cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build,keeps shutting down randomly

barracudamuscle
Level 7
Hello,
So long story short the this is my 3rd mb, the first one was DOA and returned. The second one was doing exactly what the new 3rd board does which is this...

So I installed windows 7 x64, ran the updates and now can barely keep the comp running longer then about 3-5 mins even in bios. I dont believe its a cooling issue as the temps are max 45c. I am running the latest bios 0704, i7 950 processor with patriot 1600mhz 2 GB chips x3, a ATI Radeon 5870 HD 2GB card, a 750w PSU, H60 CPU water cooling element.

Ive tried removing the jumpers for the power switches incase they were shorting out, disconnected the usb connectors and audio panel stuff. Its interesting as say it shuts down, I cant just hit the power button and it turns on, more often then not I have to cycle the PSU and hit the clr cmos button for it to work.

Obviously since MB 2 and now 3 do the same thing it must be something configured wrong? Ive tried placing it on a piece of cardboard to see if it was shorting out same thing.
6 REPLIES 6

celticguy75
Level 8
Could be the memory. Try removing two of the chips, then seeing if the problem reoccurs, if not, add 1 chip at a time

barracudamuscle
Level 7
I tried using 1 stick, different sticks etc. I pulled a old 400W PSU from an old cpu and tried it. Even though it had a 20 pin vs the 24 pin it still worked. The computer ran for the longest time ever today, only in bios. As soon as I goto boot into windows it crashes. Possibly not enough juice to power the system and videocards. So PSU I was thinking, I tried my new corsair 750w again and it will crash in bios, boot everything.
The new corsair PSU acts weird as if the cpu crashes the leds on the fan and mb flash for a second like a false start then I have to power cycle the PSU. Last night I couldnt get the comp to turn on even after the cycling of the PSU, so I thought the PSU died, well today it worked after pulling off the 400W unit.
Imcurious if I dont have two issues here compounding each other. One the PSU since it doesnt start the CPU all the time espesually after a crash unlike the old 400W one that does it as expected. The new PSU will crash in bios in the menus, meanwhile the old 400W ran today for hours in bios no issue.
I think the other issue is maybe my ATI 5870HD video card is defective(brand new) and it is causing the BSOD on boot past bios. Ive read alot of people saying they got one DOA or it died after a week, maybe this is adding to it. Unfortionately I have to wait for a RMA for the video card to really find out. Any thoughts? Am I going down the wrong way?

celticguy75
Level 8
It's possible, although improbable that you have two issues. It sounds like the PSU may be at fault because if it's not supplying enough, or consistent power to the graphic card, it will fail out with a BSOD. I'd replace the PSU first and see if that cures the problem.

xeromist
You're not going about this the wrong way. Systematic troubleshooting is really the only way to find a problem like this. One thing that you could also try is to run memtest86 to see if there are any errors.

If you think that you might be overloading the PSU or that the 12V rail for your EPS 8pin may be bad then you could use both PSU's in combination. One you use the 24 pin and the other you jump it with a paperclip (google for a diagram of what pins to jump). Turn on the jumped one first and then power on the computer normally. They will share the load.

If you know anyone else with a computer then that would be a good way to test the video card. Ask them to let you try it in their system to see if it will work on its own.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

barracudamuscle
Level 7
Just an update to my issues with a solution!

1. I did indeed hav a bad PSU which fixed the comp not rebooting on crash
2. My RAM was causing the system to BSOD on startup so I had to lock the settings in BIOS andnow its running great. Minor issue widows 7 64 bit only sees 4GB of my 6GB but BIOS sees 6 no worries

xeromist
Check the memory capacity in computer properties. If it says something like 6(4 usable) then there is a problem with the memory. Sometimes reseating the dimms can fix this.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…