+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP: Backlit Keyboard not working!

ROG Enthusiast jamcghie +10

Exclamation HELP: Backlit Keyboard not working!

I have the ASUS G74Sx...

Here is the story:

I had some problems with my laptop due to poor habits and had to send it in for repairs.

Before I sent it in, the keyboard light worked well. I sent it in and when I got it back all my problems were fixed. Although now at boot it doesn't come on and I cant turn it on by using Fn+f3/f4... (I held onto the hard drives.) So I sent it in with Bios Version 201, it now has 203, that is 1 of 2 things I think it could be. The other is that they didn't hook the light back up. I REALLY don't want to send my laptop back that is just annoying and cost money...

Backlit worked before I sent in the computer, now it doesn't. Cant find an answer on Google, please help!

ROG Guru: Black Belt BrodyBoy +20

Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?

ROG Guru: Green Belt fostert +30 fostert's Avatar

I note that when I first power on my G74 the KB back-light illuminates briefly during POST and the turns itself off forever as I continue booting into Linux. Does yours at least light up during the period right after powering on?
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Guru: Blue Belt PILGRIM +20 PILGRIM's Avatar

Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
    Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
    install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
    Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..
    I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here.
    At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)
    Last edited by PILGRIM; 02-21-2012 at 02:40 AM.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

TeamROG Moderator ColonelS +10 ColonelS's Avatar

+1 with reinstalling the drivers..

Try reinstalling the driver first and see if it helps
    Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Sorry guys I had a problem logging in, I will reply in a minute

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?
    I dont know of a software fix, although I had ATK 1.00..8 from the DVD, and it did work prior to the RMA. I did uninstall that and install 1.00..14. YES your 1-4 steps are 100% accurate. I have not changed anything besides the ATK. They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

Quote Originally Posted by PILGRIM View Post
    Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
    Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
    install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
    Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..
    I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here.
    At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)
    I did that, however, I uninstalled .08 and installed .014 of the ATK and rebooted after all that. I did not reboot after uninstalling .08, is that a problem?

ROG Guru: Blue Belt PILGRIM +20 PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamcghie View Post
    I did that, however, I uninstalled .08 and installed .014 of the ATK and rebooted after all that. I did not reboot after uninstalling .08, is that a problem?
    Not rebooting after uninstall of the older ATK Package could cause a problem. Driver remnants in the
    File Registry can interfere with the newer version. And sorry, I forgot to tell to clean the registry
    (use CCleaner or IOBit uninstaller with its "Powerful Scan") just after uninstall of the older version,
    reboot, then install the newer version.

This time, you may try uninstalling version 1.0.0014. Clean the registry, reboot, re-install it, reboot.
    Check if the keyboard lights up briefly during POST, (in Windows) press Fn + F3/F4 to test.
    If there's none, reboot again.
    Last edited by PILGRIM; 02-21-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: IOBit...
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

On it I'll edit when back.

Ok well I uninstalled ATK 1.14, rebooted, ran CCleaner, did 3 registry scans till nothing came back, installed 1.14 again, rebooted, no luck.
    Last edited by jamcghie; 02-21-2012 at 03:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast