cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Fans Stopping Shortly After Initial Boot

EvilCensor
Level 7
On power up the 140mm Noctua fan ran for a short while then slowed and stopped (connected to CPU_FAN) the second 120mm continued to run (connected CPU_OPT) any idea what might be causing this?

After a short while the 120mm stops too, then the 140mm started followed by the 120mm.. is the motherboard controlling them? Don't want to leave it on long enough to check BIOS settings.

Tried again and got a CPU Fan error on the screen.. could it be the BIOS settings?
6 REPLIES 6

Claudiu_Angelo
Level 7
I have the same cooler I had the same problem.
If your cpu is cold, the fans do not spin. And the processor is certain cold at boot. then depending on the applications you run or making an oc, fans will spin faster or slower due to PWM sistem.

from noctua site about error
I get a CPU fan error using my Noctua PWM fan, is it faulty?
Noctua PWM fans feature a minimum speed of 300rpm to allow for ultra quiet operation when your CPU is at idle state and doesn’t require higher cooling performance. Some mainboards display error messages such as “CPU fan error” during the booting process when the fan speed is below a certain level. If you get such error messages using your Noctua PWM fan and if such options are available in your BIOS, please either adjust the minimum fan speed limit to below 300rpm or increase the minimum PWM duty cycle. If your BIOS doesn’t offer these options, please disable CPU fan errors. For detailed information on BIOS fan settings, please consult your mainoard’s manual or contact your mainboard manufacturer.

EvilCensor
Level 7
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I disabled CPU Q-Fan Control and it's whizzing away atm. If computer reboots CPU_FAN often comes to a complete stop (pre BIOS options) but CPU_OPT carries on. I hope this is normal.. never been so paranoid over a build yet 😞

EvilCensor wrote:
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I disabled CPU Q-Fan Control and it's whizzing away atm. If computer reboots CPU_FAN often comes to a complete stop (pre BIOS options) but CPU_OPT carries on. I hope this is normal.. never been so paranoid over a build yet 😞

You have connected separately the two fans 140 120 mm in CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT?
i use the supplied y-split cable to connect both fans to one fan header - CPU_FAN.

Area_66
Level 11
You gone love the D-14 , I always use 3 fans

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for the fix and explanation Claudio I have taken notes and will add it to my files of product related fix's

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
EvilCensor wrote:
On power up the 140mm Noctua fan ran for a short while then slowed and stopped (connected to CPU_FAN) the second 120mm continued to run (connected CPU_OPT) any idea what might be causing this?

After a short while enough to check BIOS settings.

Tried again and got a CPU Fan error on the screen.. could it be the BIOS settings?

As pointed out above it is all temperature related. You can actually set the profile to be more aggressive if you wish. Q-Fan has 4 settings if I recall, or you can set the minimum and maximum fan speed thresholds.