cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBeauty to be born

Zka17
Level 16
Hi everyone, I am starting this thread to document the build of my new system. I am not a pro, however I do have some experience in putting together some pc hardware. Also, I am not afraid to use some tools for cutting, drilling, etc. to obtain what I dreamed about. I do have a life, family and professional – so building this system may take a while... In mean time, any comment, suggestion, idea is welcome!

The basic plan is to build the strongest computer I can with decent external look and do it in a way to keep it as silent as possible. By “strongest” I mean the best I can afford. I do have some parts already and I am ready to upgrade some of them as well as I am prepared to spend more – but all in a resonable limit. “Decent external look” for me is simple as possible. A simple black (possible matte) exterior with as few lights as possible – the essence will be inside! “Silent” is quiet. Intending to make a balance between performance and quietness, sometimes even going more for quiet.

Let’s see what I am starting with. I have an Asus Rampage III extreme motherboard and an Intel Core i7-980X processor. Regarding the graphics, I am definetely going for an SLI system, not sure yet about the cards... Right now I do have 3 EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked ones, but will see. As for the memory, I have a 12GB Corsair Dominator and a 24GB Kingstone HyperX kit, both of them at 1600 MHz. The storage will be a combination of SSD(s) and HDD(s), right now having 2 120GB Corsair Force GTs and 2 2TB Western Digital Caviar Blacks. I have two strong power supplies, a Corsair AX1200 and a Silverstone ST1500, will use them based on needs (depending more on what graphic cards will use at final assembly).

All my build is going to be based on a Corsair Obsidian 800d, hundred percent sure that will be modded. More on this later.

A basic recuirement to achieve my goals (especially the “silent” part, but benefic for the “strongest” part too) is the water cooling system. In my next post this will be the focus of my writing.
67 REPLIES 67

frisianbear2002
Level 9
Looking forward to see some pics of it.
l Asus Rampage 4 Extreme l intel 3930X@ 4800Mhz (1.45volt) 24/7 l Asus matrix GTX 580 l
16GB Team Xtreem DDR3 PC3-20800 2600MHz (11-11-11-28-1)
l Coolermaster Silentpro 1000w PSU l Revodrive3 ssd l WD Raptor 150Gb (10000rpm) l Corsair H100 wc with 4 Cougar Vortex fans l CM HAF 932 Avanced case l Acer X243H 24'' l Asus RT N66U Dark Knight l Logitech Z2300 speakers

In progress the custom build PC Samurai Warrior ''Miyamoto Musashi'' in Japanese ''宮本 武蔵'' made by Pascal

Thanks frisianbear2002! I really intend to post as much as I can.

So, as I promised, here will share my idea about the water cooling setup.
I am thinking about a single loop, multiple radiator system. Here is a sketch of it:

As it can be seen I am going for a near full water cooling system. Not sure yet about the storage (SSD and HDD), will depend on how the modding of the case will go.

I plan to use 3 radiators, right now my best idea for them is the Balck Ice SR1 family. On the top of the Corsair 800D would place a 140x3 one, a 120x1 on the back and a 120x2 in the place of the bottom HDD cage (which will be removed, of course).

For these radiators I am planning to use Cougar fans, the CF-V14HBs (for 140mm) and the CF-V12HPBs (for 120mm). I really like this fans, I have good experience with four of them on a Corsair H100. This time I am going for all black models. Of course, all of them will be on a controller.

I didn’t found to much info on combination of the Cougar fans with the Black Ice SR1 radiators, so any input on this is very welcome! For a better perfomance and silence, will use a push-pull fan configuration on all radiators, also will use shrouds on the side of the radiators which does not have by default.

Regarding the water blocks, I have all EK ones. For the graphic cards in SLI I was thinking at the EK’s parallel connector block, so all of the cards would be cooled equally.

I have several Swiftech MCP655 (speed variable models), I was thinking to use 2 of them in a serial setup. I think that two of them would be enough for this loop, but also need some input on this matter.

Based on my present imagination, the top and rear radiators will exhaust, while the bottom one will pull and push from and to outside. Will mount this bottom one vertically, so will pull from left side and push through right side. Not clear yet how will resolve the intake for the top and rear radiators... One thing is sure, I will completely separate the bottom compartment from the main one – so no bottom intake will be possible. Maybee I will make a side or front intake, maybee both – will see.

tadhp
Level 10
I like the way you do the brainstorm for your new build.
Good luck and have fun
CPU : Intel i7-3960X MB : Rampage IV Extreme 3101 Mem : G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH
GPU : MSI R7970 Lightning PSU : Corsair 1000W OS : W 7 Ultimate Corsair H100 Water cool
SSD : 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD : 512GB Samsung 480 Pro HDD : 2X 1T WD Speaker : Bose companion 5
Cooler Master
HAF-X Monitor : ASUS PB278Q

Zka17
Level 16
Thanks tadhp! I will have fun, that's sure - about the luck... well, will see.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Sounds like the great battle plan. Share your hobby with us (with them and me, I`M also a new member). If you are planning to get another CPU, just ask me if I can afford your 980X 😉

Cygnitr0n
Level 10
One cooling tip bro.

It doens't matter how your loop is being build. Only what you should do is build the Reservoir above you pump.
The tempature diffrence when going into a rad because of the warmth is so small.. that u better build it with one clean loop.

The warmth in total is something to forget then.

Your doing this right know: Heat cold Heat cold Heat cold (Sounds perfect, but is it nice to do?)
It doesn't matter really, thats my honest opinion.

This is mine: Res-Pump-GPU-GPU-120Rad-Mosfet-Cpu-Mem-Rad240-Rad240-Res

The 2 RAD240 is doing all the cooling that it's needed for the whole loop.

Maybe you can use the tip, maybe someone has an other opinion.

Thanks, CygnitrOn, for your opinion!

You are right, I am doing "heat-cold-heat-cold" in my loop. I think this is the optimal compromise for all components to get the lowest temps. Of course, you can go for an all parallel system, or even more than two separate loops - but those are getting more complicated.

By the way, your loop is heat(2xGPU)-cold(120 rad)-heat(VRM-CPU-Mem)-cold(2x240 rad) too (in your Obsidian Carnage project)!

The major difference between your system and my plans are that the X58-based system with 3xGTX480s runs a little bit warmer than yours. I am 100% sure that a single 120mm radiator isn't enough for my 3 VGAs, sincerely, I doubt that would be enough for your double GTX560Tis either... This way you are supplying pre-heated water to your VRM, which will further heat it before will get to the CPU. I am aware that this temp difference could be only few degrees, but that will matter at the time when you will push the boundaries with OC.

But let me post some of my thoughts about temps at your Obsidian Carnage thread (just give me few hours, I am at work now...)!

Zka17
Level 16
After exposing my ideas about the water cooling loop (and that discussion is still open!), here I would share some of my thoughts about the case. Warning: this may became long, and is just the product of my imagination – not the work itself (that will come soon!).

As I said earlier, I am going to use the popular Corsair Obsidian 800D as the basis for my build. I think, it’s a great case, big enough to give some freedom for custom builds. I like specially it’s exterior simplicity, although the side window it’s already to much for me. So, here will be my first (and easiest) change – will use a side panel without the plexi window. As for the exterior, some additional vent holes will be made (see later) and that’s it! Not sure yet if I will repaint it, mainly depends on how much collateral damage will produce...

Starting with the vent holes, I am planning to release the fans from the grill’s restriction. I did it before with other cases, it works for me – better airflow, quiet operation. Will cut the top panel, definetely, to fit a 140x3 radiator. This will be covered with the Koolance’s shroud. I need this since I want to use shrouds between the radiator and fans, so the overall thickness of this top unit will be to big to fit entirely inside the case. Additionally, will remove the grill from the rear fan hole too.

Because I intend to place the bottom 120x2 radiator vertically, will make intake and exhaust holes on the left and right side panels. I have two reasons to place this radiator vertically. The first one is better airflow – just think about those recommandations to place the case 200-300mm away from the wall to have proper exhaust in the back. I don’t think those setups, we can see all over with a bottom, horizontally placed radiators, would have a perfect exhaust... The second reason is that, with this vertical setup, I can have an exterior exhaust – the air leaving the radiator won’t contribute to warm other components inside the case.

The choosen radiator in a vertical position will be to tall to fit in the place of that bottom HDD cage, so I will modify the midpanel too. In the lower compartment will be the psu and the 120x2 radiator, and maybe the pumps – not sure yet about this. Anyway, won’t need that vent hole on it, so on my new midpanel will have to deal with holes for tubing only.

To feed the top and rear radiators with fresh air, will have to come up with some ideas... Perhaps will go with custom vent hole(s), not sure yet if they will be active intakes (with fans) or just simply holes. It is also a question where to place these intakes? The first obvious place is the left side panel, of course, but at what level exactly? Since everything inside will be chilled with water, placing holes at the level of the graphic cards will cause only trouble (restriction of the airflow, maybe even noise if I am using fans). Also, thinking about front intake, but not sure yet if I will have enough space for it...

As for the interior look of the case/built... that’s the part I will change radically! While it’s always good to see your components, I have the feeling that is too messy. All those small components on the motherboard, all those wires (even sleeved) makes the overall look to complicated. Do you know what I mean? Here is an example: took some random pictures of the under hood compartment of the cars from the net:

All those power cables have to connect to motherboard and graphic cards are irritating me. Will try to make a cover to hide all of them! Something like our ROGer fellow from South Korea did in the upper part of his motherboard – just going forward and cover everything.

By the way, here I would repeat my questions I posted earlier in the other section: Does anyone have a defective R3E motherboard? I just need it as a template to design the above mentioned modifications. Until now didn’t get any replies... It’s hard to belive that nobody fried one after the warranty... Who knows what Asus is doing with those RMA’d boards? I am sure that some of them are actually working, but what about the really bad ones? Could I get a really bad one from them?

Getting back to my plans, CyberDruid’s 800D mod (you can find on YouTube) is a great inspiration for me. It’s just too bad he retired from modding! Perhaps, I will use similar trim panels to cover the 5.25” cage and hot swap bay.

One thing is not clear for me yet. What to do with the SSD(s) and HDD(s)? I don’t want to use a ton of them anyway, maximum two of each (maybe in RAID) will be plenty for me. The hot swap bay is cool, but I am not sure if I will use the offered feature – not intending to frequently change those drives. The main problem is that I would like to keep some cooling on them, but the original side fan on that cage is a little bit odd for me. Besides, while I will modify the midpanel for the bottom radiator, not sure that the hot swap bay will fit anymore...

I was looking at this Watercool Silentstar HD Quad Core Rev 2 unit... I am aware that my planned storage will not produce enormous heat, so water cooling them is not a must – but with this could remove completely that side fan, and have an all water cooled system. Anyone has experience with this product? Will the SATA III hot swap backplate from the 800D fit on this?

Any comments, ideas, inputs are very welcome!