cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long black screen during cold boot

n1ghtl1fe
Level 10
I have had my g74sx for a few months now but for some reason the past few weeks I have been getting a black screen after the windows logo and before the welcome screen when booting. I have tried a clean windows 7 install a couple of times with no success. Everything loads fine until i install all the latest drivers. I have googled this issue to death and was hoping maybe someone has had a similar issue with their laptop here. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage
41 REPLIES 41

dstrakele
Level 14
1) What version video driver are you currently running?

2) Have you tried installing the stock NVIDIA driver that was shipped with your laptop?

3) What applications have you installed to your clean Windows 7 installation?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

gilbert
Level 10
n1ghtl1fe wrote:
I have had my g74sx for a few months now but for some reason the past few weeks I have been getting a black screen after the windows logo and before the welcome screen when booting. I have tried a clean windows 7 install a couple of times with no success. Everything loads fine until i install all the latest drivers. I have googled this issue to death and was hoping maybe someone has had a similar issue with their laptop here. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

i have the same problem , i updated a network driver in device manager and i was hopping that was the issue but no luck it keep on doing it ...

i have the latest drivers for everything and it just to do it before too ... i even put in a ssd hopping that would solve my problem but it still does it ......every time on boot up , not on restarts ...
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

gilbert wrote:
i have the same problem ,

Did you do a clean install? Same answer as my previous post....can you list the device drivers you have installed?

no clean install , i cloned to ssd and the only drivers that i updated is the graphics card and a network driver that had an update ,,, at the moment my g74sx is at asus getting screen replaced had a couple of dead pixels ...
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB

gilbert wrote:
no clean install , i cloned to ssd and the only drivers that i updated is the graphics card and a network driver that had an update ,,, at the moment my g74sx is at asus getting screen replaced had a couple of dead pixels ...

If you mentioned any other complaints, like the slow boots, they will very likely do a factory restore. So you'll probably get it back with its original, out-of-the-box software set-up.

Let us know whether the boot-up issue persists at that point, and we'll take it from there. Do keep in mind that long boot times...typical of bloated installations that have lots of extraneous programs and utilities loading at start-up....are different from the issue I was addressing, which is a very long dead period where it almost appears the boot has stalled....nothing seems to be happening and the screen is just blank for a long time. That's more indicative of driver issues.

BrodyBoy wrote:
If you mentioned any other complaints, like the slow boots, they will very likely do a factory restore. So you'll probably get it back with its original, out-of-the-box software set-up.

Let us know whether the boot-up issue persists at that point, and we'll take it from there. Do keep in mind that long boot times...typical of bloated installations that have lots of extraneous programs and utilities loading at start-up....are different from the issue I was addressing, which is a very long dead period where it almost appears the boot has stalled....nothing seems to be happening and the screen is just blank for a long time. That's more indicative of driver issues.

i understand my screen goes black for about 60 seconds with ssd and in regular restart like 2 seconds with my ssd, i do have the recovery disks for it and i have used them before with same result.. i will keep you guys posted with exact times and maybe a video for better understanding...
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB

I did a clean install and installed all the lastest drivers off the drivers thread sticky. I have 7 startup items all they really are is core Asus stuff such as Atk and touchpad. Oh and AVG antivirus. I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers and 285 version but I am yet to install the stock version that comes on my driver disk.
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage

BrodyBoy
Level 10
n1ghtl1fe wrote:

Could you please list all the drivers you installed after the clean install?

In my experience, this long "dead" period during boot-up is almost always due to a missing or inappropriate driver. Windows scans the hardware during boot-up, and expects to find drivers for all the devices it finds. If anything is missing, it seems to spend an inordinate amount of time looking (in vain) for a solution.

I'm guessing you're missing a driver (or two or three.... ;)).....

Invincible
Level 7
n1ghtl1fe wrote:

I Have blinking of screen while logon with latest NV drivers, i think it's normal, maybe you have longer duration of this effect, it's maybe depends on how much programs in autostart or defragment hard drive to speed up loading of video driver