cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N55sf Wifi Upgrade

roprisko
Level 7
The Atheros card in the N55sf is terrible. I want to switch it out for a better one. Does anyone have a step-by-step on this process?
9 REPLIES 9

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi there

Link to a picture to locate where the WiFi Card is. (just confirm for me that this is the same notebook 😛 )

As I can see the WiFi Card is located next to the RAM. So you have to pop up the black and white antennas that are connected on the card, unscrew the 2 screws and then carefully push it out.

When you insert the new card, the same procedure, insert the 2 screws and remember which hole the white/black antennas where connected on as the last card.

I hope this helps 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

That looks like it! Please continue on getting the wires correct. What should I use as my frame of reference?

fuzon1337
Level 10
As I can see in the picture the black antenna is attached to the "port" that is furthest away and the white antenna is the closest (from where the antennas comes 🙂
They should pop easy on, if they pop off, then you haven't atteched them good enough 😛

Btw which wifi card are you installing on your notebook?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

My initial thought is to get the Intel 6230. I was considering a three antenna system, but have some reservations:
1) I don't know if the third antenna is already in the system or, if I get one, which of the three it will need to connect to.
2) I've been hearing a lot about the three-band wifi cards that are due out this year. If I'm going to need to get a card that connects to the 60Ghz stream as well, there's no reason to spend a lot of money on this upgrade when I will need to upgrade again shortly.

Thoughts?

fuzon1337
Level 10
Sorry for late reply.

The Intel Centrino 6230 is a good choice, I got it my self and haven't had any troubles with that, and the notebook is "acting different" or what to say 😛 The Atheros stock wifi card is crap, shouldn't even been on the notebooks in the first place.

About the first question I can not answer since that is something I don't know..... What I know is that the 6230 car has 2 antennas and doesn't need a third one since it doesn't have that.

And about the second question I'm not sure there either.... so perhaps others from this forum could step in and give you more thoughts about it 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

I guess you're right. After a recommended upgrade I lost my home connection. Still I don't know if the problem is faulty BIOS or the WiFi card.
I decided to install OSX in the 2nd partition and it connects over WiFi wihout problems...
Check the post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12888-N55SF-lost-home-Wireless-network-after-recommended-up...

I'm not certain that I'm happy with the upgrade, but I don't think that is the fault of the new chip. I'm running wireless off of a dual band Linksys top-of-the-line router from one room away and I'm not getting the connection that I want. I don't know. Anyway, the computer is fantastic otherwise and I've added a 2nd screen (the Asus 22 inch ultraslim) and love the heck out of it. I'm definitely stuck on Asus for any Windows machines in the near future.

What 6230 card works in the n55sf? I got an ANHMW of ebay which give an error "cannot be started (10)" in Windows 7. Will the ANHMWWB work?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
3 Antenna on a wifi card or a router/modem does not mean 3 bands use. i'm not entirely sure why there is 3, might be signal booster or something, or help with the receive/transmission of the signal...ANWAYS, roprisko...have you gone through your router settings to ensure it and your wifi card are matching in wireless band? if not, you will need to do so...at least make sure just in case. if they match, go on the Intel website and update the drivers to the latest if you haven't already.