cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Question] G74sx High performance mode

ek93922
Level 7
I've tried searching on Google and on the forums for quite a while now....

I own a G74sx.

I've had the G74SX for a about 3 months now and i kept playing games under its "Entertainment mode" (forgot that there was a high performance mode)
I know this question may sound very stupid but is the "high performance mode" same thing as overclocking?

if not, then does the mode stress the CPU less than the actual overclocking?

P.S. my computer is always plugged so is it recommended/(healthy for the laptop) to keep it on Entertainment mode or high performance mode all the time?

Thank You!
5 REPLIES 5

BrodyBoy
Level 10
ek93922 wrote:
I've had the G74SX for a about 3 months now and i kept playing games under its "Entertainment mode" (forgot that there was a high performance mode)
I know this question may sound very stupid but is the "high performance mode" same thing as overclocking?

if not, then does the mode stress the CPU less than the actual overclocking?

P.S. my computer is always plugged so is it recommended/(healthy for the laptop) to keep it on Entertainment mode or high performance mode all the time?

Thank You!

No....it doesn't stress your CPU you at all.....it's just a power usage configuration. The power profile you use, whether you are setting it in P4G (as you appear to be) or Windows Power Options, is just a bunch of settings that customize the computer's power usage. Alternate power profiles are mostly useful for those who have to rely on battery power a lot.

"Maximum" or "high performance" profiles are just the ones that don't prioritize energy savings (by doing things like selectively shutting down unused devices, dimming the display, or limiting the CPU speed). But no setting actually overclocks the CPU.

If you're not trying to extend battery life, the High Performance setting is fine.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
High performance mode just keeps the proc running at max. It's not the same as overclocking, and I've not had any negative experience leaving it at High Perf.

Thank you for clarifying my questions!

At first I didn't even notice the actual difference between Entertainment and High Performance modes.
Currently owning: G74SX-AH71

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Actually, while "High Performance" mode does not actually over-clock the processor, it does prevent it from dropping into lower clock speeds or sleep states. As a result, certain benchmarks return higher results, such as Mathematica.

In High Performace mode, Mathematica places a G53SX with i7-2630QM at 0.98-0.99, which is just behind a 3.06 GHz i7-920 desktop. Under other performance profiles, the numbers drop to about 0.94-0.95 or less, which is about on par with a high-end 1st-gen i5 desktop processor.

If you are worried about burn-out, don't worry. ASUS builds the best cooling solutions, so over-heating is not a concern. Lots of other companies skimp on the cooling, and when the work load increases, it shows. That stealth-fighter design isn't just a stylish design, it allows the engineers at ASUS to put in a much better cooling solution.

High-performance modes would be an issue on a macbook pro, where Apple puts a comparable processor in with only one tiny fan:mad:. I have my ASUS G53SX up on a cooler, but it doesn't help all that much, considering that ASUS ROG computers draw air in under the speaker grill:), as opposed to the bottom of the notebook like most manufacturers.

If heat is a concern, buy a decent quality cooler, they aren't that expensive. One might call them a cheap peace-of-mind insurance policy for the careful. Alternately, run the system in "Entertainment" mode, which allows the processor to sleep, but will run at full capacity when the need arises. Personally, I use the "Quiet Office" profile because it runs the fans less. Not that the fans are usually that loud, but more sleeping=cooler processor=more peace of mind;).

Hope this helps!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23