speed, will the card downclock or shutdown if it gets really hot (like 100 degrees)?

Mine got to 93 degrees yesterday because I forgot to untick the manual fan control box (it was at 20%). I realised I had forgotten to set it to auto because I heard the fans jump up and down suddenly while I was playing a game.

This made me wonder, what would have happened if I had ignored that and continued playing?

Thanks,

Cam
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
You will likely get artifacts or a BSOD followed by a restart. The card won't keep running until it melts. However I would point out that heat in general isn't good for long term longevity. I'd recommend not doing it. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Okay, that's good to know. My temps are usually in the low 70s, so I'm not concerned about longevity.
Does anyone know why the fan suddenly when fast, then back down, instead of just breaking into full speed?

xeromist
Emergency temperature threshold reached briefly? Bug in fan control? Not sure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

rocknroll237
Level 7
Yeah, probably just a bug. But a useful one. Without it, I wouldn't have been reminded about the fans!