cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EAH 6950 DCII coil whine like mad

gaga11
Level 7
hey,
for some time my 6950 has been bothering me with quite loud coil whine... especially when playing alan wake its so loud... (vsync lowers the noise but its still there)

in bf3 i noticed the same thing, its not that loud but it still bothers me, since its the loudest noise mah comp makes

kinda funny to see that... "buzz free operation" *cough*

ive tried changing voltages abit to see if it gets quieter but no luck
also i thought my PSU mite be the problem, but i tried a 530 watts bequiet PSU from mah friend... no luck either

i read about putting nail polish on the chokes but i dun wanna do that...

anybody else with a similar problem, or even a solution?

help appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is there a whine when your GPU is running at stock. If yes - RMA

If no then not much you can do about it sadly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

gaga11
Level 7
currently running with unlocked shaders but i also tried it at all stock.... still got coil whine

im really worried about rma'ing the card

first they mite say.. hey its not a bug its a feature
second they mite give me some other card thats not unlockable
and third it will take more than a month probably =/

was hoping for some easy fix :<

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry mate - if it was a wife that whined the easy fix is available, simply send it back. Graphic cards are not so simple to sort!!

Flash your card back to default and see if the problem is still there, is an option. Or sadly live with it if you are not too keen to RMA. 😞
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

gaga11
Level 7
well it still makes that coil whining noise when at stock bios with stock voltage and stock clock speeds :S

i guess i will have to live with it

thanks