cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Blu-ray drive problems

wingdam
Level 7
My G73 playback freezes after a few seconds while playing any Blu-Ray disk.
I just discovered that the blu ray freezing problem is caused by the UJ141 DVD drive and according to all the posts on other G73 forums replacing the drive with the CT21n drive cures the problem.

Asus is supposed to be aware of this issue.

Now, my problem is getting replacement a ct31n trans-shipped instead of sending the G73 in again (I just had it in for a screen replacement).

Since it's a one screw replacement and I'm an Intel system builder, I doubt if it needs to be sent in for that simple a task.

I suspect it would be difficult to convince the tech support guy to ship me one.

Is there any way someone from Asus could help to facilitate this?
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
They won't do it for you, I tried to get a hold of a small ribbon cable clip for my keyboard backlighting to the motherboard through support today. I am a dual certified technician and they said I would have to RMA the entire laptop at my cost for the tiny part even though I am certified and the laptop is still under warranty. I'm not impressed with the support.

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

I among many other users am also suffering from this known uj141 blue-ray drive problem. The fact why the issue is not getting much attention might be because probably less than 10% of sold G73Jh units came with a blue-ray drive and most of them are outside U.S.

As I've understood the problem occurs because the uj141 isn't wholly Win7 compatible. The only complete way to really fix the issue is a RMA, which Asus will do if you can come to a contact a senior tech via support. They'll replace the optical drive with another model for you.

There is a way to get through the issue without changing the drive, however. In Windows device manager you can rollback the driver of the Intel SATA controller. If you do this, the system reverts to using Microsoft default SATA drivers for drive control (those are used in safe mode as well). Using these drivers the uj141 drive works without hitch for both blue-rays and DVD's.

I was skeptical at first but now after using those Win7 default SATA drivers for three months I'm satisfied enough and haven't noticed any decrease in hard disk perfomance, for example. So I decided that a month long RMA (outside U.S.) isn't worth it and I'm still successfully using the uj141 drive with these default drivers.

Decided to post this if it would help you or anybody else.