cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying without success to get Linux to boot (M4E)

helrich
Level 7
I've tried Slackware, Gentoo, and Mint but during boot they all hang on udev pci initialization. Tried adding flags noacip and acpi=off (got these tips from other forums) but nada. Anyone have luck booting linux on the M4E? Are there some BIOS settings that need tweaked? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Area_66
Level 11
I will put a HD temporary to try tomorrow ...... have you try to dissable the onboard iGPU and other useless stuff ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have had no problem with two of my systems. Using the basic Ubuntu install I downloaded. And seem to recall I used Puppy for a demo too.

Installs no problems here.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Area 66 wrote:
I will put a HD temporary to try tomorrow ...... have you try to dissable the onboard iGPU and other useless stuff ?

Everything is for the most part default aside from voltages and clocks. I do use the Intel RAID for my boot drives and was fully prepared to get my hands dirty in dmraid to get the partitions recognized and all that. But I never even got that far, as it was hanging while booting LiveCDs. I'll head into the BIOS and turn anything that even smells like "gimmick" off.

HiVizMan wrote:
I have had no problem with two of my systems. Using the basic Ubuntu install I downloaded. And seem to recall I used Puppy for a demo too.

Installs no problems here.

I might try Ubuntu just to see if it works. That's probably a pretty lenient distro as far as hardware is concerned. Really any Linux is better than Cygwin or Windows Telnet clients for doing my work remotely!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Area_66
Level 11
Mint and Ubuntu are prety the same as far as the installation. I suspect your raid as something to do with your problem.

silis
Level 7
I prefer use linux with vmware much less hassle-free.
Maximus IV Extreme-Z @ P67 Sabertooth (Great Mobo)
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz @ i5 2500k stock
PNY GTX 680 @ MSI GTX 670 PE/OC 1215 Stock Boost
Corsair AX850 @ 850TX
Asus 'Sata' DVD-RW
Intel 330 120gb ssd @ Pny 120gb ssd @ Intel 330 60gb ssd
1x1TB Samsung SATA III 6GB/S @ 3x2TB Western Digital Green 6GB/s (SATA III)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb cl9 Low Profile Dimms
Dell U2412M 1920x1200 60hz @ Samsung 2233rz 1680x1050 120hz
Fractal Design Define XL @ Corsair Obisidian 550D