cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX ---> External Monitor 3D

Giako
Level 7
Hello everyone!
I have a problem ... does anyone know how I can connect my asus g74sx to an external display 3D 120 hz?
I tried using an adapter hdmi-dvi dual link and it seems that the screen in the nvidia panel is recognized (but still not able to go to 60 hz) .... The fact is that during the installation wizard of 3D vision, I get a red screen (like if it breaks the emitter 3D) ...
Premise that my connection diagram is as follows:

Notebook ---> hdmi-dvi dual link ---> 3D display 120 hz (then using the 3D Vision kit 2 (with external emitter connected to the notebook) ..
Someone can help me?
You also have connected an external display?
Thanks all!
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~
12 REPLIES 12

fuzon1337
Level 10
I think that since you're useing a adapter (hdmi-dvi dual link) is the reason for that you don't get the 120hz screen. The HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 120hz and how should the adapter be capable to transfer 120hz to the screen?
(I searched on google about HDMI 1.4 if it supported 120hz, couldn't find a concret answer but it look liked it doesn't support)

If you want the true speed between notebook and screen, then ASUS should have installed a DVI port on these notebooks, and I wonder why they don't have done it 😞

But ofcourse I can be very wrong about this....
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
I think that since you're useing a adapter (hdmi-dvi dual link) is the reason for that you don't get the 120hz screen. The HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 120hz and how should the adapter be capable to transfer 120hz to the screen?
(I searched on google about HDMI 1.4 if it supported 120hz, couldn't find a concret answer but it look liked it doesn't support)

If you want the true speed between notebook and screen, then ASUS should have installed a DVI port on these notebooks, and I wonder why they don't have done it 😞

But ofcourse I can be very wrong about this....

In fact, using hdmi-hdmi I remained at 60 hz ... I was looking at all the ways to find a solution, putting an adapter, but apparently did not think it's a solution ...
They did a great bull**** not to put the dvi output on the notebook ...
I read through hdmi 1.4 works, but on an external TV via nvidia program that gives you ...
"It's powered with NVIDIA ® 3D Vision ™, I know games, photos and movies are all Able to be enjoyed like never before. There's Also The ability to output the G74SX to 3D TV, so you can enjoy 3D entertainment from the living room. "
At this point I think I'll have to sell the screen (Benq Xl2420T) ..
If quanlcuno is able to give me a hand, I accept any advice.
Thank you!
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~

dstrakele
Level 14
Is it possible to create a Custom resolution with a 120 mhz refresh rate in NVIDIA Control Panel - Screen Resolution. You need to be very careful here, however, because you can create a setting beyond the capacity of your TV. This could cause damage. I recommend confirming what resolutions/refresh rates are listed by the manufacturer for your specific model.

Otherwise, I would probably try completely uninstalling the NVIDIA driver (you may need to use Driver Sweeper and CCleaner to do so) and then re-install the NVIDIA drivers from Safe Mode. Hopefully, this will allow you to install the 3D Vision (I would also install this from Safe Mode) without issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

hi, i'm using an asus 3d monitor vg278h, and altho9ugh it works using just hdmi 1.4 it only allows 24hz at 1920x1080
to get the full 120hz it needs the dvi which, suckilly, the g74sx does not have.....i am now looking to see if there is a way around this, although if you have tried the hdmi to dvi connector to no avail i'm sure the usb3 will have the same problem...(they run at 10gbps as far as i know.....VERY DISSAPOINTING!

dogla
Level 7
So why the hell does ASUS sell a 3D gaming laptop (with 120Hz 3D screen) without the ability to connect multiple monitors with 3D effects running same specs as the laptop screen.......big FAIL right there....
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
1TB Seagate Barracuda 2nd HDD
GTX560M 3GB

Im new here i just bought a ASUS G74SX-3D laptop a month ago and my first thougt was *grazy nice computer ive got here* i like it totaly no issues at all. Now i is thinking to buy a Asus VG278H also, but read here that the monitor dont work with the laptop, is this really true?

If you answer just explain very easy!

Can i play 2D games?
Watch movie?
Can i even start it from my ASUS G74SX-3D

Best regards!

Saint G74 wrote:
Im new here i just bought a ASUS G74SX-3D laptop a month ago and my first thougt was *grazy nice computer ive got here* i like it totaly no issues at all. Now i is thinking to buy a Asus VG278H also, but read here that the monitor dont work with the laptop, is this really true?

If you answer just explain very easy!

Can i play 2D games?
Watch movie?
Can i even start it from my ASUS G74SX-3D

Best regards!

Yes, it will work for all of the things you listed at full 1920x1080@60Hz resolution.

It will also work for 3D but the refresh rate must be slower or the resolution must be lower. The current generation of HDMI connections aren't fast enough to do full HD at 120Hz (60Hz 3D). This is what people are complaining about.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dogla wrote:
So why the hell does ASUS sell a 3D gaming laptop (with 120Hz 3D screen) without the ability to connect multiple monitors with 3D effects running same specs as the laptop screen.......big FAIL right there....

Apparently they thought people would be connecting them to 3DTV's which currently use the 720p60 or 1080p24 specs.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dogla
Level 7
I was planning to buy a 55" Full HD 3D TV (120Hz).....I won't be able to enjoy 3D games on my TV then.......dammit
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
1TB Seagate Barracuda 2nd HDD
GTX560M 3GB