cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH OVERHEATING when output to 24" LCD

Retired
Not applicable
I have a G73JH hooked up to a Gateway FPD2485W 24" LCD via an HDMI to DVI cable. This is the reason I bought it as a desktop replacement. Everything has been working fine up until I played World of Warcraft on it, which isn't even an resource intense game for this system. Laptop goes into hibernate after about 5 to 10 minutes of play. Note: It does NOT do this when running on the laptop alone. I still don't think it should do it when running on my LCD at 1920 x 1200 though, since this laptop has the best card going, which is why i bought it. ATI driver version 8.683.0.0

I tried updating the drivers and it cut the fps in half....so i did a rollback to the original.
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
The GPU may be overheating due to the increased demand. Do you have it on a laptop cooler with fans?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
It's a G73JH, so the fans are actually on the back, not the bottom. I guess i'll look for one that works with it. Thanks for your help 🙂

battch22 wrote:
It's a G73JH, so the fans are actually on the back, not the bottom. I guess i'll look for one that works with it. Thanks for your help 🙂

I'm aware, but with modern laptops they radiate heat from every surface. If the bottom is insulated by a fuzzy blanket it will still be hotter even if the rear vents are exposed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
No I don't have any external fans...just as is.

xeromist
OK, well make sure that it is on a hard surface and try to place something underneath the back edge so that air can move around it. You might also want to look into buying a laptop cooler since you are using this as a desktop replacement. Even if you didn't have problems with complete shutdown, keeping the components cool can help extend their lives.

Chastity
Level 10
Update your BIOS to 211, video vBIOS to latest beta, and then your ATI drivers.

http://tinyurl.com/2fr84z5
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

IM0001
Level 8
The G73 does most of its cooling through the top and out the back. As long as those are not blocked the laptop can be essentially on almost any surface. ( I have used mine on a bed many time for some Starcraft 2 with reasonable temps.)

I would do what Chastity says and check to make sure you have the latest System Bios, vBios (video bios), and maybe the latest ATI drivers.

Also you might want to run a temp monitor. HWmonitor works great and see what the CPU and GPU max temps get up to when you try to run WoW for a short while.

GW2
Level 7
You guys do realize the fans draw air in though the bottom and push it through the back right? the bottom vents are still very important.

GW2 wrote:
You guys do realize the fans draw air in though the bottom and push it through the back right? the bottom vents are still very important.

Actually on the G73 they dont. The Fans for both the CPU and GPU are on top of the motherboard, underneath the keyboard. The air comes in from the mesh part above the keyboard and under the monitor between the hinges, then gets blown out the back. Yes keeping the laptop on a hard surface and using a laptop cooler pad may help decrease temps a little bit, but overall a normal functioning G73 should have no problem sitting on any surface as long as the back vents are not blocked.

Just for the heck of it, Video Proof Once the metal base under the keyboard is removed both fans sit on top sucking the air in.... from the top.