cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen randomly turns black and on again.

kalist0
Level 7
Hi guys, i have this problem where my G53sx's screen turns black for around 1 or 2 seconds and it turns back on again. This happens randomly, sometimes 2-3 times continuously in a row. I thought it could be a driver issue, so i updated it to 296.10. No luck though, still happens. I've just got back my laptop from warranty for around 4 months *facepalm. previously i had a problem where my screen would not show when the laptop starts up but it was fixed with a mother board replacement. anyway, any of the gurus here care to help out?

thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Do you get a message that the "Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" after the screen blanks for 1-2 seconds?

2) Are there any Errors or Warnings in the Windows System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction?

3) What exactly are you doing on the computer when this issue occurs? The more detail, the better.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

it happens anytime, watching movie, playing games even when idling. and nope, no errors at all.

dstrakele
Level 14
What about Errors and Warnings in the System and Application Event Logs? Launch Event Viewer, expand "Windows Logs", and select "System". Then search the log for any Errors or Warnings. Report them by listing a) EventID, b) Source, and c) exact text of Description (displayed when you select the individual event from the list).

If I was experiencing this issue, I would uninstall the NVIDIA driver from Control Panel, reboot into Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper to uninstall any NVIDIA remnants (if they exist). I might also use CCleaner to clean up the registry. Then I would boot into Safe Mode and install the NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL driver and see if I could reproduce the issue.

kalist0
Level 7
ok will try the latter recomendation, thanks :). anyway checked for errors but apparently none during the flashouts.

dstrakele
Level 14
You may want to check for Errors and Warnings up to 2 hours prior to the blackouts.