cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Capacity?

rp33
Level 7
I'm looking at getting an SSD primarily for Windows 7 and my Adobe Production suite (Photoshop/AfterEffects/Premiere). Adobe says that about 16GB is required for their products, about how much does Windows need? I didn't know if I should try a 64GB or get a 128...
G74SX-AH71 | Intel Core i7 2670QM | GTX 560M | 16GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD | Crucial M4 64GB SSD
18 REPLIES 18

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I think 64Gb is probably sufficient for most users, so long as you save user data on the 2nd hard drive. But something in the 120Gb range will ensure that you'll always have plenty of room to spare.

(IIRC, a barebones Windows install takes up about 20-25 Gb.)

Sounds good - what type of programs would you recommend installing on the SSD? I've only planned to put the OS and Adobe suite on there so far. Should I install the anti virus (MSE) there too? Or just put everything on the HDD?

(Oh, and NO defragging those SSD's, correct?
G74SX-AH71 | Intel Core i7 2670QM | GTX 560M | 16GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD | Crucial M4 64GB SSD

rp33 wrote:
Sounds good - what type of programs would you recommend installing on the SSD? I've only planned to put the OS and Adobe suite on there so far. Should I install the anti virus (MSE) there too? Or just put everything on the HDD?

Methinks Brody has signed off for now.. To answer some of your query,
I'd say you don't have much choice for the MSE (It's doesn't use much space, anyway).
It's a Windows component so it auto-installs into the OS drive.
No need to defrag an SSD (IMO, even Windows or any defrag software won't do it.)

As for the other programs, I think it's a matter of choice. For me, I put "big" programs
i.e. games, movies, music, etc. on the secondary bay drive (HDD).
ASUS G74SX-3DE

rp33 wrote:

(Hey again....I did indeed sign off for the night!) Some owners who install a lot of games (or big games) install those on the 2nd drive, but for most of us, it's fine to install all your programs on the SSD.

Basically, I let all programs install on the OS drive. But I have changed the default locations for all my libraries (Documents, Photos, Music, etc.) and frequently-used folders (Downloads, etc.) over to the 2nd drive. I'm using this approach on three different computers, and in each case, I have no concerns at all about running out of space on the SSD.

Right...no defragging. 🙂
rp33 wrote:
How does CS5.5 run on your machine? I just picked up Production Premium CS5.5 and am looking at getting a G74SX soon - should I install it on the HDD or the SSD? (I'll get an external for the video files).

I'd put it on the SSD....that'll make it nice and speedy. But yes....set your save location to some other drive.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I think 64Gb is probably sufficient for most users, so long as you save user data on the 2nd hard drive. But something in the 120Gb range will ensure that you'll always have plenty of room to spare.

(IIRC, a barebones Windows install takes up about 20-25 Gb.)

True. But with all those Windows updates and stuff accumulating, disk data will soon balloon.
Case in point, my 128 GB disk already has about 50 GB data on it..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
True. But with all those Windows updates and stuff accumulating, disk data will soon balloon.

Is your paging files still on the SSD ? , that may explain the why. RP3, I install all my software except the Games on the SSD, I take an average or 23 GB, with time it rise to around 30 gb, so a 64gb can do the job, but now than the "metal can man " make me try Steam Mover, and I can move the games I play most on the SSD, a 128 is a better option. So if you game 128gb if not 64gb is ok

* Metal can man" is our truly friendly Rog Police X .......... thanks again for this steams mover

Now I will like to say good word to my Dungeon man......( to fallow )

Area 66 wrote:
Is your paging files still on the SSD ? , that may explain the why.

My paging file size ( on C: ) is "System managed". Is it the reason why?..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
My paging file size ( on C: ) is "System managed". Is it the reason why?..

Yes, by default your paging files size = RAM size, you have to move the paging files to the mecanical drives, SSD cells have a limitation on the number of time you can write to them, it'S why we tweak them , here a guide on how to do it, I don't install the software link in thi wensite, but and I do only those step

Disable indexing
• Turn Off the Disk Defragmenter Schedule
• Disable defragmentation
• Disable Superfetch / Prefetch
• Disable the Page File
• Disable System Restore
• Disable Hibernate
• TRIM Commands

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

PILGRIM wrote:

I have a 120Gb drive (106Gb free formatted) with Windows install, various updates, system drivers and CS5.5. Now it's telling me there's 30Gb free!!
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV