cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate CPU Temp Failure on New Build

Lawro
Level 7
Hi,

I've completed a new build but am having some problems during boot. Within 10 to 30 seconds of switching on the machine I get a warning message in screen stating that the CPU is overheated and the system turns itself off. I understand why it switches off of course, but am not sure why it is over heating. Any thoughts on what the possible causes of a virtually immediate overheat on first boot coUld be?

I am using the ROG ASUSRampage IV extreme with a CORSAIR H100 cooler on an i7 3820 processor, all mounted in a corsair obsidian 800d case with corsair AX1200 gold PSU And 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600 RAM , 2 x 240GB INTEL 520 SSD and a basic Liteon DVD RW.

Everything appears to be working normally until shuts down, all fans are spinning, the end of the h100 connected tot the processor lights up andseemsto before. My first thought was that perhaps I hadn't fastened the h100 cooling block all the way down to the processor so it wasn't making contact but when I removed I can see the thermal paste has been spread by the contact between the plates. Any other ideas much appreciated!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Area_66
Level 11
May be the pump on the H100 is defective. Remove the H100 from the case put it on a bench with a PSU and power it to see of you feel some vibration from the pump ... you can power the PSU by shorting the green and a black wire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44eMgsTBeEM

InnervateD
Level 10
Is the 4Pin Molex on the H100 connected? Just because the fans are spinning on the H100 doesn't mean the pump is connected and/or getting power to pump the liquid through the unit. The 4Pin Molex has to be connected. If everything is connected then I think you're dealing with a defective H100 unit in which the pump's not working. When I installed mine, I took a cable tie and secured the molex connectors together so it wouldn't come apart, as the Corsair AX1200 molex connectors slips right off the molex connector of the H100, with little strain, if it hangs just a little it will come apart.

InnervateD wrote:
Is the 4Pin Molex on the H100 connected? .

Was my first tough, but he said the led on the pump is lit , well for what I can read

"the end of the h100 connected tot the processor lights up

Area 66 wrote:
Was my first tough, but he said the led on the pump is lit , well for what I can read

"the end of the h100 connected tot the processor lights up

That's what it sounded like when I read it, but I wanted to be sure.
He can try this.

Plug all his fans directly to the PSU and just have the unit plugged in with the 4pin molex and the CPU fan connector and see if the pump works.

If he's still getting the same error, your dealing with a defective pump on the unit and or simply the other 2 options which is, the block isn't making proper contact, maybe due to, too much thermal compound, but if you're using the stock compound on the H100 that shouldn't be an issue. The other; might be a contact issue with the mounting not being securely tighten with enough pressure.

If it's a mounting issue now it becomes are you using the LGA2011 mount? or the X-Socket 1366 mount method? I hope you're not using the mounting bracket from the 1366 in combination with the LGA2011 which you will not be making proper contact.

the LGA2011 mounting only requires the 4 double threaded screws that are screwed directly to the 2011 mount then the unit goes into the 4 screws and then the thumb screws tighten up the unit mounting.

Can we see some pics of how your mounting this from the front facing the pump unit and on the back of the motherboard where the CPU is too, to see if you've added anything in addition to mounting the H100

Area_66
Level 11
If it's the pump, he must have not plug the sensor in the motherboard CPU fan connector and disable the warning in the BIOS , or else he will have a cpu fan warning well before it overheat.

I would like to see a pic of the install, if the pump is higher thant the rad, it can trap air and not pump, but it's a 800D, I guess the rad is on top

X-ROG
Level 15
Have you overclocked the 3820 at all?

All else fails: have you checked VRM temps and do you have anything cooling them?

Also you might want to read this thread about the H100: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=227133

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies and I'm sorry I didn't have time to follow up yesterday. So the general consensus is that it's something to do with the pump and, as usual, the mob was right!

I removed the H100 and got it running running one the bench and although the lights were on there was definitely no body home - I couldnt feel any movement or vibration to indicate that the pump was actually running. Ive replaced it with a new one, which I tested on the bench first and could feel some vibration, and all is fine now. The 3820 is running idle at a pleasing 24 -26 degrees. Temps under any significant load TBC as I haven't had chance to put Windows on yet.

Thanks again to all.