cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Crossfire question

LizardKing
Level 7
So I have the ASUS 7970 DirectCU ii and it seems that they're no longer for sale, even though they've only been on the store shelves for a little over a month. I've been meaning to buy a second one so I could run an eyefinity setup with 3 30" monitors, but now that they're no longer for sale I was wondering if I bought a second 7970 reference or factory OCed model from another manufacturer if it would pair up fine with my DirectCU ii.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah - if they have the same amount of memory then it should be all good. Best thing would be to test. Or borrow a mates card to test.

Regards
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

LizardKing
Level 7
Yeah, I don't know anybody else with a 7970 and I'd like to figure this out before I drop another few hundred bucks on a card just to find out it wont pair up.

LizardKing wrote:
Yeah, I don't know anybody else with a 7970 and I'd like to figure this out before I drop another few hundred bucks on a card just to find out it wont pair up.

Be sure to talk with management at the store if you do buy one, be sure to tell them your situation. Give them the choice of making the sale if they agree to a full refund if you discover once installed it is not completely compatible. Ask if you can bring in your tower if they have one on their test bench so you can just check that way.

Another thing to do would be to contact the manufacturer. If calling by phone then be certain to ask for a "High Tier Technician". I would bet money that the first tech on the line is not going to know this answer. These techs are likely just hired data miners that never touch hardware and will only tell you what is wrote somewhere in their database or on the net. I doubt the answer to your question is going to be published yet if even determined, its likely the engineers would know and the "High Tier Technicians" are the ones sharing thoughts and feedback with those guys. I would recommend the Email route because its going to take over an hour for them to find an answer for your technical question. This is just my assumption.

Another option is to return the video card to where you got it. When they ask why simply say; "Can you get me a second one so I can CrossfireX this one?". If they trouble you for a restock fee, ask them if they had any trouble selling the ones they had.

You could also check eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASUS-Radeon-HD-7970-DirectCU-II-3GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-HD7970-DC2-3GD5-/2...
Last option is to sell your card on eBay since I am sure you are not alone in this situation. Your card will have no problem selling for exactly what you paid for it if no one can find them anywhere else.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
Thermaltake 1050 Grand PSU
Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Mobo
Intel LGA 2011 i7 3820 3.6Ghz CPU
(4) Corsair 4Gb 1600Mhz Memory Modules [16Gb Quad Channel]
Aerocool Touch 2000 Fan Controller
Samsung 128GB SSD 6GB/Sec SATA Drive
Radeon HD 7770 GPU (Eyefinity 3 wide on 22" LED AOC Monitors)
LG 24x DVD/RW Drive
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Saitek X52 Pro Combat Joystick
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do understand.

The reason I am not going to try and answer that one without testing it myself. Is that I have three different 580GTX cards and they do not play nice together at all. I should never have sold my first two.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
I have some experience with multi gpu,

The thing is, for best result, use cards that are of the same model..

And there will be no prob..

grottslampan wrote:
I have some experience with multi gpu,

The thing is, for best result, use cards that are of the same model..

And there will be no prob..

Grotti is spot on here. We both use multicards of each and every generation for our sport/hobby. And it is best to avoid complications when you are talking expensive items like these graphic cards. Now I buy all of the same.