cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ATK package

tgmlab
Level 7
I noticed an ATKACPI package dated 2012.03.02 - Version V1.0.0015 listed on ASUS G74X download in the Utilities section of the members page. I am running v1.0.0014. Wondering what is new and if I should update (best way possible)... Thanks 🙂
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, ASUS hasn't provided any information on the changes in this ATK Package release (as they have for the BIOS files). If you are experiencing a problem with any of the ASUS hot keys, I would recommend giving it a try. But if you have no hot key problems, I'd hold off on applying this update.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Unfortunately, ASUS hasn't provided any information on the changes in this ATK Package release (as they have for the BIOS files). If you are experiencing a problem with any of the ASUS hot keys, I would recommend giving it a try. But if you have no hot key problems, I'd hold off on applying this update.

+1

Owners should be cautious about updating the ATK Package. My impression is that ATK updates generally address some specific issue, but Asus makes it almost impossible to know which updates are aimed at which models. So there's always a strong possibility that an update just includes a little patch for another model, and that it not only offers no benefit to your computer, but could potentially degrade your keyboard performance.

I've picked apart a few ATK installer packages. I was kind of appalled to see how "sloppy" that software is. Asus apparently doesn't bother to write new versions (for new models or updates)...they just layer more and more patches onto old ones. Some components in there are many years old, and they include tons of conditional components (i.e., "if any of these devices are found, install component X...followed by lengthy lists of old legacy devices). They're very fat and messy...no wonder it's a driver that can get screwed up so easily.

Bottom line: If your keyboard is already working well, don't be in a hurry to alter/update the ATK Package.

Bojamijams
Level 7
Whats a good test of 'see if the ATK keys are working for you' ?

My fn+f# keys works fine with a pretty little graphic logo showing volume up, ac power in, etc. Thats what the ATK enables right?

My fn+arrow key functions don't work right. would this fix that maybe?

Bojamijams wrote:
Whats a good test of 'see if the ATK keys are working for you' ?

My fn+f# keys works fine with a pretty little graphic logo showing volume up, ac power in, etc. Thats what the ATK enables right?

My fn+arrow key functions don't work right. would this fix that maybe?

What used to be several different utilities are now combined under one umbrella in these "packages." The ATKOSD (and its "3D" version, ATKOSD2) drive all that graphical feedback you mentioned...they are just one of the components included in the ATK package. From what I can tell (i.e., I don't see complaints about the OSDs not working), that part must be pretty stable.

The package also includes drivers for models that have dedicated media keys and for models that use the arrow keys for media control. If you are having trouble with that function, the ATK driver is to blame. But I'd suggest you try a repair install of your existing ATK drivers before uninstalling and trying a whole new package. (Unless they never worked at all.....then you may need a different package.)

A point I didn't mention in my earlier post is that, due to the way it looks for so many other devices and their drivers during installation, the ATK package seems to be most stable when it's installed last...after all the other drivers. Logically, it would follow (to me, anyway) that updating other drivers could, over time, cause problems with some ATK components. A re-installation, or a repair installation, should hopefully get it back to its more stable "last driver" status.

dstrakele
Level 14
I was able to get a song to start and stop playing in Windows Media Player with the Fn-down and Fn-up arrow keys. They may work only with Windows Media Player and/or Windows Media Center. I'm not really sure.... It would probably be best to find out how they are designed to work before attempting to fix them with this update.

Otherwise, your testing strategy is sound. It should provide the specific function and present a screen display.

EDIT: The G74SX Manual states: Use the [Fn] key in combination with the arrow keys for CD control functions. I don't believe they present a display when pressed.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

tgmlab
Level 7
Thanks everyone!

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
i have loaded the new package, and it works absolutely fine for me. everything seems to be doing what it is supposed to do, and i haven't seen any problems thus far. i loaded it yesterday, so i have played with it for a while.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

zsld0423
Level 9
Same here, been using the .0015 Version and no issues so far
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423
Level 9
Update: I take back what I said before, after using the newest ATK package I'm not able to change the brightness on the screen. Didn't want to edit my own post because I wanted this to be moved back to the recent stuff so people could see. I rolled back to the .0014 ATK package and my brightness (FN+F5&F6) keys are working again
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate