cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win8 Preview Build - Anyone Trying?

Signal2Noise
Level 9
I'm just curious if anyone is going to be trying out the newly released Win8 Consumer Preview on their G74SX (or similar)? From what I'm reading so far drivers *should not* be a problem as Win7 versions are fine. I may take the plunge but might test the waters on my older yet still decent Dell XPS M1530 notebook first. There's an excellent article here with a step-by-step on install and activation. It would be nice if we can share experiences and feedback.

FYI, the actual Win8 iso is freely available via Microsoft's site.
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones
40 REPLIES 40

Makaizen
Level 7
Downloading right now and running it on Virtualbox first.

DEFTSTAR
Level 7
let us now the review... 🙂
G74SX-BBK9
CORE i7 2630QM 2GHZ
ZERO GIG RAM
GEFORCE GTX 560M

Area_66
Level 11
Actually I'm running it in VM, they increase the WEI to 9.9 , I even try to catch peoples with it
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11366-My-CPU-bottle-neck-my-system

Makaizen
Level 7
First impression: Give me back the start menu. I feel that its a step back since, for example, accessing the control panel requires more than two clicks...

AdelaisAer
Level 8
I tried it on my old laptop. It sucked, to be honest. First, no Start Menu. You have to go to the main app-list-THING, and click Explorer, and from there find stuff. It's annoying. Second of all, stuff like Control Panel and Windows Update are acced from the main thing too, as opposed to the non-existent Start Menu. Also, it acts a lot like a Mac in the sense that when you close programs, they still sort of run in the background. And the log-in screen uses your Windows Live ID (at least, it did for me). Through unofficial, unconventional methods, I restored my laptop back to Windows 7.

TL;DR Don't get Windows 8; it's stupid and has no Start Menu.
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
  • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

AdelaisAer wrote:
Through unofficial, unconventional methods, I restored my laptop back to Windows 7.

Wait a minute... that makes it sound that returning to Windows 7 is not supported. Is this true?

rmcsc wrote:
Wait a minute... that makes it sound that returning to Windows 7 is not supported. Is this true?

Oh, did you not know? Microsoft themselves said that there is no official way to uninstall Windows 8 or restore back to Windows 7.
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB

AdelaisAer wrote:
Oh, did you not know? Microsoft themselves said that there is no official way to uninstall Windows 8 or restore back to Windows 7.

Lies! Lies, I tell you!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview official FAQ wrote:
Can I uninstall Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
No. To go back to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC.

rmcsc wrote:
Lies! Lies, I tell you!

Well, that's exactly the thing; it's not an official way to uninstall/remove Windows 8 - you have to basically restore everything using a Windows 7 Recovery Disc.
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB