Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Backlit Keyboard not working!

jamcghie
Level 7
I have the ASUS G74Sx...

Here is the story:

I had some problems with my laptop due to poor habits and had to send it in for repairs.

Before I sent it in, the keyboard light worked well. I sent it in and when I got it back all my problems were fixed. Although now at boot it doesn't come on and I cant turn it on by using Fn+f3/f4... (I held onto the hard drives.) So I sent it in with Bios Version 201, it now has 203, that is 1 of 2 things I think it could be. The other is that they didn't hook the light back up. I REALLY don't want to send my laptop back that is just annoying and cost money...

Backlit worked before I sent in the computer, now it doesn't. Cant find an answer on Google, please help!
36 REPLIES 36

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?

BrodyBoy wrote:
Have you tried any software fixes? Specifically, I'd suggest you install ATK Package 1.0.0014 if you aren't already running that one. (Unintsall the current ATK driver first.) If you are already running that version, try a repair install in Control Panel.

Just to be clear, are you saying that (1) the lights worked with your pre-RMA configuratuion, (2) you removed your hard drives prior to the RMA, so Asus couldn't have altered anything on them, (3) you re-installed your drives when you got the computer back, and (4) the lights have not worked at all since?

Have you altered anything in your configuration since the RMA?

Do the keyboard lights flash briefly at boot, or is that not functioning either?

I dont know of a software fix, although I had ATK 1.00..8 from the DVD, and it did work prior to the RMA. I did uninstall that and install 1.00..14. YES your 1-4 steps are 100% accurate. I have not changed anything besides the ATK. They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

jamcghie wrote:
II have not changed anything besides the ATK. They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

If the backlights do not flash on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

On the other hand, the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-... indicates a BIOS flash can disable the keyboard backlights on G73 systems. I suspect this may also be possible on G74 systems.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If the backlights do not light on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

I have tried that and no luck. How would I go about that power cable? Can I do it from home?

dstrakele wrote:
If the backlights do not flash on boot, there is little that can be done in Windows to fix them. I would try pressing F2 at the ASUS splash screen to enter the BIOS, then "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9) and Save & Exit. If that fails to cause the backlights to at least flash briefly on boot, I would check to see the power cable is connected.

On the other hand, the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-... indicates a BIOS flash can disable the keyboard backlights on G73 systems. I suspect this may also be possible on G74 systems.

So what do you suggest I do? Go back a bios? How do I do that??

jamcghie wrote:
They do not light up on boot, they did before my RMA though.

Eek...not good. Sounding like something got unplugged during RMA fix and not plugged back in right...lets hope that an ATK clean install works.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert
Level 12
I note that when I first power on my G74 the KB back-light illuminates briefly during POST and the turns itself off forever as I continue booting into Linux. Does yours at least light up during the period right after powering on?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..:p
I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here. 🙂
At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Hi, jamcghie. Before you sent your laptop for repair, did you have already the ATK PAckage 1.0.0014?
Try re-installing it, if you have it already. But if you still have the older version of the ATK Package,
install the 1.0.0014.

I've had the same experience with the keyboard not lighting up when I updated to BIOS 203.
Re-installing it and rebooting did the trick..

(EDIT: I guess the different Time Zones make posting a bit laggy. Or could it be my slow-typing?..:p
I swear nobody has posted yet, just a while ago. Then voila! Brody and fostert are here. 🙂
At any rate, hope the OP will find the answer to his query.)

I did that, however, I uninstalled .08 and installed .014 of the ATK and rebooted after all that. I did not reboot after uninstalling .08, is that a problem?