cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX is making the "hardware found" sound when I close the screen.

Cat
Level 9
As if I've plugged something into a USB port. When I reopen it it makes the hardware removed sound. This started happening after I updated my Nvidia drivers to the 296.10 version. I updated Windows 7 and such that day too, but as far as I recall it only started making the sounds after I updated the drivers. There was this one weird occasion where I went into the Nvidia control panel when the resolution had changed to 1680x1050 60Hz for some reason and it said I had two monitors plugged in, one called "Analog monitor" or something. When I changed it to use the normal one it disappeared and it hasn't happened again.

I'm guessing it might fix it to wait for a driver update, but what I really want to know is whether anyone else has experienced this problem. It seems rather... unique.
7 REPLIES 7

OldNESJunkie
Level 7
Yeah, that's rather unique alright. I just upgraded to the latest drivers yesterday, don't have any issues like that that I've noticed, but I don't close my screen all that much either. I'll have to check mine when I get home later and see if it does this as well. I'll let you know if mine does it.

I have the same issue with mine, as though something is plugged in when i close the lid. needless to say, nothing is, and it doesn't seem to have impeded performanc by any means, but it still is rather strange.

dstrakele
Level 14
With 2 of you reporting this issue, it sounds worthy for inclusion in the official NVIDIA 296.10 Driver Feedback Thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=224948&st=0
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Cat
Level 9
I just updated to 296.16, still doing it. Though, to be fair, I haven't restarted my computer yet.

Cat
Level 9
Still happens after reboot.

zsld0423
Level 9
Had this problem too, I ended up disabling that sound completely in the sound menu. But I reformatted my comp recently, and it hasn't done it yet, so I'm not sure what caused it. I was on a different video driver tho on my G74
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

Cat
Level 9
Bumping old thread. It's still happening after the latest update. I recorded the screen with fraps while closing the lid and it changes the resolution to a lower one when I close the lid and then goes back to the native one when I reopen it. The changes coincide with the hardware found/disconnected noises. The resolution change mucks around with my non-fullscreened windows and my desktop shortcuts.