+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Win8 Preview Build - Anyone Trying?

ROG Enthusiast gg31hh +10 gg31hh's Avatar

Lightbulb Using it now

Quote Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
    Good info so far, everyone! To those that have installed and are using Win8 on the G74SX thanks for taking one for the team. I've DL'd the 64bit version and will try it out this weekend, still likely on the Dell first.
    Hey all Gseries user.

Yea I got it running n been playing it for more than half a day now. WINDOWS 8 need time to get use to it but I been playing it from their earliest release (developer preview) .. So iknow what im doing now ^^

so far .. Here are my finding:

(im using G74SX, 16GBRam - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560M)

DRIVER
    * Graphic driver - The latest version work (Nvidia v4.3.790.0) - all the older driver do not work as it shows up as installation error.

* ATX keyboard - work perfectly
    * Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.3.5 - DO NOT WORK version incompatible to the new win (however the mouse it self work without the driver) - however if u manually install it by using "DPInst64.exe" - it work
    * Realtek High dev sound driver - working
    * USB 3.0 - install fine
    * Bluetooth - CANT INSTALL

Progs - Only listed those incompatible software

* AUTOCAD 2012 cant be install... it just an install error.. but other Autodesk 2012 prog (3dsmax, revit) work perfectly
    * Older Skype does not work... only newest skype will work

So far these are my finding... Ill update my finding more when I've done more..

Quote Originally Posted by gg31hh View Post
    * Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.3.5 - DO NOT WORK version incompatible to the new win (however the mouse it self work without the driver) - however if u manually install it by using "DPInst64.exe" - it work
    I came here to ask about this precise thing. I'll try to install that; I'm guessing that's one of the files from the archive.

I have a various things to say: I had never been so in love with an operating system as I am with Windows 8 (up to now, at least). Yes, the side-scrolling will take some getting used to, but other than that, this is amazing. It's so... dare I say it... intuitive. That's quite a surprise for a Microsoft product, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcsc View Post
    I came here to ask about this precise thing. I'll try to install that; I'm guessing that's one of the files from the archive.
    Yea the DPInst64.exe is one of setup file when you download the driver

Yea I love the OS so much.. hehehe too bad G74SX dont have touch screen monitor.. such a shame. hehehe. Yea I just wish they comeout a solution for Autocad.. since everything else work.. I do agree with you regarding some of its features may need time to get use to.

Bluetooth i got no choice but to use windows manager to auto-install from the site.

ROG Enthusiast Signal2Noise +10

That's excellent feedback, gg31hh!

So far, despite the odd hiccup here and there I'm getting the fuzzy feeling that Win8 will be fine on the G74SX. Since the OS is still in a preview stage I am sure drivers & software updates from various vendors will begin to get sorted out. I think I will end up going straight to my G74SX with Win8 instead of trying it on the older laptop first. Why not use the newest OS on the newest hardware, right?

As for the Bluetooth has anyone with the Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card tried the drivers with Win8?

gg31hh, have you tried emailing Autodesk about the AutoCAD issue? Perhaps they are (or will be) working on an update.
    G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
    Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones

New ROGer dmac6419 +10

put it on second partition,works like a charm,if you want an Asus machine you have to install your G74 drivers,the main screen is like a cell phone screen(touchscreen)keep your old setup and dua lboot,put it on the d drive if you still have it,just set your bio's to boot from cd or dvd drive and that it,select custom setup,don't put it on the c drive

Windows 8 seems great. It takes a while to get used to, though. And having to use Bing as the default IE 10 search engine is painful. Yes, I'm using IE 10. Hadn't used IE for anything but download other browsers since IE 6!

Microsoft Office 2010 installed great, no problems.
    I wish the new Office suit came out by now, but, alas, can't get all Metro yet.
    Also, all the apps in the Microsoft Store are free. You know, about.... 20 apps. Nothing interesting there.

Installed it last night in VM, and will be installing it tonight on lab PC. Ill give an update Monday-ish as to my findings. So far with the hour i played with it, i actually like it. Its smooth and clean. Im going to try to "break" it this weekend, as a "normal" user would. I am also going to be hacking the registry and OS files to include .ini and .dll files to see if i can't get it back to a "windows 7" like feel.

I run a PC business and can hear the complaints that its "different" already. update to come.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    -Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
    -16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
    -Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
    - 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
    - XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
    -3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
    - 2x XFX 7970R
    - Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
    - CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
    - Logitech G500 Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
    That's excellent feedback, gg31hh!

So far, despite the odd hiccup here and there I'm getting the fuzzy feeling that Win8 will be fine on the G74SX. Since the OS is still in a preview stage I am sure drivers & software updates from various vendors will begin to get sorted out. I think I will end up going straight to my G74SX with Win8 instead of trying it on the older laptop first. Why not use the newest OS on the newest hardware, right?

As for the Bluetooth has anyone with the Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card tried the drivers with Win8?

gg31hh, have you tried emailing Autodesk about the AutoCAD issue? Perhaps they are (or will be) working on an update.
    Thx for the compliment, mate.

As for Autodesk 2012.. No I have not gave them any feedback yet. but funny thing is that.. AUTOCAD 2011 (1 version older than CAD2012) ... I manage to get that working. So my gut feeling it has got something to do with .NET Framework

Oh I also want to point out...

ASUS G74SX hardware can run in WINDOWS 8 - Just some minor (as Signal2Noise would use the word) 'hiccup' ........ The most annoying driver is the Bluetooth driver.

WLAN, SOUND, MIC, WEBCAM, TOUCHPAD & Keyboard (basic), USBs, HDMI; came working in windows8 without any drivers.

** i would note.. It come to my attention that when you first install win8, the OS did not recognised my computer (G74SX) as a laptop - DONT WORRY - to fix that issue, I just unplug my power supply (let it run with laptop batteries for a while) and then plug it back in, Then restart (This solve my missing 'sleep' and 'hibernation' power issue)

PS. I test it all by installing win8 Consumer Preview in its own partition . .... (not through Virtual Application)..

Cheers guys.. Hope this help~!!
    Last edited by gg31hh; 03-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zsld0423 View Post
    I have about 27GB left on it right now, what I did to dramatically increase the size was disabling the page file (useless anyways with 16GB RAM :P and I disabled Hibernation mode. disabling those two took me from like 10ishGB left up to over 32GB, so quite a big jump to disable hibernation, just go into command prompt as an admin and type "powercfg /hibernate off" without the quotes of course lol

edit: just as an fyi, i believe the results should be immediate, no reboot needed to see the free hard drive space increase
    Did this just now. SSD went from 23GB free to 33GB free. This is great, considering I can't even find the Hibernation button on Windows 8.

Question: do I *really* have to log out first to power down the computer? I simply cannot find a way to turn it off without first logging out from my user account.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast