cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using the Recovery Partition

ukase
Level 7
hi,
i used the Recovery Partition by pressing F9 and i choosed "Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions", the problem is i lost all my files. is there any way to get my files back? Please help me out i lost everything. thanks.
asus notebook
model:a42j
mb ver:k42jc
7 REPLIES 7

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
Depends on what it is exactly you did. If you did a full format then yes you have lost all your files. Remember to save any files you want to keep on a thumb drive prior to reformatting your HD. It completely wipes the hard drive and brings it to it's factory state.

The web is a powerful place and so are these forums. It's best to ask questions before you act rather than the opposite. Good luck
ASUS g74SX-XT1

BrodyBoy
Level 10
ukase wrote:
hi,
i used the Recovery Partition by pressing F9 and i choosed "Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions", the problem is i lost all my files. is there any way to get my files back? Please help me out i lost everything. thanks.
asus notebook
model:a42j
mb ver:k42jc

Unfortunately, I'm afraid they are permanently lost. I'm very sorry that happened.

Hi,
First , there were three partition options:
1- Recover Windows to first partition only.
2- Recover Windows to entire HD.
3- Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.

i selected the third option.
please tell me i didnt lose everything.

Second, which one of the above i should have chosen without losing anything ? (i dont want to use CD backup)
thanks.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm afraid they are permanently lost. I'm very sorry that happened.

As @BrodyBoy says, I'm also sorry for that this happend. 😞

You choosed to do a factory restore on the whole system, and then when it's finished everything is overwritten with the new "out of box" setup.

So for the next time when you want to recover your notebook to factory settings, be sure to take backup of your important files, so this will not happend in the future 🙂

ukase wrote:
Second, which one of the above i should have chosen without losing anything ? (i dont want to use CD backup)
thanks.

I'm not sure, every time I have done a facotry restore I have choosed the wrong option 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

my bad,, thank you so much.. 🙂

fuzon1337 wrote:
You choosed to do a factory restore on the whole system, and then when it's finished everything is overwritten with the new "out of box" setup.

Just a note of clarification.....it doesn't restore the whole system, but the whole OS disk (as Drew described). In two drive systems, the second HDD is never touched by a factory restore, so that part of the out-of-box setup is not replicated.

A tiny point, but since the discussion was to clarify what each of the restore options does, it seemed pertinent. 😉

ukase wrote:
Hi,
First , there were three partition options:
1- Recover Windows to first partition only.
2- Recover Windows to entire HD.
3- Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.

i selected the third option.
please tell me i didnt lose everything.

thanks.

There is no factory restore option that is not destructive to at least some data on the existing drive. The first option will limit the restore to the existing OS partition only.....but it WILL overwrite it and you WILL lose whatever is on that partition. So any programs you have installed there (and that's where all programs install by default), any APPDATA & setup files, user files and custom settings, etc....those will be lost. All data and files on your other partitions will be untouched IF you use option #1.

dstrakele
Level 14
If your HDD has an OS and a Data.partitition, backup any important files to the Data partition and choose option 1. This will only overwrite the OS partition.

Option 3 overwrites the entire disk, creating a new OS and Data partition. No files on that disk are saved.

Option 2 also overwrites the entire disk, but creates a single large OS partition that spans the entie disk. No files are saved on that disk.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT